OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by CP1708

I'll flip the @#$% out if Battier is a Celtic. God damn them.

i dont get why the lakers are not trying to baller block the celtics... you got both rip hamilton and battier on the celtics radar when the lakers have brown and blake as the back up back court
sick.gif

barnes is coming back but him and odom are the only 2 guys on the bench worth a damn... joe smith is glued to the bench. ratliff is just an old broken man. luke walton is luke walton. brown is just trash. blake is scared to shoot even if its an open lay up. character is too small and ebanks doesnt get enough playing time to even see if he is worth a damn.

hell lets trade anybody not named odom and barnes from the bench. damn it....get $#*@*#@ aaron brooks....shane battier........rip hamilton. ANYBODY besides blake and brown....

the number of laker fans who like shannon brown  digust me
sick.gif
 its like a nation of jdiddys!  

Like Miami, right?

miami got a GOOD %@! squad with the little they had. dont let the injuries fool you. sure arroyo is glittered trash on a stick but haslem is injured. they got eddie house and mike miller, 3 point champ james jones, big puz Z, and hey that one guy mavs fans overrated for the longest, erick dampier.

im sorry i hate to sound like im bashing the mavs fans but yea every year yall over hype one of your players. i still remember the dead serious Devean George appreciation post
laugh.gif

but yea and miami is gonna have the mle nextyear to play around with too right?

Matt Barnes is trash, Lakers need to make a move for his sorry, no offense having ^%$ immediately

Originally Posted by NobleKane

i dont get why the lakers are not trying to baller block the celtics... you got both rip hamilton and battier on the celtics radar when the lakers have brown and blake as the back up back court
sick.gif

barnes is coming back but him and odom are the only 2 guys on the bench worth a damn... joe smith is glued to the bench. ratliff is just an old broken man. luke walton is luke walton. brown is just trash. blake is scared to shoot even if its an open lay up. character is too small and ebanks doesnt get enough playing time to even see if he is worth a damn.

hell lets trade anybody not named odom and barnes from the bench. damn it....get $#*@*#@ aaron brooks....shane battier........rip hamilton. ANYBODY besides blake and brown....

the number of laker fans who like shannon brown  digust me
sick.gif
 its like a nation of jdiddys!  

Like Miami, right?

miami got a GOOD %@! squad with the little they had. dont let the injuries fool you. sure arroyo is glittered trash on a stick but haslem is injured. they got eddie house and mike miller, 3 point champ james jones, big puz Z, and hey that one guy mavs fans overrated for the longest, erick dampier.

im sorry i hate to sound like im bashing the mavs fans but yea every year yall over hype one of your players. i still remember the dead serious Devean George appreciation post
laugh.gif

but yea and miami is gonna have the mle nextyear to play around with too right?

Matt Barnes is trash, Lakers need to make a move for his sorry, no offense having ^%$ immediately

They better trade Jermaine for Battier he will provide nothing for the C's.

They better trade Jermaine for Battier he will provide nothing for the C's.

sooo denver really took that dog %@*# offer from the knicks?

I would call it the Gasol trade part 2 but the knicks will never win anything so it wont be that bad

I would call it the Gasol trade part 2 but the knicks will never win anything so it wont be that bad

Originally Posted by YEEUPP

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Nene
Martin
Chandler
Smith
Lawson

Gallinari, Felton, Afflalo, Harrington, Bird, Mozgov, Forbes

I say they would probably win in a series against the Knicks.

Scoring to go around. Lawson emerges. Too deep. Too big. New York is even worse defensively.
Now that's some depth.
This was a VERY good trade for Denver...  they shouldnt trade any of them to the Nets for picks.. Just keep those players
Agreed. Denver definitely has size and depth to still compete with anyone. Chandler should flourish as long as Denver commits to finally getting rid of JR. Will be interesting to see what happens between Gallo and Harrington after Al's comments earlier this year.
nerd.gif

edit:
My bad. Al actually was criticizing D'Antoni's preferential treatment of Gallinari.

But Harrington also suggested the organization may have createdtension in the locker room in its attempts to market Gallinari as astar. Harrington revealed that there was some resentment in the lockerroom toward Gallinari, whom some players felt is a favorite ofD'Antoni. Harrington added that Gallinari's team-first mentality madehim a respected player among the veterans.
"He's definitelygetting a fair opportunity to be what they want him to be," Harringtonsaid. "Hopefully he'll accomplish that. I'm a big fan of Gallo. I was aguy that got guys off him in the locker room. Everybody felt that way.It was tough on him. He wasn't asking (to be treated like a star), theygave it to them. To his credit he never got a big head about it. Ialways pulled for him. I hope he does become what they want him tobecome.

Originally Posted by YEEUPP

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Nene
Martin
Chandler
Smith
Lawson

Gallinari, Felton, Afflalo, Harrington, Bird, Mozgov, Forbes

I say they would probably win in a series against the Knicks.

Scoring to go around. Lawson emerges. Too deep. Too big. New York is even worse defensively.
Now that's some depth.
This was a VERY good trade for Denver...  they shouldnt trade any of them to the Nets for picks.. Just keep those players
Agreed. Denver definitely has size and depth to still compete with anyone. Chandler should flourish as long as Denver commits to finally getting rid of JR. Will be interesting to see what happens between Gallo and Harrington after Al's comments earlier this year.
nerd.gif

edit:
My bad. Al actually was criticizing D'Antoni's preferential treatment of Gallinari.

But Harrington also suggested the organization may have createdtension in the locker room in its attempts to market Gallinari as astar. Harrington revealed that there was some resentment in the lockerroom toward Gallinari, whom some players felt is a favorite ofD'Antoni. Harrington added that Gallinari's team-first mentality madehim a respected player among the veterans.
"He's definitelygetting a fair opportunity to be what they want him to be," Harringtonsaid. "Hopefully he'll accomplish that. I'm a big fan of Gallo. I was aguy that got guys off him in the locker room. Everybody felt that way.It was tough on him. He wasn't asking (to be treated like a star), theygave it to them. To his credit he never got a big head about it. Ialways pulled for him. I hope he does become what they want him tobecome.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Exactly. They didn't get one piece that they'll keep long term, yet people are saying that the Knicks gutted their roster. If you consider sending 4 role players to Den for a Superstar gutting your roster then sure.

Exactly. They didn't get one piece that they'll keep long term, yet people are saying that the Knicks gutted their roster. If you consider sending 4 role players to Den for a Superstar gutting your roster then sure.

I really hope Battier doesn't go to the Celtics, he'd make that defense even more effective and difficult. Gah, lousy rumors, can't wait until this trade deadline passes. At least the MeloDrama saga is over.

I really hope Battier doesn't go to the Celtics, he'd make that defense even more effective and difficult. Gah, lousy rumors, can't wait until this trade deadline passes. At least the MeloDrama saga is over.

laugh.gif

Think I've made my stance on this deal pretty clear.  Too much given up and a sign of front office movement to come in NY.

Finally, it's over. Carmelo Anthony gets to become a New York Knick, just as he pushed for all season, and it seems there's reason for relief and joy everywhere.

New York fans can rejoice over their team's new star combo. Chauncey Billups can rejoice over getting paid his $14 million next season. Denver Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke can rejoice because his team will get under the luxury tax line. Memphis Grizzlies and Portland Trail Blazers fans can rejoice over suddenly increased odds of a playoff berth. And writers and fans can rejoice because they can finally talk about something else.

Actually ... not so fast on that last one.

First, we have to assess the carnage of the final deal. Anthony will head to New York in a 12-player swap that will send Timofey Mozgov, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler to Denver along with New York's first-round pick in 2014 (or later), Golden State's second round picks in 2012 and 2013 and $3 million in cash. Joining Melo in the Big Apple will be Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter, Renaldo Balkman and Minnesota's Corey Brewer. Meanwhile, the Timberwolves will also get $3 million of New York's money, along with Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry.

Here's our outlook:
[h3]Report Card: Nuggets send Melo to New York[/h3]

1975.jpg
Denver trades Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman to the Knicks for Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, a first-round draft pick (2014 or later) and cash. Knicks also send Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry to Minnesota for Corey Brewer.

