NT drivers...stick shift vs automatic..which do you prefer?

Originally Posted by THockey66

Originally Posted by doosta45

smh.gif
go do more research b, if you have an option between automatic and manual. the manual transmission will be cheaper and get better gas mileage. plus they are faster
Faster?

Wrong.
Word, these new 'manual' automatics are designed to shift stupid fast, rev match with a touch of a paddle for downshifting, etc.

smh.gif
go do more research b, if you have an option between automatic and manual. the manual transmission will be cheaper and get better gas mileage.
plus they are faster
Faster?

Wrong.
okay, riddle me this (i may be wrong) same EXACT car (engine, etc) one is automatic the other is manual. the automatic will shift at what 3k-4kmaybe 5k if you lucky, plus you get major lag while the driver will shift at redline (7k or 8k) in every gear.

because with the driver deciding when to shift they are able to accelerate quicker? hell i downshift on the freeways to get around trucks/cars all day on thefreeway. cant do that in a automatic. plus isnt this the reason why manuals get better gas mileage than automatics. i shift at 2.5k-3k all day and coast at2.5k-3k and i get 30+ mpg city.

the way im thinking is that that manual will get to a top speed quicker than the automatic, which in turn is faster than an automatic. if im wrong somebodyschool me. ill take the L, especially if you teaching me something. but this has been my perception between auto vs manual. again i maybe wrong so someoneschool me

when i say automatic, im not referring to automatic "manuals". i talking about your run-of-the-mill 4 or 5 speed automatics

I love a manual. My first and current car are sticks. For me, it makes driving that much more enjoyable. But then again, at times it can be a pain. Namely,when you're stuck in traffic.

I've been driving the wife's automatic lately, and it is sort of nice to not have to worry about shifting, clutch, etc. But driving is on autopilot,which is boring.

Im just about to get my first car and my dad is set on getting a stick. I am a little bit hesitant in wanting to drive one but i agree with my dad that it willmake me a better driver in the long run. Is there any cons about manuals i should bring up to him? i just think an automatic would be easier for me to learnon..any thoughts NT?

smh.gif
go do more research b, if you have an option between automatic and manual. the manual transmission will be cheaper and get better gas mileage.
plus they are faster
Faster?

Wrong.
okay, riddle me this (i may be wrong) same EXACT car (engine, etc) one is automatic the other is manual. the automatic will shift at what 3k-4k maybe 5k if you lucky, plus you get major lag while the driver will shift at redline (7k or 8k) in every gear.

because with the driver deciding when to shift they are able to accelerate quicker? hell i downshift on the freeways to get around trucks/cars all day on the freeway. cant do that in a automatic. plus isnt this the reason why manuals get better gas mileage than automatics. i shift at 2.5k-3k all day and coast at 2.5k-3k and i get 30+ mpg city.

the way im thinking is that that manual will get to a top speed quicker than the automatic, which in turn is faster than an automatic. if im wrong somebody school me. ill take the L, especially if you teaching me something. but this has been my perception between auto vs manual. again i maybe wrong so someone school me
It depends on the car you're talking about. On cheaper cars like Civics and Accords, there's a big difference in power comparing manualwith auto. In a car like say, 335i...the auto actually shifts faster than the manual and is rated at 1 MPG better than the manual as well...you can choosewhat gear to start in for the auto and downshift just like the manual. The only thing missing is a clutch pedal.

smh.gif
go do more research b, if you have an option between automatic and manual. the manual transmission will be cheaper and get better gas mileage. plus they are faster
Faster?

Wrong.

WRONG, automatic transmissions are generally slower only cars with like dsg or twin clutch transmission can shift faster then manual cars. you need to learnbefore you tell someone is wrong. automatic cars also take away power, fool

Originally Posted by wj4

THockey66 wrote:

doosta45 wrote:

smh.gif
go do more research b, if you have an option between automatic and
manual. the manual transmission will be cheaper and get better gas mileage.

plus they are faster
Faster?

Wrong.
okay, riddle me this (i may be wrong) same EXACT car (engine, etc) one is automatic the other is manual. the automatic will shift at what 3k-4k
maybe 5k if you lucky, plus you get major lag while the driver will shift at redline (7k or 8k) in every gear.

because with the driver deciding when to shift they are able to accelerate quicker? hell i downshift on the freeways to get around trucks/cars all day on the
freeway. cant do that in a automatic. plus isnt this the reason why manuals get better gas mileage than automatics. i shift at 2.5k-3k all day and coast at
2.5k-3k and i get 30+ mpg city.

the way im thinking is that that manual will get to a top speed quicker than the automatic, which in turn is faster than an automatic. if im wrong somebody
school me. ill take the L, especially if you teaching me something. but this has been my perception between auto vs manual. again i maybe wrong so someone
school me
It depends on the car you're talking about. On cheaper cars like Civics and Accords, there's a big difference in power comparing manual with auto. In a car like say, 335i...the auto actually shifts faster than the manual and is rated at 1 MPG better than the manual as well...you can choose what gear to start in for the auto and downshift just like the manual. The only thing missing is a clutch pedal.

thanks, what i wanted to hear

Originally Posted by funkdoctor73

smh.gif
Faster?

Wrong.
AUTOMATIC transmissions shift faster than humans can.. I would prefer automatic in luxury cars, but definitely manual in exotics..I always destroy my oxfords with all the shifting i do

Angel

...but most, if not all, manuals can hold a gear to higher revs(stock tuned).

I prefer manual for traffic.

I drive an auto to avoid creases in my shoes. I drove an auto from 05-07 and would often remove me left shoe.

I shift the auto to 2nd or 3rd and maybe winter mode(in long lasting stop and go traffic) which starts the car from a stop in 2nd gear, to keep thetransmission cool.

smh.gif
plus they are faster
Faster?

Wrong.
okay, riddle me this (i may be wrong) same EXACT car (engine, etc) one is automatic the other is manual. the automatic will shift at what 3k-4k maybe 5k if you lucky, plus you get major lag while the driver will shift at redline (7k or 8k) in every gear.

because with the driver deciding when to shift they are able to accelerate quicker? hell i downshift on the freeways to get around trucks/cars all day on the freeway. cant do that in a automatic. plus isnt this the reason why manuals get better gas mileage than automatics. i shift at 2.5k-3k all day and coast at 2.5k-3k and i get 30+ mpg city.

the way im thinking is that that manual will get to a top speed quicker than the automatic, which in turn is faster than an automatic. if im wrong somebody school me. ill take the L, especially if you teaching me something. but this has been my perception between auto vs manual. again i maybe wrong so someone school me

when i say automatic, im not referring to automatic "manuals". i talking about your run-of-the-mill 4 or 5 speed automatics
With the advent of computer chips, automatics are much better at timing those shifts than they used to be, says Kwapich, Just as with a manual shift, if you don't drive like a fuel-hogging freak your transmission won't either

Maybe, but probably not in the long run. If the car you want even comes with a standard transmission the automatic will probably cost you $800 to $900 more, says Joe Cashen, director of pricing for Carsdirect.com. In most cases, you'll get that back when you go to sell the car. The exception, he adds, might be for those cars in which stick-shift is de rigueur, for example a sporty little Mazda Miata.
If you have to look hard for the car you want in stick form, it's probably going to actually cost you money in the long run, he says. If a car company doesn't make many cars of a particular model with a standard transmission it's probably because they know they can't sell them that way. And if very few people want to buy that new family sedan or SUV with stick-shift, you think you're going to do better finding a buyer when you need to sell it? Good luck. http://money.cnn.com/2002/12/17/pf/autos/shift_wars/index.htmhttp://money.cnn.com/2002...utos/shift_wars/index.htm

• Manual transmissions are available on only a relatively few models, which narrows your choices. They are typically found on small cars and sports cars.
  • Manuals require more skill and experience to operate well. For example, a car with a manual transmission is harder to get under way when stopped on an uphill (although some cars, such as the Mini and Subaru, come with a helpful hill-holder feature).
  • Congested traffic conditions require a lot of shifting and working the clutch pedal.
  • Because relatively few buyers are choosing manual transmissions, the car could be harder to sell later.

