• O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/13/nintendo-touchscreen-gamepad-patent/ 

Nintendo invents a gamepad dominated by its touchscreen

A recent patent application envisions a game controller where a touchscreen is the main interface.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Nintendo has said precious little about its plans for the NX  (other than that it won't be like a Wii U), but it might  have hinted at what's coming through some recent paperwork. The console maker has filed for a patent  on a gamepad design where a touchscreen would cover the entire front panel. You'd still have familiar elements like analog sticks (poking through the display) and shoulder buttons, but the usual front-facing buttons would be replaced by context-aware touch. The move would give you the adaptability of a smartphone interface with the primary controls you're used to in a TV system -- you could even use the controller on its side, or get visual effects when you press buttons. It wouldn't require a gigantic body like the Wii U's gamepad, either, and a card slot could take game data directly.

This is just an application, and there's no certainty that Nintendo will use this design any time soon, if at all. However, as The Verge  notes, the would-be patent does line up with rumors that Nintendo will use Sharp's free-form displays  in a future product. Theoretically, this could be the technology behind the NX's standard-issue gamepad. Moreover, the Wall Street Journal  has heard  that the NX would include a "mobile unit" that could be used separately from the main console. Given the presence of that card slot, it's possible that you could play titles solely on the gamepad and take it with you -- who needs separate TV and handheld consoles when your NX is both at the same time? The finished machine could be far less exciting, but it's evident that Nintendo has at least been thinking about non-traditional hardware.

Via: SlashGearNeoGAF

Source: USPTO

Coverage: The VergeWall Street Journal

Last edited:
Ehhhhh....

I feel like a new controller shoudnt be a priority

I think it should

The Numchuck was terrible and they followed that up with Gamepad :smh:

They should just bring back the gamecube controller

I like how Playstation pretty much stuck with the same controller since the PS1

Myth 1. Nintendo needs a regular controller
Part of Nintendo’s is success is their innovation. They innovate by introducing new ways to play with their controllers. It would be the beginning of the end for them if they went backwards and used a “regular” controller.

For all the hate the gamepad gets, I couldn’t imagine going backwards. Being able to make changes on the fly or view the map on the controller is so much bette than going through useless menu options. My girlfriend and my 6 year old nephew have no problem using the gamepad. It’s just a Pro Controller with a Screen... What’s the big deal?

Myth 2. Nintendo is going out of business.
This idea that Nintendo is on the verge of going the route of Sega is way overblown. Nintendo is the most profitable company in the gaming industry. They stay profitable because their games sale really well and are relatively cheap to make. Hardware is the same. They keep things simple and sell at a profit.

I have a feeling NX is going to be vastly different from what people are thinking. I don’t want a clone of the PS4 or Xbox One. Those console are basically low end PC’s. I want the same great games with new ways to play.

Last edited:
Hop it can play my Wii u games
And I can finally stop buyers my super Mario BRO'S on every damn console
Bought it on 2 wii's a Wii u and a 3ds

If Nintendo isn't going to release a console more powerful than PS4/X1, then why bother releasing anything anytime soon? They might as well just continue developing for the Wii U for now. A powerful system should get them that 3rd party support.

I think it should

The Numchuck was terrible and they followed that up with Gamepad :smh:

They should just bring back the gamecube controller

I like how Playstation pretty much stuck with the same controller since the PS1
they really should stick with the snes controller which is the goat controller hence why the psx controller is based off of it.

Myth 1. Nintendo needs a regular controller
Part of Nintendo’s is success is their innovation. They innovate by introducing new ways to play with their controllers. It would be the beginning of the end for them if they went backwards and used a “regular” controller.
i feel like nintendo's success is tied to their awesome first party games...not their gimmicks. their gimmicks are their downfall.

their gimmicks are the main reason why third party companies shy away from their systems post snes.

the reason why you can buy 3 or 4 different controllers for the wii u is because the controllers are awful. the gamepad is too wide, the pro controller's buttons are too small and too close together, the nunchuck is awkward as hell...the gamecube controller is a step back from the snes controller but a step forward from the n64 controller.

the only reason ppl like me couldn't get into mario galaxy was due to the controls. its just so awkward. its like reinventing the wheel just because you can and not because you need to.

For all the hate the gamepad gets, I couldn’t imagine going backwards. Being able to make changes on the fly or view the map on the controller is so much bette than going through useless menu options. My girlfriend and my 6 year old nephew have no problem using the gamepad. It’s just a Pro Controller with a Screen... What’s the big deal?
its too wide. it just is what it is. i've died several times in wooly world due to the controller. its minor because i'm still almost at 100% in the game and only stopped due to creating levels in mario maker but its annoying. i even purchased a pro controller specifically because of it and to get a better experience from playing platformers and was disappointed that the buttons are spaced too close together and are tiny so its like going from one problem to another.

can we please just get a regular sized controller with no weird *** button layouts. i'd even take an adapter to play my wii u using a ps4 controller.