View this deal in the ESPN Trade Machine
[h3]New York: D+[/h3]
nyk.gif

You can't evaluate this as you would a normal trade. This deal was made at gunpoint, and that colors the entire assessment.

Anthony became the first player in memory to issue a trade demand and then list one team that he'd accept a trade to. And then somehow, the Knicks decided to start bidding against themselves and repeatedly agreed to up the ante in the final hours.

New York could have had Anthony this summer while losing only Chandler (a restricted free agent they would have had to renounce). Their primary risk to that outcome was a "franchise tag" in the new collective bargaining agreement that would have allowed Denver to keep Anthony. But even then plenty of alternatives were available for the Knicks, as three better players -- Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Dwight Howard -- all seemed anxious to get to the Big Apple via power plays of their own, and one of the three (or another marquee star) may have wriggled free regardless of what new restrictions the next CBA imposes.

This isn't Indiana or Memphis, and this saga laid that reality bare. Even with a franchise tag rule, New York had so many advantages that it was only a matter of time before a second star showed up, especially given the salary cap space the Knicks had carved out.

To get a player like Anthony in those circumstances, it was worth paying something above just Chandler to convert a likely outcome to a certainty.

But in this case the premium New York paid was as follows, beyond Chandler:

• Gallinari
• Mozgov
• Their 2014 first-round draft pick
• Golden State's second-round picks in 2012 and 2013 (owned by the Knicks)
• $6 million in cash ($3 million each to Minnesota and Denver)
• Swallowing two dead-money years at the end of Balkman's contract
• Trading Anthony Randolph for Corey Brewer
• Trading Felton for Billups, making New York eight years older at the point guard spot with a player who makes nearly twice in salary next season. Remind again why they needed to commit to all eight of these additional considerations for a player they were likely to get anyway?

The worst part, of course, is that this deal proves that no matter how many advantages New York gains from its magnetic appeal to potential free agents, owner James Dolan will screw them up. Leaning on the genius of Isiah Thomas -- because it worked out so well for the first time -- he fell hook, line and sinker for every bluff thrown his way by the Nuggets and Melo's people. (Yes, Melo's people participated -- Anthony needed to make sure he got a lucrative contract extension under the current salary rules before being traded.)

New York still gets its Melo-Stoudemire nucleus, but now lacks the supporting pieces to do anything important with that core. And by extending Melo now, they agree to lock him up at such an expensive price that, in concert with Stoudemire's deal, it likely precludes making a run at Chris Paul, Deron Williams or Dwight Howard in 2012.
[h3]Denver: B+[/h3]
den.gif

With a loaded gun pointed at their heads, the Nuggets bluffed and schemed their way to a very palatable end-game by running circles around the New York area's battling ownership groups. Using New Jersey for leverage and hoping the Knicks were foolish enough to take the bait, Denver eventually squeezed terms that got the Nuggets under the luxury tax line -- a sizable fit considering they were $13 million over -- brought in a much younger point guard, two quality forwards, a young big man, a first-round pick, two second-round picks and cash.

That's not a bad haul, and it still may be improved upon. With Lawson ready to move up to the starting role, it appears Felton may be moved on to a third team. It's not out of the question that Denver could still make the playoffs, and if the Nuggets can hang on to center Nene Hilario -- another of the Nuggets' potential free agents -- Denver will come out of this in far better shape than most teams that lose a star player.
[h3]Minnesota: B+[/h3]
min.gif

I like Brewer, but I'd trade him for Randolph in a heartbeat. Brewer is a solid role player who plays great defense but can't shoot or dribble. That type of player has his uses, but that's all Brewer will ever be. Helpful, yes, but fungible too.

Randolph has a lower floor but a much higher ceiling. He can't shoot, he weighs 11 pounds and he's a head case. On the other hand, he has rare shot-blocking talent, handles the ball unusually well for a player of his size, and is an elite athlete. He's a potential game-changer at the defensive end and, if the light bulb ever comes on, he's going to provide a very potent complement to Kevin Love's skills in the Minnesota frontcourt.

The price of that trade was just swallowing Curry's expiring contract, but because of the difference in salary between Brewer and Randolph and the $3 million coming from New York, it's pretty much a wash financially. Basically it amounts to a free talent upgrade for Minnesota just for loaning out their cap space to get the Nuggets under the luxury tax.

laugh.gif

Think I've made my stance on this deal pretty clear.  Too much given up and a sign of front office movement to come in NY.

Finally, it's over. Carmelo Anthony gets to become a New York Knick, just as he pushed for all season, and it seems there's reason for relief and joy everywhere.

New York fans can rejoice over their team's new star combo. Chauncey Billups can rejoice over getting paid his $14 million next season. Denver Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke can rejoice because his team will get under the luxury tax line. Memphis Grizzlies and Portland Trail Blazers fans can rejoice over suddenly increased odds of a playoff berth. And writers and fans can rejoice because they can finally talk about something else.

Actually ... not so fast on that last one.

First, we have to assess the carnage of the final deal. Anthony will head to New York in a 12-player swap that will send Timofey Mozgov, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler to Denver along with New York's first-round pick in 2014 (or later), Golden State's second round picks in 2012 and 2013 and $3 million in cash. Joining Melo in the Big Apple will be Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter, Renaldo Balkman and Minnesota's Corey Brewer. Meanwhile, the Timberwolves will also get $3 million of New York's money, along with Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry.

Here's our outlook:
[h3]Report Card: Nuggets send Melo to New York[/h3]

1975.jpg
Denver trades Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman to the Knicks for Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, a first-round draft pick (2014 or later) and cash. Knicks also send Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry to Minnesota for Corey Brewer.

View this deal in the ESPN Trade Machine
[h3]New York: D+[/h3]
nyk.gif

You can't evaluate this as you would a normal trade. This deal was made at gunpoint, and that colors the entire assessment.

Anthony became the first player in memory to issue a trade demand and then list one team that he'd accept a trade to. And then somehow, the Knicks decided to start bidding against themselves and repeatedly agreed to up the ante in the final hours.

New York could have had Anthony this summer while losing only Chandler (a restricted free agent they would have had to renounce). Their primary risk to that outcome was a "franchise tag" in the new collective bargaining agreement that would have allowed Denver to keep Anthony. But even then plenty of alternatives were available for the Knicks, as three better players -- Chris Paul, Deron Williams, and Dwight Howard -- all seemed anxious to get to the Big Apple via power plays of their own, and one of the three (or another marquee star) may have wriggled free regardless of what new restrictions the next CBA imposes.

This isn't Indiana or Memphis, and this saga laid that reality bare. Even with a franchise tag rule, New York had so many advantages that it was only a matter of time before a second star showed up, especially given the salary cap space the Knicks had carved out.

To get a player like Anthony in those circumstances, it was worth paying something above just Chandler to convert a likely outcome to a certainty.

But in this case the premium New York paid was as follows, beyond Chandler:

• Gallinari
• Mozgov
• Their 2014 first-round draft pick
• Golden State's second-round picks in 2012 and 2013 (owned by the Knicks)
• $6 million in cash ($3 million each to Minnesota and Denver)
• Swallowing two dead-money years at the end of Balkman's contract
• Trading Anthony Randolph for Corey Brewer
• Trading Felton for Billups, making New York eight years older at the point guard spot with a player who makes nearly twice in salary next season. Remind again why they needed to commit to all eight of these additional considerations for a player they were likely to get anyway?

The worst part, of course, is that this deal proves that no matter how many advantages New York gains from its magnetic appeal to potential free agents, owner James Dolan will screw them up. Leaning on the genius of Isiah Thomas -- because it worked out so well for the first time -- he fell hook, line and sinker for every bluff thrown his way by the Nuggets and Melo's people. (Yes, Melo's people participated -- Anthony needed to make sure he got a lucrative contract extension under the current salary rules before being traded.)

