NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Homebrew!

Left Hand Milk Stout Clone(we brewed two Fridays ago). I did an internet search and went with the first one I saw. This was just kegged this morning, so its sitting way undercarbonated. But it's damn tasty already

Recipe for anyone whos interested:
Batch Size 10 gallons
Mash Ingredients
Amt Name Type #
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1 lbs 4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain
--------------
Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 29.57 qt of water at 163.8 F 151.0 F 75 min
Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 2 steps (4.13gal, 4.13gal) of 170.0 F water
---------------
Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 24.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 9.7 IBUs
2.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 2.9 IBUs
2 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) [Boil for10 min](0.0 SRM) Sugar 12 8.1 %
-------------------------

Recipe originally called for 0.66 oz of Magnum, and some kent golding. They were out of golding, so I went with Fuggles as aroma hops.. I did add my own cascade since the original recipe also only called for a lower ABV. I amped it up a notch.

Original recipe had :
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.022
IBU: 23

We got :
Original Gravity: 1.068
Final Gravity: 1.026
IBU: 38

The milk sugars really changed the FG reading by as much as .018. So I'm not entirely sure how ABV works here with unfermentable sugars affecting FG.

Fermentation wise,
It called for safale american 05. We used 3 packages of that stuff, hydrated before hand with water. We did a primary fermentation for 10 days and secondaried for 4..

We may be cutting it a touch close but my brewing partner was ready to try some, and with thanksgiving, this should be carbed up perfectly by then.

Some Vienna Ale info coming soon

Last edited:
Homebrew!

Left Hand Milk Stout Clone(we brewed two Fridays ago). I did an internet search and went with the first one I saw. This was just kegged this morning, so its sitting way undercarbonated. But it's damn tasty already

Batch Size 10 gallons
Mash Ingredients
Amt Name Type #
--------------
Mash Steps
---------------
Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

Recipe originally called for 0.66 oz of Magnum, and some kent golding. They were out of golding, so I went with Fuggles as aroma hops.. I did add my own cascade since the original recipe also only called for a lower ABV. I amped it up a notch.

Original recipe had :

We got :

The milk sugars really changed the FG reading by as much as .018. So I'm not entirely sure how ABV works here with unfermentable sugars affecting FG.

Fermentation wise,
It called for safale american 05. We used 3 packages of that stuff, hydrated before hand with water. We did a primary fermentation for 10 days and secondaried for 4..

We may be cutting it a touch close but my brewing partner was ready to try some, and with thanksgiving, this should be carbed up perfectly by then.

Very nice man. I don't do milk stouts (not vegan) but looks tasty and I remember Left Hand's version being pretty decent. I'm hoping to get back into it soon, just need to get my hands on a chest freezer for some temperature control.

Each its own, but i really hate STOUT beer. My taste buds has no love for it. I think i'll stick to lagers and ales.

Last edited:
Notes taken***
Then why the hell am I have such bad experience with stouts..... First the guinness,then the SA merry maker [emoji]128529[/emoji]

Finally checked out taps brew house in brea. Thier ipa was amazing. I was bummed they tapped out of the dipa. All the beers were solid but nothing really mind blowing. Drinking narwhal to end the night.

You guys ever ruin a beer by over-drinking it on a night out? Happened to me Friday with Duvel.

Not in one night, but I bough a case of Zombie Dust awhile back and drank one a night for nearly a month. I didn't want to see the stuff for the next six months. And now I can't find it.

Homebrew!

Batch Size 10 gallons
Mash Ingredients
Amt Name Type #
--------------
Mash Steps
---------------
Boil Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

Original recipe had :

We got :

Fermentation wise,

Very nice man. I don't do milk stouts (not vegan) but looks tasty and I remember Left Hand's version being pretty decent. I'm hoping to get back into it soon, just need to get my hands on a chest freezer for some temperature control.

We do 60-75 degree fermentation ALES for that very reason. We don't have temp control. For the most part brewing in the summer relies on some luck finding a cool spot in the house, a bucket of water surrounding the beer (think 'trash' barrel), and a yeast strain that is more geared in the 68-75 degree range.

Fall into the winter time, we don't brew often but this is the time to do it. The coolest part of the house sits around 61. A blanket and some heat, and it may never reach above 72. In the summer months, we'd never get cooler than 73 for 4-5 hours of the day. This has lead to many off flavors in a few of our beers.
--------------
Today I just thew down a side by side blind tasting with AVBC Holy Gose against WB Gose
WB on the left, AVBC on the right
9ac28f5a6c99b9677034a157969d42da_640x640.jpg

I gave a slight nod to WBs. It seemed to have less carbonation and less crispness, thus giving WBs version a touch more creaminess or smoothness for the style. Plus a bit more tartness and complexity.

BA has them 91 vs 86. I'd go much close on AVBC, to around 88-89..

I just finished a small Magic Hat winterland sampling.. Can't say any are completely memorable. But none of them sucked.. 3-3.5s across the boards

Last edited:
Anyone tried Bells Two hearted ale? I CANT FIND IT NO WHERE!

I was in Orlando for work last week and it was readily available. Definitely put down my fair share of them since Bell's doesn't distribute to Texas.

If we are getting technical, ALL beer is either a Lager or an Ale.
Stouts are ales.
Cheers..

I believe the difference is the temperature that they are brewed at. Lagers are brewed at a colder temp and ales are brewed at a warmer temp.

Back
Top Bottom