New York YANKEES spring training thread......... 2 days until season starts: LETS GO YANKEES!

pimp.gif
@ what Tex says about Donnie.

"Theres nothing better than being a Yankee"

Well the hell with Andy like I said before.

But I think that Andy don't even want to retire he just wants more money.
He knows if he takes a pay cut from 16 mill to 10 mill then that automatically means he would have to take a pay cut from the 10 mill to comeback. (Barring aCY Younglol)

He greedy.. He trying to be on that one year contract swag like Clemens when he isn't as good anymore.
He knows if he announces he wants a multi-year deal it'll definitely be less then the 16 mill & 10 mill this year & potentially around 7 mill for anext year.

He aint trying to end up like Derek Lowe... LOL

Remember this?
The Yankees signed free agent P Carl Pavano to a 4 year, $39.95 million contract, with an option for 2009.
Fast forward to 2009:
The Indians signed Pavano to a one-year deal. He gets $1.5MM guaranteed plus another $5.3MM in possible incentives.
2007 Cy Young - C.C. Sabathia, Cleveland Indians
2008 Cy Young - Cliff Lee, Cleveland Indians
2009 Cy Young - Carl Pavano, Cleveland Indians

pimp.gif

Kiddin Like Jason wrote:
Remember this?
The Yankees signed free agent P Carl Pavano to a 4 year, $39.95 million contract, with an option for 2009.
Fast forward to 2009:
The Indians signed Pavano to a one-year deal. He gets $1.5MM guaranteed plus another $5.3MM in possible incentives.

pimp.gif

He made $275K and inning over his last contract so if he keeps that up expect around 5 2/3 innings pitched
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Remember this?
Fast forward to 2009:

pimp.gif

The hell outta here
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Remember this?
Fast forward to 2009:

pimp.gif

Can't wait to see the reception he gets at New Yankee Stadium. I trust that Eric Wedge will skip over his start in the rotation during thatearly-season series in New York.
roll.gif

NEW YORK -- Mark Teixeira beamed Tuesday as he donned a pinstriped Yankees jersey for the first time, squinting through the rapid-fire flickering of the assembled still photographers at Yankee Stadium.
It was a moment set into motion more than three weeks earlier, when the free-agent first baseman dined with his wife, Leigh, for their regular date and attempted to find some clarity with their situation.

Sitting at a restaurant table in Texas, Teixeira asked his wife where -- all financial matters being equal -- they would want to move their family. When the answer came back, "New York," Teixeira's destination was sealed.

"We were really waiting for teams to drop out," Teixeira said. "I said to Leigh, we were sitting at dinner, 'Everything's equal. Where would you want to play?' Finally, she broke down and said, 'I want you to be a Yankee.' That's what did it for me."

The decision left the Red Sox, who had maxed out with an offer of eight years at $170 million, stunned in the cold.

It was a move that Boston could not counter -- the next-best offensive player on the open market is Manny Ramirez, who has no intention of returning to Fenway Park as anything but a visiting player.

"Mark had a very sound interest in Boston and certainly we had discussions," agent Scott Boras said. "We had some very firm dialogue with them and some exchanges.

"... The winning part was very important to him, and both Boston and New York offered that. The economics were certainly something that were in the ballpark of one another. When Leigh told him that New York would work better for their family, I think that was the deciding factor."

Truth be told, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman had his doubts within a two-hour window of when Teixeira's Dec. 23 decision to accept the Yankees' eight-year, $180 million offer became public knowledge.

Cashman said that the wheels were set in motion by a December visit to a hotel in Washington, D.C., where the Lakers were staying while in town to play the Wizards.

After spotting Los Angeles coach Phil Jackson in the lobby, Cashman would soon meet his future first baseman, spending the entire afternoon and evening with Teixeira. The discussion ranged from Teixeira's family to his pregame routine to his assessment of the Yankees from afar.

"It was just a long baseball conversation that felt like an hour, because time flew," Cashman said. "He's very passionate about this game. He's certainly got goals that he intends to reach. They're all team-oriented goals. It turned out to be time well spent."

Cashman said he returned to New York telling co-chairman Hal Steinbrenner that, though the Yankees still needed to add starting pitching, they should strongly consider pursuing Teixeira as well. It was an unexpected twist, but one worth investigating.

"Without a doubt," Cashman said, "this was a deviation from our plan."

The Yankees did make an initial offer to Teixeira, proposing $20 million per year, but it was not accepted and was quickly yanked by the club. As Cashman criss-crossed the country in securing CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett, Teixeira's saga continued to play out.

Eventually, Boras' cell phone buzzed with information that the Angels had bowed out, leaving the Red Sox, Orioles and Nationals as the most interested parties.

"You really don't know," Teixeira said. "Everyone made offers early and it was kind of a cat-and-mouse game. I just told my agent, 'When there are definitive offers that are final offers, let me know.'"

You might assume Mark Teixeira chose the Yankees for money. Turns out it was more about love.

Teixeira, in his introductory news conference at the old Yankee Stadium, said on Tuesday he wasn't sure he wanted to be a Yankee until his wife, Leigh, decided for the couple that New York was the place they wanted to be.

Of course, the $180 million the Yankees have committed to Teixeira didn't hurt. But his agent, Scott Boras, said, "Mark did not take his best financial offer."

If true, then Teixeira is a rare free agent and an ever rarer Boras client. The Yankees threw the most money at CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett and got both pitchers. They waited on the outskirts of the Teixeira sweepstakes and swooped in after the Red Sox -- the early frontrunners -- pulled out before Christmas.

The Yankees agreed to terms with Teixeira on Dec. 23. Maybe it was Brian Cashman's negotiating savvy, or Teixeira's life-long love of Yankee legend Don Mattingly, or the chance to play in the new Yankee Stadium that swayed him.

"Once my wife told me she wanted to be in New York and wanted me to be a Yankee, it was pretty much a done deal," he said.

Teixeira said that discussion happened Dec. 12.

Teixeira, 28, is a switch-hitting first baseman. The Maryland native said playing on the East Coast was a big factor for him. He also said the Red Sox's final offer was not as lucrative as the Yankees'.

Teixeira will wear No. 25 -- Jason Giambi's number. Mattingly's 23 is retired.

I guess we know who wears the pants in the family
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I think the only reason he didn't sign sooner then the 23rd was because the Yankees didn't have an offer on the table..... they didn't make theiroffer until the 23rd.... of course once his wife & Tex saw it was $180 million that'd ONLY help the Yankees cause
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

TBONE95860:
[h3]TEIXEIRA WIFE decided on the Yankees, not Mark, NOT the because of that infamous Yankee $$$[/h3]
Fixed.
laugh.gif
The Yankees didn't have an offer onthe table though.... and they didn't make the highest offer according to Boras... sooo
Plus Tex was sounding like he definitely would do what she'd say during his interview with YES..... saying the best decision he's ever made in his lifewas going to college because that's where he met his wife.
We'll never know the entire truth.... but he seems like a believable guy.

Back
Top Bottom