Offical Manny Pacquiao VS Oscar De La Hoya Thread. Dec 6th 6pm HBO PPV.

Originally Posted by c1o27

Unfortunately, I don't see our National Hero taking this one.. Regardless, LETS GO MANNY!!!

His Nike Logo is
pimp.gif

wassup c-lo!

Originally Posted by amishpimp27

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Just outta curiosity what are everyone's key to a Pacquaio victory tonight???

nerd.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Manny's one of my favorite fighters, but it's obvious that he wins because of his physical abilities for his size...at 130 and under, nobody could punch or take a punch like him with that speed and relentlessness...he's not a guy who depends on technical/boxing skills, but speed and power...with that in mind, the power has to be gone once ur fighting a guy who walks around more than 20 pounds heavier than u, and all he's left with is that speed/conditioning...Mayweather was able to beat him despite the size convincingly because he's a technician, but Manny's a brawler...

So realistically, only keys to the fight for Pacquiao is Speed and Endurance...if somehow Manny's punches can actually affect De La Hoya enough that he doesn't just walk through them, and he can keep punching and move in and out for 12 rounds while De La Hoya tires himself out or is too slow to keep up, he might have a chance at a decision....the other factor out there is that De La Hoya always chokes and loses in big fights (Trinidad, Mosley, Hopkins, Mayweather), we've all seen him get nervous and slow down while the fight slipped away from him, but this is such a mismatch it's hard to see him blowing this...Also, Manny is a southpaw and De La Hoya doesn't have a good straight right/right cross, so that could be a factor helping Manny to get inside...

But Manny has a very small chance...De La Hoya has the size/power/reach/boxing skills advantage, not to mention, Manny's chin hasen't even been tested at 135. He fought David Diaz at 135 one time and didn't even get touched...it remains to be seen if Manny can take a punch from a 135 lber, now he's going to fight a 154 lber in De La Hoya
tired.gif

Thats the way I see it

Oscar has to come forward the entire night and use his height and reach advantage...if he were just a little bit faster I'd be more confident in pickinghim but he ain't. If it were Paul Williams in there tonight and not Oscar it would be a guarantee lock victory but sadly it ain't Paul

Oscar moves like a damn mummy in the ring which should give Manny plenty of time to side to side him all night if thats his game plan

Is there any way to find out exactly what time this particular fight is happening? Is there an undercard?

oscar may possibly be the first fighter to make manny pay more the mistakes he makes in the ring. manny has always been a flawed fighter, but his athleticismand intangibles have always made up for what he lacked in technique. the uppercut, imo, can be a very big factor in this fight. manny still has the tendency tolean in and square up whenever throwing his left hand, but in previous bouts his arm length, hand speed, and fast legs have helped him escape the impendingcounter punches...his power alone even made some fighters hesitant to even try to engage such an open target. this will not be the case with oscar, as mannywill be giving up many of the physical advantages he had over barrera, morales and marquez. oscar's height, reach and timing can match what manny offers interms of speed as he'll have to lean in even more than he has in the past if he wants to land a punch on oscar's dome. oscar is also more likely tostand his ground with manny and throw his counter shots with confidence knowing that this will possibly be the lightest hitting opponent he's fought inyears (in terms of head to head matchup, not pound 4 pound), unlike the men in the lighter weights who had to worry about getting their heads knocked off ifthey tried to move on manny.

also, i feel people are getting too far ahead of themselves by assuming that manny will maintain all his attributes at this higher weight class. sure he lookslike a million bucks in training, and his physique mirrors that of a thicker, browner bruce lee, but come fight night we won't know how the extra weightwill affect his performance. don't be surprised if oscar happens to match manny in speed if it happens to get to the mid rounds cus oscar, even at thisstage of his career, is not a slouch in the hand speed department...add that to the extra height and length that oscar has, it may hinder (probably not negatecompletely) manny's ability to dart in and out of range when attempting to flurry. pacquiao's stamina and workrate (which many believe will be thedeciding factors in his victory) can also be compromised in this bout as we have no idea how he will react to the body punches of a true big man, nor if he canstill move around the ring throwing punches after having to bench-press oscar's weight constantly as the fight goes on. i've seen manny hurt and evenKO'd before in the lighter weights. marquez landed a counter that seriously hurt manny in their last bout, and oscar still has plenty of tools in hisarsenal to set up traps for the shorter man as he tries to close the distance, except the counters that oscar will land will be much more devastating.

in oscar's case, if there anything that substantial weight loss does to a fighter, it diminishes his stamina and the sturdiness of his legs (consequentlyleading to a decrease in punch resistance). look at what happened to chris byrd when he moved from heavyweight down to light heavyweight. one day he's ableto take flush punches from giant men like wladimir klitschko and jameel mccline, and flash forward a year later, he gets laid the eff out by a 170lber with asingle punch. now comparing chris byrd's dilemma to oscar's is a bit exaggerated, cus after all, oscar isn't losing THAT much weight. but at hisadvanced age for a fighter of his style, the weight loss can lead to us seeing a less powerful, less aggressive, more lethargic oscar de la hoya in the ring.an oscar de la hoya that may not get knocked the F out by a single punch from manny, but one that might find himself having to quit on his stool in round 10 or11 from exhaustion...or one that might find himself being pulled out of the fight by his corner/doctor due to cuts after his face has been slashed to piecesfrom repeated punches by the little man...but MOST LIKELY, one that isn't willing to pull the trigger for 3 minutes of every round allowing the filipino tooutwork him to a decision. i have no doubt in my mind that oscar can take manny's best shot, no doubt at all. it's just a question of whether or not hecan (or will be willing to) keep taking them all night long at this stage of his career IF manny really is the stud that everyone hopes he will be tonight.