New York still gets its Melo-Stoudemire nucleus, but now lacks the supporting pieces to do anything important with that core. And by extending Melo now, they agree to lock him up at such an expensive price that, in concert with Stoudemire's deal, it likely precludes making a run at Chris Paul, Deron Williams or Dwight Howard in 2012.
[h3]Denver: B+[/h3]
den.gif

With a loaded gun pointed at their heads, the Nuggets bluffed and schemed their way to a very palatable end-game by running circles around the New York area's battling ownership groups. Using New Jersey for leverage and hoping the Knicks were foolish enough to take the bait, Denver eventually squeezed terms that got the Nuggets under the luxury tax line -- a sizable fit considering they were $13 million over -- brought in a much younger point guard, two quality forwards, a young big man, a first-round pick, two second-round picks and cash.

That's not a bad haul, and it still may be improved upon. With Lawson ready to move up to the starting role, it appears Felton may be moved on to a third team. It's not out of the question that Denver could still make the playoffs, and if the Nuggets can hang on to center Nene Hilario -- another of the Nuggets' potential free agents -- Denver will come out of this in far better shape than most teams that lose a star player.
[h3]Minnesota: B+[/h3]
min.gif

I like Brewer, but I'd trade him for Randolph in a heartbeat. Brewer is a solid role player who plays great defense but can't shoot or dribble. That type of player has his uses, but that's all Brewer will ever be. Helpful, yes, but fungible too.

Randolph has a lower floor but a much higher ceiling. He can't shoot, he weighs 11 pounds and he's a head case. On the other hand, he has rare shot-blocking talent, handles the ball unusually well for a player of his size, and is an elite athlete. He's a potential game-changer at the defensive end and, if the light bulb ever comes on, he's going to provide a very potent complement to Kevin Love's skills in the Minnesota frontcourt.

The price of that trade was just swallowing Curry's expiring contract, but because of the difference in salary between Brewer and Randolph and the $3 million coming from New York, it's pretty much a wash financially. Basically it amounts to a free talent upgrade for Minnesota just for loaning out their cap space to get the Nuggets under the luxury tax.

http://[h3]
[h3]Clips after Gallinari[/h3]
11:35AM ET

[h5]Danilo Gallinari | Knicks [/h5]

According to ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard via sources, the Clippers are offering a first-round pick they acquired from Minnesota to Denver for newly-acquired Danilo Gallinari.

"Pick is Top 10 protected in 2011, unprotected in 2012," tweeted Broussard.

Upgrading at small forward has been a talked-about need of the Clippers, and it's part of the reason some wondered if they'd get into the mix for Carmelo Anthony.

While there's been some suggestion Denver is intent on keeping all the players it just traded for, it's possible the team could still make other moves with them -- as they've reportedly been involved in other discussions involving their new players.

Considering the team has been after multiple draft picks since its been known they were likely to deal Anthony, it's not out of the question Denver could bite on this offer -- though the Clippers may need to offer more.

Rasual Butler -- a rumored target of the Celtics -- and Craig Smith are both on expiring contracts with the Clippers.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Azubuike's role[/h3]
11:21AM ET

[h5]Kelenna Azubuike | Knicks [/h5]

UPDATE: According to Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD, a "source says that Azubuike is doing well, and will make his Knicks debut 'very soon.'"

"Azubuike had been hoping to work his way into the rotation after the All-Star break, and his target date is now looking realistic," he added.

With Gallinari and Wilson Chandler now members of the Nuggets along with less depth due to the Anthony trade, Azubuike could potentially factor into the rotation in the backcourt or on the wing going forward.

Though counting on him to immediately contribute may be wishful thinking since he's coming off a long-standing injury.

---

Kelenna Azubuike has missed the entire 2010-11 season so far as he recovers from patellar-tendon surgery, and there still doesn't appear to be a firm timetable for his return.

But according to Adam Zagoria, coach Mike D'Anotoni indicated last Tuesday: "He's getting closer, that's for sure."

Once thought of a possible starter at shooting guard for the Knicks over the summer, it's possible Azubuike may be able to grab some decent reserve minutes behind Landry Fields if he's able to go somewhat soon -- especially if assets such as Fields or Danilo Gallinari get shipped out in a Carmelo Anthony trade.

Yet, as we've noted previously, Azubuike's expiring contract could also be used in a potential Anthony trade deal.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Wade's right ankle[/h3]
10:11AM ET

[h5]Dwyane Wade | Heat [/h5]

UPDATE: Wade practiced on Monday night and he will play Tuesday against the Kings.

"He went through practice at full speed," Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra told ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst. "He's good to go unless he has a setback."

"The biggest thing was not to have it swell up on the plane and we did a great job of that," Wade said.

----

Dwyane Wade tweaked his right ankle during Sunday's All-Star Game, but it's not serious and he expects to play on Tuesday against Sacramento. He left the game in the third quarter and didn't return.

"It was an All-Star Game," Wade told Michael Wallace of ESPN.com. "If it were a regular game, I would have tied my shoes up a little tighter and gone back out there. But I didn't want to do too much."

Wade has been dogged by various aliments during the season and will get treatment on the ankle for the next two days.

The Heat are going to push for the best record in Eastern Conference so it's imperative that Wade doesn't miss any games.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Przybilla's options if he's traded[/h3]
10:07AM ET

[h5]Joel Przybilla | Trail Blazers [/h5]

The Trail Blazers are reportedly talking with the Nets about a deal that will send Andre Miller and Joel Przybilla to New Jersey for Devin Harris and Troy Murphy.

That two-for-two swap wouldn't work from Portland's end so they would need to add more outgoing salary.

Przybilla has said that he will consider a buyout or retirement if he is traded and that was backed up by his agent on Monday.

"That will be a very quick and intense conversation," Bill Duffy told The Oregonian.

Przybilla's contract, which does include a trade kicker, is set to expire after the season. Miller has a conditional contract for 2011-12 and he will become a free agent if he is waived by June 29.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Where will Harris land?[/h3]
10:05AM ET

[h5]Devin Harris | Nets [/h5]

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2382/devin-harrisDevin Harris' time with the Nets should be over by Thursday. Harris has been unhappy with all the proposed trades that had him heading to Charlotte in the summer and Denver in the winter and he wants out of New Jersey.

It looks like he'll get his wish, as Atlanta, Dallas and Portland are all lining up bids for the Nets point guard.

Michael Cunningham of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the Hawks have been looking to upgrade the point guard spot and have targeted http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3231/ramon-sessionsRamon Sessions (Cleveland) and Harris. Cunningham doesn't know who general manager Rick Sund would trade to the Nets, but lists http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/165/jamal-crawfordJamal Crawford as a possibility. A straight swap of Crawford for Harris works under the salary cap rules.

Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports reported Monday night that Portland is considering sending http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/557/andre-millerAndre Miller and Joel Przybilla to New Jersey for Harris and http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1013/troy-murphyTroy Murphy.

That two-for-two swap wouldn't work from Portland's end so they would need to add more outgoing salary.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports: "Dallas, Denver and New Jersey have discussed three-team trade that would send Harris to the Mavericks and Raymond Felton and Timofey Mozgov with the Nets.

No one knows for sure what's going to happen with Harris, however, we do know he will be traded somewhere by Thursday.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Williams vents[/h3]

[h5]Terrence Williams | Rockets [/h5]

The Rockets acquired Terrence Williams from the Nets earlier this season for a future first-round pick. Williams has not played a lot since he came to Houston because of the plethora of shooting guards and small forwards on the roster.

Williams is tired of sitting and said Monday that he to wants play and if the Rockets can't trade other players then he wants to be moved.

"I want to play basketball, whether it is here or somewhere else," Williams told the Houston Chronicle. "I like the thought of being here with Aaron Brooks from home. But I'm here to play basketball and I'm not doing it. It's nothing against them. At the end of the day, I just want to play basketball."

General manager Daryl Morey has been active with trade negotiations and he is expected to make some trades by Thursday.

Williams has played in only six games since the Rockets acquired him on Dec. 16.

"It's been very hard," Williams said. "It's having a job and you can't do it."

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]SF options for the C's[/h3]
9:52AM ET

[h5]Boston Celtics [/h5]

The Celtics could use a small forward due to the injury to Marquis Daniels and last week Anthony Parker (Cleveland) was mentioned as a possible target. On Monday night ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported that Boston had contacted the Rockets about the availability of Shane Battier.

