Official 10' NFL Offseason Thread: CIN sign T.O. 1yr/2m

[h3]Source: Rolando McClain visits Dolphins [/h3]
Rolando McClain seemed like the obvious pick for the Dolphins at No. 12 in the first round when this offseason began. Then the Dolphins paid a mint for inside linebacker Karlos Dansby in free agency and everyone kinda, sorta dismissed the possibility for McClain.

The Dolphins apparently haven't dismissed the possibility.

A source tells me McClain was in town the past couple of days to visit with the Dolphins.

And while that doesn't mean the Dolphins will draft McClain, it obviously shows an interest in the guy. Contrary to what many of you believe, the Dolphins do not bring guys in for the sake of creating smokescreens.

Teams have a limited number of visits and this team doesn't waste those on players they don't like or don't want to know better. This team creates smokescreens by simply saying nothing, zero, nada, zilch, and letting speculation and poor reporting (I've been guilty) do their work.

McClain is believed to be the best inside linebacker in the draft. But for all his production and hype at Alabama, there are questions about him.

He is adequately fast, but not otherworldly as his 4.69 and 4.68 at the Alabama Pro Day attests. He did have a 35-inch vertical leap which is showing good hops for a 6-4 and 249-pound guy.

McClain revealed at his Pro Day he suffers from Crohn's Disease, an inflammatory disease of the intestines. McClain has said he's known of the disease since he was in ninth grade and treats it daily. I am told the Dolphins new about McClain's Crohn's illness before McClain admitted he had it.

A couple of points:

The Dolphins are obviously not ruling any good player out as a possibility at No. 12. McClain was productive at Alabama so he's obviously a good player.

If McClain is the pick, Channing Crowder could have a fight on his hands for his starting job and either Crowder or Reggie Torbor could find himself playing elsewhere in 2009.

That is, of course, a big if right now. McClain is visiting with a handful of other teams as well, most notably the New York Giants.

Bradford "bulked" up to 236 pounds and no one will bat an eye or ask a question. I don't blame the kid but I just love "steroid" hysteria. about 22 hours ago via TweetDeckJason Whitlock twitter
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

thats why he quit the shuttle runs and was falling all over the place runnign routes.

1.4 in the 1st 10 of his forty tho
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
he better hold a pro day the  remix

seriously a 11.1 broad and a 38 vert are too explosive to be runnin over 4.4

Adam_Schefter

Filed to ESPN: Texans signed LB DeMeco Ryans to a six-year, $48 million contract extension.

DeMeco Ryans' deal includes $21.75 million guaranteed and $26.3 million in the first three years of the contract. 9 minutes ago

laugh.gif
smh.gif
@ Espn only being able to rerun the 3 Jamarcus highlights while talking about him

Originally Posted by Statis22

Bradford "bulked" up to 236 pounds and no one will bat an eye or ask a question. I don't blame the kid but I just love "steroid" hysteria. about 22 hours ago via TweetDeckJason Whitlock twitter
laugh.gif
13 pound weight gain in 4-5 months isn't exactly eye opening, Jason. 

This makes me totally believe the stories of this dude strolling into games about 10 minutes before kick off...
laugh.gif

[h1]'Red Flags' Still Loom After Dez Bryant's Pro Day[/h1]
3/30/2010 5:15 PM ET By Chris Burke

dez-bryant-replace.jpg
Any coach or scout hoping to come to some definitive conclusion about Dez Bryant's NFL future will have to keep wondering -- possibly until Bryant ultimately steps on the field as a pro.

In fact, Bryant's pro-day workout at Oklahoma State may have added to the question marks swirling around the star wide receiver. Bryant posted a pair of 4.52 times in the 40-yard dash, sandwiched around a wind-hampered 4.68, all numbers that were slower than he hoped. He also checked in with a 38-inch vertical and an impressive 11-foot-1 broad jump, but failed to finish both a short-shuttle and three-cone drill, according to NFL.com.

The performance left NFL Network draft guru Mike Mayock "disappointed."

"I'm kind of conflicted," Mayock said. "I come into this workout, I've got him as my No. 3 best football player in the country, not No. 3 wide receiver ...

"I like the guy but I can't put him in Larry Fitzgerald's class ... Very similar numbers, but he was completely clean off the field. This kid didn't finish his short shuttle, didn't finish his three-cone. There are some red flags there."

