Nikon D40=Perfect first Digital SLR?

I am thinking about buying this camera soon. Does anyone have it. I just like how user friendly this thing is. Another one I saw was the Canon Rebel XT.It's a little more expensive than the the D40 and it's supposedly for beginners as well.

I was leaning towards the D40 a little bit, but all of my friends suggest the Canon, Plus I have a decent lens for the cannon, and my old Nikkor lens wontautofocus on a D40

Not being able to auto-focus isn't always a bad thing. For some lenses, it's better.

Plus, as a beginner, learning (or being forced) to focus on your own can help immensely later on.

D40/350(400)D are all good cameras. I'd say they are a bit over a beginners camera, but that's me. I've got the XTi and that was after 5-6 years oflower level cameras. If you got the money (and more importantly) the time to devote to a camera like a D40, go for it.

I've enjoyed it so far.

Only bad thing i know about the D40 is the lack of support for non AF-S lenses. Meaning some lenses (mainly old lenses) wont autofocus on the D40 body. Manual focus isn't terrible though.

Originally Posted by baby dill

Not being able to auto-focus isn't always a bad thing. For some lenses, it's better.

Plus, as a beginner, learning (or being forced) to focus on your own can help immensely later on.

D40/350(400)D are all good cameras. I'd say they are a bit over a beginners camera, but that's me. I've got the XTi and that was after 5-6 years of lower level cameras. If you got the money (and more importantly) the time to devote to a camera like a D40, go for it.
Yeah, I thinks it's really to each their own, I already know the basics and can work a camera, and the lens i was referring to earlier was just astarter kit lens.

To the OP, In the end you should probably go to a camera store and ask them, or if you know someone with one borrow it for an afternoon to try it out.

I got a D50 a few years ago and I really like it. I've heard good things about the D40 for beginning/ intermediate photography as well.

can somebody point me to some kinda photography 101 or forum....cause i've always wanted to explore a new hobby...and photography has always caught myeye...

i don't even know wtheck a dslr is..so i'm assuming i need a lotta help...

i've wanted to get into it to see if i enjoy it...and i just have no idea where to start...

so any helps appreciated!

thanks guys

the rebel xt is cheaper then teh d40.

the xt is discontinued making it cheaper.

i got my xt for 440 shipped.(kit) the best d40 kit i can find was 455 $!$(kit)

I've owned a Canon XT for some time now, has yet to fail me once. Canon FTW!
looking to upgrade to a Canon 40D this summer
eyes.gif

Some samples taken with the XT:
2359731073_5bd052ec3a_o.jpg

2359729381_5b52075103_o.jpg

2371934225_b5ce7f4fd2_o.jpg

This was taken with a 17-85mm Canon lens. At the NY International Auto Show recently.

i'm leaning towards getting the XT over the D40 just cause i have some lenses for it already.
only problem is that i cant find the black on in a store, its just the silver. this angers me

Oh, fotoconnection.com has the Nikon for 419 plus shipping ($12...) and the Rebel XT for 399 plus shipping. This is the cheapest I've found them, and bothare the kits.

Originally Posted by Derrtay

can somebody point me to some kinda photography 101 or forum....cause i've always wanted to explore a new hobby...and photography has always caught my eye...

i don't even know wtheck a dslr is..so i'm assuming i need a lotta help...

i've wanted to get into it to see if i enjoy it...and i just have no idea where to start...

so any helps appreciated!

thanks guys
http://niketalk.com/topic/5370?page=124

I would also like to get into photography too.

I took it in high school and got a 98 in the class.

But, I be noticing dudes is stingy with the info...yes even on camera's.

Like it's a pair of kicks and you two are going to develop the same picture or something.

Oh well, like most other things in life I will have to learn on my own.

i have a d50...lol i know nothing about it...any1 care to help me out with that?

Originally Posted by Putting In Work

I would also like to get into photography too.

I took it in high school and got a 98 in the class.

But, I be noticing dudes is stingy with the info...yes even on camera's.

Like it's a pair of kicks and you two are going to develop the same picture or something.

Oh well, like most other things in life I will have to learn on my own.
Stingy... about cameras? On Niketalk? I'm offended. Literally there's 124 page post where 99% of questions that haven't been answered amillion times (usually by myself) or isnt just something that you can easily find with google get answered. It offends me you would say that. I go out of myway to check that post just for questions to answer and here you are saying people are keeping @!!#$$$ camera secrets not telling you $$+!. ask. no one canread your mind is all I can say to that...

Try them out yourself and go with whatever you feel most comfortable with. I'm glad i got the D40 over the Canon.

Back
Top Bottom