NT Enigneers: Some adivice?

I did aero/astro undergrad and now work as a mechanisms engineer for a large aerospace company. Going to grad school now for engineering management.

You definitely need the math to get through your classes. Since I've gotten into industry though I've found that I use very little of it anymore.

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

Well the thing that draws me away from it i guess is my own conscious.
I dont know if im "smart" enough i guess you could say.
Im not dumb though, it just seems like if you want to be an engineer you need to be super advanced with math and all these programs and stuff like that.
I have a C in pre Calc. but i get the idea i need an A to be an engineer.

In the Engineering classes im taking im just up to par on whats going on with whats being taught. While theres those other kids who are always way ahead of everything. Thats what makes me say those kids are gonna be the engineers because i cant do what they do.

The main thing i need to know is if Engineering is more hard work or more brains. Will a C in pre calc get me to where i wanna be. Things like that.

I'm about to graduate with an Industrial and Systems Engineering degree and I can tell you that you will need to use math A LOT in any kind of engineeringdegree. Each class has different material to remember including equations, charts, drawings, and much more. Also, the general education classes are highlevel math, physics, chemistry classes which require memorization/manipulation of formulas (usually taught by horrible foreign professors which are hard tounderstand, making the class twice as difficult and boring). Not to mention some computer coding and drawing classes.

Basically, it takes lots of work to become an engineer.

If you focus more on good study habits and getting your %!++ done you will have no problem. Putting things off and not putting effort into your classess willonly require you to take them again. Have a clear cut idea of what classes you need to take and how you will attack them each semester. Take notes, askquestions, and seek help if you need it and you should be fine in college.

You'll recognize that you start spending more time doing hw and it becomes natural to get your homework out of the way, and at the end of the day you willactually feel pretty accomplished when you finish your hw and there is some poor sucker out there still working on it.
roll.gif

Good luck with whatever you choose!

physica is a b-----, chem is a b----, but engineers are in high demand right now so if u want an easier time finding a job do it, test it out to see if u likeit in the intro classes, almost nobody stays in the smae profession their whole lives anyway

any civil engineering majors who have/are pursuing a master's degree out there? im looking to go back to school since its hard to find a job during thesetimes. if you have any input on how it differs from undergrad, or any input in general thatd be great. im looking to start thiscoming fall.

Originally Posted by Jehlers02

Im in my senior year at high school and am in some engineering classes right now, although im not completely positive i want to be one.
Some of it intrigues me while some stuff pulls me away from it.

Just seeing if there are any engineers on here who like what they do. What kind of engineer are you?
Any advice on what KIND of engineer to be or not to be would also be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.
I'm a mechanical engineer. If you think you can handle heavy math/calculus (well that's the case for any other major) and you don'thate it too much I'd say go for it. It will be tough and you'll have to balance things in terms of time management moreso than other majors becauseyou're on your feet every week of the quarter (or semester). We have weekly homework due in every class; you can choose not to do it, but if you don'tyou're +$%+$# because that's how you learn the material for midterms. It's a lot of work, but after you graduate with a B.S. you can start off witha higher salary and get a reasonably secure job (maybe not right now...) compared to people in other majors.

About my background, I was okay at math in high school. I got a C in precalc too actually (I took it in 10th grade), I also took Calc BC during junior year.But honestly, my "knowledge" of the application of calculus didn't click until I got into college and took the engineering calculus series duringfreshman year. They will "ease" you into the hard stuff the first few years, but once you start taking upper division courses you have to know yourmath/calc extremely well and apply it. You also have to be interested in science; as a mechE I pretty much get the whole spectrum; a little bit of everything.
You'll recognize that you start spending more time doing hw and it becomes natural to get your homework out of the way, and at the end of the day you will actually feel pretty accomplished when you finish your hw and there is some poor sucker out there still working on it.
roll.gif

indeed, i know what you mean
laugh.gif
. also-it's reallyimportant you get to know some people in your classes so you can work/help each other out on the homework.

Originally Posted by yarrh

engineering of any kind besides civil chemical and electrical FTL
I'm a junior chemical engineering major, and like everyone's said, it's a lot more work than other majors. The one thing that I likeis its not as hard to find jobs and internships. I've already interned with Kraft Foods, and this summer I'll be working for Exxon Mobil. My adviceto you is make sure that it is something that you are truly interested in or you will be miserable. I doubt that I will ever work full time as an engineersince its not something I enjoy, (plus I plan on going to law school) but I'm too deep in the curriculum to switch and I have no problem doing the work.

got my M.S. in Mech Engineering 8 years ago, been working ever since.

its a cool job, pays well, cant complain.

Back
Top Bottom