NT, just how safe is a PayPal invoice?

Just wondering. Seller with over 180 positive 100% feedback on eBay. Willing to set up a deal to avoid eBay fees by sending a direct invoice through PayPal.

I mean, through the invoice I will still be buyer protected and 4% will get taken away and all that jazz, right?

Experts check in 
nerd.gif

I did this to sell my Yeezy's.

https://cms.paypal.com/us...er_protection_learn_more
For payments over $250 USD (or local currency equivalent, including shipping and tax), be sure that you have signature confirmation of delivery in addition to proof of shipment (See above). If a buyer files a claim, you must respond to our requests for information as outlined in our communications to you.

You should be good. The payment will clear right away, and as long as you follow the guide for seller protection you should be fine.

Yea I've done a few paypal invoices as a seller. This will be my first time as a buyer though.

It was cool when I was selling because I know I'm not a scammer 
laugh.gif

I think I'll just pay the extra money and do it straight on eBay for more protection.

I do this on all my higher priced items on ebay; you are fully protected just make sure you get sig. confirmation

this is my way of sticking it to eBay so they don't get 10% out of me

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I do this on all my higher priced items on ebay; you are fully protected just make sure you get sig. confirmation

this is my way of sticking it to eBay so they don't get 10% out of me
+1 
sick.gif
 at 10% but 
pimp.gif
 at avoiding it.

Originally Posted by NiceLikeChrist

Yea I've done a few paypal invoices as a seller. This will be my first time as a buyer though.

It was cool when I was selling because I know I'm not a scammer 
laugh.gif

I think I'll just pay the extra money and do it straight on eBay for more protection.
Yeah, I'd just do it on eBay to get the protection

One thing I am wary about doing an invoice is the description/name of item vs. the actual item. Let's say you want to buy a pair of shoes that was listed as brand new on ebay, and you contact the seller and agree to a paypal invoice. The invoice comes, and only lists the description as the name of the shoe and doesn't say brand new or anything. You overlook it and pay, and the shoe comes, and you find out that the seller pulled a switcharoo and sends you beat ones. Are you still protected by paypal?
I've done the paypal invoice plenty of times, but I get nervous every time since not all sellers are honest. One time, I bought a phone and the description only said "goods" although the title of the invoice lists the phone model.

isnt that essentially what happens here on the buy sell forum and you are protected by paypal and your credit card?

PayPal/eBay will 99.99% of the time side with the buyer.

Make sure the invoice fully describes what you're expecting to receive.

My advice would be if you don't feel comfortable about the situation then don't do it.

Please help ! I know this post is old but . I bought some doernbecher 4s through an invoice , but when I got them I found out they were really good fakes . I paid $325 for them what should I do ?

Please help ! I know this post is old but . I bought some doernbecher 4s through an invoice , but when I got them I found out they were really good fakes . I paid $325 for them what should I do ?
return them.

doesn't ebay own paypal?

BUT the only downside of taking ebay out of the equation is that if you just sent this guy a payment through paypal, there's no paper trail that the seller said, "I advertised this item for this price and in this condition". All you're doing is giving money to a stranger.

if you just send a guy a paypal payment, you're just sending him money (as opposed to a public ebay sale that says, this person has agreed to sell this person this item for this price) and there's no guarantee you're getting anything in return.

Last edited:
It's no different from ebay. the seller does it to avoid fees and the buyers do it usually to get a better price.

you still have protection but regardless of these protections paypal and ebay try to make you think you have you can get screwed either way.

Back
Top Bottom