Remember, despite a manual transmission's advantage, you can sometimes do better by buying a different model altogether. For example, at 32 mpg overall, an automatic Toyota Corolla still beats a manual 29-mpg Focus.
  • http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ck-shift-10-08/overview/manual-vs-auto-ov.htmhttp://www.consumerreport...iew/manual-vs-auto-ov.htm
There's a common perception about the fuel economy of traditional manual-shift vehicles that's a bit misleading. "It used to be that a manual transmission had significantly better fuel economy than an automatic, but now the difference is negligible," Omotoso says. "In fact, many vehicles today with a five- or six-speed automatic have better fuel economy in the city than [vehicles] with a five-speed manual. The highway mileages are also similar.
If we take the 2008 Honda Accord Coupe as an example, the 3.5l V6 with a five-speed automatic transmission gets 19 miles per gallon in the city and 28 on the highway. The same car with a six-speed manual gets only 17 mpg in the city and 25 mpg on the highway."
Continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) are another transmission technology that's available in some cars. Instead of having fixed gear ratios like a conventional manual or automatic, CVTs constantly adjust to the current driving conditions. Since there are no gear "steps" to shift between, CVTs often operate more smoothly than other technologies, according to Kavanagh. Many of the top auto manufacturers have offered CVT models over the years, including Dodge/Jeep with the Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass.
http://www.progressive.com/auto-tech/manual-vs-automatic-transmissions.aspxhttp://www.progressive.co...omatic-transmissions.aspx

i did my research and there just wasnt enough info. to prove a case for manuals > automatics. even if they save you gas in most cases its only a couplegallons savings, but like it said up there the cost of the actual car ends up costing you more than what you are paying in gas, because the cars depreciate somuch more an parts can be more expensive.

nice information. i was referring to cars without cvt transmissions and automatic "manuals" but very nice information though.

For fun: stick.
For everything else: stick.
Too many distractions in driving (cell phone especially) that are too easy in an automatic. I'm a little biased because my cousin was killed by a texter(while shooting a video about how drivers keep pedestrians safe) and my uncle was killed way back when cell phones were new, but I think manual transmissionsshould be mandatory. You can't be an idiot and drive stick at the same time.

Originally Posted by funkdoctor73

"FLAPPY PADDLE GEAR BOX" FTW..if anyone watches Top Gear...
laugh.gif

Angel

Did Clarkson come up with that? I use that term all the time and have heard him use it a lot, but didn't know it originated from TG...
laugh.gif

I'd choose manual, it does depend on the car although.

Unless I'm driving an SUV or truck, or a high-end luxury car, I'd prefer a manual.

I had to go from a manual back to an auto, and I'm constantly bored while driving. I find driving manual keeps me more aware and focused when driving, plusit's just plain more fun. Even considering how terrible sticks are in traffic, it's still worth it for me.

Manual is ftw, but i must admit when i come back from school and havent driven in awhile i always stall the first time i try to go anywhere. Once you get thehang of it, manual is so much fun to drive.

people think that by driving manual you get like 10+ better mpg. it's like 1-2 mpg TOPS and most of the times probably won't even make a difference. infact i think on new cars manual can get less mpg than auto. also my car used to be automatic and now converted manual. it does NOT get better mpg and i drivethe same.

i have a manual trans with coilovers and low profile tires with exhaust. it's fun to drive. but my mom recently bought a corolla. i can't stop drivingit. it's so comfortable and i don't have to worry about a damn thing. don't have to worry about car scraping cause too low, shifting in traffic,auto is so relaxing to drive. but i do get bored sometimes and when i go back to my car it's fun to drive. i love both.

i've only owned automatic cars and learned how to drive manual on the fly with random whips i've borrowed from friends or famz.... stick is the way togo with any sedan. i wouldnt recommend it for trucks though

manual for small sporty sedans/coupes/pure sport cars

auto/dsg/smg/tiptronic/whatever for bigger luxury sedans

manual for trucks, only way to go.

Automatic FTW!!
I like being able to not have to worry about changing gears...
I can mess with everything in the car and/or text while driving
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom