New California Gift Certificate Law - Exchange Gift Cards for Cash!!!

s0lehunter

Banned
There is a new law for California stating as of January 1, 2008, if you have a giftcard/certificate with a balance of <$10.00 you can redeem it forcash!! This does not apply for special promotional gift cards.

Law Summary

time to cash in some gift cards that ill never use
happy.gif

I'm on my phone so I didn't read the article, but all I needa know is where do u take it?

what if i can get gift certificates for 20% off in another state, i can still get cash for them ?

Damn, I just used my $150 gift certificate on a Canon SD1000 yesterday! If I'd known the law, I would have bought some groceries or gas...

let the scamming begin :-D

edit: nevermind, too much work for only 1.99-2.99 each transaction and they check ids for returns most likely

So you can only cash giftcards that are under $10? Um, that's still pretty cool if you ask me. McD's here I come!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

Damn, I just used my $150 gift certificate on a Canon SD1000 yesterday! If I'd known the law, I would have bought some groceries or gas...

10 bucks or less!

My Idea

Lets say you get a giftcard for $100
Buy something worth 10 bucks 10 times, then return those items to put the price back on a new gift card, then exchange those for money!
but if they require you to use the gift card u got it with, then iono

Originally Posted by s0lehunter

Originally Posted by IHeartBoost

10 bucks or less!

My Idea

Lets say you get a gift card for $100
Buy something worth 10 bucks 10 times, then return those items to put the price back on a new gift card, then exchange those for money!
but if they require you to use the gift card u got it with, then iono

tired.gif
eyes.gif

how about the large companies that let you buy giftcards on discount?
wink.gif

this is UNTRUE. if this was the case, if someone buys you a $1,000 gift card, then you can buy 100 ten dollar gift cards and exchange them for CASH.

i think not.

Originally Posted by pianoman52

this is UNTRUE. if this was the case, if someone buys you a $1,000 gift card, then you can buy 100 ten dollar gift cards and exchange them for CASH.

i think not.

....the fault lies in this law.

its a horrible law that goes against business practices.

the only issue i see with the idea is that you can get sued/fired for selling the gift cards (you sign paperwork for employee privileges)

and i know they'll give you static for returning them but its technically legal.

also, every good scam has to be polished.

So wait, do you just go back to the same store the giftcard is for, and say I want cash? Is that how it works?

Originally Posted by Bballkingsrule

So wait, do you just go back to the same store the giftcard is for, and say I want cash? Is that how it works?

Say you have a $50 gift card and your purchase comes out to $43.00 total, change gets cashed out as opposed to being credited.
pimp.gif

Outback Steakhouse has always done this. Had a $100 gift certificate, spent about $50 and cashed out the other $50

There has to be a catch later down the line....either way....I have tons of them right now that I need to use....

yeah worked for me .. bought some @!*! with my gift card with like $5 left and the lady said you want the cash or keep it in the card. (never been asked if iwanted cash ) so i said yeah and went to jamba juice
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom