NT: Why isn't Wilt considered the greatest?

Originally Posted by AntBanks81

Originally Posted by pdoggy85

aafq036bill-russell-photofile-posters.jpg
>

Wilt was the MOST DOMINANT to ever play the game...

but he didn't have the certain intangibles, like leadership, to win
championships. Plus, he dominated because there was no one else
his size to compete against. MJ is the greatest because he led his team
to SIX championships plus he has a higher career scoring average anyway

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by lakersmets49ers

because bill russell made wilt his personal girlfriend come playoff time year in year out.
laugh.gif
You believe this? Seriously NBA history knowledge lacking major on NT. Wilt destroyed anyone who faced him, including Russel the only thing Russel did was stop him from scoring 50...sometimes.
laugh.gif

Wilt has just as much claim to the GOAT title as anyone else.

Dwight Howard can average 20 points a game with no decipherable post game other than a decent spin move and baby hook. Now take Wilt 7'1 by all accounts more athletic, than Dwight, apparently had a 46 inch vert, a former college hurdler (AT 7'1
eek.gif
), long jumper and higher jumper. Now add in the skill set great passer, high basketball IQ, great post game, hook shots, fade aways, finger rolls and probably the strongest player and the hardest worker in NBA history.

Wilt might be the greatest pure ATHLETE to ever play anything.
laugh.gif

This forums is so 90's centric, no knowledge of what came before you.
smh.gif
i do know that winning championships > putting up crazy numbers. if wilt won more that what he did, there very well would be a strongargument for him being ranked higher but he had a reputation for dissapearing in the clutch and ive heard that mostly from older heads who actually watched himplay.

still
eek.gif
at him never fouling out of a game

he led his team to a ring once, the year philly had a crazy record and finally beat boston. in 1972 he was on the decline with the lakers and wasn't themain vocal point of that team.

Probably brcause of the era he played in plus losing nunerous times to Bill Russell doesn't help either

LOL .... if anyone thinks bill russell is a greater basketball player than MJ. then yes, LOL.

wilt was just in a right era. when he faced kareem, he coudln't guard him to save his girls....even though wilt was older..

wilt had to face with some of the unknown centers.. i mean bill russell is known to be this era's ben wallace. he had no offense.

bill has more rings than mj, but how many teams were there back then? eight? ......

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

who was he playing against all those years?? what did the competition look like???.. i can probably bet that there wasnt any real defensive minded type players back then... or any dudes that where even close to his size... like someone else said... the average center back then was 6'5???
Exactly my point, I'd like to see him go up against Kareem, Hakeem, young Shaq, and GOOD centers night in and night out.

Name me three good centers that were around when Wilt dominated.

Please.
Bill Russel
Willis Reed
Hmm you may have something there.

I think it's funny that people bring up the fact that he can't be considered one of the greatest of all time because the centers in his era weren'tas tall as they are now. I guess taking advantage of your size is wrong. It's like asking Jordan to not out smart all of his opponents because it'sunfair. Wilt should be considered one of the greatest basketball players ever.

in my opinion he's the greatest offensive player in the history of the game.. yeah i said it.. it's not even about rings... cause that's stupidwhen you consider how many rings he has compared to others... does that mean that steve kerr is better than stockton cause stockton doesnt have any rings>?but you can never compare players from past and present, cause times change, the game changed too.. and jordan is not even the best offensive player ever..he's #3.. wilt #1, KB24 is #2

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

who was he playing against all those years?? what did the competition look like???.. i can probably bet that there wasnt any real defensive minded type players back then... or any dudes that where even close to his size... like someone else said... the average center back then was 6'5???
Exactly my point, I'd like to see him go up against Kareem, Hakeem, young Shaq, and GOOD centers night in and night out.

Name me three good centers that were around when Wilt dominated.

Please.
Bill Russel
Willis Reed
Hmm you may have something there.
Willis Reed, as good as he was, was 6'9''.

