NIKE Air Jordan IV OG White Fire Red: Black Friday 2020: Nov. 28th

That guys who posted them is legit he always has early pairs. Anyone who would question the heel shape this photo should help this is 89 vs the 19 there is like 2 inches of left out heel collar lol.
IMG_20201014_121353.jpg
Thanks for posting this. This back angle also shows what's been going on here for years.

So are the shape complaints something that's exclusive to the guys who had the OGs? Seems everytime an OG is released that specific group is very vocal about what they don't like and I promise you I try to sympathize with the guys but most times I see nothing wrong with the shoes they complain about. I didn't start collecting until 2017 so maybe that's why they all look fine to me.
But were they really? Be honest.

OGs had flaws too. Some folks on here got rose colored glasses.
It's not about flaws. Today's shoes are built far better than the shoes were back in the late '80s and in the '90s. I had to return tons of shoes, Jordans included, due to soles coming unglued and things like that.
The complaints about shape are mostly just about looks. The OGs just looked a lot better/cooler with the proportions and slants they had. If the retros were new shoes being released for the first time, no one would complain because we'd have no idea what they COULD have looked like instead. Unfortunately, we do know what these shoes DID look like once upon a time, hence the disappointment about the modern versions.

But were they really? Be honest.

OGs had flaws too. Some folks on here got rose colored glasses.
Well I don't know dude. Some speak out of genuine objectivity, especially when they're mostly referring to the shape and not the materials or overall finish & quality. Seriously, just take a glimpse at the OG's and you've overseen the subject.

With that said, there's indeed some overly dramatic people imho. Those 2020's look really cool.

Honestly fellas I like the recent pics shown. Would I prefer the more original alternative? Without question I would. But we all had to know they were not going to go there. People complaining, keeping complaining. It does annoy me at times but overall I get it. Because WHEN they release Charcoal 7s and 9s, I am probably gonna go M marztharealist on them if they butcher them up. There is nothing wrong with the consumer voicing their opinion. Even if they buy. We all know if we dislike THAT much, we can walk away. Or send em back.
I really do not feel you have to be a certain age to qualify for an opinion on these either. A 17 year old that looks at pics of originals can come up with their own conclusion to what looks better. I have never seen a reissue that looks better than its original. But, several may say the other. I like what I see for what they are. Just like I did with the Black Cements.

Honestly fellas I like the recent pics shown. Would I prefer the more original alternative? Without question I would. But we all had to know they were not going to go there. People complaining, keeping complaining. It does annoy me at times but overall I get it. Because WHEN they release Charcoal 7s and 9s, I am probably gonna go M marztharealist on them if they butcher them up. There is nothing wrong with the consumer voicing their opinion. Even if they buy. We all know if we dislike THAT much, we can walk away. Or send em back.
I really do not feel you have to be a certain age to qualify for an opinion on these either. A 17 year old that looks at pics of originals can come up with their own conclusion to what looks better. I have never seen a reissue that looks better than its original. But, several may say the other. I like what I see for what they are. Just like I did with the Black Cements.
I will always believe it's important for us to keep pointing out the things we don't like. If everyone just sat back in silence or always just took what they gave us with a smile and a thank you, they'd probably never change anything for the better. It may take years for them to finally do it, but it happens. The latest round of 11 retros proves it.

This shape and the buttery leather. :wow: I never in a million years would have thought it was all down-hill from here.

If I knew what I know now I would have bought multiple pairs of these and made my own Militarys and Fire reds. Then just sole swapped every 10-15 years. The all-white is a perfect blank template. These went on sale where I was, I think down to $99 or $89.
20201014_144343.jpg

It's not about flaws. Today's shoes are built far better than the shoes were back in the late '80s and in the '90s. I had to return tons of shoes, Jordans included, due to soles coming unglued and things like that.
The complaints about shape are mostly just about looks. The OGs just looked a lot better/cooler with the proportions and slants they had. If the retros were new shoes being released for the first time, no one would complain because we'd have no idea what they COULD have looked like instead. Unfortunately, we do know what these shoes DID look like once upon a time, hence the disappointment about the modern versions.
Thanks for clarifying brother this is pretty much what I was asking. I see some of the side by sides that get posted on here and a lot of the visual complaints pointed out are almost unnoticeable to me and then I think, whether right or wrong, JB changes to the shoes so that they look better worn casually. For instance, I see alot of guys mentioned how they want those big long tongues back on the 6s and while I think they looked great on Jordan on the court they would just look terrible if worn with casual attire. I realize that to the og collectors the ogs will always have that nostalgic lore to them so I can't get mad at the complaints even if I don't agree with most of them myself. I think we have to also remember that it's almost impossible to create a shoe 1 for 1 how it looked 30+ years ago when it released.

