New Jersey governor Jon Corzine is a joke

[font=arial, helvetica][font=Times New Roman, serif]UPDATE: Corzine agrees illegal immigrants should be able to pay in-state tuition rates[/font]
[font=Times New Roman, serif]
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
[/font]
[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]A state panel on immigrant policy released recommendations Monday that include in-state tuition eligibility and driving privileges for illegal immigrants, as well as the creation of a commission on New Americans.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Gov. Jon S. Corzine, who convened the Blue Ribbon Advisory Panel on Immigrant Policy last August, said Monday he agrees that illegal immigrants, especially those brought to the U.S. as children and attending local schools, should be able to pay in-state tuition at the state's public colleges.

About 10 states allow illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition rates, and similar federal legislation, called the Dream Act, has been proposed in Congress.

Corzine said most of New Jersey's immigrants are in the state legally, and that the children of the state's estimated 400,000 illegal immigrants "are not here because they chose to be, but because of their families, and they should not be discriminated against."

Corzine differed with the panel on extending driving privileges to illegal immigrants in New Jersey, saying that's an issue for the federal government to decide.

"There's a fundamental flaw to letting people drive without insurance and licenses," Corzine said. "Nevertheless, New Jersey has very strict laws on driver's licenses. We need a national policy on how we identify people, not state by state."

A recent Monmouth University/Gannett New Jersey Poll finds that most New Jerseyans oppose offering driver's licenses or in-state tuition to undocumented immigrants living in the state.

Sixty-two percent oppose allowing illegal immigrants living in the state to get some type of limited driver's license. Just 33 percent favor the idea.

Similarly, few New Jerseyans favor offering in-state college tuition rates to undocumented immigrants or their children living in the state. Only 20 percent favor in-state tuition for illegal immigrants; 32 percent favor offering it to their children.

The tuition and drivers licensee recommendations were among dozens of issues addressed in the report, which looked at ways to better integrate immigrants - who account for more than 20 percent of the state's population - into all aspects of society.

The report recommends several ways to make the delivery of federally mandated social services more culturally relevant, as well as improve conditions for immigrants in education, health and the labor force, among other areas.

Corzine said he'll push lawmakers to approve the creation of the state commission on immigrant issues, although funding for new programs is expected to be scarce in the current economic climate. If approved, New Jersey would become one of the few states with a government entity dedicated to immigrant affairs.

The governor also is urging a re-examination of an immigration directive from the New Jersey Attorney General ordering police to notify immigration authorities when they arrest someone suspected of being an illegal immigrant. He's also backing moratorium on federal immigration raids in the state, which he says often tear mixed-status families apart.

Some immigrant advocacy groups welcomed the panel's report as a good first step.

"It's not a one-shot deal, but provides a blueprint for the future," said Shai Goldstein, New Jersey Immigration Policy Network's executive director, who was a panel member. "This is not just for the state of New Jersey, this is a national model, because we've seen stops and starts when people just try to deal with immigration issue by issue."

Rita Dentino, coordinator for Casa Freehold, an immigrant advocacy group praised the recommendations: "We're thrilled that they had the blue-ribbon committee in the first place. That's a progressive thing," Dentino said.

Dentino said she is happy Corzine picked a balanced group of people for the committee and gave them a concrete time line.

"We feel it (the report) is a very good thing for immigrants here in New Jersey as well as around the country," Dentino said.

"We're talking about things that are for the well-being of the people of the state of New Jersey. . . . If one part of the people are held back, we're all held back," she said.

"We're just very thrilled to have arrived at this day," said Dentino. She said she's optimistic that the recommendations will be implemented.

Frank Argote-Freyre, head of the Latino Leadership Alliance of New Jersey's Monmouth County chapter, also lauded the report. The president of the alliance, Martin Perez, was a member of the panel.

Two positives that jump out at Argote-Freyre from the panel report are the suggested creation of a government agency dedicated to immigrant affairs, and the proposal to let undocumented New Jersey residents pay in-state college tuition rates.

The government agency would monitor civil rights abuses against immigrants and help integrate them into society, Argote-Freyre said. This integration is crucial as the immigrant workforce becomes more important, he said.

Argote-Freyre welcomed the recommendation that undocumented immigrants should pay in-state tuition rates. He also welcomed Corzine's endorsement of the proposal.

