Nike Sportswear: Why so expensive?

I saw this nice half zip hoodie on the nike sportswear site and then i looked at the price: $230!!

is there a reason behind this outrageous price? or is nike really just out of their minds?

mods: please move if this is in the wrong forum..

hype? bulletproof??

not sure but they do look nice, I want to see more of the acg one the showing

230 for a Nike hoodie
eek.gif

Must be out of their damn minds.

i Really think Nike Sportswear is for the cliche rich type of people. That want something different from the Company...you feel me? Most of the shoes, color,and etc are weird to me.

the sweatshirt the op is talking about is probably nike sportswear x loopwheeler, the price has something to do with how the cotton is spun or something, thereis a description on nikesportswear.com. i bought one of the regular half zip's, for 65. i like it a lot.

Originally Posted by KingJay718

What exactly is Nike Sportswear? Someone define it. No doubt they have nice pieces.
It's just nike's way capitalizing on the streetwear hype. Just like the hundreds, supreme, dqm, huf, stussy, kidrobot, crooks and castle,and so on has. It has become very "mainstream" so nike is just getting in the game and taking advantage. They should realize that no one in the rightmind will pay 200+ for a windbreaker, which has been 80-100 dollars in the past. I just don't think the average consumer would thats what I'm saying.However it's in a upscale shopping area, where the not so average consumer shops, so in that sense I guess they are making some money, and then you havethe hyped sneakers with all these collaboration which evens things out a bit. Btw I am taking about the mercer street location.

the hype for blue ribbon sports was a failure, so they decided to run another gimmick and bam. high-tec hoodies that couldnt hold a candle to championsuper-fleeces

Yuku actin up on me again... can't edit properly... anyway...

these AW77 hoodys feel very nice, but not 250-300-bucks-nice...

when i went to the ny sportswear store everything was highly priced like that

i tihnk its because they are trying to pass it off as more upscale or exclusive, and because its "exclusive" they can charge redic amounts

its a ploy to get money.. like everything else they do

^^they can only make 8 a day??
with those prices they'll only sell 1 a day
y dont they just put "the best fleece in the world" onto some better faster looms and drop some prices...

Originally Posted by KingJay718

What exactly is Nike Sportswear? Someone define it. No doubt they have nice pieces.
i haven't been following up with nike lately so this is the first time i'm seeing it. it basically looks like a revamped 'whitelabel' line. i see a carryover shirt style in the clothing section.

Nike is attempting to wet its beak in the boutique, limited-edition market. If Undefeated, Proper, DQM, Nort, Ubiq, etc. can be successful selling ourproducts, we don't we open our own? So they open one door on the east coast and one on the west coast and leave the rest of the hypebeasts/suckers acrossthe country angry/jealous/salivating.

At these locations they have ID studio, special events, and super-exclusive releases such as Kaws AM90, Busy P AF1, Slam Jam, and the upcoming Krink AF1. Celebs like ChiMcBride drop in.

I've been to the one here in L.A. The interior design has a dimly lit, minimal aesthetic. Clearly, they are testing the boutique concept. Has it beensuccessful? The jury is still out. The store is a ghost town during the week. Originally, it was supposed to close Oct. 31 but they've extended that toDec. 31 to grab holiday cash. The only redeeming quality is the ID studio because heads would rather go to Proper and receive good service and productknowledge than a poorly placed store with horrible parking and snobby, unknowledgable metrosexuals pushing $230 hoodies.

Originally Posted by steveshuz

Nike is attempting to wet its beak in the boutique, limited-edition market. If Undefeated, Proper, DQM, Nort, Ubiq, etc. can be successful selling our products, we don't we open our own? So they open one door on the east coast and one on the west coast and leave the rest of the hypebeasts/suckers across the country angry/jealous/salivating.

At these locations they have ID studio, special events, and super-exclusive releases such as Kaws AM90, Busy P AF1, Slam Jam, and the upcoming Krink AF1. Celebs like ChiMcBride drop in.

I've been to the one here in L.A. The interior design has a dimly lit, minimal aesthetic. Clearly, they are testing the boutique concept. Has it been successful? The jury is still out. The store is a ghost town during the week. Originally, it was supposed to close Oct. 31 but they've extended that to Dec. 31 to grab holiday cash. The only redeeming quality is the ID studio because heads would rather go to Proper and receive good service and product knowledge than a poorly placed store with horrible parking and snobby, unknowledgable metrosexuals pushing $230 hoodies.

Although, this is your opinion and you are entitled to it....you are completely wrong on some aspects. Have you been to the Point? Have you heard of the BlueHouse? Flight club? Nike often opens many pop-up retail and event spaces during the year. The point of the space is to bring energy to the Brand and have a funand safe haven with great product. It is not always about profit. The LA store has been the focal point of NSW on the west coast like 21 Mercer St is on theeast coast. And although the LA store may not be located in the best area, if consumers want to purchase the products sold there, they know how to locate it.It didn't seem to be in a bad location when people camped out for Questos, Kaws, and BusyPs. And yes, these products offer a little more excitement aroundit, but when you want it you want it, doesn't matter the location. And if you know your Nike history, you will know that Nike Sportswear has been aroundfor many years i.e. Nike sportswear, White Label, BRS, etc. So like many companies, why not bring back to life what was once an iconic part of Nike'sculture. Perhaps, YOU are not in their target market and if you are then maybe the product just isn't appealing to YOU. Yes, the NikeID space is a coolconcept and the response has been great. So, the store has been pretty successful and if it hasn't, then Nike could have closed the doors when it wasoriginally slated to close. And since you said Nike is "trying to grab holiday cash", how can that be when you just said it is a "ghosttown" during the week. Nike is about energy and that is what this location brings. And to the orginal person of this post....NSW has a wide range ofproducts are various price levels. From $65 to $400. So, find out where you fit and shop there. The $230 hoody you are referring to is the Nike x Loopwheelercollection. Loopwheeler is Japanese clothing company that has a reputation for having top notch quality and craftsmanship, and they have done MANY collaboswith companies all over the world. Each Loopwheeler is cut by hand and is constructed using a loopwheeler knitting machine which can only produce 8 per day.So, with most brands that offer quality and hand made craftsmanship, the price is usually positioned at a higher price point. Why are Christian Louboutin shoes$1000+? Because of the time consuming task it takes to put together the highest quality shoe. So, that's why this particular collection of NSW is at ahigher price point. But trust me, there are pieces that cost way less. So, if you are a fan of NSW, but perhaps don't like or can't afford the $230price tag, you will find a wide range of pieces for much less as well as all the dope footwear you can't wait to cop this year and next. Have a good day!!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by fantabolous

the hype for blue ribbon sports was a failure, so they decided to run another gimmick and bam. high-tec hoodies that couldnt hold a candle to champion super-fleeces

Pretty much sums it up.

Do like the shoe-boxes though. The Ultra-Orange was starting to kill me.

Originally Posted by yep617

the sweatshirt the op is talking about is probably nike sportswear x loopwheeler, the price has something to do with how the cotton is spun or something, there is a description on nikesportswear.com. i bought one of the regular half zip's, for 65. i like it a lot.

lol where can i get a "regular" half zip. cause i will NEVER spend no 230 for a hoodie.

implied valued = marketing strategy
and the sportswear items are dope....

but the hypebeasts wouldnt value the nike sportswear line as much if it was 10.00 for a hoodie

Originally Posted by kmn2008

Originally Posted by yep617

the sweatshirt the op is talking about is probably nike sportswear x loopwheeler, the price has something to do with how the cotton is spun or something, there is a description on nikesportswear.com. i bought one of the regular half zip's, for 65. i like it a lot.

lol where can i get a "regular" half zip. cause i will NEVER spend no 230 for a hoodie.

its with the rest of the hoodies on nikesportswear.com, just scroll down....they sell em at niketowns also, thats where i got mine.

Quite simply its like this.....

Nike changed the name of all its casual inspired stuff to "Nike Sportswear". This covers all of the dunks, AF1, windbreakers, Aair max, T shirts,etc.Anything "sports inspired" but not performance related.

Within Nike Sportswear there are many different product lines. One of which is called "NSW". "NSW" replaces the previously named "TechPack" releases. "NSW" is the higher priced items. These are supposidly much higher in quality as they feature flywire technology, speical fleecesuch as loopwheeler from Japan, + more exotic materials. Those pcs are produced in small numbers with higher priced materials. Therefore, the price is set muchhigher. If you produce 50,000 of a hoody in a cheap material.....its going to be $45-60. If you make 500pcs in a more expensive material, its going to be $200.Its just that simple. Its up to the consumer to decide if that $200 is worth it to them.

Thanks for the answers everyone.

I appreciate it.

SMH at hypebeasts and at nike for taking advantage of loyal customers who never gave a damn about the hype.

I personally didnt even know they were so "hot" until I was actually looking to buy some.

Its kinda crazy that people actually buy things because they like them (yes, sarcasm intended).

Back
Top Bottom