Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

I’m sorry, but Kiochoges shoes are ridiculous and need to be banned. The 3 CF plates in there even look like a spring. The 4% and NEXT% have only one plate and even the biomechanics who did the initial study indicated that the performance gain was maybe 3% from the foam and 1% the plate. Sounds to me like the push is towards stack height limit. If they ban CF plates, companies could still theoretically get away with PEBAX shanks, like what’s in the Streak 6/7 models. Stick that between ZoomX foam to a limited height and that would presumably be fine and almost the same shoe as the 4% and NEXT%.

Also, I’ve read a few articles now where the authors are severely misinformed, hinting that Kosgei wore a “prototype” shoe like EK did. NO!!! She wore the commercially available NEXT%.

Do we know for sure that the shoes Kipchoge wore have three plates? The pics look like two at most. The diagram has three, but the actual shoes he wore look different than in the diagram. And at this point, every other shoe company is testing shoes that will compete with the VF.

I’m no hater. I love the VF and have been training and racing in them since they came out. But this new shoe? Cmon, How can you look at the schematic for that shoe and not think it has a spring constructed in the forefoot? You can argue that the full length carbon fiber plate is present in the Vaporfly to give structure to the soft foam which would be too loose and floppy otherwise. That same plate is present in the AlphaFly and I’m fine with that. But exactly what purpose do these other two plates serve with the airbags sandwiched between them?

Do I think these shoes played a factor in his 1:59:40? Yeah, probably. Which is sad because I think Kipchoge is amazing. He gives me a lot of motivation in my own running. Maybe he could have still broken 2 in his VF Elites or Next%, but we will never know.
Okay...so are we mad (not meaning you just saying in general) that the Tech was created and now much like everything else in America it has become about Bigger + More = Better?

So the fear is it wont stop with three plates, it will eventually be X plates?

Is it that?

Me personally, I say wait until we get official word from Nike on the Tech...whats inside, what exactly is the purpose then go from there....

My two cents....I could run with them Springs in the front and back like the dudes in Looney Toones and still not even get close to what alot of you cats in here run....

If there is one thing ive learned about running over my 4 year journey now....you cant make up for training, hydration, mental strength, good form, and again just putting in the time.....

I would just hate to see anyone ever CONSIDER taking away this guys accomplished due to what he had on feet....

Last edited:
Okay...so are we mad (not meaning you just saying in general) that the Tech was created and now much like everything else in America it has become about Bigger + More = Better?

So the fear is it wont stop with three plates, it will eventually be X plates?

Is it that?

Me personally, I say wait until we get official word from Nike on the Tech...whats inside, what exactly is the purpose then go from there....

My two cents....I could run with them Springs in the front and back like the dudes in Looney Toones and still not even get close to what alot of you cats in here run....

If there is one thing ive learned about running over my 4 year journey now....you cant make up for training, hydration, mental strength, good form, and again just putting in the time.....

I would just hate to see anyone ever CONSIDER taking away this guys accomplished due to what he had on feet....
I agree.

I don't think the zoom air bags function like a full on spring as much as people are thinking they do. Honestly I think they're just a way of having the forefoot be responsive from the beginning of the race to the end. Foams aren't as responsive and don't function the same from the beginning of a race to the end of the race. I think it's just simply making it so your shoes have the same properties (or as much as it can for longer than the forefoot ZoomX could allow) for as long as possible.

But I have news for the athletes and agents who have approached the IAAF, athletics’ governing body, urging it to ban the shoes. It is not going to happen. In fact do not be surprised if the arms race in shoe technology soon goes nuclear.

Why? Well, on Monday the IAAF’s technological committee – which has been studying Nike’s Vaporfly shoes since 2017 – will hold an important conference call involving scientists from the University of Queensland and legal experts. While its thinking is a closely guarded secret, there is no hint the Vaporflys will be banned. Instead, I understand it is considering making a proposal to the IAAF council in the next two to three weeks that a running shoe should be regarded as legal providing it gives no “motor assistance” to an athlete. In other words, if the only power source remains the person running in the shoes, they would be legally compliant.

A Taiwanese runner paints his royal blue 4% Flyknit and changes the laces. I really like them.
1AADC4A2-6B4E-4B31-B1CF-7766121FFA7E.jpeg

It might be off topic, but just find out about Oregon Project. Nike completely shut off the website immediately. Was planning to get either their ZF3 or Peg2.
same with me, just want to order the ZF3, then boom. hahahaha... next life, perhaps.

Anyone had any issues with their next% delaminating?
My thread on Reddit:

I'm thinking of keeping them, but worried it will get worse or fail prematurely due to exposure to water etc...

Anyone had any issues with their next% delaminating?
My thread on Reddit:

I'm thinking of keeping them, but worried it will get worse or fail prematurely due to exposure to water etc...

get your refund. Running shoes will come and go. That’s If you plan to actually run and use these you

Nike hasn’t been selling the Next% in Canada now for at least a week. Anyone have insight as to why it’s disappeared? I bought a pair of Pink Blast on a whim a few weeks ago and I’m especially glad I did now.

Super Weird that there are ZERO events for Nike for the NYC Marathon.....Last year we got shirt printing....special releases....and a ton of events....this year ZERO.....Or am I missing something?

i guess this is probably one of the best places to ask since its probably the most active running thread but what do you guys do with your phone when you run?

phones just keeps getting bigger and bigger and just an annoyance to hold these days and if i do more than jog, the phone falls off my pocket but its also getting harder and harder to find running shorts with zippers

i have one of those arm straps but again with how big phones are these days its just an annoyance and i just can get used to having something straps on my upper arm

to those with an apple watch with cellular, is it pretty reliable to leave your phone in the car and just use that? i stopped using my apple watch (no cellular) with the nike run app because it kept bugging out

i think ive covered all the options really outside of those shorts with a pocket in the liner and you can put your phone inside but i am curious what yall do?

1572989943586.png

i guess this is probably one of the best places to ask since its probably the most active running thread but what do you guys do with your phone when you run?

phones just keeps getting bigger and bigger and just an annoyance to hold these days and if i do more than jog, the phone falls off my pocket but its also getting harder and harder to find running shorts with zippers

i have one of those arm straps but again with how big phones are these days its just an annoyance and i just can get used to having something straps on my upper arm

to those with an apple watch with cellular, is it pretty reliable to leave your phone in the car and just use that? i stopped using my apple watch (no cellular) with the nike run app because it kept bugging out

i think ive covered all the options really outside of those shorts with a pocket in the liner and you can put your phone inside but i am curious what yall do?

1572989943586.png
I have the Nike flex repel training shorts that have a zippered inner pocket inside the right pocket and it fits my XS Max well

1572989943586.png
I leave it at home.

Back
Top Bottom