The problem for the Celtics is the ability to send out a package that would entice Houston. They probably don't have it.

A. Sherrod Blakely of CCN New England reports Battier to the Celtics is not going to happen.

Blakely tweeted Monday night that two targets for Danny Ainge could be Rasual Butler, who would love to be traded from the Clippers and Dahntay Jones, who spent most of the time on the Pacers' bench before Frank Vogel replaced Jim O'Brien.

Jones has a few years left on his contract and the Pacers may be willing to deal him as a way to increase their cap room in the summer.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Nuggets prefer to keep Nene[/h3]
9:51AM ET

[h5]Nene | Nuggets [/h5]

UPDATE: There had been speculation that Denver could trade Nene as a way to clear cap room for the summer if Anthony was traded, but that's not what the Nuggets are going to do. Nene has been wondering why the Nuggets have not offered an extension, but that is on the table now.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports the Nuggets have began talks with the center about an extension.

Nene can become a free agent this summer and will draw a lot of interest. Agent Dan Fegan represents Nene and will get the best deal for his client, whether it's from an extension or via free agency.

Golden State, Houston and Oklahoma City are teams that contacted Denver about potential deals for Nene.

----

Nuggets center Nene Hilario can become a free agent on July 1 if he exercises the early termination option in his contract. Many teams around the league, including Golden State and Houston, would like to acquire him via a trade and that might be a possibility if Carmelo Anthony is traded.

Any team trading for Nene would want the center to sign an extension because of his ETO. Nene reportedly told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday that the Nuggets have not offered him an extension yet.

That really shouldn't be surprise because the roster could be blown up if Anthony is traded and there no reason to extend Nene's contract until Anthony's status with the Nuggets is resolved.

Nene is making $11.36 million this season and is on the books for 2011-12 at $11.6 million.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Walsh's future uncertain[/h3]
9:37AM ET

[h5]New York Knicks [/h5]

Donnie Walsh's future with the Knicks has been a subject in the rumor mill for the last few months, especially with Isiah Thomas in James Dolan's ear. Dolan, Walsh and head coach Mike D'Antoni presented a unified front over the weekend with a press release. However, the rumors won't stop now that Carmelo Anthony has finally been traded to New York.

The New York Post reports Walsh left New York for Indiana over the weekend because he was not involved when Dolan met with Anthony in Los Angeles. Thomas was reportedly advising Dolan though out the negotiations.

Walsh didn't want to trade Timofey Mozgov, but Dolan stepped in and made the call to include the center in the deal with Denver and that finalized the transaction between the clubs.

Dolan has until April 30 to pick up Walsh's option for next season. Dolan so far has not given any indication what he's going to do with the Knicks president.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Colangelo expects a quiet deadline[/h3]
9:09AM ET

[h5]Toronto Raptors [/h5]

UPDATE: Bryan Colangelo also told the Toronto Star that he doesn't expect to make a major trade by Thursday.

Colangelo did say he could trade the 2011 first-round pick the Raptors acquired from the Heat as part of the Chris Bosh trade.

"We might consider doing something now with the Miami (first-round pick) if the right kind of player can be obtained," the Raptors president and general manager said. "We are having discussions with several teams, but mostly for smaller type deals that don't compromise our plan of acquiring future assets or creating more flexibility."

----

The Raptors are not expected to do anything by Thursday's trade deadline that will dramatically change the roster since Bryan Colangelo wants to give his young players a lot of time on the floor and he's not looking to take on salary beyond this season.

Colangelo will do a trade if it's too good to pass up, but he does not anticipate that happening.

"I will say there's all sorts of conversation as we always do as a matter of course," Colangelo told the Toronto Sun. "A lot of deals have been talked about, small deals that involve tweaks to the roster. I'd characterize them as opportunity-type deals."

The Raptors do have a large portion remaining from the Chris Bosh trade exception and they could be brought in if two teams need help from a third team that can take on an expiring contract. In that case Colangelo would get cash and a future draft pick.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Denver likely keeping Felton[/h3]
8:29AM ET

[h5]Raymond Felton | Knicks [/h5]

UPDATE: Broussard had this update Monday night: "Nets will try, but Denver not likely to send any Knicks players back to New Jersey via trade, sources say."

David Aldridge of NBA.com had this quote from Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri on Monday night: "We got these guys to play for the Nuggets."

---

If the Nuggets indeed trade Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks, it's been widely reported Knicks point guard Raymond Felton would come to Denver in return.

And if a Melo trade to the Nets happens, PG Devin Harris would likely be traded to Denver in such a deal.

But it doesn't sound like either is going to be Denver's PG of the future.

"If Nuggets do deal with Knicks, all indications say they want Felton only to trade him on," tweeted ESPN's Marc Stein on Monday. "Just as Denver would do if it got Harris from New Jersey."

The Hawks are said to be looking for a point guard, so it's possible they could get in the mix for either of these two.

And as ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard tweeted Monday, Felton could be in the mix for the Nets if Melo gets traded to New York.

Additionally, if Harris and Felton aren't in Denver's plans and Chauncey Billups -- who is rumored to be in the proposed New York-Denver deal -- gets traded, it could hand the keys over to Ty Lawson at point guard for the Nuggets.

-- Ryan Corazza

hollinger_john_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's John Hollinger[/h5]
Knicks, Nets both have good deals on table for Melo
"The only thing clear here is that Denver emerges stronger than anyone expected. They have a good trade with New York ready to go and an even better one set up with the Nets. Amazingly, both trades get the Nuggets under the luxury-tax line -- they're $13 million over right now -- saving the team roughly $20 million in salary, tax and foregone tax-pool sharing."
[/h3]

http://[h3]Will the Magic get a big?[/h3]
8:28AM ET

[h5]Orlando Magic [/h5]

UPDATE: Even though the Magic could use another big man, head coach Stan Van Gundy said on Monday that he doesn't think Otis Smith is going to make a trade by Thursday's deadline.

"We're getting awful late, and I haven't heard anything, so I would be surprised, actually," Van Gundy told the Orlando Sentinel. "We're at the end of the day on Feb. 21st, and Otis is very good about talking to me about things that are going on, and I haven't heard anything. So I'd be surprised, but you never know what comes up at the last minute."

Orlando has the best shot of adding a big man after March 1. All players need to be waived by that day to be eligible for the playoffs.

Many reports have the Magic linked with Troy Murphy if his contract is bought out and he becomes a free agent.

----

Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith has maintained since he traded away Marcin Gortat in the six-player trade with Phoenix that he didn't think the team needed another big man behind Dwight Howard. Most observers of the Magic say they do need to make a move and that includes Magic CEO Bob Vander Weide.

"We need another big," Vander Weide told the Orlando Sentinel on Sunday.

Smith is now saying he might make a move and told the newspaper on Monday: "We'll look, but I'm pretty content with what we have. If we need to do something before the deadline, we'll make a deal."

Orlando is well above the tax threshold so Smith won't bring in someone with a large salary. He'll probably wait until we get to the end of the month when veterans on bad teams will start asking for buyouts.

March 1 is a day when there is a lot of activity because that is the deadline when players can be waived and still be eligible to be on the active playoff roster.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]O'Neal's Achilles issue[/h3]
8:13AM ET

[h5]Shaquille O'Neal | Celtics [/h5]

Shaquille O'Neal's inflamed Achilles is still sore and he won't play for the rest of the West road trip against Golden State, Denver, L.A. Clippers and Utah.

"It takes time; just a healing issue," head coach Doc Rivers told the Boston Herald. "He's feeling a lot better. He's moving better. I wouldn't be surprised to see him right when we come off this trip. I would be surprised to see him while we're on this trip."

Rivers will continue to use Glen Davis and Semih Erden as the backups to Kendrick Perkins until O'Neal returns to the lineup.

O'Neal last played on Feb. 1 against Sacramento.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Williams shut down[/h3]
7:54AM ET

[h5]Mo Williams | Cavaliers [/h5]

Mo Williams has been battling various injuries this season and now he's dealing with a sprained ankle. Williams could not make it though the Cavs practice on Monday and was shut down by head coach Byron Scott.

