New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

indifferent.gif

looking at that starting rotation
sick.gif

lets not forget the red sox have the best rotation on earth [/sacarstic tone]
laugh.gif

Ten minutes after New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman left the homeof CC Sabathia last week, Sabathia phoned Cashman.
"I'm all-in," he said.
With those words, Sabathia committed to a seven-year, $161 million deal with the Yankees.
"I think this is thebest place for me to try to win a championship," Sabathia said Thursday, on his way to the news conference where he was formally introduced."Everybody had speculated about me staying in California. I had always talked about winning a championship, and you look at the Yankees, it'ssomething they contend for" just about every year. Sabathia was phoned twice during his negotiations by Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter -- recruiting calls -- and Jeter told him about how much fun it was playing inNew York. The day after he reached his agreement with the Yankees, he called Jeter, and the friends talked again about what it would be like to play together.Two days before Sabathia made his decision, Reggie Jackson had been in Las Vegas at the winter meetings as part of the Yankees delegation that met with theleft-hander. Sabathia, who grew up in the Bay Area, found himself distracted by the presence of the Hall of Famer: "I was just thinking, 'Would it beweird to ask [Jackson] for an autograph?'" It wasn't until subsequent meetings that Sabathia got to dig in and, without Jackson around, askquestions about the Yankees and New York. Sabathia said that he and his wife, Amber, are in the process of finding a house.

Watching the Press Conference now.

smh.gif
@ the Jays, must suck to see AJ in the same division.

NEW YORK -- Wearing a hard hat and a million-dollar grin, CC Sabathia toured the Yankee Stadium construction site Wednesday, checking out the facility where hewill script the New York portion of his baseball future.
The Yankees' building process may not be complete, but they feel they have added a pair of cornerstones who will pave the way to the organization'snext championship.

Representing the organization's top offseason priorities, the Yankees introduced Sabathia and fellow rotation newcomer A.J. Burnett to the New Yorkmedia on Thursday, holding what may be the final news conference at the classic Yankee Stadium facility.

"I'm excited to be here," Sabathia said. "I want the ball every day, and I feel I can take on that [ace] role. With A.J., Mariano[Rivera], Joba [Chamberlain], Derek [Jeter] and [Alex Rodriguez] here, what better support can you have?"

Standing side-by-side in the downstairs Stadium Club, across 161st Street from where both pitchers will ply their trade next season, Sabathia and Burnettwere the Yankees' top two choices from the free-agent market as the club aimed to upgrade after missing the playoffs in the old ballpark's farewellseason.

"This is a dream come true," Burnett said. "I'm looking forward to it; it's going to be a fun ride. I want to pitch in thepostseason, and I'm here to win."

Both hurlers agreed to wear pinstripes last week, with Sabathia agreeing to terms on a seven-year, $161 million deal and Burnett accepting a five-year,$82.5 million pact. The pitchers were in New York to complete physicals and finalize paperwork this week.

Though the Yankees left no doubt where their intentions were with Sabathia, leaping to offer him a six-year commitment on Nov. 14 -- the first day theycould do so -- the California-born left-hander played a waiting game.

His preference may have been to play on the West Coast or in the National League, but having received only one other offer, a five-year, $100 millionproposal from the Milwaukee Brewers, Sabathia held off on accepting the Yankees' pact until he knew for sure that a California club would not enter thefray.

With the Yankees' needs in focus and negotiations stalled for weeks, general manager Brian Cashman took the initiative. Meeting with Sabathia twice inLas Vegas during the Winter Meetings, Cashman was then invited to the hurler's home in Vallejo, Calif., approximately 30 miles outside of SanFrancisco.

"When the opportunity was given, that's a flight I had to take," said Cashman, who quickly cleared his schedule and dashed out of the Bellagiohotel.

There, Cashman met with Sabathia's family and pitched some of the benefits of calling New York home, including entertainment options, educationalopportunities and the leafy suburbs from which to commute. The sales pitch clicked, and with another year and $21 million on the table, Sabathia agreed to wearYankees pinstripes.

Jeter also helped alleviate concerns about the city lifestyle in conversations with Sabathia last month.

"You can stay out there six months in the offseason and still be a West Coast guy, right?" Jeter said. "I think one of the questions that alot of people have when you come to New York is they have families that don't necessarily want to live in the city. There's a lot of different placesyou can live."

Sabathia was 17-10 with a 2.70 ERA last season for the Indians and Brewers. After switching teams in a July trade, he went 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA down thestretch in helping the Brewers make the playoffs for the first time since 1982.

With their top target in the fold, the Yankees then moved quickly to secure Burnett, who was weighing an offer to join the Braves.

New York agreed to commit a fifth contractual year to the right-hander, who opted out of his contract with the Toronto Blue Jays after setting a new careerhigh in victories. That fifth year was enough to land Burnett, with the right-hander accepting a $82.5 million pact to remain on the East Coast.

Geographical proximity played a large role -- Burnett's wife, Karen, dislikes flying, and the Braves knew they were operating at a disadvantage becausethey could not move Atlanta closer to the Burnett's Maryland residence. New York is only a three-hour car ride away, and now it will become home.

The Yankees held Burnett in high regard, especially this season, when he was 18-10 with a 4.07 ERA in 35 games for Toronto. They had a tantalizing look athim when he went 3-1 with a 1.64 ERA in five starts against the Yankees. Just as importantly, Burnett is 5-0 lifetime against the Red Sox; in 10 big leagueseasons, Burnett is 87-76 with a 3.81 ERA.

"A.J. Burnett has great stuff," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "I think he's matured a lot as a pitcher, as well. He's learned tocontrol the running game a lot better. He attacks hitters and gets hitters out quickly, throws a lot of strikes, fields his position. I think he's muchmore complete as a pitcher than he was a couple of years ago."

On adjusting to life in New York and dealing with the increased media scrutiny, neither pitcher felt they would have trouble making the transition.

"I've talked to guys like Jeter, guys who have been here," Sabathia said. "I'll answer questions whether there's 100 reporters atmy locker or five. I'm not afraid of telling you how I feel, whether I pitched good or bad."

"I think I'll fit right in," Burnett said. "I grew up in this game. You don't point fingers, you take the blame like a man and beaccountable."
Following the introductory news conference, there was expected to be a photo opportunity across 161st Street, where Sabathia and perhapsBurnett will catch some of their first glimpses at the Yankees' new home -- rising quickly in anticipation of its first game action in April 2009.

pics of burnetts wife and kim jones please....

anyway burnett is on the mike francesa show.....

after all that crap he talked about him, i wanna see what burnett gonna say

Originally Posted by GotHolesInMySocks

pics of burnetts wife and kim jones please....

anyway burnett is on the mike francesa show.....

after all that crap he talked about him, i wanna see what burnett gonna say

Man just because I love Andruw Jones & have that belief in my favorite players so bring em on!

LOL he has to do better then last season & with the line up the Yankees have why not.

Manny LF
Andruw CF
Nady RF

!!! OWWWW We Gon' Be Sippin' Grand Cru all the way down Battery Park.. LOL Wishful thinkin....

I wonder if Bernie's gonna continue his musical career or look into becoming a coach further down the road...

[h1]Pettitte Hopes To Return To Yankees[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 18 at 7:16pm CST]

On the day the Yankees introduced their new big-name pitchers, The New York Post reports that Andy Pettitte still wants to play inpinstripes. According to the Post Joe Girardi talked with Pettitte and heard that "he is still excited about coming back."

Girardi heard that Pettitte "is very excited" about recent additions A.J. Burnett and C.C.Sabathia. The Post also reports that Yankees GM Brian Cashman thinks the negotiations are progressing well for the Yankees.

I hate these rich @@@ Dummies. You can not BUY A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!! Failure everytime!!! You got an all-star team that can't win $##. Get out and recruitsome good up and coming talent. Stop trying to buy every god damn thing.

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

You guys wantin Manny to come need your $+#*%%! head checked.

Why? Because we'd have two of the top 5 hitters in baseball and sure fire hall-of-famers hitting next to each other? Yeah that'd suck.

Originally Posted by Face82

I hate these rich @@@ Dummies. You can not BUY A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!! Failure everytime!!! You got an all-star team that can't win %%%. Get out and recruit some good up and coming talent. Stop trying to buy every god damn thing.

smh.gif

We've got our talent in the Minors..

Cashman was very adamant about not giving up prospects on big name players, and so far, he's kept true to his word.

We have the dough to sign big name players while keeping our homegrown talent under our eye.

And sure, Manny may be a headcase, but I'd love to see him in Pinstripes, hitting right after A-Rod...

I'm not scared about what antics Manny brings...We've had our share of nuts that worked out well for us..See: Reggie.

i'll love to have Manny on the teatm. If we don't get Pettitte i don't think its that big of a deal. I think Hughes is ready. But i won't bemad if we get Pettitte either. We can use Hughes as a long reliever or fill in starter like Ramiro Mendoza.

Originally Posted by Face82

I hate these rich @@@ Dummies. You can not BUY A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!! Failure everytime!!! You got an all-star team that can't win %%%. Get out and recruit some good up and coming talent. Stop trying to buy every god damn thing.

you sound broke, btw the marlins bought a championship so i guess it has somewhat of a success rate .

some pics from yesterday, hope they work

3628857.JPG

r226422970.jpg

r358211298.jpg

capt.b40c98afbb1c4ef3ba529c96f33a6c00.yankees_pitchers_baseball_nyy104.jpg

2008_12_18t172124_326x450_us_baseball_yankees_pitchers.jpg

capt.ca764616676a4e868d4b12e96a6d338b.yankees_pitchers__baseball__nyy102.jpg

8367c9edc2d41856d61f2b4b82cc700a-getty-84013316nl015_new_york_yank.jpg

c206ff7b471738b6b3990b61843a1ec5-getty-84013316nl022_new_york_yank.jpg

r1733015701.jpg

angels get tex means it will be between dogders and yankees in the manny talks
happy.gif
i bet he lands with the yankees just because hes mad at the dodgers for notoffering up the contract he wants

Back
Top Bottom