OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
Also,
The Daily News is horrible :smh:
New York deserves a better paper
You always got the Post

241.jpg

:rofl:

Don't smoke K2!

Supposedly Fentanyl is all the craze these days.

These millennials are all sorts of messed up :smh:
Word. What happened to the days of coke being the furthest you'd go?

- ATL drafted 3 wing players yesterday so Bazmore is most likey outta there. Wouldn't hesitate to give him 4/$60M.

- Charlotte traded for Bellineli so Courtney Lee will also be available. Only thing is he's older than Bazemore with less upside. 4/$40 maybe?

- Detroit is shopping Jodie Meeks. He's only making $6.5M& he expires after this season. I'd be trying hard to get him cause of his cheap contract & knockdown shooting.

Shams Charania Verified account  ‏@ShamsCharania · 1h1 hour ago
Duke's Marshall Plumlee has agreed to a guaranteed undrafted free-agent deal with the New York Knicks, league sources tell The Vertical.

Hm, how much does Gortat make this year? What does his contract look like?

gortat is making 12mil per. the wiz can have noah for 30mil per. he's not worth it. might as well trade gortat to su
Shams Charania Verified account  ‏@ShamsCharania · 1h1 hour ago
Duke's Marshall Plumlee has agreed to a guaranteed undrafted free-agent deal with the New York Knicks, league sources tell The Vertical.

he's not gonna make the roster

I'd take Gortat in a heartbeat. We don't really have anything to offer tho.

There's another Plumlee!? :lol:

I remember back in 08 I was hoping we would somehow draft Derrick Rose. This is weird seeing this happen.

I'll give him a chance. Seems like he wants to be here so that makes the transition easier.

Yeah it's definitely weird seeing him in blue & orange :lol:

You all know how i feel about the trade but i can't not root for him. Hopefully he plays 65-70 games & attracts some guys to NY.

I remember back in 08 I was hoping we would somehow draft Derrick Rose. This is weird seeing this happen.

I'll give him a chance. Seems like he wants to be here so that makes the transition easier.

I remember that draft show...Knick fans were pissed lol....another moment where we were hoping we get lucky

Last edited:
Rose's demeanor now reminds me of Starbury when he got over his mental hurdles and was ready and humble. Just a certain realness and openness.

That boy is gonna show out.

Always felt Melo should've chosen Chicago during free agency but ironically, Rose is going over there. Even better.

Rose
Bazemore/Crabbe/Lee
Durant
Melo
Porzingis

Don't even know if we have the cap room for this but do it Phil!!

I have an extremely optimistic feeling about KD. The front office waited several years for this opportunity to woo Durant and you know they are going all the **** in to get him in NY. This is the main reason why Jackson got hired with that fat salary. Bringing a chip to NY would be 10 times as huge as Bron getting the ring for Cleveland. Also being in the Eastern Conference your only real challenge would be Cleveland. I would call it a failure if he isn't able to finesse this

lets look at this objectively... KD has a great team if he stays in OKC which might be his best option but he also has a very tough road to the finals in the West... but in the East theres Lebron and thats it... thats already stiff competition but at least its a 2 team race between the cavs and us if he signs here... everyone keeps saying every other team is better than the Knicks like the Spurs, Warriors and OKC so why should he sign here? those teams are already good and adding KD would put them over the top but here the core would be a pretty formidable top 5 lineup with rose, no 2 guard yet, KD, melo and KP... thats a pretty good squad considering everyone stays healthy... its a long shot he signs here but it wouldnt be a bad choice is all im saying...

You know that Wizards offering Noah the max tweet was just because it's being reported that he may be a possibility in NY.

The feeling I have is that if he does come it will be on a small discount allowing us some flexibility to improve.

Didnt watch a lot of the Bulls last season but I do remember being at the Garden when we beat them late in the season in the 2nd game of those back to back Ws and he dropped 30 and I remember thinking how good he looked.

When it comes to superstar NBA players, I am pretty much a certified hater. Not many players in the league I can say I genuinely like outside of players I form allegiances with from the Knicks or elsewhere, especially dudes who play for teams I actively root for to fail like the Bulls, who have consistently outmanuvered us more than any other team of my lifetime. But I have always gotten a very real sense from Rose. He just has always seemed like a very no bull **** rare kind of NBA superstar who is very easy for me personally to root for. I got a lot of that sense from him in his interview today, although I am fully aware how deceiving those can be.

But idk, I liked this trade from the start and have only talked myself into it further over the past day or so. I get it that "Knicks fan being optimistic about Derrick Rose" is basically Exhibit A for Knicks fan delusion, but **** it I am cool with it.

My thought process is that we still have Melo, he isnt going anywhere. While we still have him it makes most sense for us, and just because we sort of owe it to Melo, to try and build a team that can contend. Obviously, the chances of building a contender while Melo is here are very slim, so you dont want to risk anything significant or mortgage our future in order to do so. But if you can bring in a guy like Rose who at least offers the kind of upside that can potentially help the Knicks contend (and will certainly be an upgrade over what we had at the point regardless), without risking too much of our future, I think its a solid gamble to take. Honestly this PG free agency class is weak. Maybe a couple of the free agents out there would be considered "safer" investments than Rose, in that there is less chance that they will suck or get hurt, but none of those players have any sort of chance at helping the Knicks contend in the near future, so why even bother? But at the same time, you cant go into another season with the PG situation that we have had.