"I didn't like what I was seeing," Scott told The News-Herald.

Williams is questionable for the Cavs game against the Rockets on Wednesday.

Ramon Sessions will start at point guard if Williams has to miss any games. Sessions is drawing interest from many teams. However, the Cavs probably won't trade him due to the uncertain health of Williams.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Evans' plantar fasciitis[/h3]
5:31AM ET

[h5]Tyreke Evans | Kings [/h5]

UPDATE: The Sacramento Bee reports http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3983/tyreke-evansTyreke Evans did remain in Los Angeles to consult with Dr. Richard Ferkel. The doctor will look at the MRI that was taken on Monday and advise Evans on the proper rehab program.

Evans has been ruled out for the game against Miami on Tuesday.

Jermaine Taylor started the last game prior to the All-Star break and may get the nod against Miami.

-- Nick Borges

----

Tyreke Evans has been dealing with plantar fasciitis in his left foot this season. But so far, it has yet to keep him out for a prolonged stretch of games.

Yet, he's now missed Sacramento's last two bouts. And according to Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee, Evans will now also miss the Rookie-Sophomore game at All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles on Friday night.

Jones also tweeted Evans is set to see a foot specialist on Monday.

It's possible Evans just sat out these two games previous to the All-Star break to get some extended rest on the lingering injury.

But there was word earlier this season he may undergo season-ending surgery, so this is something to monitor.

If Evans ends up missing games on the other side of the break, expect Pooh Jeter to see more time in Sacramento's backcourt.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Grizz sign Carney[/h3]
4:38AM ET

[h5]Rodney Carney | Grizzlies [/h5]

UPDATE: Memphis signed Rodney Carney to a 10-day contract on Monday. He will add depth to the small forward position with Rudy Gay out of the lineup.

"I know with Rudy being out, that's big shoes to fill," Carney told The Commercial-Appeal. "He averages about 20 points a game. He's athletic at 6-9, and you can't replace that. I just want to come in and try to bring defensive intensity, try to run the floor and hit some (3-pointers). I'm going to work hard in practice and work hard in the games."

Lionel Hollins plans to start Tony Allen at small forward and use Carney and rookie Xavier Henry as the backups.

----

The Commercial-Appeal reports the Memphis Grizzlies will sign former University of Memphis player Rodney Carney to a 10-day contract at the beginning of next week. Carney will reportedly join the team on Monday and be available for Tuesday's game against the Nuggets in Denver.

Memphis decided to bring in Carney after it was determined that Rudy Gay will be out for at least four weeks since he partially dislocated his left shoulder.

Carney began the season with Golden State, but was released on Jan. 4 before his contract became guaranteed for the season.

http://[h3]
[h3]Clips after Gallinari[/h3]
11:35AM ET

[h5]Danilo Gallinari | Knicks [/h5]

According to ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard via sources, the Clippers are offering a first-round pick they acquired from Minnesota to Denver for newly-acquired Danilo Gallinari.

"Pick is Top 10 protected in 2011, unprotected in 2012," tweeted Broussard.

Upgrading at small forward has been a talked-about need of the Clippers, and it's part of the reason some wondered if they'd get into the mix for Carmelo Anthony.

While there's been some suggestion Denver is intent on keeping all the players it just traded for, it's possible the team could still make other moves with them -- as they've reportedly been involved in other discussions involving their new players.

Considering the team has been after multiple draft picks since its been known they were likely to deal Anthony, it's not out of the question Denver could bite on this offer -- though the Clippers may need to offer more.

Rasual Butler -- a rumored target of the Celtics -- and Craig Smith are both on expiring contracts with the Clippers.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Azubuike's role[/h3]
11:21AM ET

[h5]Kelenna Azubuike | Knicks [/h5]

UPDATE: According to Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD, a "source says that Azubuike is doing well, and will make his Knicks debut 'very soon.'"

"Azubuike had been hoping to work his way into the rotation after the All-Star break, and his target date is now looking realistic," he added.

With Gallinari and Wilson Chandler now members of the Nuggets along with less depth due to the Anthony trade, Azubuike could potentially factor into the rotation in the backcourt or on the wing going forward.

Though counting on him to immediately contribute may be wishful thinking since he's coming off a long-standing injury.

---

Kelenna Azubuike has missed the entire 2010-11 season so far as he recovers from patellar-tendon surgery, and there still doesn't appear to be a firm timetable for his return.

But according to Adam Zagoria, coach Mike D'Anotoni indicated last Tuesday: "He's getting closer, that's for sure."

Once thought of a possible starter at shooting guard for the Knicks over the summer, it's possible Azubuike may be able to grab some decent reserve minutes behind Landry Fields if he's able to go somewhat soon -- especially if assets such as Fields or Danilo Gallinari get shipped out in a Carmelo Anthony trade.

Yet, as we've noted previously, Azubuike's expiring contract could also be used in a potential Anthony trade deal.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Wade's right ankle[/h3]
10:11AM ET

[h5]Dwyane Wade | Heat [/h5]

UPDATE: Wade practiced on Monday night and he will play Tuesday against the Kings.

"He went through practice at full speed," Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra told ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst. "He's good to go unless he has a setback."

"The biggest thing was not to have it swell up on the plane and we did a great job of that," Wade said.

----

Dwyane Wade tweaked his right ankle during Sunday's All-Star Game, but it's not serious and he expects to play on Tuesday against Sacramento. He left the game in the third quarter and didn't return.

"It was an All-Star Game," Wade told Michael Wallace of ESPN.com. "If it were a regular game, I would have tied my shoes up a little tighter and gone back out there. But I didn't want to do too much."

Wade has been dogged by various aliments during the season and will get treatment on the ankle for the next two days.

The Heat are going to push for the best record in Eastern Conference so it's imperative that Wade doesn't miss any games.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Przybilla's options if he's traded[/h3]
10:07AM ET

[h5]Joel Przybilla | Trail Blazers [/h5]

The Trail Blazers are reportedly talking with the Nets about a deal that will send Andre Miller and Joel Przybilla to New Jersey for Devin Harris and Troy Murphy.

Przybilla has said that he will consider a buyout or retirement if he is traded and that was backed up by his agent on Monday.

"That will be a very quick and intense conversation," Bill Duffy told The Oregonian.

Przybilla's contract, which does include a trade kicker, is set to expire after the season. Miller has a conditional contract for 2011-12 and he will become a free agent if he is waived by June 29.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Where will Harris land?[/h3]

[h5]Devin Harris | Nets [/h5]

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2382/devin-harrisDevin Harris' time with the Nets should be over by Thursday. Harris has been unhappy with all the proposed trades that had him heading to Charlotte in the summer and Denver in the winter and he wants out of New Jersey.

It looks like he'll get his wish, as Atlanta, Dallas and Portland are all lining up bids for the Nets point guard.

Michael Cunningham of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the Hawks have been looking to upgrade the point guard spot and have targeted http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3231/ramon-sessionsRamon Sessions (Cleveland) and Harris. Cunningham doesn't know who general manager Rick Sund would trade to the Nets, but lists http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/165/jamal-crawfordJamal Crawford as a possibility. A straight swap of Crawford for Harris works under the salary cap rules.

Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports reported Monday night that Portland is considering sending http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/557/andre-millerAndre Miller and Joel Przybilla to New Jersey for Harris and http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1013/troy-murphyTroy Murphy.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports: "Dallas, Denver and New Jersey have discussed three-team trade that would send Harris to the Mavericks and Raymond Felton and Timofey Mozgov with the Nets.

No one knows for sure what's going to happen with Harris, however, we do know he will be traded somewhere by Thursday.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Williams vents[/h3]

[h5]Terrence Williams | Rockets [/h5]

The Rockets acquired Terrence Williams from the Nets earlier this season for a future first-round pick. Williams has not played a lot since he came to Houston because of the plethora of shooting guards and small forwards on the roster.

Williams is tired of sitting and said Monday that he to wants play and if the Rockets can't trade other players then he wants to be moved.

