OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by SHUGES

- And I think Atl would be a good look for Devin. He'd eventually replace Bibby and would probably do wonders over there.

As much as I'm not a fan of him, Devin is the perfect pg for Miami as well.

In other words, put him on a team where he doesn't have to be a leader.
Agreed. He's just not that guy we were hoping for in NJ.

Did the Knicks give up a lot? Yes. But, your basically getting back Billups, Melo and Brewer for Gallo, Chandler (free agent at the end of the year) and Felton.
AR wasn't playing anyway and Curry was an expiring. Tim is basically a backup center. They get back the best player in the deal, arguably a top 10 player in the game and probably the best offensive game in the league. It was definitely risky, but you won't get anywhere in this league with one all-star level player anymore. 

Sure, we can say they could've waited til' the off-season but thats not guaranteed.  You got to look at it from both sides. Of course the team needs work. You can't expect their roster to be perfect right after a big trade like that. The trade wasn't made for NY to try and win THIS season. Now, its up to NY to put the right pieces around them. That's what scares people the most. Their front office. 
laugh.gif

Its like they are content with having Chauncey this season and next, so an upgrade in the bench and possibly the center position will do them just fine. 

I'm sure they will make that push for CP3, Dwill or Dwight in the 2012 off-season. 

Did the Knicks give up a lot? Yes. But, your basically getting back Billups, Melo and Brewer for Gallo, Chandler (free agent at the end of the year) and Felton.
AR wasn't playing anyway and Curry was an expiring. Tim is basically a backup center. They get back the best player in the deal, arguably a top 10 player in the game and probably the best offensive game in the league. It was definitely risky, but you won't get anywhere in this league with one all-star level player anymore. 

Sure, we can say they could've waited til' the off-season but thats not guaranteed.  You got to look at it from both sides. Of course the team needs work. You can't expect their roster to be perfect right after a big trade like that. The trade wasn't made for NY to try and win THIS season. Now, its up to NY to put the right pieces around them. That's what scares people the most. Their front office. 
laugh.gif

Its like they are content with having Chauncey this season and next, so an upgrade in the bench and possibly the center position will do them just fine. 

I'm sure they will make that push for CP3, Dwill or Dwight in the 2012 off-season. 

But they still have no front court to speak of, they're going to be even worse defensively and the cap space probably won't be there for the summer of 2012. There's still no back up PG as well. The bench is decimated. The HUGE difference between what the Knicks are doing and what Miami did this summer is that those players are the best at their position on both sides of the ball. LeBron is so much better than Melo (even w/o throwing in Wade) that it doesn't matter how much better Amare is than Bosh.

But they still have no front court to speak of, they're going to be even worse defensively and the cap space probably won't be there for the summer of 2012. There's still no back up PG as well. The bench is decimated. The HUGE difference between what the Knicks are doing and what Miami did this summer is that those players are the best at their position on both sides of the ball. LeBron is so much better than Melo (even w/o throwing in Wade) that it doesn't matter how much better Amare is than Bosh.

What bench? D'Antoni uses 8 guys anyway and who exactly did they give up that is better than Melo/Billups?

What bench? D'Antoni uses 8 guys anyway and who exactly did they give up that is better than Melo/Billups?

Ok, then look at the 3 you're going to use. Douglas, Williams and who else? Rautins? The even stupider Williams? Balkman? Anthony Carter? You know how garbage those guys are. Toney Douglas is a HORRID back up PG, a position that's even more important now that we aged eight years at that position. Who's backing up Amare at the 4? Turiaf at the 5? The last guy you want to drive into the ground is Amare and he's been getting pounded with minutes all year, you gotta take something off of the guy before he's hurt or runs out of gas before the playoffs start.

Ok, then look at the 3 you're going to use. Douglas, Williams and who else? Rautins? The even stupider Williams? Balkman? Anthony Carter? You know how garbage those guys are. Toney Douglas is a HORRID back up PG, a position that's even more important now that we aged eight years at that position. Who's backing up Amare at the 4? Turiaf at the 5? The last guy you want to drive into the ground is Amare and he's been getting pounded with minutes all year, you gotta take something off of the guy before he's hurt or runs out of gas before the playoffs start.