Rose, to me, is a great compromise. He has the kind of upside unmatched by any free agent PG on the market outside of maybe Conley (who was never coming here). And honestly, I feel a lot better with giving Rose a one year shot to prove himself than I would giving Mike Conley a 4 year $120 million max deal and really being stuck with him. This way, we give Melo a chance to compete in the playoffs with a proven PG he almost left to play with. At the same time, if it doesnt work out, we can cut ties with him and probably move Melo out next summer as well and truly rebuild around Porzingis, a likely high lottery pick, and whatever we can coup from a Melo trade. But I do think we owe it to Melo and to us fans to give it a shot while we still have Melo here and can get Rose without mortgaging our future. Especially since we didnt have a draft pick this summer.

Honestly my whole philosophy with the Knicks the last couple of seasons has been to "aim for the bushes." Most of yall probably remember but last summer I was one of the biggest advocates in this thread for the Knicks to draft Porzingis before the draft. I did my research on him and I liked him and all that stuff but I was blown away by his upside. I knew that it might have been "safer" to take  Mudiay or Winslow or one of those guys, but with each one of them I saw a ceiling that wasnt going to bring this team into contention any time soon. And especially because I knew the Knicks didnt have a pick this year, I knew how important it was for the Knicks to capitalize on the worst season in franchise history by knocking the draft pick out of the park.

And that is what drew me to Porzingis. A large part of it was because unlike alot of other Knicks fans I researched him and kind of figured out he had the personality/swagger to flourish in NYC, unlike most of the typical Euro bust prospects, I especially liked the idea of how he would react to being Boo'd like a mad man on draft night and brought that up multiple times. But obviously what drew me to Porzingis the most was that I had no idea what his ceiling could be, and I liked that. Because the end game should always be to win a championship. I never tried to act like some kind of Porzingis expert who watched every single Seville game or some **** but I wanted the upside pick. I figured the Knicks werent close to being a contender anytime soon so **** it lets go out on a limb on this one and dive head first into crazy, because sometimes that is what it takes to work. Most people on this site and elsewhere wrote me off as crazy as the Knicks taking the high upside unknown Euro was the "classic Knicks" mistake, but that is looking like it will pay off for us.

So the more I think about Rose here, I know it could be a "classic Knicks" mistake. There is an opportunity to compare this transaction to SOOOO many previous blunders we have made. From McDyess to Marbury to Curry to Francis to TMac to Amare to ******* Bargnani, etc etc. I could certainly see the parallels. But maybe just this once things might work out better for us on the other side.

Listen the Knicks needed to upgrade at the point and there is little to no chance that doesnt happen, so that is an improvement right there. And I have secretly (not really secretly but I havent been posting in NT recently) been talking about trading RoLo since the last few months of the season. It was nothing against RoLo. I like him a lot. He had a very good season for us and was an excellent value signing who I was excited about from the day we signed him. But dating all the way back to last offseason before we even drafted Porzingis, I constantly wrote about how he needs to be a center. His true value, in today's small ball NBA, lies in being the franchise center. When we drafted him I didnt think "Euro stretch 4" like many others did, I thought "franchise center." I thought of Ewing more than I did Dirk.

And that is because of how important floor spacing and athleticism has become in the NBA today. Porzingis has the necessary athleticism to match up at the 4 and be fine, but he is a ******* matchup nightmare at the 5. A true stretch 5 the likes of which the NBA has never really seen. A ******* Tyson Chandler rim protector with Dirk's offensive game (He's not there yet in both areas, but im just talking about what I imagined, his upside). In the NBA today, centers can look like chicken legs Chandler and win DPOY/anchor championship defenses. So I was never really worried KP's "bulk." From the get-go I tossed that out as anti-Euro bias rearing its head in a different form. Because skinny *** American prospects come out all the time and you never hear about how they will get "manhandled" for being skinny teenagers. You need centers who can protect the rim from penetrating guards today more than you need centers who can bang bodies with post players.

But the more offensive versatility you can have out there, the better. So it's not like I necessarily thought that Robin Lopez would drag down Porzingis, the 2 paired well together last season and were basically a top 10 defense when they shared the floor even with revolving door 1+2 making up the backcourt. It is just that I always knew, from the start, that Porzingis needed to be a center because doing so makes the offense THAT much more lethal. I knew from the start that one day Porzingis would have to knock Robin Lopez out of the starting lineup to achieve his full potential. However, I still loved the RoLo signing because it was excellent value, KP needed him last year, and I assumed he would for longer. I assumed RoLo would be forced to move to the bench as a 30+ year old vet on an expiring contract, not after season #1.

But here we are. With the way Porzingis broke out, and with Jeff Hornacek's desire to push the tempo (something I know that we all have been pushing for for years), I have felt for months that RoLo had to go, despite the good season he had. Actually, I figured that his good season made it make even more sense to trade him, because with his production + desirable contract, I figured he was one of the few legitimate trade assets we had. I just honestly didnt think Phil would have the balls to trade him after only one year.

