Off White x Air Jordan V (All Star Weekend 2020)

I gotta agree with this. 10 years ago this would have been looked at as some hybrid type J that everyone would have flamed on. Amazing how times have changed.
:rofl:It really is something. I at least hope anyone who digs this also isn’t bothered when their other clear-soled shoes turn yellow naturally.
I mentioned something about this A couple of months ago ... maybe sneaker people are going to turn into watch people. In watchland, a lot of people don’t want vintage watches that have been serviced and polished to look new again. They place a huge premium on patina. Two Rolex Submariners from, say, 1969–the one that looks more worn than the other will command a higher price and be seen as the better piece. Maybe we’re on the verge of a similar turn with shoes. But I doubt it lol

Look, we all get caught up in branding. We buy a brand that we like. To play the other side of the discussion, I would ask you, would you have liked the Concord if it was a Spalding that had zero to do with MJ at all? Its not a terrible question when you think about it. My point of this is to touch on the fact that people may like a shoe simply because of the branding more than they do the actual design. The OW tag now is always gonna sway minds more their way than if the shoe did not have it. It wouldnt even be considered a shoe to purchase. at one time imo.
Or think of it this way. If MJ wore the 6 rings design during the 95-96 season, what would you value that shoe at? Where would it rank. Brands drive our attention. But the design should make or break it. Just because it has a Jumpman on it, does not mean I automatically want it. It has to look good to ME.

I couldn’t care less about the off white branding I just think the shoe looks kinda neat.. Kinda a fresh take on the 5 without deviating too far from the original like the off white 1s.

I couldn’t care less about the off white branding I just think the shoe looks kinda neat.. Kinda a fresh take on the 5 without deviating too far from the original like the off white 1s.
Same. Can't stand off white, 1's look wonky. Not a hype beast guy by any stretch of the imagination. Hate sail aswell, never looks aged to me, just looks dirty. I'm usually into clean shoes only but it is strange how yellow soles were an inevitable enemy once upon a time but now catches my eye since blue soles came around. Its reminds me of my first car, it was an olds toranado beater & I hated it to death when I had it, but now I would give anyting to have it back. My 1st jordans were white infrared 6's when I was a kid & those turned yellow pretty damn quick aswell as my brothers black infrared 6's. I remember seeing my brother trying to brush his w/ a toothbrush so I did the same. Eventually grew out of them but grew into my brothers 6's & wore those when they looked like pintos & the soles looked like the sun. Wish I had kept both shoes.

OG color way purist. Very particular about collabs with Nike's. Think the off-white collabs have been awful outside of the original 10 and even those are somewhat lukewarm sans the first run presto and the chicago color way Air Jordan 1...............

With that being said, there's something hot about these. I think 5's are at their best being worn casually with yellowed soles, particularly black 5's. John Conner type of early/mid 90's grunge feel. And is that a...magnifying glass on the medial side?? :nerd:

The turn will come on these. Don't be too quick to diss them yet.

200.webp

Virgil could have done a much better job on these. Also, what the hell is up with the cutout on the ankle and the circle sewn on to of the side mesh? Watch Jordan Brand troll and put that OG netting that never turns yellow.

Reminds me of my old beat to death ‘06 black metallics before I threw them away in 2015 lol. Gotta say that yellow sole is accurate as far as how they looked before I had to throw em away. Interesting to see a shoe come like that out of the box.

Virgil could have done a much better job on these. Also, what the hell is up with the cutout on the ankle and the circle sewn on to of the side mesh? Watch Jordan Brand troll and put that OG netting that never turns yellow.

Def looks like he just used that circle tool thing on MS paint and clicked on that spot.

yeah legit thought they could be nice without the strange circles on them...i don't really get that

These keep popping up on my social media. Still trash, but take away the pissy soles, MS paint holes and co-branding, you'd have a retro worth considering.

Like the idea of a decon/slimmed down 5 but the holes in the netting are a total headscratcher.. Someone said it already but my first thought was the Jordan 25.

I love the AJv but its so hard for me to rock them because there so bulky especially the tongue. I also think they look better a little beat up. But I hardly wear my metallic blacks because of that. After seeing these, it makes sense. Its a bit deconstructed and less padding. Just look at that tongue. I hope I can cop these. I'm IN!

i dont mind the distressed look...but it wouldve looked better without the random circles and print on the netting

Back
Top Bottom