NT School Me on Snowboarding

OK so i have a snowboarding date on Dec. 5
I live in Socal...expecting to go to either Mammoth or Mountain High.
School me on what i need to buy, what i need to rent, prices, advice, tips, etc...I've never been before.
How much am I looking at paying all together if i go for an all day affair? 8 Hr lift ticket is most probable.
Thanks.

Well...you're gonna fall a lot. So i recommend waterproof pants/jacket/gloves. Throw on a beanie. Rent some boots, a board, bindings...you're good togo.

As far as tips, there's only one: Stick with it! Don't quit after 30 minutes. It might suck after a while but if you stick with it, you'll get it.For a lot of people, "it" just clicks, and it's like, "whoa, i got it, i got it".

honestly. you gotta buy a ton of stuff man.
all the gear. mainly the snow pants and a waterproof jacket.
goggles and a hat.
the gear will run you about...300-400 if you play your cards right.
for the pants jacket hat/goggles and such. you'll be renting the cabin or wherever you'll be staying. food and lift ticket.
haven't boarded on the west coast but i've been a few times in WV and NC. the WV slopes are pretty decent.

if you plan on going snowboarding more than 2 or 3 times...buy the gear. like the board boots and bindings. that'll probably run you like another 400-500but you should be able to find some good deals online. i don't know about now because it's starting to get cold, but search around. stuff ain'tcheap though. if you go for one day...just the lift ticket...i've paid anywhere from 25-50 bucks. food will be what...20-40 for the day depending where youeat.

it's not easy either. honestly, if it's your first time i'd go for a two day trip. the first day you won't be getting up off your !!!. lol.
ALL day you'll be fallin down, but after a few hours you'll pick it up. can't give you real tips. once you're on the board you'll figure itout eventually.

good luck kid. you'll have fun though.

fisrt timer? Rent everything at the spot.
Wear extra padding for your butt, you'll need it.

yeah tips is tough without being out there with you. the way my friends taught me is they brought me to the top, said good luck dude, and took off. they wouldlap me a few times and stop and see how i was doing and give me pointers here and there, but i mostly just learned on my own.

invest in some good gloves and goggles. the first time i went i bought the cheapest ones i seen an ended up buying better.

Originally Posted by PicknRoll

get a helmet too..you gonna be falling down ALOT

smh.gif
true story

Hell I fell down numerous times on purpose cause I was goin too fast
laugh.gif
. Hung it up andwent back to skis.

Def get good gloves

If your going to Mountain High or Big Bear, you won't need goggles.

For the first time, you should should invest in pants, gloves, and socks. Thats all you really need. It gets hot in Mountain High once you get going, so justput on a thermal and a shirt over it.

Can't wait till December
pimp.gif

GOOD GOOGLES! You don't want to end up like my homie, sun burnt from the reflection in his eye sockets
laugh.gif

Start on beginner slopes.

It's really pretty easy to pick up. You'll fall often, but it'll come to you as long as you don't move too fast to a more advanced hill.

Don't be an idiot on the lift, obviously. I, and I'm sure others, have seen people fall off. I can't imagine that's enjoyable.

You just have to try and see what you're capable of. Like others have said, rent everything you possibly can your first time out.

Oh, and don't wear anything cotton.

It's expensive, but once you get to a certain level it's very exhilarating. Rent your snowboard and boots for the first few times to make sure you likeit. Also, it will give you a good indication of what size/style to get. Other than that, invest in a good jacket and pants, thermal underwear, goggles and ahelmet...have fun!

- buy wrist guards or gloves with built in wrist guards. burton makes both, and if you get wrist guards, you can usually wear any snowboarding gloves on top.

- buy padded shorts to wear under your pants. burton makes some called impact shorts, but i prefer to rock with my triple 8 padded shorts, as they seem tohave better padding. trust me, you will be falling on your butt a LOT.

- buy knee pads, too, cause you will also be falling on your knees a lot.

- make sure you get good first layers -- long underwear tops and bottoms.