Myth 2. Nintendo is going out of business.
This idea that Nintendo is on the verge of going the route of Sega is way overblown. Nintendo is the most profitable company in the gaming industry. They stay profitable because their games sale really well and are relatively cheap to make. Hardware is the same. They keep things simple and sell at a profit.

I have a feeling NX is going to be vastly different from what people are thinking. I don’t want a clone of the PS4 or Xbox One. Those console are basically low end PC’s. I want the same great games with new ways to play.
consoles don't make the games. the companies have to want to CREATE. they have to be inspired to create greatness but a lot of them are just going through the motions. i'm having more fun with my wii u than i have had playing ANY system in a long, LONG time. but i can tell you its not about the controller. its not about waving a wand to make a character shake. its not about blowing into a controller to make a platform move.

I love Nintendo

I hope they can figure it out

Anyways I can't wait for the Smash Direct tomorrow

Any predictions?

Last edited:
i feel like nintendo's success is tied to their awesome first party games...not their gimmicks. their gimmicks are their downfall.

their gimmicks are the main reason why third party companies shy away from their systems post snes.

the reason why you can buy 3 or 4 different controllers for the wii u is because the controllers are awful. the gamepad is too wide, the pro controller's buttons are too small and too close together, the nunchuck is awkward as hell...the gamecube controller is a step back from the snes controller but a step forward from the n64 controller.

Third parties don't rock with Nintendo because they want the power to dictate their terms. It has nothing to do with the controller, so don't believe that lie. 3rd parties dictate the terms on Sony and Microsoft consoles because they actually need their games. Nintendo makes the best games in the industry so 3rd parties have no leverage on Nintendo's consoles. It's that simple.

If it weren't for Nintendo's "gimmicks" you wouldn't have modern day gaming. Rumble, D-Pad, control Stick, and shoulder buttons were all "gimmicks" at one point in time. These "gimmicks" pushed the industry forward. The PlayStation brand is the biggest offender with their useless gimmicks. Sony only entered the video game industry to get people to adopt their media (i.e CDs, DVDs and Blueray). None of which actually pushes games forward. Microsoft's gimmick is to get you to eventually adopt the PC... :lol: (There is a reason they've adopted the x86 architecture.)

The reason Nintendo gives you so many controller options is to suit people like you who have a hard time adapting to new controllers. That's pretty smart if you ask me. But let's be real, you couldn't get into Mario Galaxy because you've been trained by Sony/Microsoft to use the same controller for the last 20 years. The N64 controller was so much better for 3D games that Sony copied Nintendo and added a control stick and rumble to their controller. Hell, why do you think the PS4 has a touchpad on it??

I actually believe the industry would be healthier had 3rd they supported innovation (Nintendo) rather than power (Sony/Microsoft).

the only reason ppl like me couldn't get into mario galaxy was due to the controls. its just so awkward. its like reinventing the wheel just because you can and not because you need to.
its too wide. it just is what it is. i've died several times in wooly world due to the controller. its minor because i'm still almost at 100% in the game and only stopped due to creating levels in mario maker but its annoying. i even purchased a pro controller specifically because of it and to get a better experience from playing platformers and was disappointed that the buttons are spaced too close together and are tiny so its like going from one problem to another.

can we please just get a regular sized controller with no weird *** button layouts. i'd even take an adapter to play my wii u using a ps4 controller.
consoles don't make the games. the companies have to want to CREATE. they have to be inspired to create greatness but a lot of them are just going through the motions. i'm having more fun with my wii u than i have had playing ANY system in a long, LONG time. but i can tell you its not about the controller. its not about waving a wand to make a character shake. its not about blowing into a controller to make a platform move.

Creativity in the gaming industry is at an all-time low nowadays. Just look at the software that sells. The same old sports and shooting games. Yet, with Nintendo the motion controls on the gamepad make a game like Splatoon special. Hell, Zombie U is vastly superior on the Wii U because of the gamepad functionality. People are buying new systems for graphical updates of older games. How long before the graphics bubble pops?

Being able to play a full game on the gamepad is so liberating. Not being able to do that next generation feels like a major setback.

Third parties don't rock with Nintendo because they want the power to dictate their terms. It has nothing to do with the controller, so don't believe that lie. 3rd parties dictate the terms on Sony and Microsoft consoles because they actually need their games. Nintendo makes the best games in the industry so 3rd parties have no leverage on Nintendo's consoles. It's that simple.

If it weren't for Nintendo's "gimmicks" you wouldn't have modern day gaming. Rumble, D-Pad, control Stick, and shoulder buttons were all "gimmicks" at one point in time. These "gimmicks" pushed the industry forward. The PlayStation brand is the biggest offender with their useless gimmicks. Sony only entered the video game industry to get people to adopt their media (i.e CDs, DVDs and Blueray). None of which actually pushes games forward. Microsoft's gimmick is to get you to eventually adopt the PC... :lol: (There is a reason they've adopted the x86 architecture.)

