Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

I don't give a @!%# if you're the Warriors, giving up 147 to the Spurs is *!$%+@+ absurd.

And good to see Stuckey back out there playing well tonight.

laugh.gif
at Jordan's face after Johnson hit that game winner, and at his wardrobe but that one goes without saying. Dude had on a 16 inch sterling silver chain. C'mon bruh

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

laugh.gif
at Jordan's face after Johnson hit that game winner, and at his wardrobe but that one goes without saying. Dude had on a 16 inch sterling silver chain. C'mon bruh
laugh.gif
chain was tight as a dog collar
smh.gif

Originally Posted by belle155

Originally Posted by Three6mafia2007

there's no way that Varejao is the second most valuable Cav. That belongs to Mo Williams, and I don't care what stat you bring up

wrong.  im pretty sure we were like 9-1 without mo, or something like that.  AV is very unique in his style of play.  if mo goes down we have a few people that can bring tha ball up.  mo is great but AV is more valuable

I agree with everything belle said except "mo is great."

Darren collison is a good pick up for the hornets, he really stepped it up since cp3 is out, he's so good that the hornets might trade him......wait what?...(yes they might trade him)

i dont understand this move

[h2]Hornets Could Package Collison With Peja's Expiring[/h2]
Mar 19, 2010 11:22 PM EST

noh_40.gif
Teams looking for a quality starting point guard could be calling the Hornets about Darren Collison.

The Hornets are expected to be cautious until they are certain about Paul’s health, but one NBA source said it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the team try to package Collison with Peja Stojakovic’s expiring contract next season in a possible trade.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen in the future,

Originally Posted by Spectacular23

Darren collison is a good pick up for the hornets, he really stepped it up since cp3 is out, he's so good that the hornets might trade him......wait what?...(yes they might trade him)

i dont understand this move

cp3.jpg

Last I checked CP3 was still on that team.  Unless they plan on running two point guards, you don't need to keep a rookie PG whose stock is as high as Collison's.  You sell high, package him with a bad contract, and try to get someone to help out Paul.

CP will love this

[h3]A new kind of Blazermania[/h3]
days ago, the Portland Trail Blazers fired their assistant general manager, Tom Penn.

And one of the NBA's most robust fanbases is starting to freak out,to the point that there is literally talk, in Blazer fan blog comments,of riots.

Around the League Penn is seen as a guy who knows a thing or twoabout basketball, but he's mainly prized as the former criminal defenseattorney who mastered the NBA's more arcane stuff like the collectivebargaining agreement.

And nobody mourns lawyers. Right? (Even fans of that assistant GM,if such people exist, could hardly be too upset -- Penn will keepdrawing paychecks for more than two years even if he doesn't landanother job. But teams are interested, and Penn is a shoo-in for a goodposition. Just last summer he passed up an offer to run theTimberwolves' basketball operations.) It's the kind of story that justabout does not matter to fans ... in most cities.

But in Portland, things are different, because the firing of Pennis the first serious crack in the facade of the new-era Blazers. Andthrough that crack, fans can peer into the team's inner workings. Thescene is ugly. It may even foretell the end of the happy Blazers storyPortland fans celebrate as real-time folklore.

In this story, Penn serves as a kind of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.He's a bit player to onlookers. But when he went down, it was clear thebig trouble was imminent.

Nothing like the real World War I is remotely close -- but forPortland fans, the worst thing imaginable may well be on the horizon.

The face of the franchise, and perhaps the most beloved generalmanager in the NBA, is Kevin Pritchard. The former Kansas and NBAplayer's drafting and trades have built a Blazer nucleus with playerslike Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge, Nicolas Batum, Marcus Camby, AndreMiller and Greg Oden, to go with an exceedingly bright future. Lastyear, with one of the youngest teams in NBA history, Portland finishedtied for second in the West with 54 wins. This season, despite ahistoric series of injuries -- the team played without a center at allfor a long stretch -- the Blazers may well win 50.

Until Pritchard took over, the city of Portland's only major sportsfranchise was a laughingstock, known as the Jail Blazers. The playerswere talented but underachieving. The fans, and at times the police,weren't happy with the players' off-court behavior. The business officewas at odds with the basketball operations staff. In a city famous forrain, the Blazers were a multi-year thunderstorm.

The theory about discordant teams is that no matter how talented,they will crack under pressure. In giving up a 15-point fourth quarterlead to the Lakers in Game 7 of the 2000 Western conference finals, thePortland Trail Blazers proved that theory as well as any team ever has.

But in recent years, that has all been forgotten. In the summer of2008, the Blazer executives went on a team-building retreat in theArizona desert. The talk, coming out of the retreat, was of abasketball staff that had bridged old divides with the business staff.Through the magic of ranches, and Kevin Pritchard, everyone was on thesame page. Naive though it may have seemed, it was portrayed again andagain as one big, happy family.

Trail Blazers president Larry Miller insists that Penn's departureis no sign the Blazer stakeholders were faking team harmony all along."What happened with Tom was unfortunate," Miller explains. "But theresults that this organization was able to make happen I don't thinkcould have happened if we weren't on the same page working together andpulling together."