But that is what I am starting to love about this Rose trade. Everyone is talking about how we gave up one need for another, but I dont look at it that way. I do think we need a center to come off the bench (and I am a huge Noah fan if that is the direction we go to come off the bench and bring his tenacity/leadership with him, NY would love him, but he cant log starter's minutes anymore which honestly makes him all the more perfect IMO), but I think it's time for Porzingis to take over as the starter. And adding a healthy Rose to the mix makes the offense potentially even more potent. We would see a much more versatile unit playing a faster more exciting pace of basketball and it gives us a ton more flexability in what we can do moving forward with the rest of the roster spots.

But I think that if Rose is healthy, he is EXACTLY the kind of PG we should be targeting, which is why I support this calculated risk the more I think about it/talk myself into it. Everyone is cracking jokes like "Will he accept being a 3rd option" "Will him and Melo be able to share the ball, him and Butler couldnt do that" etc etc. But I think a ball dominating attacking lead guard like Rose is exactly the kind of player we need to fit with Melo/Porzingis. We all know Horny loves his pick and rolls and ran his offense through PGs attacking the hoop with floor spacers all around in Phoenix. If Rose is healthy, that is what this team can be... on steroids.

The thought of Rose running pick and rolls with center Porzingis, no Robin Lopez in the paint bringing in help defense, makes me absolutely giddy. It might be a fantasy because Rose may never be healthy, but if he can be, IMO this is the perfect opportunity for him to shine. Because the Knicks can actually make him the primary ball handler/decision maker and be better for it. Rose attacking the hoop with his normal abandon would open up things for the entire offense. You got Porzingis coming off screens, just as dangerous around the basket for lobs as he is as a pick and pop threat, obviously a better option than Channing Frye ever was. And we move Melo back to the stretch 4 we all know he is better at and keep him in more of a catch and shoot role. The Rose/Porzingis pick and rolls will draw defenders away fro Melo making it a lot easier for him to get his shot off, and if he can continue attacking the hoop and looking for his teammates off the dribble and in the post like he did last season, that adds a whole other dimension to the offense. Melo has proven in recent years that he is not the iso player he often gets stereotyped as. It is true, that due to lacking PG production, Melo has often been forced into playing iso ball even in recent seasons. But Melo wants to win and will adjust his game to do so. He did so in 2013 as a stretch 4 who operated mostly in catch and shoot scenarios and he did so as well last year with his phenomenal passing and leadership. This year, alongside an attacking PG like Rose, he would be asked to take on a little bit of a combination of those 2 seasons. Working as a catch and shoot stretch 4 off of Rose/KP pick and rolls, who is free to operate at the point of attack as opposed to being handed the ball at the top of the 3 point line in a double team because nobody is able to draw defenders off him; as well as adding an entirely new dimension to the Knicks offense by breaking down the defense and hitting open teammates and making quick decisions out of the half court triangle.

The best part about it is that both Melo and KP can also shoot and create off the dribble, unlike any of the big men Horny had to work with in Phoenix. But Rose's attacking is what draws the defense inside and sets things up for Melo and Kp. It is exactly what we were missing last year when we were forced to watch Calderon never ever move inside the 3 point line and RoLo, bless his goofy heart, eating up space in the low post.

To fill the other 2 starters you look for a 2 guard who can shoot, I love the idea of Evan Fournier who is a great shooter, can handle the ball, is 6'7 and only 23. and instead of looking for another traditional big to start, we can look for another combo forward who is athletic and can shoot to play the other forward spot alongside Melo. Ideally somebody who is a good defender. Nicholas Batum would IMO be a perfect fit but he is probably a long shot. But there are other young players who we might be able to get at good value in this role like potentially Terrence Jones, maybe even Harrison Barnes if he isnt grossly overpaid like he probably would be. **** even KD could fill this role in this lineup and add a ridiculous amount of versatility if by some miracle we are able to sign him. Then we target a veteran big like Noah or Pau to help Porzingis off the bench especially with tougher matchups against bigger players with KOQ and Hernangomez also available to help when called upon (Im also a huge advocate for trying to bring back David Lee and/or Jamal Crawford to come off the bench... but that is in large part due to my sentimentality).

IMO if the Knicks utilize the same kind of fast break/pick and roll heavy/small ball style offense Horny had success with on the Suns with the Knicks personnel and a healthy Rose, you can have a team that can potentially make some noise in a weak Eastern Conference with a couple of solid free agent signings to round out the roster. That is EXACTLY the kind of offense that suits Melo and Porzingis best right now. It is probably a long shot that Rose plays well enough for this to happen, but **** it we might as well give it a shot.

To me, the only real risk here is losing Jerian Grant and watching him become a legit starting PG and Rose fizzles out after one year, but when you are in the position the Knicks are in right now, I dont think it is the worst idea to aim for the bushes on a calculated risk like this when the opportunity presents itself.

Sorry for the long *** post fellas. Ive been holding that one in for awhile.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom