OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

So he can leave after 1 year? In that case they should give him 20 mil the first year then 25 the 2nd year. He's gonna bounce after 1 year. He'll be inpinstripes in 2010

Dodgers have shown interest in Pedro .... i really wanna see how he does in the WBC.

sign him & a lefty reliever (beimel or reyes)

eek.gif

I really dont understand the problem with Manny. Obviously (
laugh.gif
) Id rather the Dodgers not sign him, but this long drawn out contract negotiations baffle me.IMO, the Dodgers or the Giants (or anyone for that matter) should do whatever it takes to sign Manny Ramirez......its Manny freakin Ramirez!!! All he has donefor his ENTIRE career is mash and win.

Dont understand why he been pursued harder by the Dodgers or the Giants. To me, it makes or breaks the division for either team.

i mean, i really tip my hat off to ned & co on how they've played this whole situation.

boras overplayed his hand (with basically most of his clients) but none more than Manny, the market wasnt calling for him to get a long term deal at over$100M. Once the season was over, most of us, wanted manny signed at whatever cost - so once the first 2yr 45M surfaced we all
indifferent.gif
at the offer ... but i meanreally, where was the other offers at?

it was just boras hyping up his client (as he should, saying other teams are interested), but thats when the dodgers took that 2yr offer off and offered him a1yr 25M.

in the end, it really comes down to Manny ... to put his ego aside and suck it up and play for a bigger contract when the market can give it to him.

& to be honest, i dont think the giants are that serious in signing manny - i dont think they want to spend the $ and you guys got a lot of young kids thatshould be ready to take over (pablo sandoval is gonna beast).

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Question, i'm gonna be ordering my Mexico jersey soon. Should I get it personalized? If I do i'm thinking either AGonzalez, Vinny or Fernando (since he's a coach)
A jersey looks so much better with w/ a name & number. Fernando easy.

Plus, the stadium seats could use some Fernando jerseys that are actually authentic.

^I agree with you to an extent. I dont think that Manny was ever on the Giants radar at first. Their plan was to not spend for an outfielder and play the youngguys. But its not everyday that a hitter of his caliber falls into their laps (sort of). I think that since they found out they had a shot at him, theirinterest rose. But they still felt that if Manny agreed to "their" terms, then thats when they would jump at him.

Which is where MY problem lies. Why is there not a more of a sense of urgency to sign him on either of their behalfs. Hell, why arent the Angels still in themix? I heard their gm say that they signed Juan Rivera and are content with him.....Juan Rivera? Really? You are content with THAT guy?

I know you understand my point bright, and I understand yours. I just dont see why there isnt a bigger market for one of the best hitters in baseball for overthe last decade, who has shown ZERO signs of slowing down.

yeah, i get cha dland.

but you might forget, this season is the season of bargains (with the exception of the yankees) ... angels got abreu at a 1yr 5M, dunn signed for cheap, hudsonsigned for cheap.

with manny coming out and saying "i want a long term & over $100M" deal doesnt suit well with some owners, and factor in how he "quit"on boston - some owners just dont wanna take the plunge.

but this is L.A we live off drama, we're fine with Manny being Manny.

Originally Posted by THE BLUE CAPE

Question, i'm gonna be ordering my Mexico jersey soon. Should I get it personalized? If I do i'm thinking either AGonzalez, Vinny or Fernando (since he's a coach)
A jersey looks so much better with w/ a name & number. Fernando easy.

Plus, the stadium seats could use some Fernando jerseys that are actually authentic.
Trust, I know EXACTLY what you mean dude
laugh.gif
smh.gif

I've got mine I got as a Birthday present summer 04 @ the top of the park store (bought a blank in the shop and paid for the customization), but I think Igotta get it re-lettered because mom threw it in the wash and dryer, stitching looks off now
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

^I agree with you to an extent. I dont think that Manny was ever on the Giants radar at first. Their plan was to not spend for an outfielder and play the young guys. But its not everyday that a hitter of his caliber falls into their laps (sort of). I think that since they found out they had a shot at him, their interest rose. But they still felt that if Manny agreed to "their" terms, then thats when they would jump at him.

Which is where MY problem lies. Why is there not a more of a sense of urgency to sign him on either of their behalfs. Hell, why arent the Angels still in the mix? I heard their gm say that they signed Juan Rivera and are content with him.....Juan Rivera? Really? You are content with THAT guy?

I know you understand my point bright, and I understand yours. I just dont see why there isnt a bigger market for one of the best hitters in baseball for over the last decade, who has shown ZERO signs of slowing down.
There is no urgency because the Dodgers knew the market was going to be small for Manny because of the money he was demanding. Then the bigmarket teams started falling one by one. The Yankees could have gone after Manny, but after spending on the big three, it wouldn't have been smart to handout another $100 million dollar contract.

