OFFICIAL 2009 BOSTON RED SOX SEASON THREAD - (95-67) - Red Sox vs Angels - ALDS - Series 0-0

ugh...pathetic top half of the 1st
sick.gif

Notes on LaRoche and Halladay

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 | Print Entry

On the Adam LaRoche deal: The Red Sox have been searching for ways to upgrade their sliding offense for weeks. This deal has been on the table for three weeks, and after losing their fourth straight game on Tuesday and declining to trade Clay Buchholz for Victor Martinez, Theo Epstein took LaRoche.
To read Peter's take on why the deal went down on Wednesday, as well as the latest on the Dodgers' pursuit of Roy Halladay, you must be an ESPN Insider.
in.gif

The Red Sox will work LaRoche, Mike Lowell and David Ortiz into the first-base, DH and third-base spots, with Kevin Youkilis moving back and forth between first and third. Boston's team OPS has declined every month this season, and in the past four years, LaRoche's second-half OPS is .938.

The Red Sox felt they had to move Wednesday because the Pirates had a deal to send LaRoche to another team in exchange for a better package than Argenis Diaz and Hunter Strickland, but Boston was willing to take on LaRoche's entire salary. This trade will not preclude Epstein's pursuit of an impact player such as Martinez, Adrian Gonzalez or others.

The latest on Roy Halladay: Dodgers assistant GM Logan White has been in Toronto for the past two series, and L.A. is still hoping to stay in the Halladay sweepstakes. Contrary to reports from other teams, the Dodgers will take Halladay's contract, and they have several Class A and Double-A prospects to trade -- shortstop Dee Gordon (Tom's son), 3B Josh Bell, OF-1B Andrew Lambo and OF Ethan Martin.

There are two problems with a Halladay-to-L.A. scenario: The Dodgers do not have top pitching prospects on the Double- or Triple-A level, and no Toronto scout has been in watching the Dodgers' major league team in the past week. Still, one executive on Wednesday said, "keep your eye on the Dodgers." L.A. has also been looking at Jays relievers, such as Jason Frasor.

Thanks Deadset.

This deal has been on the table for three weeks, and after losing their fourth straight game on Tuesday and declining to trade Clay Buchholz for Victor Martinez, Theo Epstein took LaRoche.
He means Buchholz plus other prospects, right? Please don't tell me Theo turned down Vic for Clay straight up.

nick green
pimp.gif

oh man, it's gotta be other prospects...i doubt the indians would have agreed to that...but you never know
laugh.gif

Yeah, no way in hell it can be straight up.
laugh.gif

eek.gif
at that kid's throw from center on Nick Green's HR. Got it backto the infield.

im telling you, man...not even worth stressin' right now. it's the summer slide. july kills us. it's like we fall off to gear up for the final twomonths. i don't get it.

Nah just do it. Get Doc and ill live with Buckholtz blowing up. Wait................... IDK

Edit: If we got Doc I could live with it. Doc is already a beast and he is in our division so we know hes good even against arguably the best division inbaseball. Just pull the trigger

Congrats Deadset and AIF and JD .....

I think 2 records were set today...

1) Most pages in 1 day in this thread
2) Most guest appearances in 1 day

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jrp44

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

champagne.jpg

god runners are walking to second...hold on the damn runners
mad.gif

and the rays are winning...they're closing the gap now
laugh.gif

F
M
L

Originally Posted by jrp44

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Im gonna use this until it gets old to me.

P.S. I dont see that happening anytime soon.
roll.gif

I love the kid in the front seats reaction.

Yo, I always hated that little kid with the glasses. He was in Little Giants and some other movie. I just get upset when I see his face.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Yo, I always hated that little kid with the glasses. He was in Little Giants and some other movie. I just get upset when I see his face.
he's like a mini rick moranis

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

He was in Jack, I think?? That Robin Williams movie... Can't stand the kid either
roll.gif

We cant even cover 3 runs right now. Thats embarrasing. Hopefully like the start of the season we go on a nice run after our first day off. We started theseason like ++*@ too, so lets see if we can get it together against Baltimore. Yea this ones not over yet but it might as well be, we cant even get people onbase right now

^ Saved.

I came into S&T with the $*# look on my face when I saw this thread jumped 5 pages in one day
laugh.gif

I think LaRoche is a decent pick up if Lowell is done. And Duncan may surprise. He may come up in September and do a Shelly impression. You never know.

Back
Top Bottom