"I want to play basketball, whether it is here or somewhere else," Williams told the Houston Chronicle. "I like the thought of being here with Aaron Brooks from home. But I'm here to play basketball and I'm not doing it. It's nothing against them. At the end of the day, I just want to play basketball."

General manager Daryl Morey has been active with trade negotiations and he is expected to make some trades by Thursday.

Williams has played in only six games since the Rockets acquired him on Dec. 16.

"It's been very hard," Williams said. "It's having a job and you can't do it."

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]SF options for the C's[/h3]
9:52AM ET

[h5]Boston Celtics [/h5]

The Celtics could use a small forward due to the injury to Marquis Daniels and last week Anthony Parker (Cleveland) was mentioned as a possible target. On Monday night ESPN.com's Marc Stein reported that Boston had contacted the Rockets about the availability of Shane Battier.

The problem for the Celtics is the ability to send out a package that would entice Houston. They probably don't have it.

A. Sherrod Blakely of CCN New England reports Battier to the Celtics is not going to happen.

Blakely tweeted Monday night that two targets for Danny Ainge could be Rasual Butler, who would love to be traded from the Clippers and Dahntay Jones, who spent most of the time on the Pacers' bench before Frank Vogel replaced Jim O'Brien.

Jones has a few years left on his contract and the Pacers may be willing to deal him as a way to increase their cap room in the summer.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Nuggets prefer to keep Nene[/h3]
9:51AM ET

[h5]Nene | Nuggets [/h5]

UPDATE: There had been speculation that Denver could trade Nene as a way to clear cap room for the summer if Anthony was traded, but that's not what the Nuggets are going to do. Nene has been wondering why the Nuggets have not offered an extension, but that is on the table now.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein reports the Nuggets have began talks with the center about an extension.

Nene can become a free agent this summer and will draw a lot of interest. Agent Dan Fegan represents Nene and will get the best deal for his client, whether it's from an extension or via free agency.

Golden State, Houston and Oklahoma City are teams that contacted Denver about potential deals for Nene.

----

Nuggets center Nene Hilario can become a free agent on July 1 if he exercises the early termination option in his contract. Many teams around the league, including Golden State and Houston, would like to acquire him via a trade and that might be a possibility if Carmelo Anthony is traded.

Any team trading for Nene would want the center to sign an extension because of his ETO. Nene reportedly told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday that the Nuggets have not offered him an extension yet.

That really shouldn't be surprise because the roster could be blown up if Anthony is traded and there no reason to extend Nene's contract until Anthony's status with the Nuggets is resolved.

Nene is making $11.36 million this season and is on the books for 2011-12 at $11.6 million.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Walsh's future uncertain[/h3]
9:37AM ET

[h5]New York Knicks [/h5]

Donnie Walsh's future with the Knicks has been a subject in the rumor mill for the last few months, especially with Isiah Thomas in James Dolan's ear. Dolan, Walsh and head coach Mike D'Antoni presented a unified front over the weekend with a press release. However, the rumors won't stop now that Carmelo Anthony has finally been traded to New York.

The New York Post reports Walsh left New York for Indiana over the weekend because he was not involved when Dolan met with Anthony in Los Angeles. Thomas was reportedly advising Dolan though out the negotiations.

Walsh didn't want to trade Timofey Mozgov, but Dolan stepped in and made the call to include the center in the deal with Denver and that finalized the transaction between the clubs.

Dolan has until April 30 to pick up Walsh's option for next season. Dolan so far has not given any indication what he's going to do with the Knicks president.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Colangelo expects a quiet deadline[/h3]
9:09AM ET

[h5]Toronto Raptors [/h5]

UPDATE: Bryan Colangelo also told the Toronto Star that he doesn't expect to make a major trade by Thursday.

Colangelo did say he could trade the 2011 first-round pick the Raptors acquired from the Heat as part of the Chris Bosh trade.

"We might consider doing something now with the Miami (first-round pick) if the right kind of player can be obtained," the Raptors president and general manager said. "We are having discussions with several teams, but mostly for smaller type deals that don't compromise our plan of acquiring future assets or creating more flexibility."

----

The Raptors are not expected to do anything by Thursday's trade deadline that will dramatically change the roster since Bryan Colangelo wants to give his young players a lot of time on the floor and he's not looking to take on salary beyond this season.

Colangelo will do a trade if it's too good to pass up, but he does not anticipate that happening.

"I will say there's all sorts of conversation as we always do as a matter of course," Colangelo told the Toronto Sun. "A lot of deals have been talked about, small deals that involve tweaks to the roster. I'd characterize them as opportunity-type deals."

The Raptors do have a large portion remaining from the Chris Bosh trade exception and they could be brought in if two teams need help from a third team that can take on an expiring contract. In that case Colangelo would get cash and a future draft pick.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Denver likely keeping Felton[/h3]
8:29AM ET

[h5]Raymond Felton | Knicks [/h5]

UPDATE: Broussard had this update Monday night: "Nets will try, but Denver not likely to send any Knicks players back to New Jersey via trade, sources say."

David Aldridge of NBA.com had this quote from Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri on Monday night: "We got these guys to play for the Nuggets."

---

If the Nuggets indeed trade Carmelo Anthony to the Knicks, it's been widely reported Knicks point guard Raymond Felton would come to Denver in return.

And if a Melo trade to the Nets happens, PG Devin Harris would likely be traded to Denver in such a deal.

But it doesn't sound like either is going to be Denver's PG of the future.

"If Nuggets do deal with Knicks, all indications say they want Felton only to trade him on," tweeted ESPN's Marc Stein on Monday. "Just as Denver would do if it got Harris from New Jersey."

The Hawks are said to be looking for a point guard, so it's possible they could get in the mix for either of these two.

And as ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard tweeted Monday, Felton could be in the mix for the Nets if Melo gets traded to New York.

Additionally, if Harris and Felton aren't in Denver's plans and Chauncey Billups -- who is rumored to be in the proposed New York-Denver deal -- gets traded, it could hand the keys over to Ty Lawson at point guard for the Nuggets.

-- Ryan Corazza

hollinger_john_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's John Hollinger[/h5]
Knicks, Nets both have good deals on table for Melo
"The only thing clear here is that Denver emerges stronger than anyone expected. They have a good trade with New York ready to go and an even better one set up with the Nets. Amazingly, both trades get the Nuggets under the luxury-tax line -- they're $13 million over right now -- saving the team roughly $20 million in salary, tax and foregone tax-pool sharing."
[/h3]

http://[h3]Will the Magic get a big?[/h3]
8:28AM ET

[h5]Orlando Magic [/h5]

UPDATE: Even though the Magic could use another big man, head coach Stan Van Gundy said on Monday that he doesn't think Otis Smith is going to make a trade by Thursday's deadline.

"We're getting awful late, and I haven't heard anything, so I would be surprised, actually," Van Gundy told the Orlando Sentinel. "We're at the end of the day on Feb. 21st, and Otis is very good about talking to me about things that are going on, and I haven't heard anything. So I'd be surprised, but you never know what comes up at the last minute."

Orlando has the best shot of adding a big man after March 1. All players need to be waived by that day to be eligible for the playoffs.

Many reports have the Magic linked with Troy Murphy if his contract is bought out and he becomes a free agent.

----

Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith has maintained since he traded away Marcin Gortat in the six-player trade with Phoenix that he didn't think the team needed another big man behind Dwight Howard. Most observers of the Magic say they do need to make a move and that includes Magic CEO Bob Vander Weide.

"We need another big," Vander Weide told the Orlando Sentinel on Sunday.

Smith is now saying he might make a move and told the newspaper on Monday: "We'll look, but I'm pretty content with what we have. If we need to do something before the deadline, we'll make a deal."

Orlando is well above the tax threshold so Smith won't bring in someone with a large salary. He'll probably wait until we get to the end of the month when veterans on bad teams will start asking for buyouts.

March 1 is a day when there is a lot of activity because that is the deadline when players can be waived and still be eligible to be on the active playoff roster.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]O'Neal's Achilles issue[/h3]
8:13AM ET

[h5]Shaquille O'Neal | Celtics [/h5]

Shaquille O'Neal's inflamed Achilles is still sore and he won't play for the rest of the West road trip against Golden State, Denver, L.A. Clippers and Utah.

