Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

missed_the_point.jpg

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

It's one thing to act like that on the bench with your teammates, but when you do it ON THE COURT, AND YOU'RE A ROOKIE, during actual game time, and try to show the other team up, that's when it gets out of hand. You don't do that as a rookie, especially when the star player is sitting. If he really has balls, he'll do it tonight in the game that Bron is playing in. I hope the Cavs blow they %@+!# out and dance and stunt up and down the court all night. Of course none of you will understand this, because it's a Lebron hate fest on NT. Also, Jennings has just doomed any team he ever plays on when Lebron plays against him
Jennings been showboating and acting wild since he was in highschool...since when has bron started dancing and all this bull @%** since this year??.jennings has ALWAYS felt himself too much (nh)...and that EYE thing...Jennings been doing that against other teams, not JUST the cavs...get bron's jock off your mouth...downright disgusting
sick.gif

Um, I'll just watch in horror when Lebron put up either a disgusting triple double or 50 on the Bucks tonight. I'll let the CLEVELAND CAVALIERS prove my point. But I know what yall will say, "The Bucks played last night, and they were tired". So find another excuse once they get thrashed tonight and Bron catch Jennings on the break
Dude.. Seriously... What the hell are you rambling about?

Um, I'll just watch in horror when Lebron put up either a disgusting triple double or 50 on the Bucks tonight.
I wouldn't doubt it. I almost expect it at this point. But that has nothing to do with the fact that it's ridiculous for Lebron to criticize ANYONE for dancing/showboating.

So basically you're making zero sense right now.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

So let get this straight. If lebron did all this it would be considered okay but when a ROOKIE does it, its considered disrespectful and "feeling himself a lil too much". Like posted above what if he was having fun and loves doing what he does for a living and is having fun with it. Like Lebron and the cavs dancing on the sidelines. People are not hating lebron for him being downright
sick.gif
on the court, they are hating him for being a drama queen and getting butt hurt after he gets a taste of his own medicine. Seriously he needs to grow up and until then im going to enjoy every time i see him storm off the court when they lose in the playoffs
pimp.gif

Kobe's not passing the torch to Lebron...Lebron's snatching it away while Kobe still has the talent to enjoy it. And that bothers you. That's all that needs to be said.
laugh.gif
 i love how your only response  is Lebron>Kobe. I know it bothers you that  every time cavs get knocked off you have nothing to say and come playoffs you will be speechless again. While Kobe is holding up another trophy
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Um, I'll just watch in horror when Lebron put up either a disgusting triple double or 50 on the Bucks tonight. I'll let the CLEVELAND CAVALIERS prove my point. But I know what yall will say, "The Bucks played last night, and they were tired". So find another excuse once they get thrashed tonight and Bron catch Jennings on the break
Dude.. Seriously... What the hell are you rambling about?

Never has a point but then will come back later, post a
laugh.gif
and then say that most of the things he says are just jokes like he always does.

Dikembe Mutombo

The retired 7-footer and former Defensive Player of theYear is in town today in part to meet with Griz rookie center Hasheem Thabeet. Itis believed, too, that the Griz will talk to Mutombo about working as a paid consultantin the offseason.

Mutombo will spend a lot of time coaching Thabeet in thesummer ff the Griz have their way. Memphisstruck out in its bid to hire Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who revealedlate last year that a bout with cancer would prevent him from working.
pimp.gif
There's still hope.

I'm glad management smartened up and is trying to bring in a guy to help Thabeet.

^How has Thabeet's D been this season? I only got to catch him and the Grizz a handful of times and the only game where the guy got any playing time was at the Kings game. He swatted the $$%% out of Beno's weak as floater
pimp.gif
it was on some D-Howard status
smh.gif
Anyways, during that game the guy could really play solid help D and man to man D. Honestly it doesnt look like his defense needs much help; but any help (especially from Mutumbo) will be
eek.gif
for the kid. His offensive game is weak a crap though, but that was already a given.