Keep in mind that nobody's seen Bryant do anything of substance since a Sept. 19, 2009 game against Rice. Bryant grabbed nine catches for 162 yards and two TDs in that 41-24 Oklahoma State win, but shortly thereafter was suspended by the NCAA for the rest of his junior season for lying about a meeting he had with Deion Sanders.

Bryant also skipped workouts at February's combine because of a hamstring injury.

So everyone was eager to see what he'd do Tuesday. The mixed results -- especially the apparent lack of breakaway speed -- could keep Bryant as a mid- to low-first round prospect.

Take, for example, NFL Draft Scout's breakdown of Bryant's intangibles: No major character concerns, but questions abound about his consistency, maturity and work ethic. Suspension for lying to NCAA should not hurt his stock if he takes responsibility for his actions.

The site then lists Bryant's NFL player comparison as Cowboys wide receiver Roy Williams. That match fits size-wise (Bryant's 6-foot-2, 215 pounds; Williams 6-3, 215) and in their ability to make catches. But NFL teams have to be concerned that the similarities extend beyond that -- Williams continues to struggle with inconsistency and the mental aspects of the game.

Bryant still needs to prove that he's worthy of being a top pick. He didn't exactly do that Tuesday.

"He's got extremely strong hands, he can pluck the football. ... That's where he's most natural," Mayock said. "But there's a lot of questions. I've got to go back to the drawing board and put the tape back on."

laugh.gif
13 pounds doing nothing but training and prepping for one workout since late August = Steroid use...

[h3]Bryant looks athletic but raw  [/h3]
By Todd McShay and Steve Muench, Scouts Inc.

LUFKIN, Texas -- The pro day workout of Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant took place at Abe Martin Stadium here in Lufkin, hosted by Bryant's high school coach John Outlaw and attended by the likes of Seattle coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider, Packers coach Mike McCarthy and college scouting director John Dorsey, San Diego senior executive Randy Mueller, Pittsburgh GM Kevin Colbert, San Francisco coach Mike Singletary, Baltimore receivers coach John Hostler, a group from Oakland and at least one representative from 10 other teams.

The warm, sunny day was a perfect setting to show his wares, and on the positive side Bryant is in ridiculous shape and checked in at a shredded 6-foot-1½ and 224 pounds. He missed the majority of the 2009 season after being suspended for lying to NCAA investigators looking into his relationship with former NFL star Deion Sanders but Bryant has kept himself in peak physical condition and didn't slow down during drills.

He showed off his explosiveness with a 38-inch vertical jump and an 11-foot-1 broad jump, and his hands were on display when he made a couple of big-time catches during pass-catching drills.

NFL teams will leave lufkin with a 40-yard dash time somewhere in the mid 4.5-second range. I clocked him at 4.52 on his first attempt (with the wind) and 4.59 on his second (against wind). Bryant was asked to run a third time because of the discrepancy and I clocked that attempt (with the wind) at 4.50. The times are about what we expected, although a few team reps expressed some frustration with the erratic results that stemmed from Bryant's inconsistent starting technique and handheld stopwatches on a somewhat windy day.

His 225-pound bench press (14 repetitions) and three-cone drill (6.94 seconds) were also about what scouts expected, but Bryant's problems began during agility drills. He struggled with the short shuttle, almost as if he had never attempted one before, and needed four tries before completing the drill and recording a 4.46.

You have to like the determination he showed in finally getting it right but the fact that he quit on his fifth attempt is somewhat telling for a guy who carries some character baggage. Bryant did revisit the short shuttle after running routes and posted a final time in the 4.42 range, but one NFL personnel man in attendance told me Bryant's frustration and reaction to the adversity will definitely be taken into consideration.

During his pass-catching session Bryant ran routes of every variety and looked a bit raw, even struggling with his footing on comeback routes, though he did drop his weight well getting into and out of breaks and gave good effort even as he tired near the end of the workout.

In the end Bryant did nothing to hurt his standing as the top wide receiver on the board. No one was blown away by his showing but he is a little bigger and faster than No. 2 WR Arrelious Benn and has top-five physical talent. Bryant's stock will hold steady after this workout, and the question for NFL teams now becomes how high they are willing to take a prospect with some off-the-field issues.

