NBA Draft Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by mrtramericanjr

i dont know how true that is

boston and memphis had the worst records in basketball last year, and they got the 5th and 4th pick respectivly

portland and seattle had the 5th and 6th worse redord in the L last year and ended with the first 2 picks

so the only the yop 3 teams have a chance at teh first pic is crap

Refer to my previous post, what everyone is debating about is for the 31-33rd picks. Yes any team can in reality win the lottery.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

^^ oh and I couldn't have been more wrong on Westbrook, I'll admit that. You were correct.

To be fair to you though.....he cant shoot for !$*!
laugh.gif

why the hell are warriors fans even talking about getting the number 1 pick? thats a joke it self seen how the chances are slim and none

bulls better get a bigmen

and westrbook better be working on his jump shot and handles if he wants a NBA career

[h2]2008 Draft Lottery Odds[/h2]
For the 2008 NBA Draft, the NBA determined tiebreakers on April 18, 2008.

Here are the odds for each team to get specific picks in the 2008 lottery (rounded to 3 decimal places):
[table][tr][td]Team[/td] [td]Chances[/td] [td]1st[/td] [td]2nd[/td] [td]3rd[/td] [td]4th[/td] [td]5th[/td] [td]6th[/td] [td]7th[/td] [td]8th[/td] [td]9th[/td] [td]10th[/td] [td]11th[/td] [td]12th[/td] [td]13th[/td] [td]14th[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Miami Heat[/td] [td]250[/td] [td].250[/td] [td].215[/td] [td].177[/td] [td].358[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Seattle SuperSonics[/td] [td]199[/td] [td].199[/td] [td].188[/td] [td].171[/td] [td].319[/td] [td].124[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Minnesota Timberwolves[/td] [td]138[/td] [td].138[/td] [td].142[/td] [td].145[/td] [td].238[/td] [td].290[/td] [td].045[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Memphis Grizzlies[/td] [td]137[/td] [td].137[/td] [td].142[/td] [td].145[/td] [td].085[/td] [td].323[/td] [td].156[/td] [td].013[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]New York Knicks[/td] [td]76[/td] [td].076[/td] [td].084[/td] [td].095[/td] [td]
[/td] [td].262[/td] [td].385[/td] [td].093[/td] [td].004[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Los Angeles Clippers[/td] [td]75[/td] [td].075[/td] [td].083[/td] [td].094[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td].414[/td] [td].294[/td] [td].039[/td] [td].001[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Milwaukee Bucks[/td] [td]43[/td] [td].043[/td] [td].049[/td] [td].058[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td].600[/td] [td].232[/td] [td].018[/td] [td].000[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Charlotte Bobcats[/td] [td]28[/td] [td].028[/td] [td].033[/td] [td].039[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td].725[/td] [td].168[/td] [td].008[/td] [td].000[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chicago Bulls[/td] [td]17[/td] [td].017[/td] [td].020[/td] [td].024[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td].813[/td] [td].122[/td] [td].004[/td] [td].000[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]New Jersey Nets[/td] [td]11[/td] [td].011[/td] [td].013[/td] [td].016[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td].870[/td] [td].089[/td] [td].002[/td] [td].000[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Indiana Pacers[/td] [td]8[/td] [td].008[/td] [td].009[/td] [td].012[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td].908[/td] [td].063[/td] [td].001[/td] [td].000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Sacramento Kings[/td] [td]7[/td] [td].007[/td] [td].008[/td] [td].010[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td].935[/td] [td].039[/td] [td].000[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Portland Trail Blazers[/td] [td]6[/td] [td].006[/td] [td].007[/td] [td].009[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td].960[/td] [td].018[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Golden State Warriors[/td] [td]5[/td] [td].005[/td] [td].006[/td] [td].007[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td].982[/td] [/tr][/table]

Basically the first three picks are determined bytthe ping pong ball combination and then after that, they're slotted based on their records.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Originally Posted by BaronDavis5

hope Warriors pull the impossible and get the 1st pick
laugh.gif

What do you think happens?

I mean, GSW gets the #1 pick, they're looking between Rose + Beasley.

Shouldn't the Warriors start to develop Wright along, who's shown flashes of potential this season? Or is he better suited at the 5, and have him backup Biedrins? (Assuming they resign him)

Or do you pick Rose? It's looking more likely that BDiddy would be a fool to use his player option and opt out, as, nobody is going to throw him the type of $ he's making now. But, you sign him to an extension, and then what? Looks like a crowded backcourt.