"It takes time; just a healing issue," head coach Doc Rivers told the Boston Herald. "He's feeling a lot better. He's moving better. I wouldn't be surprised to see him right when we come off this trip. I would be surprised to see him while we're on this trip."

Rivers will continue to use Glen Davis and Semih Erden as the backups to Kendrick Perkins until O'Neal returns to the lineup.

O'Neal last played on Feb. 1 against Sacramento.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Williams shut down[/h3]
7:54AM ET

[h5]Mo Williams | Cavaliers [/h5]

Mo Williams has been battling various injuries this season and now he's dealing with a sprained ankle. Williams could not make it though the Cavs practice on Monday and was shut down by head coach Byron Scott.

"I didn't like what I was seeing," Scott told The News-Herald.

Williams is questionable for the Cavs game against the Rockets on Wednesday.

Ramon Sessions will start at point guard if Williams has to miss any games. Sessions is drawing interest from many teams. However, the Cavs probably won't trade him due to the uncertain health of Williams.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Evans' plantar fasciitis[/h3]
5:31AM ET

[h5]Tyreke Evans | Kings [/h5]

UPDATE: The Sacramento Bee reports http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3983/tyreke-evansTyreke Evans did remain in Los Angeles to consult with Dr. Richard Ferkel. The doctor will look at the MRI that was taken on Monday and advise Evans on the proper rehab program.

Evans has been ruled out for the game against Miami on Tuesday.

Jermaine Taylor started the last game prior to the All-Star break and may get the nod against Miami.

-- Nick Borges

----

Tyreke Evans has been dealing with plantar fasciitis in his left foot this season. But so far, it has yet to keep him out for a prolonged stretch of games.

Yet, he's now missed Sacramento's last two bouts. And according to Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee, Evans will now also miss the Rookie-Sophomore game at All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles on Friday night.

Jones also tweeted Evans is set to see a foot specialist on Monday.

It's possible Evans just sat out these two games previous to the All-Star break to get some extended rest on the lingering injury.

But there was word earlier this season he may undergo season-ending surgery, so this is something to monitor.

If Evans ends up missing games on the other side of the break, expect Pooh Jeter to see more time in Sacramento's backcourt.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Grizz sign Carney[/h3]
4:38AM ET

[h5]Rodney Carney | Grizzlies [/h5]

UPDATE: Memphis signed Rodney Carney to a 10-day contract on Monday. He will add depth to the small forward position with Rudy Gay out of the lineup.

"I know with Rudy being out, that's big shoes to fill," Carney told The Commercial-Appeal. "He averages about 20 points a game. He's athletic at 6-9, and you can't replace that. I just want to come in and try to bring defensive intensity, try to run the floor and hit some (3-pointers). I'm going to work hard in practice and work hard in the games."

Lionel Hollins plans to start Tony Allen at small forward and use Carney and rookie Xavier Henry as the backups.

----

The Commercial-Appeal reports the Memphis Grizzlies will sign former University of Memphis player Rodney Carney to a 10-day contract at the beginning of next week. Carney will reportedly join the team on Monday and be available for Tuesday's game against the Nuggets in Denver.

Memphis decided to bring in Carney after it was determined that Rudy Gay will be out for at least four weeks since he partially dislocated his left shoulder.

Carney began the season with Golden State, but was released on Jan. 4 before his contract became guaranteed for the season.

So, since the pieces we got back are long-term pieces in (Marc, DA and the capspace to take on Zach) does that make our deal bad?

So, since the pieces we got back are long-term pieces in (Marc, DA and the capspace to take on Zach) does that make our deal bad?

- That D + report card breakdown for the Knicks was right on the money.

- And I think Atl would be a good look for Devin. He'd eventually replace Bibby and would probably do wonders over there.

As much as I'm not a fan of him, Devin is the perfect pg for Miami as well.

In other words, put him on a team where he doesn't have to be a leader.

- That D + report card breakdown for the Knicks was right on the money.

- And I think Atl would be a good look for Devin. He'd eventually replace Bibby and would probably do wonders over there.

Before the new-look New York Knicks make their debut, most likely Wednesday against the Milwaukee Bucks, all we have is speculation as to how Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups and the other newcomers will mesh with Amare Stoudemire, Landry Fields and the other holdover Knicks. Among all those subjective guesses, Basketball Prospectus' SCHOENE projection system has the ability to offer a numerical perspective.

Ordinarily, SCHOENE seeks to project both players and teams. In this case, we have a pretty good sense for the ability of New York's players. Our questions relate to how they're going to fit together. Using their performance from the past three years, weighted toward more recent play, and an educated guess at how coach Mike D'Antoni might distribute minutes, here's a look at what we can expect from the Knicks' rotation.

[h4]Projections for the New-Look Knicks[/h4]
SCHOENE's look at New York on a per-game basis for the remainder of the 2010-11 season.
[table][tr][th=""]Player[/th][th=""]MPG[/th][th=""]PPG[/th][th=""]RPG[/th][th=""]APG[/th][th=""]WARP[/th][/tr][tr][td]Amare Stoudemire[/td][td]37[/td][td]24.0[/td][td]7.9[/td][td]2.2[/td][td]3.4[/td][/tr][tr][td]Carmelo Anthony[/td][td]37[/td][td]25.7[/td][td]6.9[/td][td]3.3[/td][td]2.8[/td][/tr][tr][td]Landry Fields[/td][td]33[/td][td]10.1[/td][td]6.6[/td][td]2.0[/td][td]1.8[/td][/tr][tr][td]Chauncey Billups[/td][td]32[/td][td]15.9[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]5.7[/td][td]3.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Shawne Williams[/td][td]25[/td][td]9.0[/td][td]4.3[/td][td]0.8[/td][td]1.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Toney Douglas[/td][td]24[/td][td]10.3[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]2.2[/td][td]1.3[/td][/tr][tr][td]Corey Brewer[/td][td]21[/td][td]7.2[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]1.4[/td][td]-0.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Ronny Turiaf[/td][td]20[/td][td]5.0[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]1.8[/td][td]0.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]Shelden Williams[/td][td]20[/td][td]6.1[/td][td]5.7[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]0.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Bill Walker[/td][td]10[/td][td]4.0[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]0.5[/td][td]0.4[/td][/tr][tr][td]Renaldo Balkman[/td][td]5[/td][td]1.4[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]0.2[/td][td]0.3[/td][/tr][/table]

One factor the projections generally do a good job of handling is the adjustment players make when there are too many or too few high-usage players on the same team. In this case, adding Anthony -- who ranks second in the league behind Kobe Bryant, having used 32.5 percent of Denver's plays prior to the trade -- makes less of a difference than it would appear, because New York will also be giving more minutes to role players like Shelden Williams who shoot infrequently.

Still, playing together can be expected to cost Anthony and Stoudemire some touches. In this case, SCHOENE expects that Stoudemire's scoring average will suffer. He has been averaging 26.1 points per game, trailing only Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, but the projection sees Anthony emerging as the Knicks' leading scorer and improving slightly on his current average of 25.2 ppg. The duo of Anthony and Stoudemire projects to come up just short of the Miami Heat's LeBron James and Dwyane Wade (a combined 51.5 ppg) among teammates.

Beyond the two leading scorers, New York can expect balance offensively. Billups remains a very capable scorer in his own right, of course, while his backup, Toney Douglas, might join Billups and Landry Fields in the double-figure scoring department if Douglas plays more minutes at shooting guard.

By Basketball Prospectus' rating system, Billups and Stoudemire both figure to contribute more wins above replacement player (WARP) than Anthony the remainder of the season. All three have strong figures, though, while only one Knicks regular -- newly acquired (from the Timberwolves, as part of the Melo trade) backup guard Corey Brewer -- is below replacement level, at least before we credit him for his solid perimeter defense.