The Mets have a need, but they are already tapped out at $140 million +, and remember they are paying two high paid closers. The Angels already have too manyhigh paid, and aging outfielders with Vladimir Guerrero and Gary Mathews Jr. They finally want to give Juan Rivera a full time shot. It was either Teixeiraor bust for them since a lot of their pitchers are going to get extensions soon (Ervin Santana just got his, Lackey is next). They signed Bobby Abreu at a lowcost.

The Phillies are already tapped out as well after resigning and handing out extensions to most of the guys that brought home the World Series. The Red Sox, noexplanation necessary.

There was never really a market for Manny, from day one, I was kind of harsh in the Off Season thread when people where saying the 2 year $45 million offer was"insulting". As everyone saw the market didn't quite pan out as people expected, especially when the Yanks where done bidding againstthemselves.

Boras tried to get interest in his client, but he failed. Everyone knows it. On top of that, Manny has a lot of question marks in terms of character. Ienjoyed August through October, but when a team is handing out nearly $23 million a year and still has to worry whether that player will be "happy"with that deal,
grin.gif
, it kind of makes you think.

He is probably one of the best hitters of our generation, and the Red Sox where practically giving him away. There is a reason for that.

Would the Mets like to have Manny instead of Murphy/Tatis?
Would the Angels like to have Manny instead of Rivera/Abreu?

It would be foolish to say no. However, if a bidding war started, would they want Manny for 4-5 years for $100 million. Then the answer becomes, "We aregood with what we have".

but this is L.A we live off drama, we're fine with Manny being Manny.
There should be a disclaimer with that comment. As long as he produces fans will like Manny being Manny. Once that stops....well all I got tosay is: Andruw Jones, Darryl Strawberry, Eric Davis, etc. Once they flamed out and the honeymoon period ended, Dodger fans pounced on them.

and aging outfielders with Vladimir Guerrero and Gary Mathews Jr.
+ Torri Hunter
but this is L.A we live off drama, we're fine with Manny being Manny*.
There should be a disclaimer with that comment. As long as he produces fans will like Manny being Manny. Once that stops....well all I got to say is: Andruw Jones, Darryl Strawberry, Eric Davis, etc. Once they flamed out and the honeymoon period ended, Dodger fans pounced on them.
Yeah, my bad
laugh.gif

*As long as he produces

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

There should be a disclaimer with that comment. As long as he produces fans will like Manny being Manny. Once that stops....well all I got to say is: Andruw Jones, Darryl Strawberry, Eric Davis, etc. Once they flamed out and the honeymoon period ended, Dodger fans pounced on them.

eyes.gif

The Angels already have too many high paid, and aging outfielders with Vladimir Guerrero and Gary Mathews Jr. (and Hunter) They finally want to give Juan Rivera a full time shot. It was either Teixeira or bust for them since a lot of their pitchers are going to get extensions soon (Ervin Santana just got his, Lackey is next). They signed Bobby Abreu at a low cost.

Im not really following your arguments here here. First, IMO the fact that the Angels already have aging outfielders even provides more of a reason they shouldhave gone after him. These players only have a few years left to win a championship. As every year passes, the window for these great players closes more. Sowhy not load the team up now and try to win now? And you say it was Teixeira or bust for them BECAUSE they have a lot of other pitchers due for extensions? Howdoes that make sense? Teixiera commands more money than Manny does....so how is it that because they missed out on Tex, their pitchers due for contractsinhibits their ability to sign Manny? If they were worried they wouldnt have had money for their pitchers, they wouldnt have tried to throw a boatload of cashat Tex.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

eyes.gif

smokin.gif

Ironman is right though
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Dland, i understand in what youre sayin on wanting to "win" now.

but in reality, the angels were never really interested in manny.

lets look at their OF contracts:

Torri Hunter 5yr-$90M
GMJ 5yr-$50
Vlad 5yr-$70 (player option yr)
Juan Rivera 3yr-$13M
Bobby Abreu 1yr-$5M

i dont see how they can factor in a player like manny with the money he commands, when you look at their OFs contracts theyre pretty much locked up (with theexception of vlad, who will be extended). Factor in a DH in the AL theyre more than capable of using the players they have.

a reason why the angels name came up (imo), is because we're a freeway away, and arty will do anything to try and compete with the real los angeles -anything he can do to take some of our fanbase and make that into $$$ is a positive in his part. but, when it came down to it ... he was handcuffed by all theguys they already signed.

562, I think it would be less clutter to post links to long articles, since big Dodgers.com articles will just clutter this thread. Just a suggestion, if people like that, then they could stay,
laugh.gif

i actually like the articles here cuz i hate click on links and going on diff pages and i just feel that adds more clutter/ pop ups. + when im onmy phone at school, it s a lot easier to read
ohwell.gif

did you forget gonzalez is a padre!?
devil.gif
mad.gif

i just ordered mine last week and got it personalized with my own last name
pimp.gif
. they sell the gonzalez online so theres no need to customize that. theres various stores online that sell the blank, gonzalez, osorio and thecustomized. theres some 25 off $100 coupon for sports authority(google it)....but customized take 2-3 weeks, so you may wanna hurry

the reason there is a "manny being manny" is cuz all hes done his whole career is produce. let blake de witt trying some manny beingmanny antics and see what happens to his !%%
laugh.gif

you can pretty much do whatever the @+%! you want if you put up numbers....and that goes for any sport. all you'll get is a slap on the wrist (most of thetime)

and i still think they should have offered the same deal but $20 mil first year, and $25 the second year with the player option. at $20 mil for the 2nd year ihave a big feeling he's just gonna tear it up again this year and play for the new contract....then bounce
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

The Angels already have too many high paid, and aging outfielders with Vladimir Guerrero and Gary Mathews Jr. (and Hunter) They finally want to give Juan Rivera a full time shot. It was either Teixeira or bust for them since a lot of their pitchers are going to get extensions soon (Ervin Santana just got his, Lackey is next). They signed Bobby Abreu at a low cost.

Im not really following your arguments here here. First, IMO the fact that the Angels already have aging outfielders even provides more of a reason they should have gone after him. These players only have a few years left to win a championship. As every year passes, the window for these great players closes more. So why not load the team up now and try to win now? And you say it was Teixeira or bust for them BECAUSE they have a lot of other pitchers due for extensions? How does that make sense? Teixiera commands more money than Manny does....so how is it that because they missed out on Tex, their pitchers due for contracts inhibits their ability to sign Manny? If they were worried they wouldnt have had money for their pitchers, they wouldnt have tried to throw a boatload of cash at Tex.

I didn't mention Torrii Hunter because I still think he has about two years left before age creeps in. However, for arguments sake, lets assume that theAngels were aggressive and signed Manny to a 3 year, $70 million deal.

You have Torrii Hunter who is still owed 4 years and about $72 million.
You have Gary Mathews who is still owed 3 years and about $33 million.
You have Vladimir, who is in the final year of his deal at $15 million.
Hypothetically speaking you have Manny with 3 years and $70 million.

Keep in mind someone has to be the DH, and both Manny and Vlad don't want to be DH's. Despite their declining skills, they have too much pride to dothat.

RF Vlad
CF Hunter
LF Manny
DH Mathews

In 2007-8 it would have been
eek.gif
, not so much now.

In 2009, you have $65.5 million invested in a terrible defensive outfield and a disgruntled DH.

It just doesn't make sense.

MrJ,

I know I know, but deep down I've got some downlow love for SD, and the fact he's repping the country and not the madres that I can look past it
laugh.gif

Question though, does sports authority do legit customization? Like, authentic lettering? I mean I dont wanna spend so much on an authentic and get footlockerquality *@%+ lettering

Originally Posted by bright nikes

^if he does bounce, isn't that the year Matt Holiday is a FA?

nerd.gif
after the recent horrible contracts the dodgers have signed (schmidt, jones, pierre) i think they are still a bit scared to signsomebody again and they dont pan out. so i dont seem them offering a long term deal. if the economy is the way it is, holloday will sign for a year or 2...butif it starts picking up....he'll get a 5+ year deal imo

MrJ,

I know I know, but deep down I've got some downlow love for SD, and the fact he's repping the country and not the madres that I can look past it
laugh.gif

Question though, does sports authority do legit customization? Like, authentic lettering? I mean I dont wanna spend so much on an authentic and get footlocker quality *@%+ lettering
%+$! the padres!! you know better! cabron!
laugh.gif

they dont do it. i know its like....mlb that does it. they just offer the item/service. just how eastbay does customomizing jerseys. they pass it on to mlb whotakes care of it. they have the same jerseys on mlb.com, sportsauthority.com, d!ckssportinggoods, cbssports....and its all the same @#%#. the reason imentioned sports authority is cuz they have a few coupons floating around. theres people on ebay selling $25 off coupon codes for like $1. with that coupon youcan get the customized for less than $90 shipped (which is the price for the regular mexico jersey)

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

theres some 25 off $100 coupon for sports authority(google it)....but customized take 2-3 weeks, so you may wanna hurry

The code is TSAR31. It didn't work for me. But, TSAFEBT20 is 20% off and that worked but with shipping it's basically like 10% off. I saw thejerseys at Fannz and maybe I'll pick one up this weekend. What I really liked though were the jackets.. dark green with white lettering, full zipper- different than the ones online.

As for Los Doyers... when's the first KCal telecast? Vin
pimp.gif

i used tsar28 last week and it worked. i just had to add something to the order to make it 100 since the jersey is 99.99 but i found something that was like 50cents

Back
Top Bottom