Or do you just use it as trade bait, and look to unload a bad contract/get back a veteran?

We already drafted and signed our players for next season
nerd.gif

Comeonnnnnnnnnnn Pistons..........
happy.gif
(if Warriors fans can do it, we cantoo
laugh.gif
)

So who has Miami with Beasley? Honestly though, they are so depleted across the board they could select almost any position and fill a need.

Originally Posted by 10508 Cardo Jr Ln

Originally Posted by antoekneeo

To my knowledge it has always been the top 3 determined by the lottery while picks 4-14 are based on team records.
well what the hell are picks 15-30 based on?

If only the top 3 are determined by lottery balls, why are Knicks, Warriors fans etc.. hoping for a top 3 pick? This mess can't be right. All 14 "lottery" teams position in the draft are determined by the balls.. I wasn't born yesterday so when the hell did this come about?

:edit:

This is the only solution I could come up with that justifies your answer..

14 lottery teams are placed in the lottery thing
$tern pulls 3 balls out
first ball drawn is 3rd pick? or 1st pick?
second ball is drawn.. 2nd pick
third ball is drawn.. 1st pick? or 3rd pick?

remaining 11 lotto teams fall into place depending on record

Is that correct? If so,
eek.gif
never realized that..
smh.gif
$tern with all his unwritten complications so he can 'fix' things how he sees fit.
Pretty much the first 14 picks are determined by the lottery i.e drawing picks.
Here is a scenario: Each team has an opportunity to have any pick from 1-14. Starting from the team with the worst record the percentages you see are thelikelihood of a team snagging that first pick. The percentages mean that each team has a different amount of ping pong balls in the chamber. A team with a lowpercentage has more ping pong balls and as you go up the balls decrease increasing one chance of getting that covenant number 1 pick. So the team with theworst winning percentage i.e the Heat have the fewest balls in the basket thus allowing them to have the number one pick.

Did that make any sense?

Augustin arguably the best PG in the draft....until Rose had his coming out party in the tourney....he was the best pg during the regular season.... i say heis worthy of a top 10 pick...

Hook Em

We getting the 14th pick. Just face the fact now so it won't hurt as much
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by commodity05

Augustin arguably the best PG in the draft....until Rose had his coming out party in the tourney....he was the best pg during the regular season.... i say he is worthy of a top 10 pick...

Hook Em

laugh.gif

I wouldnt pick Augustin in the top 20. Tell me what NBA guard he is defending? \

haha are u joking? tj ford went in the top 5... and hes smaller than DJ.....who does A.I guard....they are about the same size....what about chris paul..jameernelson....all about the same size....clearly u dont know much about basketball

haha are u joking? tj ford went in the top 5... and hes smaller than DJ.....who does A.I guard....they are about the same size....what about chris paul..jameer nelson....all about the same size....clearly u dont know much about basketball
I think he was referring to the lack of defensive skills, not his size. Although, his size makes it even more difficult for him to guard people.DJ would be a great fit for the Suns.

Originally Posted by commodity05

haha are u joking? tj ford went in the top 5... and hes smaller than DJ.....who does A.I guard....they are about the same size....what about chris paul..jameer nelson....all about the same size....clearly u dont know much about basketball

TJ Ford is an off the charts athlete...something Augustin is not. Both Chris Paul and Iverson struggle to guard bigger guards...its just they are elitelevel talents in other areas to make up for it. Would you put Augustin in that echelon? I certainly wouldn't. You bring up Jameer Nelson and thats theperfect comparison to me...because whats the one thing all the analysts have been saying in this Detroit series? Orlando's guards are TOO small for thePistons guards and that they're going to have to get bigger guards eventually. Nelson was gettin WORKED by Stuckey and Afflalo...the league CERTAINLYdoesn't cater to small guards right now. CP3 and AI are rare players and have the athleticism to make up for their size.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

why the hell are warriors fans even talking about getting the number 1 pick? thats a joke it self seen how the chances are slim and none
Do we really believe we're going to get the #1 pick overall? Highly unlikely. It's been posted before, we have a 0.5 chance. Relax,it's just a joke.

TJ Ford is an off the charts athlete...something Augustin is not. Both Chris Paul and Iverson struggle to guard bigger guards...its just they are elite level talents in other areas to make up for it. Would you put Augustin in that echelon? I certainly wouldn't. You bring up Jameer Nelson and thats the perfect comparison to me...because whats the one thing all the analysts have been saying in this Detroit series? Orlando's guards are TOO small for the Pistons guards and that they're going to have to get bigger guards eventually. Nelson was gettin WORKED by Stuckey and Afflalo...the league CERTAINLY doesn't cater to small guards right now. CP3 and AI are rare players and have the athleticism to make up for their size....make him about 6'2-6'3, and he is way ahead of derrik rose....imo

good points brought up.....size does affect him, no question, but based on talent...he is arguably the most talented pg in the draft....

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Do we really believe we're going to get the #1 pick overall? Highly unlikely. It's been posted before, we have a 0.5 chance. Relax, it's just a joke.
laugh.gif
yeah we're not really being serious when we talk aboutit. we know we're getting the 14th pick.

but it's just interesting to think about "what if", regardless, even if it's just meaningless banter.

Wait...people think that they choose all 14 lottery spots via the ping pong balls?

They only choose the first 3 that way...then the last 11 are placed by who had the worst record. So, if Miami (worst record) doesn't get chosen as one ofthose first 3 picks, they will automatically get the 4th pick. Someone referred to the Minnesota/Boston situation from this past season, I think he's oneof the only ones who actually gets this process..and of course the Warriors fans who want that #1 pick, lol.

Warriors and the 1 pick
laugh.gif

DJ to me is going to be solid, nothin spectacular...along the lines of Jameer Nelson.

If someone needs a PG that is sitting around 10, 11 or 12...i think it's a decent pick.

The lottery is normally held during the fourth week of May. The 2007 draft lottery will be held Tuesday, May 22nd.

Fourteen ping pong balls numbered 1-14 are placed in a standard lottery machine and four balls are drawn at random to determine the winner. Just as in most traditional lotteries, the order of the numbers are not important, so although there are 24 different permutations of the same four numbers being drawn, all are treated as the same combination. That is, 1-2-3-4 is considered to be the same as 3-4-2-1. By eliminating the importance of the order of the numbers, the 24,024 (14! / 10!, or 14x13x12x11) possible combinations are reduced to 1,001. Of these, 1,000 are divided among all the non-playoff NBA teams. One sequence (11-12-13-14) is not assigned, and is ignored if drawn; this has never occurred in practice.

In the event a lottery pick is traded to another team, the record of the original team (whose pick it was before the trade) matters in determining eligibility for the lottery, and assignment of chances.

As of 2005, with 30 NBA teams, 16 qualify for the playoffs and the remaining 14 teams are entered in the draft lottery. These 14 teams are ranked in reverse order of their regular season record and are assigned the following number of chances:

250 combinations, 25% chance of receiving the #1 pick
199 combinations, 19.9% chance
156 combinations, 15.6% chance
119 combinations, 11.9% chance
88 combinations, 8.8% chance
63 combinations, 6.3% chance
43 combinations, 4.3% chance
28 combinations, 2.8% chance
17 combinations, 1.7% chance
11 combinations, 1.1% chance
8 combinations, 0.8% chance
7 combinations, 0.7% chance
6 combinations, 0.6% chance
5 combinations, 0.5% chance
In the event of a tie, a simple tiebreaker (usually a coin flip) is performed to determine which team gets the better position. The combinations for the spots in question are split evenly among the tied teams with any extra pick given to the winner of the tiebreaker.

The lottery is conducted with witnesses verifying that all 14 balls are represented once as they are placed in the lottery machine. The balls are placed in the machine for 20 seconds to randomize prior to having the first ball drawn. The remaining three balls are drawn at 10 second intervals. NBA League Officials determine which team holds the winning combination and that franchise is awarded the #1 overall draft pick. The four balls are returned to the machine and the process is repeated to determine the second and third picks. In the event that a combination belongs to a team that has already won its pick (or if the 1 unassigned combination comes up), the round is repeated until a unique winner is determined. When the first three teams have been determined, the remaining picks are given out based on regular season record with the worst teams getting the highest picks. This assures each team that it can drop no more than 3 spots from its projected draft position.
haven't you people ever wondered why Miami cant get worse than the number four pick????

2 picks in the 1st round. Lets look for a big with the 10 & a shooter with that 21.

Wonder who will get O.J. with those who have the first 5/6 picks.

Back
Top Bottom