The reason Nintendo gives you so many controller options is to suit people like you who have a hard time adapting to new controllers. That's pretty smart if you ask me. But let's be real, you couldn't get into Mario Galaxy because you've been trained by Sony/Microsoft to use the same controller for the last 20 years. The N64 controller was so much better for 3D games that Sony copied Nintendo and added a control stick and rumble to their controller. Hell, why do you think the PS4 has a touchpad on it??

I actually believe the industry would be healthier had 3rd they supported innovation (Nintendo) rather than power (Sony/Microsoft).

Creativity in the gaming industry is at an all-time low nowadays. Just look at the software that sells. The same old sports and shooting games. Yet, with Nintendo the motion controls on the gamepad make a game like Splatoon special. Hell, Zombie U is vastly superior on the Wii U because of the gamepad functionality. People are buying new systems for graphical updates of older games. How long before the graphics bubble pops?

Being able to play a full game on the gamepad is so liberating. Not being able to do that next generation feels like a major setback.
Talk that MOTHA****** talk :smh:
Post this **** in the ps4 thread they need a smack of reality

It's okay to be innovative but Nintendo goes over the top. The gamepad isn't too bad but it's just too damn big. Nunchuk was just awful. When I play games, I just want to relax. That's not just a knock against either, I bought a PS3 bundle that came with PS Move and I never even opened it, Sports Champions is still in the plastic. I had a Kinect and not once did I try it. The only good thing that's come from Kinect 2.0 is "xbox record that".

Initially I liked the concept behind the gamepad (calling plays on Madden, killstreaks on CoD, maps all viewable on the gamepad) but the size of the controller just killed it for me, it's just too uncomfortable.

I'm jealous but if it's like the first on. Learn your combination of skills for each character. Also explore everywhere.

Enjoy

I love Nintendo

I hope they can figure it out

Anyways I can't wait for the Smash Direct tomorrow

Any predictions?
besides cloud...
k rool
ice climbers
yarn yoshi as a skin would be cool

dunno, i'm out of ideas.

that too but don't act like the gimmicks aren't something ppl are avoiding. nintendo needs to lighten up.

the lack of third party support since the 64 is what it is. nintendo would dominate without discussion if it had third party support.

lol i don't need a history lesson, i've been playing nintendo games since 1988.:rolleyes the only nintendo system i have never owned would be the virtual boy and the original wii. i still have my original copies of chrono trigger, yoshi's island, smrpg, dkc 1 and 2, etc.

and i can tell you that i don't give a damn about rumble packs, blowing into a controller, waving a controller around, etc. i care about the games. i miss the days of support from acclaim, squaresoft, capcom, konami, etc.

i miss the days where you copped a nintendo system for more than games made by nintendo.

and so do a lot of people. nintendo knows it hence them talking about the nx so early. you can say what you want about sony, there are classics that a lot of ppl **** with. there's no gta, no red dead redemption, no uncharted, no mvc, no sf, etc. coming out for the wii u and if you only own a wii u you are missing out greatly. we are not about to sit here, regardless of it being a nintendo thread or not, and act like classics aren't coming out for the ps. please.

Last edited:
a lot of nintendo's biggest titles in the past were from third party companies but now fanboys want to **** on third party companies for not supporting nintendo's gimmicks. eh. :rolleyes
i see ppl still wishing rare was with nintendo.
i see ppl still wishing for square's support for nintendo.

i don't understand the problem. if nintendo just made a "regular" system without the gimmicks and they brought the creativity, as they always do, with their games but without the gimmicky controllers, we would easily have the best system out on our hands that would surpass sony/xbox instead of playing catch up.
nintendo was never about catch up IMO.
the nes and the snes were superior to sega's efforts IMO. what happened. i mean i know what happened, its rhetorical, but come on. enough is enough they need to get it right. do right by us hard core gamers that have stuck with them since the start.

throw us a bone.

Nintendo is getting my money next week. I need a wii u for the kids and 3ds for the godson. I wish there was a cheaper bundle or something.

Thanks. Im trying to get the smash splatoon bundle.
repost

Wii U exclusive catalog is mind bottling.

Exclusives to play:

Captain Toad(loved)

Smash Bros(self explanatory)

New Super Mario Bros and New Luigi(difficult)

Super Mario 3d world(loved)

Pikimin 3

Wind Waker HD(beautiful)

Tropical Freeze(plays like new super mario bros)

Mario Kart 8(break close friendships)

Bayonetta 1/2(like god of war with blatant sexism)

Other exclusives that may not be worth your time:

Hyrule Warriors

Monster Hunter 3

Exclusives to be released:

Kirby game feb. 20

this make your own level mario game

TPS called Splatoon

open world zelda

xenoblade sequel

You thought I was done?

Since the wii u has BC, you can play older CHEAP wii hidden gems on there.

no more heroes 2

mad world

red steel 2

super mario galaxy 1/2

the list goes on.

Back
Top Bottom