"We think that's a very important decision on his part," Argote-Freyre said.

His concern now is how much "political muscle" Corzine will put into making the recommendation a reality.

"It would be cruel and inhumane not to allow (undocumented immigrants) to get an education," Argote-Freyre said.
[/font]

I never understood why the ILLEGALS are even allowed to attend college in the first place.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

I never understood why the ILLEGALS are even allowed to attend college in the first place.
So you rather have them be uneducated and not able to speak a lick of english? If there here to better themselves then more power to them, hellthis country was made from immigrants anyways. If there going to be here I rather have them be able to function in our soceity rather then be outcasts.

laugh.gif

dude...

Funny, I cant even tell if your joking or not.

I don't understand how someone trying to live a better life can be illegal.

Originally Posted by JaYzNyAyAlLdAy

indifferent.gif
wow. what a waste of life you are

na hes not a waste of life he just has very conservative "good ol boy" christian values
laugh.gif

Its better that they do. I know a bunch of illegal immigrants that attend college because they want to better themselves. Thats why their parents brought themhere when they were young in the first place. Because they wouldn't of had that in their country of origin. I don't see anything wrong with that. Mostof them are waiting on there turn to be legalized. A process which takes up to 10 years if you didnt know.

The license thing..... Its good IMO because this way you can keep track of all the undocumented people in the state. Its not like they don't drive anywaysbut now they have a chance to do it legally.

I'm against this as well. I take offense to anyone not paying taxes.
If they set up a system where illegals could pay income/property tax, I would be all for this.

Originally Posted by jmedora

If they set up a system where illegals could pay income/property tax, I would be all for this.
Why do people always say this?

They have to shop right? That includes paying taxes.
Some of them(not all) can't get a house so they rent. But the ones that do obviously pay taxes.
Some of them DO do their taxes at the end of the year. They have a special number they give you to do your taxes if you don't have a social securitynumber.

So you are basically saying that someone like me. Who was illegally here but eventually became a citizen shouldn't be allowed to geteducated? If you aren't being sarcastic then damn you are narrow-minded. This country was built upon immigrants and it's still expanding became ofthem. Granted since I'm of European descent I don't get the same stereotype that South Americans and Mexicans usually get, but it's still messedup that people think this way. People come here for a reason, to better themselves and their future. If they pay the taxes then they should be able toreceive most of the other benefits citizens do. Hell, I bet a good chunk of the illegals would take an amnesty like Reagan did in the 80s in a heartbeat ifthey had the opportunity.

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

Originally Posted by jmedora

Why do people always say this?

They have to shop right? That includes paying taxes.
Some of them(not all) can't get a house so they rent. But the ones that do obviously pay taxes.
Some of them DO do their taxes at the end of the year. They have a special number they give you to do your taxes if you don't have a social security number.
Being an illegal you can buy a house and pay taxes. You'll get a lone as long as you have a credit history and a 30% down. I know because mymom was ready to do this when we bought our house but got our green cards like right before the closing. So brush up your knowledge guys.

U know what. If your ILLEGAL get the hell out of our country, go back to school get educated if you want to come here get your green card. Seriously, oureconomy sucks we do not need anymore freeloaders wasting our tax dollers when it's harder for our LEGAL poor american kids to get financial aid becausethey give it all to you ILLEGALS. Plus on top of that there are no jobs, the work force sees it easier to cheat the ILLEGALS on wages than it is to findsomeone who is more than capable of performing the job and pay them minimum wage. If you want to come into our country do it right, if not I hope they deportyou!

Originally Posted by Bad N fluenz

U know what. If your ILLEGAL get the hell out of our country, go back to school get educated if you want to come here get your green card. Seriously, our economy sucks we do not need anymore freeloaders wasting our tax dollers when it's harder for our LEGAL poor american kids to get financial aid because they give it all to you ILLEGALS. Plus on top of that there are no jobs, the work force sees it easier to cheat the ILLEGALS on wages than it is to find someone who is more than capable of performing the job and pay them minimum wage. If you want to come into our country do it right, if not I hope they deport you!
laugh.gif
you talk as if its that easy to get a card and come here. Just in my parents country alone you have to have several things to even be considered for a visa. You have to have 2 bank accounts with so much money in itand own at least 1 property. The kids can't even go to school most of the time because they have to work to help pay for food and other simple things.So no, that means not everybody can come here legally. You think people are going to eat %%@@ and stay like that for the rest of their lives???? Just likeany human beings thought process they want to better themselves.