Talent evaluators have to decide what kind of financial risk they are willing to make when taking on a player who is competitive and athletic but sometimes loses focus. However, enough teams seem to think Bryant is not a bad guy but simply the product of a tough life, and that with the right veteran leadership he could thrive the way Randy Moss did under the tutelage of Chris Carter in Minnesota.

Jacksonville might be a bit of a reach at No. 10 overall and it's doubtful the Broncos are willing to bring in another potential problem child at wide receiver with the No. 11 pick. Bryant is probably too rich for Miami at No. 12, but Seattle is a possibility at No. 14 given the sizable contingent the Seahawks sent to Lufkin.

Cincinnati picks at No. 21 and we all know the Bengals have no qualms about taking on players with character issues, so that looks like the floor for Bryant at this point. It will be interesting to see whether a team picking somewhere between Nos. 13 and 20 decides to snatch him up based on the value he would offer in that area, even if receiver is not a primary need.

No matter where he is taken Bryant has the potential to be an impact player because when he is focused on football he is the real deal and as good as it gets.
[h3]Other workouts[/h3]The pro day workouts of Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford and his teammates took center stage as the week began, but plenty of other prospects are showing off for NFL scouts and here's a look at some noteworthy results from the past few days:
Arizona TE Rob Gronkowski (6-62, 258) -- Gronkowski ran the 40-yard dash in the high 4.6-second range and posted a vertical jump of 33.4 inches at his pro day over the weekend. He did drop a couple of passes but also showed he can snatch the ball out of the air with his massive (10.6 inches) hands and showed he has the athletic ability to develop into a fluid route runner.

Gronkowski now looks to be in a dead heat with Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham -- who caught the ball well and cut sharply when running routes during Bradford's workout -- for the top spot among tight ends. Both are underclassmen who face durability questions after each missed the entire 2009 season, but based on their athleticism we expect one to come off the board in the first round and the other to last only a short time in the second round.

Northwestern DE Corey Wooton (6-6, 270) -- His 40 time in the mid-4.9s is not great, but Wooton's best fit is at defensive end in a base 3-4 scheme and he doesn't need great speed to develop into a starting 5-technique lineman in that front. He also has the frame and long arms (34.6 inches) to eventually excel in a two-gap scheme and could come off the board late in the second round, but Wooton is most likely a third-round pick.

Northwestern CB Sherrick McManis -- McManis did not work out because of a quadriceps injury, the same injury that cost him three games in 2009, and he did not take part in the combine because of hamstring and pectoral injuries. Durability has been an issue for McManis throughout his career and he has gone from a potential sixth-round pick to a seventh-rounder or rookie free agent.

[h1]Schedule release could be coming April 13[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2010 6:19 PM ET

We've recently tried to read the tea leaves regarding the release of the NFL schedule.  We attempted to factor any clues from the NFL Network official listings into our assessment.  The only problem?  The NFL Network listings available via NFL.com only go one week into the future.

Leave it to one of the NFL teams to take it one step farther.

Ryan Cardinal of Vikings.com (in some parallel universe, there's a Ryan Viking working for the Cardinals), has found via TVGuide.com that ESPN2 will air an "NFL Schedule Release Special" on Tuesday, April 13, at 7:00 p.m.

Cardinal also points out that, more immediately, the preseason schedule will be released on Wednesday at 3:00 p.m. ET.

It remains to be seen whether the league will announce in advance of April 13 the Week One prime-time games or the Thanksgiving games.  In past years, those contests were announced as part of the annual league meetings.  This year, the announcement was delayed by a day and then scuttled completely.

Dez's cleats aside... it SHOULD not hurt him to run a 4.5. His route running is wayyy more important. If a DB is on his hip and Dez sees the ball hes going to get it. There is nothing finesse about his game at all. I never thought he had real top end long speed but anyone who lets a 4.55 average hurt him is not doing their home work.

Former bball player - Arizona Forward Houston TE Fendi Onobun's pro day numbers: 6'6" 252 lbs 4.48 & 4.50 plus 11 ft broad jump Wow

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Former bball player - Arizona Forward Houston TE Fendi Onobun's pro day numbers: 6'6" 252 lbs 4.48 & 4.50 plus 11 ft broad jump Wow

Didnt he try out last year?

Back
Top Bottom