And yet, for the last couple of days it has not only been hard tofind Pritchard -- who is usually in heavy contact with the media -- butit has also been hard to find anyone who will predict that Pritchardwill stick in Portland for the long haul, whether he departs of his ownvolition or at the instigation of the team.

"If they fire KP," said a comment from "iDea" on the Blazersedge blog, "after building the team back to being respectable and with a winning culture, it’ll be the last straw with most fans."

"Could you imagine the scene if KP left ... There might be anactual riot" writes "blazeraddict." Another commenter, "somanluna,"quickly added: "I would be in it (the riot) It would absurd to let theman responsible for rebuilding the franchise to what it is today go atthis point. He’s done so much and is very passionate about the team anddoing what’s right for it so who would be better?"

"I think their fears are justified," says Warren LeGarie whorepresents both Pritchard and Penn, when asked if he could say anythingto settle down Blazer fans. He offered no tonics. "We've been given noindication that this team sees Kevin as somebody who will be there on along-term basis. All we've seen is them taking away people that Kevinfeels are important to his ability to do his job successfully. ... I'vebeen a Blazer fan from early on. I've been involved in some way withthe team for many many years. I want them to be successful. They gaveKevin an unbelievably wonderful opportunity. But in order to make thatopportunity work, he still needs to have people who believe in himaround him, and people that he'd like to have, and that's certainly notthe case anymore."

Perhaps the worst possible news for Blazer fans is that accordingto sources, last summer LeGarie became so convinced that the Blazerswould not commit to Pritchard for the long haul that the agent hasspent the season looking for another team to take on Pritchard andPenn. His concerns would seem to be validated, somewhat, by the firingof Penn.

Most observers have assumed that Pritchard is on a short list ofuntouchably promising young GMs, along with the Thunder's Sam Prestiand the Rockets' Daryl Morey. But around the League, plenty now insistPritchard is likely to seek a new home, either because he'll be firedor because he'll resign.

Asked to promise to fans that the team's star employee would stickaround, team president Miller offered more platitudes than specifics.

"Kevin is the GM here," says Miller. "I can never commit to anybodybeing around long term. I don't know that I'll be here long term.That's just not the way it works. To me, Kevin is our GM, and myfeeling is we should focus on finishing out the season, trying to wingames, trying to have a successful run in the playoffs. That should beour focus right now. The situation with Tom was in isolated incident.It's unfortunate, but hopefully we can put it behind us."

Why was Tom Penn fired, anyway?
In extensive conversations with well-placed sources across the NBA,a variety of theories have been presented about what precipitatedPenn's firing just a few months after he received a significant raiseand promotion. Larry Miller dismissed them all.

One reported theory is that LeGarie and Penn exaggerated word of aMinnesota offer, to get Penn a raise. Miller says: "I have no ideawhere that ever came from. From my perspective, I've never heard anydispute internally that Tom had a valid offer." ESPN.com has obtained acopy of the Minnesota offer. Is there any chance Penn was fired forfaking the Minnesota job? According to Miller: "No."

Similarly, there are stories that Penn may have been flirting withthe Clippers, who recently fired Mike Dunleavy as general manager. Isthat why Penn was ousted? "Absolutely not," says Miller. Likewise,sources insist Penn never sought that job.

Another report said that Penn was fired because of some unspecified"H.R. issue." Miller's response was that there's "nothing valid tothat."

Still more sources suggest that in the lead-up to his firing, Pennhad been involved in a personal confrontation of sorts with top Blazerbrass. "I'd like to know who makes up this kind of stuff," says Miller."That's absolutely, positively, untrue. ... That, I can tell you, isunequivocally untrue."

The final theory, and one that a half-dozen sources insist is real,whether or not it led directly to Penn's firing, is that there's anongoing and long-term power struggle between the basketball operationsstaff and the owner's suite. As the theory goes, Pritchard and Penn hadamalgamated too much power and autonomy in making basketball decisions,and the people who sign the checks resolved to clip Pritchard's wings.Firing Penn was a handy way to do so -- Pritchard is no contractexpert, and without Penn, he'd have no choice but to bring others intothe process whenever he had the kinds of legal or CBA issues that Pennonce handled.

Miller says that could not be so, because owner Paul Allen hasnever had any curbs on his own influence throughout the organization."Paul is the owner," says Miller, "and the owner has the ultimate sayon every decision, because we're spending his money. So, if Paul wantsto weigh in or have input, he absolutely has that. There's nothing tothat story."

What's more, Miller says Pritchard will be the key figure in hiringa replacement assistant GM, although for unclear reasons that likelywon't happen until the summer.

So, if it wasn't because of the Minnesota theory, the Clippertheory, the H.R. theory, the confrontation theory, or the corporatepolitics theory ... why is it again that Penn was fired?

"I'm not going to talk about that," says Miller.

Miller may not, but Blazer fans certainly will.

In this story, Penn serves as a kind of Archduke Franz Ferdinand.He's a bit player to onlookers. But when he went down, it was clear thebig trouble was imminent.
laugh.gif
roll.gif

that whole article is funny as hell.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Last I checked CP3 was still on that team.  Unless they plan on running two point guards, you don't need to keep a rookie PG whose stock is as high as Collison's.  You sell high, package him with a bad contract, and try to get someone to help out Paul.

yep

Back
Top Bottom