All of what you said is in present time. I'm sure the numbers have been down of people coming in to the US. Just like I'm sure the numbers are up ofpeople going back to their countries.

Originally Posted by rickybadman

smh.gif
Wow, just wow... I agree that they should not be allowed pay in-state tuition. If they don't pay taxes, they should not get that privilege.
even though you were being sarcastic... i agree with that statement, why should they go to a institution that is paid for paritally by taxes thatthey do not pay. But i think we need to overhaul the process for becoming a citizen or at least something to deal with this problem

Originally Posted by lakersmets49ers

indifferent.gif

na hes not a waste of life he just has very conservative "good ol boy" christian values
laugh.gif

I'm not Christian, clown.

Ya'll are missing the point.

They are here I-L-L-E-G-A-L-Y, you know, like not suppose to be here in the first place? You want to come to school here? Apply for a student visa likeeveryone else.

So you are basically saying that someone like me. Who was illegally here but eventually became a citizen shouldn't be allowed to get educated?

NO. If you are I-L-L-E-G-A-L that means you are not suppose to be here in the first place, why is that so hard to understand?

So tell me. What is the point of having laws?

I dont have a problem with them wanting to better their lives, I'm all for it. Buy why not do it legally? There are a majority of immigrants who actuallydo it the correct way.

Originally Posted by lakersmets49ers

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

I'm not Christian, clown.

Ya'll are missing the point.

They are here I-L-L-E-G-A-L-Y, you know, like not suppose to be here in the first place? You want to come to school here? Apply for a student visa like everyone else.

So you are basically saying that someone like me. Who was illegally here but eventually became a citizen shouldn't be allowed to get educated?

NO. If you are I-L-L-E-G-A-L that means you are not suppose to be here in the first place, why is that so hard to understand?

So tell me. What is the point of having laws?

I dont have a problem with them wanting to better their lives, I'm all for it. Buy why not do it legally? There are a majority of immigrants who actually do it the correct way.

in your perfect little utopia world maybe that would happen where everyone does things by the book, and follows all the rules and everything, but this is a dowhat you gotta do to get by world, and them being i-l-l-e-g-a-l isn't nearly as bad as what some of the higherups have been doing with bailout money andwhat l-e-g-a-l people do here in this country on a regular basis.

if it bothers you so much go to the border and wait by the ports with a cowboy hat on and two guns drawn like yosemitie sam and start rounding the illegals upthen.

you never answered my question as well turbo so ill repeat it again. So you rather have them be uneducated and not able tospeak a lick of english? If there here to better themselves then more power to them, hell this country was made from immigrants anyways. If there going to behere I rather have them be able to function in our soceity rather then be outcasts.

the point is, illegal immigration is something thats going to happen regardless of whos in charge and this country is never going to put its foot down on it,if the people who come here illegally make the effort to function in this society and live a decent life better then the minimal jobs that are usually reservedfor them, then more power to them.

also in response to the do things legally mumbo jumbo. do you know how long it takes to become a u.s citizen legally. if i was in that position i would justsay screw all that nonsense and get here the quickest way i can because i wanna better myself.

Originally Posted by ericberry14

Originally Posted by rickybadman

Fede DPT wrote:

smh.gif
Wow, just wow... I agree that they should not be allowed pay in-state tuition. If they don't pay taxes, they should not get that
privilege.
even though you were being sarcastic... i agree with that statement, why should they go to a institution that is paid for paritally by taxes that they do not pay. But i think we need to overhaul the process for becoming a citizen or at least something to deal with this problem

Thats a big misconception on NT. Ya'll might want to do a little research before you start making assumptions. Many illegals have work permits, socialsecurity numbers, and pay income taxes.

I never understood why the ILLEGALS are even allowed to stay in this country.
the key word is "illegal".....biggest mistake the U.S. ever made....if you want to come to america take the proper steps to achievecitizenship

they shouldnt be able to attend...taking up useful space. they're illegal....theres a large population around here nad they annoy the hell out of me.

Back
Top Bottom