/\ true, but I can see them bringing in some type of backup center to play 15 minutes a night. 
Where's Earl Barron? 
laugh.gif
 Toney Douglas can handle the backup PG duties. Shawne Williams will be solid off the bench for them. Does replacing Billups with Felton and Turiaf with Mozgov really hurt them defensively? And a motivated Melo can't be as bad Gallo defensively. Then, they add Brewer who is a solid perimeter defender. Their defense didn't get THAT bad compared to how it already was.

I'm guessing Shawne Williams or Brewer may be seeing around 25+ minutes off the bench to replace Chandler's output. That's true what you said about Miami though. 

/\ true, but I can see them bringing in some type of backup center to play 15 minutes a night. 
Where's Earl Barron? 
laugh.gif
 Toney Douglas can handle the backup PG duties. Shawne Williams will be solid off the bench for them. Does replacing Billups with Felton and Turiaf with Mozgov really hurt them defensively? And a motivated Melo can't be as bad Gallo defensively. Then, they add Brewer who is a solid perimeter defender. Their defense didn't get THAT bad compared to how it already was.

I'm guessing Shawne Williams or Brewer may be seeing around 25+ minutes off the bench to replace Chandler's output. That's true what you said about Miami though. 

Originally Posted by Proshares

Douglas, Williams and Brewer.
Shelden Williams may have to spare some of those minutes, but I'm sure NY will go small at times like they usually do with Shawne at the 4 or maybe even Melo at the 4.

Of course that's not the bench you want to stick with long-term, but with the way NY plays its not the worst thing. They can probably get some guy after the deadline on a buyout as well. And like I said, ya'll shouldn't be expecting to compete for a title this season anyway. Now if this is the bench ya'll are going with next season too, then you have a problem. 

Originally Posted by Proshares

Douglas, Williams and Brewer.
Shelden Williams may have to spare some of those minutes, but I'm sure NY will go small at times like they usually do with Shawne at the 4 or maybe even Melo at the 4.

Of course that's not the bench you want to stick with long-term, but with the way NY plays its not the worst thing. They can probably get some guy after the deadline on a buyout as well. And like I said, ya'll shouldn't be expecting to compete for a title this season anyway. Now if this is the bench ya'll are going with next season too, then you have a problem. 

Well they're talking about flipping Brewer for another piece so that's why I haven't really included him in the conversation. Toney can't handle the back up duties bro, why do you think Antoni was running Felton into the ground? He was playing awful.

Well they're talking about flipping Brewer for another piece so that's why I haven't really included him in the conversation. Toney can't handle the back up duties bro, why do you think Antoni was running Felton into the ground? He was playing awful.

I know he's more of a combo guard, but I didn't know he was playing that bad. I seen them play maybe about 11-12 games this season.
I'm sure they will try to flip Brewer for a big then if that's the case.

I know he's more of a combo guard, but I didn't know he was playing that bad. I seen them play maybe about 11-12 games this season.
I'm sure they will try to flip Brewer for a big then if that's the case.

I actually think Brewer's a good fit on NY cuz he fills a role (defender) and doesn't need the ball at all, with Melo and Stat, that's a good thing. 

I actually think Brewer's a good fit on NY cuz he fills a role (defender) and doesn't need the ball at all, with Melo and Stat, that's a good thing. 

CB I think is a good fit as well, they should be able to get a servicable big after the March 1st waiver deadline.

They aren't going to play defense consistently as long as D'Antoni is there anyway so I still don't get why people are saying this was a bad deal and they "gutted" their roster when Gallo was maybe the only player that was going to be with them long term.

I

CB I think is a good fit as well, they should be able to get a servicable big after the March 1st waiver deadline.

They aren't going to play defense consistently as long as D'Antoni is there anyway so I still don't get why people are saying this was a bad deal and they "gutted" their roster when Gallo was maybe the only player that was going to be with them long term.

I

Back
Top Bottom