NIKE Question/Survey

Originally Posted by markyd33psu

As a serious runner, I'll admit that Nike did lose major ground in the running game in the past decade. ASICS in particular caught up and started making a superior technical shoe, but don't think for a second that Nike doesn't make shoes for serious runners any more. It's just a shame that they push the 360's and Shox running shoes harder than their Bowerman Series line.
I just bought a pair of Equalon+ 2's a few weeks ago, and they're the best running shoes I've ever had. Air cushioning doesn't fully encompass their running tech... for instance, the E2's have a Cushlon ST midsole (a new, improved foam over Phylon), de-coupled crash pad (a huge advance in running tech), an upper designed to work around the bones of the foot, and outstanding medial support. Previously, I've worn the Structure Triax 10's, which, after visiting a running specialty store and checking out the ASICS 2120, a salesman said, "Check out Nike's AST 10... they're just as good as that shoe." And those shoes held up great for me for 400+ miles. And I've worn these shoes because I overpronate... if I was neutral, I'd gladly wear a pair of Vomero's instead of ASICS' Nimbus or the Peg's instead of ASICS' Cumulus.
I'm hoping that the continued quality that they've been putting out lately (some incredible running shoes are coming out in the spring) as well as the Nike+ product campaign will help change the public opinion that Nike's running shoes are "fashion over function". While this may be the case with the 360's and other non-technical shoes like that, the Bowerman Series line is really top-notch.
MenOfOregon... to answer your question, I'd love a Nike specialty running store. But then again, I'm a runner. I can see why this wouldn't appeal to many of the people in this forum... nothing against them, but it's a sport that many people just don't "get". It wouldn't have the consumer appeal of basketball, and nobody would flock there to see Paula Radcliffe's or Meb Keflezghi's PE's, but the running community is a small and dedicated one, and I see two main benefits of a Nike running shop: it could spread the history of Nike's involvement in the sport, and also demonstrate Nike's commitment to making serious (i.e. Bowerman Series) running shoes for all kinds of runners.

Oh no doubt, I know about the Bowerman series and have heard good things about it. That is what I was refering to when I said they were taking small stepsforward. But you hit the nail right on the head and was also the point I was trying to get across: Nike pushes fashion over function. This, in my opinion,causes Nike to fall out of the race for people who run. When I first started running, I steered clear of Nike shoes just because of the gimmicks (Shox, 360,etc...). I went for a brand who seemed to be dedicated to making running shoes (Brooks, Asics). I'm sure the Bowerman series could elevate Nike back intothe race but it's their gimmicks that cause people to choose another brand.

Take for instance the Nike+ accessories. This would be a great opportunity to also promote the Bowerman series along with the +accessories but what do you see?Air Max 180's and other fashion driven shoes being promoted more heavily.

I actually like the idea of having a Nike Specialty Running Store. It would be nice to go into a store and have educated employees fit you in the proper shoeinstead of trying to sell the most expensive shoe. I just think Nike needs to gain some more credibility within the running community and with people who arebeginners by showing that they have a serious line of running shoes.

Originally Posted by MenofOregon

I'm glad to see that someone had the decency to take a look at the 'Bowerman Series' instead of complaining right away about "consistency and quality issues". It certainly pays to do your research first before criticizing. If you feel it's not for you, then at least it's a credible statement to yourself and others because you've done the necessary research/work.
Instead of taking offense to every comment made negatively about Nike Running shoes, you should try to find out why negative comments are comingtowards the product. No disrespect but some of your remarks like the "street corner" as well as others, are highly unprofessional if indeed you workfor Nike. Figuring out why there is such a negative feeling about the running shoe dept. can help the line figure out what's wrong, why there are badfeelings towards the line, and try to make improvements to change the attitude that others have. I agree that some people in general, make comments just tobe jerks but I think Mister Jack has made some valid points in his argument. Again, no disrespect to you.
smile.gif

Keep in mind that an all Nike Running Store would be completely different from a "House of Hoops style" concept. Different clientele with different needs. Different "retail landscape". No real "limited edition, exclusive colorway" type of merchandise. Just exclusively, specialized running shoes, apparel and equipment. This type of store would cater to ALL types of runners; from the casual jogger to the high school athlete to the long-time marathoner. Just think of taking the Running Department out of a NIKETOWN and expanding it to be a more specialized and interactive experience for runners/consumers. Remember, these are all "loose ideas and concepts" and nothing is concrete.

I would imagine that for a specialty store of this nature, your staff is going to be as essential as the product offered. It can't be like Footaction where you hire your homeboys and amateur models who know nothing about the product and could care less. For runners, usuallyit's going to only be two types of customers; those who have no idea what they need & rely on the salesman/store for help finding the right product orthose who know exactly what they need and are rigid in what they're seeking. You have to have a staff that knows the ins and outs of running as a sportand culture, the needs of a marathon runner versus those of a soccer mom, the difference between overpronating/supinating, etc. You wouldn't open afitness shop & hire high school kids to give people information on circuit training, cycling, pilates, functional training, etc.

The quickest way to fail in that type of specialty store is negative word-of-mouth. Serious runners usually havefriends and network with other people in the same boat. The worst thing you could hope for is for word to spread for customers to avoid your store based onone person's experience. The problem is, can you find a staff that is knowledgeable enough already in the world of running that will work for the pay rateoffered and/or can you develop a quick training program to educate your associates with a quick turnaround?

On a side note, can anyone give me some solid information/background on Nike's Impax technology. I'm tired ofbeing asked about it & dancing around the question because I don't want to give a poor answer. I can't find anything on the net about it...

Originally Posted by d e beatup

Keep in mind that an all Nike Running Store would be completely different from a "House of Hoops style" concept. Different clientele with different needs. Different "retail landscape". No real "limited edition, exclusive colorway" type of merchandise. Just exclusively, specialized running shoes, apparel and equipment. This type of store would cater to ALL types of runners; from the casual jogger to the high school athlete to the long-time marathoner. Just think of taking the Running Department out of a NIKETOWN and expanding it to be a more specialized and interactive experience for runners/consumers. Remember, these are all "loose ideas and concepts" and nothing is concrete.

I would imagine that for a specialty store of this nature, your staff is going to be as essential as the product offered. It can't be like Footaction where you hire your homeboys and amateur models who know nothing about the product and could care less. For runners, usually it's going to only be two types of customers; those who have no idea what they need & rely on the salesman/store for help finding the right product or those who know exactly what they need and are rigid in what they're seeking. You have to have a staff that knows the ins and outs of running as a sport and culture, the needs of a marathon runner versus those of a soccer mom, the difference between overpronating/supinating, etc. You wouldn't open a fitness shop & hire high school kids to give people information on circuit training, cycling, pilates, functional training, etc.

The quickest way to fail in that type of specialty store is negative word-of-mouth. Serious runners usually have friends and network with other people in the same boat. The worst thing you could hope for is for word to spread for customers to avoid your store based on one person's experience. The problem is, can you find a staff that is knowledgeable enough already in the world of running that will work for the pay rate offered and/or can you develop a quick training program to educate your associates with a quick turnaround?
Well said. I always thought every specialty store should have employees who know their craft or product.

I think it'd be cool, but I don't know if it would help sales. A Nike museum would be WONDERFUL.

I think there is a negative reaction to Nike Running due to the nature of the runner's mentality. Personally, I feel like runners have always liked thesmaller, come-from-behind brands (New Balance, Brooks, Asics, Mizuno, Saucony).

It may have very little to do with actual performance since every company uses the same materials. It may just be that Nike got too big for runners to take asseriously. If you could maybe do a test where runners were putting on shoes that they couldn't see (masked in tape or something), I get this feeling thatthe preferences would be widespread and non-conclusive. But I'm sure Nike wouldn't rank as lowly as some people rank it.

Back
Top Bottom