- make sure you have a nice fleece to wear underneath your jacket shell. the first layer and fleece are what keep you warm, not the shell.

- take a lesson. if you can, get a one hour private lesson. they usually run around $50 to $100, but it's worth it. trust me on this.

So aside from clothing I could probably rent a board, boots and bindings there? Kind of paranoid about renting clothes and goggles even if that's availablesince I had some unpleasant experiences at skateparks where helmets were mandatory and they had a box of loaner helmets.

So for goggles does the color of the tint matter I'd guess something kind of dark with UV protection would be good for the glare from the snow. Polarized?

Definitely going to look into some padded shorts.

DONT RENT ON THE MOUNTAIN. Find a store near you or at the base to rent from, its WAY cheaper.
Originally Posted by fugualarmclock

So aside from clothing I could probably rent a board, boots and bindings there? Kind of paranoid about renting clothes and goggles even if that's available since I had some unpleasant experiences at skateparks where helmets were mandatory and they had a box of loaner helmets.

So for goggles does the color of the tint matter I'd guess something kind of dark with UV protection would be good for the glare from the snow. Polarized?

Definitely going to look into some padded shorts.

Goggles depends on what time you're going. Morning, afternoon, evening, night?

Black tinted/Polarized are for sunny days. Green are for cloudy days. Yellow/Red colored for low light situations (evening). Clear for night time

My first time was March of this year. I went to Big Bear and got sunburn from the reflection of the sun off the snow, so look into sunblock. I wore jeans, soI'd definitely recommend snow pants. Gloves are also very necessary. I started off without them, and had to buy some. You will fall a lot, not matter howwell you have the concept of how to control the board in your head. When you are able to stay upright, you will NOT be traveling as fast as you feel you are,so don't panic. I'd say half of my falls were bailouts because I was afraid I was going to somehow fly off the trail and kill myself. The onlypractical advice I can give is to keep whatever side of the board facing downhill elevated above the snow. Just know that if you fail in doing this, you willstop instantly and smash into the ground, lol. I did manage some impressive flips and slides in learning this rule though.

Everyone pretty much went through everything you need. makesure you dont get your shirt inside your jacket wet. you will be really cold if you do.. i haventbeen to big bear yet but i been to mnt. high and it was whatever. i hear big bear is way better. nothing like lake tahoe tho for my norcal heads.. i would wearsweats or some shorts on the way home to relax. because you will feel sore and tired after if not forsure the next day. id bring snacks up the hill like acandy bar or a granola bar and maybe a water if you got a bag . you can keep the food in your pocket if you dont want to bring water. dudes at mount high arejerks if you ask for water from them, well the ones i met.

oh and if you fall getting off the lift get out of the way as fast as you can. dont wanna get into a pileup haha.

Thanks 18key I figured the lenses were conditional. Hopefully my friends will be able to steer me the right way.

Coming from Hawaii I don't even know how to dress right for the cold so snowboarding is probably the steepest learning curve I made for myself. At least Igot years of skateboarding experience which many people tell me will help a lot. I can foresee myself freezing my butt off for sure even if I manage to getdown some hills alright.

Man I can't tell you guys how bad I want to learn to snow board. Question for you guys who have been doing it for awhile. I have heard snow boarding isvery similar to surfing, which I have never done, in the regard that core strength is very important. My core strength/balance is in top shape (I am a gym rat)and was wondering if this will help me pick it up a lot faster?

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

Man I can't tell you guys how bad I want to learn to snow board. Question for you guys who have been doing it for awhile. I have heard snow boarding is very similar to surfing, which I have never done, in the regard that core strength is very important. My core strength/balance is in top shape (I am a gym rat) and was wondering if this will help me pick it up a lot faster?
Riding down a hill carving up the slope is all in your hips. There's a learning curve when you're either toe turning and heel turning, butonce you find youself the right edge, you'll be good. In other words, it helps.

Every since the game ssx on xbox i always wanted to snowboard. Then realized that i have no type of balance.

snowboarding>skateboarding

yes i have been snowboarding. i used to get decked out in burton with the white boys

Back
Top Bottom