another factor could possibly be oscar's supposed "shoulder injury". according to recent articles, oscar has had this problem for quite someyears now. this is oscar's reason as to why he stopped throwing the jab against floyd mayweather half way through the fight, after it had bewildered andeffectively halted floyd's offense in the early going. whether this is legit fact, or more BS drama to hype manny's chances and stimulate the gamblersis unknown, but it could cost oscar the fight if true. oscar still possesses a GREAT jab, that was able to bewilder even a master boxer like floyd mayweather.if floyd had trouble with oscar's jab with all his amazing defensive skills, i don't know how manny can have an easy time getting past it, if at all.if oscar, for some reason isn't able to merc manny in the early rounds and decides to go into safe mode and box his way to a decision (which he has beendoing more of now that he's older), it will be important for him to be able to keep that jab in manny's face for a full 12 rounds or he'll risklosing a decision.

the fact that manny is a complete stranger to this weight class and oscar is a prodigal son to it, makes this bout more interesting. being filipino myself,i'm gonna root for the home team. but my money will be on the golden boy, unfortunately, simply based on the fact that i've seen him at 147 before, andi've seen him take punches from hall of fame knockout punchers that are twice manny's size. all we know about manny fighting above 126 and 130 is thatit took him 9 full rounds of landing flush power-punches against a tailor made, slow moving, forward plodding, no defense-having, 135 lb david diaz to finallyput him away. don't get me wrong, manny looked spectacular in that victory, but the truth is that manny's power did not have the same impact on a 135lber...and david diaz wasn't even a big lightweight himself. at 126, manny was a legit 1-punch KO threat, probably the hardest puncher p4p at that time. at130 he still was, but depending on the fighter he fought, he was forced to use more volume to put away his opponents as opposed to single power-punches. at135, it took him all night to put away a moving punching bag. at 140...uhh guess we'll never know. at 147? guess we'll find out tonight, right?there's just something in the back of my head that keeps making me think of the miguel cotto vs antonio margarito bout. i honestly don't see mannybeing able to seriously hurt oscar, maybe annoy him, but not hurt him. if you were to compare margarito to de la hoya, the differences in this fight are thatthe big man won't have the better stamina, but the big man won't be nearly as slow, and the big man will actually possess the superior boxing skills.and like i said earlier, i am 100% positive oscar can take a single, hard punch from manny, as he has eaten punches from big punchers like trinidad, vargas,and mayorga and they didn't phase him. my opinion on manny taking a single power punch from oscar (in particular his legendary left hook) isn't nearlyas positive. i'm just hoping that oscar is so drained that manny can outwork the dude, but if there's any truth at all to those countdown episodes onhbo, it seems that oscar hasn't struggled too much to make 147.

Originally Posted by therenegade23

George Lopez is there too?

he was the emcee. i never found him funny, but he did a pretty good job.

made fun of mexicans and filipinos all night long.

the whole event starts at six, but around what time is the main fight gonna happen???

730? 8?

Originally Posted by Mistadobalina

oscar may possibly be the first fighter to make manny pay more the mistakes he makes in the ring. manny has always been a flawed fighter, but his athleticism and intangibles have always made up for what he lacked in technique. the uppercut, imo, can be a very big factor in this fight. manny still has the tendency to lean in and square up whenever throwing his left hand, but in previous bouts his arm length, hand speed, and fast legs have helped him escape the impending counter punches...his power alone even made some fighters hesitant to even try to engage such an open target. this will not be the case with oscar, as manny will be giving up many of the physical advantages he had over barrera, morales and marquez. oscar's height, reach and timing can match what manny offers in terms of speed as he'll have to lean in even more than he has in the past if he wants to land a punch on oscar's dome. oscar is also more likely to stand his ground with manny and throw his counter shots with confidence knowing that this will possibly be the lightest hitting opponent he's fought in years (in terms of head to head matchup, not pound 4 pound), unlike the men in the lighter weights who had to worry about getting their heads knocked off if they tried to move on manny.