Originally Posted by DLo13

I got $5 on OOC making a "Trouble in the City of Angels?" topic by tomorrow...

There's even an article so he can make it look legitimate.

What's wrong with the Lakers?
By John Hollinger

Reading the tea leaves in Phil Jackson's potential return to the Los Angeles Lakers after this season has been a popular pastime in recent weeks, but in focusing on that storyline, it seems we might have buried the lead.

Before a game in Oklahoma City last week, Jackson talked about his future and threw in an interesting take on his team's chances this season.

"If we win, it's almost imperative to give it another shot," Jackson said. "But there are a lot of ifs in there. Winning is a really big if. There are four playoffs you have to get through before you can say that we won. … That's a long shot."

Come again? The Lakers, the defending champions? A long shot?

That's certainly not the national mood -- virtually every prognosticator expects the Lakers to emerge as the Western Conference champs once again and face off with either Cleveland or Orlando in the Finals.

Alas, Jackson has one advantage over all the commentators -- he's been watching the Lakers play every day. And of late, it would be hard for even the most wild-eyed optimist to conclude his team is in championship form.

Since the All-Star break, the Lakers are a modest 13-7. This sounds awesome if you're a Clippers or Warriors fan, but in Hollywood the bar is set a bit higher. Additionally, there have been precious few impressive wins along the way. The Lakers did manage to beat Phoenix and San Antonio on the road but have struggled to outlast much weaker opposition. Despite two games against Golden State and one each against Minnesota, Indiana, Washington, Sacramento, Philadelphia and Toronto, the Lakers have just one double-figure win since the All-Star break. One.

Last season, for comparison, they went 16-4 in the 20 games after the All-Star break and won seven by double figures, even though they were in a similar situation regarding Andrew Bynum's health.

In other words, although the names and faces are mostly the same, these Lakers aren't playing like last season's Lakers. They aren't going to get anywhere near the 2008-09 total of 65 wins, and they no longer own the top scoring margin in the West -- that would be Utah's property, because the Lakers have a piddling plus-2.65 margin since the All-Star break.

L.A.'s slide is happening while its competition is ramping up. Over the past quarter of the schedule, L.A. has the worst margin of the West's top eight. Ready for the really depressing news? Seven teams in the East are ahead of the Lakers, too.

http:///sports.espn.go.com/espn/gallery/enlargePhoto?id=5043689&story=5043199">http://sports.espn.go.com...043689&...idth=440,height=750,scrollbars=no,noresize'); return false;" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-100331#">
nba_u_jackson_200.jpg

Long shots to repeat? That's what Phil Jackson calls his team.

In other words, they look every bit like a team that's a long shot to win a championship. Wednesday's Playoff Odds give them only a 1-in-6 chance of coming out of the West. While one can argue the Playoff Odds might be a bit too democratic in spreading the probabilities around, it's notable that Utah grades out as much more likely to advance and that Phoenix and San Antonio are projected to have chances roughly equal to the Lakers'.

So what's gone wrong? Why can't L.A. play like the Lakers of a year ago or even the Lakers of the first half of this season?

Several factors intersect. Offensively, they just aren't good, and it's putting a ton of pressure on the defense to save the day. The Lakers are only 11th in offensive efficiency, and the attack has taken another small step back in the 20 games since the All-Star break.

With three highly productive starters, it's pretty obvious what the problem is -- they're basically playing with an open sore at point guard. Derek Fisher is a great guy and has earned all the rope he's been given, but we're 70 games into the season and he's shooting 37.9 percent with a 9.27 player efficiency rating, output that screams, "Replace me," from the hilltops. Unfortunately, backup Jordan Farmar hasn't been any better. The Lakers had a golden opportunity to trade Adam Morrison's expiring contract for backcourt help at the trade deadline and failed to pull the trigger. They might regret that move deeply come May.

Another issue, however, is that Kobe Bryant isn't producing at the level of the previous two seasons. This has been partly masked by his increased minutes -- he's playing 38.8 minutes per game compared to last season's 36.1 -- and his penchant for spectacular last-second shots. So his per-game numbers look fine, and he's making memorable plays. But on a per-minute basis, he hasn't been the same player. He's headed for his worst PER in a decade, with his turnover ratio in particular spiking noticeably from last season.

As for the team defense, that has slipped, too. In fact, lately L.A. has taken a bigger step back there than on offense. The Lakers were second in the league in defensive efficiency at the All-Star break, but have been just 10th-best since, dropping into a tie for fourth with Oklahoma City for the season overall.

Again, identifying the shortcoming doesn't take an advanced degree -- quick point guards have their way with this defense. In the past month, Jameer Nelson, Jonny Flynn, Stephen Curry, Aaron Brooks, Darren Collison, Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook all have put up numbers at the Lakers' expense, with L.A. either losing or barely hanging on for a win in each of those contests. The Lakers currently are projected to face either Westbrook or Tony Parker in Round 1.

Much of this isn't news, as the problems I've just enumerated have been known for some time. What's troubling, however, is that they seem to be getting worse rather than better as the Lakers approach the postseason.

Seeing the glass as half full, I can offer a couple of hopeful notes. First, perhaps no team is better at looking awful while still piling up wins. Last season's playoff run was an example -- through two and a half playoff rounds, all anyone could talk about was how uninspired the Lakers looked, right until the part where they won six out of seven in convincing fashion to shove aside the Nuggets and Magic.

Second, Lakers fans can exhale and note they won't face Paul or Brooks -- two players who have befuddled them for years -- in the playoffs. Most of the other point guards in the West playoffs are, in fact, nearly as old as Fisher, namely Steve Nash, Chauncey Billups, Andre Miller and Jason Kidd.

That said, I think some of Bryant's early-season heroics might have lulled management into a false sense of security. L.A.'s commanding lead in the Western Conference standings allowed it to think everything was fine, but under the surface the problems were clearly evident. The Lakers are first in the West because they've won a ton of close games at the end, but I don't think they're anywhere near as good as their record. To put it another way, it's great to rejoice over a last-second game winner over Sacramento or Toronto in front of the home fans -- but if teams like that are playing you to a draw for 47 minutes on your floor, that's a problem.

L.A.'s recent diet of Sacramentos and Washingtons is about to change dramatically, as it faces five stern tests in the next six games, beginning Wednesday in Atlanta. After that, the Lakers have home games against Utah and San Antonio, a trip to Denver, a scrimmage with Minnesota and finally a game against Portland back in L.A.

If those tests can't produce any better results, it's safe to say the Lakers' hopes of repeating are a long shot. Don't take it from me, though … take it from their coach.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

^How has Thabeet's D been this season? I only got to catch him and the Grizz a handful of times and the only game where the guy got any playing time was at the Kings game. He swatted the $$%% out of Beno's weak as floater
pimp.gif
it was on some D-Howard status
smh.gif
Anyways, during that game the guy could really play solid help D and man to man D. Honestly it doesnt look like his defense needs much help; but any help (especially from Mutumbo) will be
eek.gif
for the kid. His offensive game is weak a crap though, but that was already a given.
Sometimes he has trouble boxing out specifically off of FT's. Grabbing rebounds also hurts him at times. He can't never completely get both of his hands on the ball.

In terms of altering other teams shots and shot blocking, he definitely does that pretty well.

Of course it will take more discipline of timing his blocks better, that's all apart of the growing process. Alot of times he's jumping all over the place and falling over.
laugh.gif

But, there are games where you're
eek.gif
@ him, but then there are games when your
tired.gif
. All in all, he's been a better player since his D-League stint. The few starts he had after Gasol injury also gave him some confidence. I think a good off-season will do him great justice and he already lead the league in block shots per 48.

Back
Top Bottom