A surprising area in which adding Anthony could help New York is on the glass. While he may be unable to maintain his career-high average of 7.6 rebounds per game, Anthony projects as the Knicks' second-leading rebounder. Contributions from wings Anthony and Fields on the boards will help New York overcome the poor rebounding of its big men. As a team, the Knicks are projected to improve from 26th in the NBA in rebounding to 15th, right at league average.

Still, by virtue of playing smaller lineups and replacing Wilson Chandler with Anthony, New York will likely suffer a drop off at the defensive end. After accounting for the Knicks' fast pace, they currently rank 20th in the league in points allowed per 100 possessions. SCHOENE sees that dipping slightly to 23rd after the trade, entirely because of weaker shot defense.

New York will be willing to accept that if the gains forecast at the other end of the floor come to pass. New York's offense has been up and down this season. Overall, the Knicks rank seventh in offensive rating, averaging 112.1 points per 100 possessions. Adding Anthony and Billups should make New York more potent, and SCHOENE forecasts a 114.0 offensive rating that would likely vault the Knicks atop the league. After all, the only offense more efficient than that so far this season has belonged to ... the Denver Nuggets, at 114.5 points per 100 possessions.

A core strength of Denver's offense has been Anthony's ability to get to the free throw line. New York is already pretty good when it comes to drawing fouls, sitting seventh in the NBA in free throw attempts per field goal attempt. Supplementing that skill with Anthony's drives to the basket should make the Knicks one of the league's top two or three teams in terms of attempting free throws.

Adding it all up, SCHOENE sees the revamped New York lineup as about a 47-win team over the course of a full season. That's ahead of the Knicks' current pace of between 42 and 43 victories. While that difference would translate into only a win or two over the second half of the season, that could be an important margin for New York. John Hollinger's Playoff Odds currently predict the Philadelphia 76ers are likely to jump the Knicks in the standings, but with an average difference of just a win between them. That could mean the difference between facing the Chicago Bulls in the first round instead of the Boston Celtics or Miami Heat.

Sorry to beat the dead horse.

Before the new-look New York Knicks make their debut, most likely Wednesday against the Milwaukee Bucks, all we have is speculation as to how Carmelo Anthony, Chauncey Billups and the other newcomers will mesh with Amare Stoudemire, Landry Fields and the other holdover Knicks. Among all those subjective guesses, Basketball Prospectus' SCHOENE projection system has the ability to offer a numerical perspective.

Ordinarily, SCHOENE seeks to project both players and teams. In this case, we have a pretty good sense for the ability of New York's players. Our questions relate to how they're going to fit together. Using their performance from the past three years, weighted toward more recent play, and an educated guess at how coach Mike D'Antoni might distribute minutes, here's a look at what we can expect from the Knicks' rotation.

[h4]Projections for the New-Look Knicks[/h4]
SCHOENE's look at New York on a per-game basis for the remainder of the 2010-11 season.
[table][tr][th=""]Player[/th][th=""]MPG[/th][th=""]PPG[/th][th=""]RPG[/th][th=""]APG[/th][th=""]WARP[/th][/tr][tr][td]Amare Stoudemire[/td][td]37[/td][td]24.0[/td][td]7.9[/td][td]2.2[/td][td]3.4[/td][/tr][tr][td]Carmelo Anthony[/td][td]37[/td][td]25.7[/td][td]6.9[/td][td]3.3[/td][td]2.8[/td][/tr][tr][td]Landry Fields[/td][td]33[/td][td]10.1[/td][td]6.6[/td][td]2.0[/td][td]1.8[/td][/tr][tr][td]Chauncey Billups[/td][td]32[/td][td]15.9[/td][td]2.4[/td][td]5.7[/td][td]3.5[/td][/tr][tr][td]Shawne Williams[/td][td]25[/td][td]9.0[/td][td]4.3[/td][td]0.8[/td][td]1.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Toney Douglas[/td][td]24[/td][td]10.3[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]2.2[/td][td]1.3[/td][/tr][tr][td]Corey Brewer[/td][td]21[/td][td]7.2[/td][td]2.5[/td][td]1.4[/td][td]-0.2[/td][/tr][tr][td]Ronny Turiaf[/td][td]20[/td][td]5.0[/td][td]3.6[/td][td]1.8[/td][td]0.7[/td][/tr][tr][td]Shelden Williams[/td][td]20[/td][td]6.1[/td][td]5.7[/td][td]0.6[/td][td]0.0[/td][/tr][tr][td]Bill Walker[/td][td]10[/td][td]4.0[/td][td]1.2[/td][td]0.5[/td][td]0.4[/td][/tr][tr][td]Renaldo Balkman[/td][td]5[/td][td]1.4[/td][td]1.1[/td][td]0.2[/td][td]0.3[/td][/tr][/table]

One factor the projections generally do a good job of handling is the adjustment players make when there are too many or too few high-usage players on the same team. In this case, adding Anthony -- who ranks second in the league behind Kobe Bryant, having used 32.5 percent of Denver's plays prior to the trade -- makes less of a difference than it would appear, because New York will also be giving more minutes to role players like Shelden Williams who shoot infrequently.

Still, playing together can be expected to cost Anthony and Stoudemire some touches. In this case, SCHOENE expects that Stoudemire's scoring average will suffer. He has been averaging 26.1 points per game, trailing only Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, but the projection sees Anthony emerging as the Knicks' leading scorer and improving slightly on his current average of 25.2 ppg. The duo of Anthony and Stoudemire projects to come up just short of the Miami Heat's LeBron James and Dwyane Wade (a combined 51.5 ppg) among teammates.

Beyond the two leading scorers, New York can expect balance offensively. Billups remains a very capable scorer in his own right, of course, while his backup, Toney Douglas, might join Billups and Landry Fields in the double-figure scoring department if Douglas plays more minutes at shooting guard.

By Basketball Prospectus' rating system, Billups and Stoudemire both figure to contribute more wins above replacement player (WARP) than Anthony the remainder of the season. All three have strong figures, though, while only one Knicks regular -- newly acquired (from the Timberwolves, as part of the Melo trade) backup guard Corey Brewer -- is below replacement level, at least before we credit him for his solid perimeter defense.

A surprising area in which adding Anthony could help New York is on the glass. While he may be unable to maintain his career-high average of 7.6 rebounds per game, Anthony projects as the Knicks' second-leading rebounder. Contributions from wings Anthony and Fields on the boards will help New York overcome the poor rebounding of its big men. As a team, the Knicks are projected to improve from 26th in the NBA in rebounding to 15th, right at league average.

Still, by virtue of playing smaller lineups and replacing Wilson Chandler with Anthony, New York will likely suffer a drop off at the defensive end. After accounting for the Knicks' fast pace, they currently rank 20th in the league in points allowed per 100 possessions. SCHOENE sees that dipping slightly to 23rd after the trade, entirely because of weaker shot defense.

New York will be willing to accept that if the gains forecast at the other end of the floor come to pass. New York's offense has been up and down this season. Overall, the Knicks rank seventh in offensive rating, averaging 112.1 points per 100 possessions. Adding Anthony and Billups should make New York more potent, and SCHOENE forecasts a 114.0 offensive rating that would likely vault the Knicks atop the league. After all, the only offense more efficient than that so far this season has belonged to ... the Denver Nuggets, at 114.5 points per 100 possessions.

A core strength of Denver's offense has been Anthony's ability to get to the free throw line. New York is already pretty good when it comes to drawing fouls, sitting seventh in the NBA in free throw attempts per field goal attempt. Supplementing that skill with Anthony's drives to the basket should make the Knicks one of the league's top two or three teams in terms of attempting free throws.

Adding it all up, SCHOENE sees the revamped New York lineup as about a 47-win team over the course of a full season. That's ahead of the Knicks' current pace of between 42 and 43 victories. While that difference would translate into only a win or two over the second half of the season, that could be an important margin for New York. John Hollinger's Playoff Odds currently predict the Philadelphia 76ers are likely to jump the Knicks in the standings, but with an average difference of just a win between them. That could mean the difference between facing the Chicago Bulls in the first round instead of the Boston Celtics or Miami Heat.

Sorry to beat the dead horse.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Agreed. He's just not that guy we were hoping for in NJ.

Back
Top Bottom