also, i feel people are getting too far ahead of themselves by assuming that manny will maintain all his attributes at this higher weight class. sure he looks like a million bucks in training, and his physique mirrors that of a thicker, browner bruce lee, but come fight night we won't know how the extra weight will affect his performance. don't be surprised if oscar happens to match manny in speed if it happens to get to the mid rounds cus oscar, even at this stage of his career, is not a slouch in the hand speed department...add that to the extra height and length that oscar has, it may hinder (probably not negate completely) manny's ability to dart in and out of range when attempting to flurry. pacquiao's stamina and workrate (which many believe will be the deciding factors in his victory) can also be compromised in this bout as we have no idea how he will react to the body punches of a true big man, nor if he can still move around the ring throwing punches after having to bench-press oscar's weight constantly as the fight goes on. i've seen manny hurt and even KO'd before in the lighter weights. marquez landed a counter that seriously hurt manny in their last bout, and oscar still has plenty of tools in his arsenal to set up traps for the shorter man as he tries to close the distance, except the counters that oscar will land will be much more devastating.

in oscar's case, if there anything that substantial weight loss does to a fighter, it diminishes his stamina and the sturdiness of his legs (consequently leading to a decrease in punch resistance). look at what happened to chris byrd when he moved from heavyweight down to light heavyweight. one day he's able to take flush punches from giant men like wladimir klitschko and jameel mccline, and flash forward a year later, he gets laid the eff out by a 170lber with a single punch. now comparing chris byrd's dilemma to oscar's is a bit exaggerated, cus after all, oscar isn't losing THAT much weight. but at his advanced age for a fighter of his style, the weight loss can lead to us seeing a less powerful, less aggressive, more lethargic oscar de la hoya in the ring. an oscar de la hoya that may not get knocked the F out by a single punch from manny, but one that might find himself having to quit on his stool in round 10 or 11 from exhaustion...or one that might find himself being pulled out of the fight by his corner/doctor due to cuts after his face has been slashed to pieces from repeated punches by the little man...but MOST LIKELY, one that isn't willing to pull the trigger for 3 minutes of every round allowing the filipino to outwork him to a decision. i have no doubt in my mind that oscar can take manny's best shot, no doubt at all. it's just a question of whether or not he can (or will be willing to) keep taking them all night long at this stage of his career IF manny really is the stud that everyone hopes he will be tonight.

another factor could possibly be oscar's supposed "shoulder injury". according to recent articles, oscar has had this problem for quite some years now. this is oscar's reason as to why he stopped throwing the jab against floyd mayweather half way through the fight, after it had bewildered and effectively halted floyd's offense in the early going. whether this is legit fact, or more BS drama to hype manny's chances and stimulate the gamblers is unknown, but it could cost oscar the fight if true. oscar still possesses a GREAT jab, that was able to bewilder even a master boxer like floyd mayweather. if floyd had trouble with oscar's jab with all his amazing defensive skills, i don't know how manny can have an easy time getting past it, if at all. if oscar, for some reason isn't able to merc manny in the early rounds and decides to go into safe mode and box his way to a decision (which he has been doing more of now that he's older), it will be important for him to be able to keep that jab in manny's face for a full 12 rounds or he'll risk losing a decision.

the fact that manny is a complete stranger to this weight class and oscar is a prodigal son to it, makes this bout more interesting. being filipino myself, i'm gonna root for the home team. but my money will be on the golden boy, unfortunately, simply based on the fact that i've seen him at 147 before, and i've seen him take punches from hall of fame knockout punchers that are twice manny's size. all we know about manny fighting above 126 and 130 is that it took him 9 full rounds of landing flush power-punches against a tailor made, slow moving, forward plodding, no defense-having, 135 lb david diaz to finally put him away. don't get me wrong, manny looked spectacular in that victory, but the truth is that manny's power did not have the same impact on a 135 lber...and david diaz wasn't even a big lightweight himself. at 126, manny was a legit 1-punch KO threat, probably the hardest puncher p4p at that time. at 130 he still was, but depending on the fighter he fought, he was forced to use more volume to put away his opponents as opposed to single power-punches. at 135, it took him all night to put away a moving punching bag. at 140...uhh guess we'll never know. at 147? guess we'll find out tonight, right? there's just something in the back of my head that keeps making me think of the miguel cotto vs antonio margarito bout. i honestly don't see manny being able to seriously hurt oscar, maybe annoy him, but not hurt him. if you were to compare margarito to de la hoya, the differences in this fight are that the big man won't have the better stamina, but the big man won't be nearly as slow, and the big man will actually possess the superior boxing skills. and like i said earlier, i am 100% positive oscar can take a single, hard punch from manny, as he has eaten punches from big punchers like trinidad, vargas, and mayorga and they didn't phase him. my opinion on manny taking a single power punch from oscar (in particular his legendary left hook) isn't nearly as positive. i'm just hoping that oscar is so drained that manny can outwork the dude, but if there's any truth at all to those countdown episodes on hbo, it seems that oscar hasn't struggled too much to make 147.

are you $%#!!@# kidding me?

I still think this fight is a joke, but who knows what could happen. DLH might have another wack gameplan or might give away the latter rounds.

Anyone in NorCal find the Tecate rebate joint?

does anyone got an estimate of what time the main fight is gonna happen?

im not sure on how many prior fights there's gonna be.

'cause i gotta pick up my pops at SFO AT 6pm. then it takes another hour or so to get back home....

^ I would think anywhere between 7:30 or 8... there's two under card fights? So depending how those go..

Manny in 12....but De La Hoya gets 18 mill. for the fight in a losing cause.

Back
Top Bottom