New iPhone "elite" dropping soon ?

nerd.gif

I remember reading last week some time that Apple might not wait until June to drop the next phone....and my friend linked me to this this morning.

http://hothardware.com/News/Will-ATT-Lose-Their-iPhone-Exclusivity-On-Wednesday/
It's sort of hard to believe that all the hype from CESis already over and done with. Larger companies spent hundreds ofthousands of dollars to introduce and showcase new products at theshow, and now all anyone wants to talk about in the tech world is Apple. Must be nice to be Steve Jobs (or an investor). The company that gave the world the iPod and iPhone is planning a media eventon the 27th of this month, and while the world tends to believe atablet or slate of some sort is planned, there has been no definiteproof of that to this point.

We really have no idea what's nextfrom Apple; we just know that it'll be something to unleash one'screative side according to a tagline in the invite. According to aninside source close to the going-ons involved in all of this, a newtablet of some sort may not be the only thing on deck for nextWednesday though. We have been led to believe by an inside source that AT&T will lose their iPhone exclusivityon the same day, though it's not yet clear what other carrier (orcarriers) will be stepping in to also carry the phone. For anyone whohas followed the saga, you may notice that you haven't seen AT&Tfighting to extend their original exclusive agreement of late. In fact,they have spent most of their time fighting Verizon's negative adcampaign.

iphone3gs.jpg

Thismay not be all that surprising. Inside of AT&T, we are hearing thatthe iPhone is causing more trouble than ever before. On some level,having the iPhone is hurting AT&T's image. Because they are theonly company to carry it, and it's such a data hog, it's largely toblame for AT&T's network troubles. We don't remember hearing aboutAT&T's "horrible network" before the iPhone--do you? The iPhoneitself doesn't really handle the switch from 3G to EDGE very well, socalls that are in-progress tend to fail whenever the 3G bands aren'toptimal and the phone attempts to step down to EDGE. It seems thatAT&T is tired of taking the heat for this, and at this point, theymay be smart to just let another carrier take some of those customerswho are most inclined to complain.

We also heard that whenAT&T loses their grip on the iPhone, they'll be introducing a bunchof other new smartphones with new platforms in order to "compensate."At CES, it was announced that new Windows Mobile, Android andwebOS-based phones were destined to land on AT&T, but few detailswere provided as to when. Now, it seems the puzzle pieces are beginningto slot together. It's possible that AT&T recently went searchingfor deals with other phone makers in order to proactively bolster itssmartphone lineup for when this day-of-doom would come. AT&T hasgained a huge amount of subscribers from being the only operator withthe iPhone, and if it loses that advantage, it'll need some othercutting-edge, high-brow phones to keep people's attention.

one-droid-iphone--pre.jpg

One big happy family soon?

It'shard to say what'll happen if a carrier like Verizon gets the iPhone.Will existing iPhone users on AT&T run in droves to switch,regardless of the early termination fee? Will existing AT&T iPhoneusers stick with their plan? Maybe Apple will simply see a new influxof iPhone users, as customers who were always wary of AT&T finallymake the jump now that the phone is a on a network with betterperceived quality? We still have to take all of this as rumor for now,but we have very good reason to believe that we'll see AT&T quietly(or perhaps not so quietly) lose its grip on the iPhone come Wednesday.What happens after that is anyone's guess, but we would expect theoverall iPhone market share in the US to surge quite significantly ifit's made available on a CDMA carrier.

my bad about posting only a smiley at the start of the thread, my iphone was trippen and wouldn't let me type anything so i hopped on my sklx...

my homie said a new iphone should be releasing this spring/summer, but he provided no additional info!
so since i know a lot of NTers are extremly in "the know" i was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this rumor!

links/pics would be greatly appreciated.
and knowing how apple is, i would not doubt this move one bit.
[*just a speculation* maybe it has something to do with iphone moving to verizon?]

I figured AT&T was losing the exclusivity, they are picking up 5 android phones, 2 webOS phones, about 2/3 HTC phones and those will be major phones that I guess you can say will make up for the lost of the partnership.

But is the 4.0 OS releasing soon?

I don't think Apple will be doing an exclusive deal again, well maybe?

I have an iPhone now and I can't wait for AT&T to lose its exclusivity on the iPhone. Hopefully a lot of people will drop as well, every ones that's complaining needs to get the hell out and to switch to Verizon.

haha I love when its this time of the season, while everyone has their mind on something else apple is in the kitchen cooking up something new

let the speculations begin

Originally Posted by MECKS

i found the phone. via google

iphone-pro-gizmodo.jpg

it looks so siccckkkkkk

I don't think that's real.  Hope nobody gets their hopes up
laugh.gif
  still pretty slick though
pimp.gif

yall think at&t gone lose that exclusivity
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

#$*! i hope it release earlier than anticipated cause my 2g is running on its last leg
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by MECKS

i found the phone. via google

iphone-pro-gizmodo.jpg

it looks so siccckkkkkk
those arent real, but i cant wait til the news about the new iphone and their tablet
eek.gif

its by gizmodo tho. they've always been correct when they leak info

and adopting a keyboard would be one of the best busnies moves by them. now people that complain of not having a physical keyboard wud want to cop the iphone

If At&T decides to stop carrying the iPhone, I will be extremely pissed off. That's the only reason I switched from T-Mo to AT&T anyways.....

Back
Top Bottom