Niketown San Francisco Closing....

Browsing SFgate.com and found this article. Searched the forums and couldn't find any info on this.. If late sorry and please lock.. Bad news for some of us. At least it's just temporary.. 
ohwell.gif

Swoosh! Just like that, NikeTown will soon disappear from San Francisco.

The 50,000-square-foot store, an anchor tenant in Union Square for the past 15 years, will be closing within the next 12 months for a complete remodeling, according to two company sources.

When it reopens, it will be called NikeSF, or Nike San Francisco, I'm told, as part of a nationwide rebranding exercise by the Beaverton, Ore., athletic apparel giant. Similar changes are taking place at the NikeTown in Chicago, which closed for remodeling in March, and will be called Nike Chicago, said the sources.

A company spokeswoman said she was "unable to confirm any information at this time" about the San Francisco store, and would not comment on the Chicago store, except that it's expected to reopen in the fall, "as part of our ongoing strategy to elevate retail."

Opened in February 1997, the San Francisco NikeTown occupies three floors at 278 Post St. and has approximately 150 employees. It's one of 10 NikeTowns in the country, located in major cities, including Los Angeles, New York, Las Vegas, Miami and Seattle.

A NikeTown in Portland, Ore., closed in October, replaced by a Nike Portland a few blocks away.

Nike, the largest athletic apparel company in the world, reported $560 million in profits in the last quarter, an increase of 15 percent over the previous quarter, on $5.85 billion in revenue.

Timing of the San Francisco store closing is not publicly known, except that it will occur within the next 12 months, said the sources. The renovation could take six months to a year to complete, they said.

And, yes, we'll miss singing along to that famed disco standard, "Won't You Take Me to ... Niketown?"

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/05/15/BUCA1OI9IP.DTL#ixzz1v61PTHQJ

It's gonna bring floods of people into HOH. Not a good thing since that's where I go for some of the releases. 6 month to a year is a long time.
30t6p3b.gif
What can you do.

i like how it looks now. dont think theres anything wrong with the setup.

i had a chance to visit the beverly hills Niketown, and SF >>

i was just there about a few years ago. Place was awesome picked up a rew kobe 5 for super cheap. sad to see this one go.

Originally Posted by smatty

does that mean closing sells?

I was recently laid off by NT Chi because of this, I would say there will be some sales closer towards the last 2 weeks that the NT SF will be open. But don't expect it until then.
I was able to grab 3 Destroyer jackets for $485 on the last day 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Also it most certainly sucks when it comes to big shoe releases man.... everybody flocks to HOH now and it just makes it THAT much 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Awful news in the interim.

Our NT shut-down in Chicago, and like guy above me said, hard releases become that much harder.

That was my main concern. Releases are already hard to come by in a large market and while NTSF is closed its going to make going to hoh serramonte unbearable. Glad it's only temporary but I'm sure it will be some major releases that come during the closure. Possibly the entire lebron 10 line Kobe 8s Jordan holiday shoes depending on the closure.

And like dude said above that's a lot people getting laid off. I figured they would transfer people maybe to nike emeryville Vacaville San leandro or somewhere. A lot of outlets around and run stores so people could keep their jobs. All those profits. Nike isn't struggling. Trying to turn stores elite like the shoes. Nike will be at Gucci prices in 10 years with their new upscale products.

^^^
Funny thing is that their upscale/elite product was the past decade's GRs. And today's GRs make Payless/Skechers seem like mid-range product.

I was reading this article yesterday on Bart. Let's just hope the remodeling doesn't take long. Maybe nike will shot some of the more limited kicks to other smaller chains like shieks?

2 weeks ago I found a dog tag that niketown gave out during their grand opening in 1997. Time flies!

Originally Posted by BigBrandon

That was my main concern. Releases are already hard to come by in a large market and while NTSF is closed its going to make going to hoh serramonte unbearable. Glad it's only temporary but I'm sure it will be some major releases that come during the closure. Possibly the entire lebron 10 line Kobe 8s Jordan holiday shoes depending on the closure.

And like dude said above that's a lot people getting laid off. I figured they would transfer people maybe to nike emeryville Vacaville San leandro or somewhere. A lot of outlets around and run stores so people could keep their jobs. All those profits. Nike isn't struggling. Trying to turn stores elite like the shoes. Nike will be at Gucci prices in 10 years with their new upscale products.
That wont happen.
They'll offer a Severance Package to those employees and make them re-apply when they do open.

If they were to want to stay with the company they could apply to those outlets and I mean, it would certainly look good that they were at NTSF and I'm sure management would approve and back them on it if they left in good standing, but as far as them transferring people thats a No-Go... I was one of the 170 employees laid off.. Only like 10 actually got hired to work at the Outlets in Cottage Grove/Aurora and Nike affiliate Cole Haan.

Interesting. I think it looks great just the way it is, but I have to admit that I can't wait to see the new NikeSF sometime in 2013!

I can't wait for the remodelling "closing" sale!
nerd.gif

Niketown in San Fran is my fav.
Niketowns i've been to.

1. SF

2. NYC

3. Las Vegas

4.Chicago = LA 

5. Seattle

6. Denver

7. Portland 
sick.gif

Yup NTSF is probably the most aesthetically pleasing Niketown out of all of them I see nothing wrong with it...

*wipes sweat off forehead*

Glad on temporary. Copped my playoff 12s from there with the twitter RSVP thingie.

Damn, no more rsvp from here though, back to waking up early 
eyes.gif

NTNY is still the best one I've been to. NTSF comes second to me. And I'd put NTLV before NTLA. I'll be down in Chicago this August. Their Niketown is on my to do list.

Originally Posted by gentry187

NTNY is still the best one I've been to. NTSF comes second to me. And I'd put NTLV before NTLA. I'll be down in Chicago this August. Their Niketown is on my to do list.

Wont be open til Fall 
tired.gif

NTNY is my fav though

I tweeted about this a few days ago, and when NTSF closes it's going to be ugly in the bay area. I personally will not be going to HOH at Serramonte, lol. Hopefully they open up some sort of pop-up shop ... UNDFTD whassup!

Back
Top Bottom