I think we have to also remember that it's almost impossible to create a shoe 1 for 1 how it looked 30+ years ago when it released.
The reasons why they've changed them over the years remain a source of great speculation. Regardless, don't fool yourself into thinking it's impossible to get them way closer to the OGs than they have been doing for years. Specifically when it comes to IVs, look at the '99s. If they could do it more than 20 years ago, modern technology means they absolutely can get damn close now. Nike just often chooses not to.

The reasons why they've changed them over the years remain a source of great speculation. Regardless, don't fool yourself into thinking it's impossible to get them way closer to the OGs than they have been doing for years. Specifically when it comes to IVs, look at the '99s. If they could do it more than 20 years ago, modern technology means they absolutely can get damn close now. Nike just often chooses not to.

This!
Lost molds my ***. . .

Thanks for clarifying brother this is pretty much what I was asking. I see some of the side by sides that get posted on here and a lot of the visual complaints pointed out are almost unnoticeable to me and then I think, whether right or wrong, JB changes to the shoes so that they look better worn casually. For instance, I see alot of guys mentioned how they want those big long tongues back on the 6s and while I think they looked great on Jordan on the court they would just look terrible if worn with casual attire. I realize that to the og collectors the ogs will always have that nostalgic lore to them so I can't get mad at the complaints even if I don't agree with most of them myself. I think we have to also remember that it's almost impossible to create a shoe 1 for 1 how it looked 30+ years ago when it released.
Keeping the OG look of the 4s is nothing like putting a higher tongue on the 6s.

The OG shape of the 4s does look better for casual wear, it's certainly better than the banana shape.

I will always believe it's important for us to keep pointing out the things we don't like. If everyone just sat back in silence or always just took what they gave us with a smile and a thank you, they'd probably never change anything for the better. It may take years for them to finally do it, but it happens. The latest round of 11 retros proves it.
Spoken like a true champ. 🥊

Like I said awhile ago, JB lost their standards. They need to be passionate about their product like we are passionate about them.

Yeah, same problem with the 3s. Still blows my mind how the product manager and designers allowed that "AIR" to be so badly positioned; such an easy fix!
So real brother it's terrible. Even the grey is off. Not too bad but damn! Lol

I definitely feel this. I get it does get annoying hearing the same complaints and we all know it wont change. I guess it just sucks how bad they did on the original 89 Specs but I'm a jump off my soap box because if I can I probably will get them haha!

So are the shape complaints something that's exclusive to the guys who had the OGs? Seems everytime an OG is released that specific group is very vocal about what they don't like and I promise you I try to sympathize with the guys but most times I see nothing wrong with the shoes they complain about. I didn't start collecting until 2017 so maybe that's why they all look fine to me.

No. I've had at least one of every OG since the 4's in 89, and IDGAF about the shape. They've admitted that a good chunk of the original lasts and molds were lost years ago, and way too much is being made about inconsequential things by guys busting out micrometers and talking about how the stitching is off by .00000001mm. I've never expected a 1:1 recreation, though it might be nice if we could get the same cushioning set-up, and they've taken steps to correct a lot of the more noticeable issues. The 4's and 5's are my favorite J's. The weird change to the 3M tongue on the last 5's was strange to me, but not anywhere near enough to make me consider not getting pairs that I could actually wear. To me, these Fire Reds look really nice, and because I haven't had a pair since the Mars, I'm really excited about them and hoping I can get 1, hopefully 2.

Jordan Brand can fix the shape whenever they want, it's been proven.
I can no longer find the post, but I saw a post on IG with a recent Eminem 4 Sample. But the shape was exactly like the 2004 mold instead of 2012 and later...my mind was blown.

I wish I could find it...I'll never forget seeing it. Just shows Nike has been lying to us the entire time.

That being said, idc enough to pass. I enjoy my retros. Yes I'm 27, was a kid when OGs were out so I didn't experience them the same way. Yes I wish they looked more liked the OGs and early retros, but not enough to the point where I won't cop. And if it did bother be that much, I would just pass to be honest.

Edit: this is what I was talking about:

IMG_93BFA280FA23-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely shape and everything is off, I know this will be the only time I'll be able to get a pair of fire reds with OG branding. But if it were any other model I would be pass. On the other hand if work dont pick up or money at all I will be passing by force and I'm not gonna pay 350+ resell on these for sure.
You think these are going to be 350 resell right out of the gate?

Back
Top Bottom