Most teams in the League now have at least one player who is 7' tall, I don't know the statistics, but other than Wilt, I wonder how many guys tallerthan 6'10'' there were, not to mention the length of Wilt.

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

in my opinion he's the greatest offensive player in the history of the game.. yeah i said it.. it's not even about rings... cause that's stupid when you consider how many rings he has compared to others... does that mean that steve kerr is better than stockton cause stockton doesnt have any rings>? but you can never compare players from past and present, cause times change, the game changed too.. and jordan is not even the best offensive player ever.. he's #3.. wilt #1, KB24 is #2

let me just save your time, no.

why is that? didnt wilt average 50 points per game for one season>? dont you think that kobe is gonna break more of jordans scoring records? i know for somepeople on NT jordan is GOD, but you cant ignore the fact that kobe is scoring more points than jordan.. and that he is an offensive juggernaut that no one canstop.

career avg... plus it's not like wilt shot 70 percent. dude was greedy and took prolly 40shots to reach 50.

and kobe might break mj's record b/c he came out of high school and mj didn't really play that long. he retired when he was at the top.

i mean either way, lbj will break every record kobe has in terms of career wise..

so who cares if he didnt shoot 70% like jordan wasnt greedy? someone remember finals game against phoenix? wasnt 43 shots jordan took to score 50

Season Age Tm Lg G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1959-60 23 PHW NBA 72 46.4 14.8 32.1 .461 8.0 13.8 .582 27.0 2.3 2.1 37.6
1960-61 24 PHW NBA 79 47.8 15.8 31.1 .509 6.7 13.3 .504 27.2 1.9 1.6 38.4
1961-62 25 PHW NBA 80 48.5 20.0 39.5 .506 10.4 17.0 .613 25.7 2.4 1.5 50.4
1962-63 26 SFW NBA 80 47.6 18.3 34.6 .528 8.3 13.9 .593 24.3 3.4 1.7 44.8

Originally Posted by TheYoungestGun

so who cares if he didnt shoot 70% like jordan wasnt greedy? someone remember finals game against phoenix? wasnt 43 shots jordan took to score 50

Season Age Tm Lg G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
1959-60 23 PHW NBA 72 46.4 14.8 32.1 .461 8.0 13.8 .582 27.0 2.3 2.1 37.6
1960-61 24 PHW NBA 79 47.8 15.8 31.1 .509 6.7 13.3 .504 27.2 1.9 1.6 38.4
1961-62 25 PHW NBA 80 48.5 20.0 39.5 .506 10.4 17.0 .613 25.7 2.4 1.5 50.4
1962-63 26 SFW NBA 80 47.6 18.3 34.6 .528 8.3 13.9 .593 24.3 3.4 1.7 44.8
anyways, mj avged more career wise. he had so many moves and also efficient. kobe has lots of moves but some of em are like od, and you knowhe's gonna miss it.
kobe is not better offensive player than mj...only thing he has over mj is 3 pointer. and that's still even questionable.

He's definitely not the best, but some of you are underrating his physical abilities. Apparently people are forgetting that he was a track star at7'0". I swear some of you think athleticism
didn't exist until 1984

nba_dime2_395.jpg

wilt2.jpg
\

lets not sit here and diminish what he did b/c he was 7ft. yao is taller than anyone else and not throwing up those type of numbers. and Should Dwight Howardbe considered fraud b/c theres not great centers like the 90's(hakeem, robinson, ewing, etc.)

face it Wilt was great. when we evaluate players from different eras we should evaluate the player on how they dominated their competition.

no is wilt the greatest NO. he didnt have the heart to win those chips againt bill russell. i say its:

1a. MJ
1b. Wilt

Originally Posted by memphisboi55

[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
[table][tr][td]
61-62
[/td] [td]
Phil.
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]

\

[/td] [/tr][/table]

sick.gif

quite possibly (and probably), the most ridiculous stat line EVER

Oscar Robertson's triple-double is an extremely close 2nd though...almost like 1a 1b...

Back
Top Bottom