**Official 2010 NY knicks pre-season thread** 10/6 vs T-wolves (PARIS) 2PM MSG/NBA TV

positions dont matter in mikes system. gallo will be a starter w/ or w/o melo. knowing dantoni no rookie will get playing time (as much as i want "i will break you" to start he wont get more than 5 min a game unless he dominates in practice). As far as i see it this will be the starting lineup come opening day

felton
chandler/walker
gallo
amare
randolph

positions dont matter in mikes system. gallo will be a starter w/ or w/o melo. knowing dantoni no rookie will get playing time (as much as i want "i will break you" to start he wont get more than 5 min a game unless he dominates in practice). As far as i see it this will be the starting lineup come opening day

felton
chandler/walker
gallo
amare
randolph

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

The Italian would probably be best used in a role similar to the way Kukoc was used with the Bulls, and he'd be a damn good fit as the first guy off the bench, and playing around thirty minutes a game.
pimp.gif
make sense indeed

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

The Italian would probably be best used in a role similar to the way Kukoc was used with the Bulls, and he'd be a damn good fit as the first guy off the bench, and playing around thirty minutes a game.
pimp.gif
make sense indeed

NYelectric is right, he would be better suited as the 2-3 guy, but I think he should most definitely be in the starting position if he is to reach the potential that many Knick fans have for him. I don't know him personally, but he is being touted here as the next big thing, and to have him coming off the bench in his 3rd or 4th season doesn't exactly say the same thing.

We could play him at the 2-3 and have a lengthy lineup that does create matchup problems. This, only being a problem, if we do land a coveted 3.

NYelectric is right, he would be better suited as the 2-3 guy, but I think he should most definitely be in the starting position if he is to reach the potential that many Knick fans have for him. I don't know him personally, but he is being touted here as the next big thing, and to have him coming off the bench in his 3rd or 4th season doesn't exactly say the same thing.

We could play him at the 2-3 and have a lengthy lineup that does create matchup problems. This, only being a problem, if we do land a coveted 3.

Originally Posted by NYelectric

What 4 could Gallo gaurd? You really see him being able to defend against a Kenyon Martin? A Pau? I think he stands a much better shot against Ray Allen than KG.
Since when did the Knicks care about defense?
laugh.gif
Dirk is a 4 and not that great on defense. As far as your question though, I think Gallo could definitely guard Pau... well, I don't know about the new and improved not so soft Pau. But I think in situations like that, depending on the flow of the game, Randolph (or the Russian) might play the bulk of the game if defense is needed. But let's be serious, we know the Knicks game plan, if Pau scores 20, we need Gallo to score 22 and that's how we win that matchup. You don't shut down, you outscore, in this system at least.

Originally Posted by NYelectric

What 4 could Gallo gaurd? You really see him being able to defend against a Kenyon Martin? A Pau? I think he stands a much better shot against Ray Allen than KG.
Since when did the Knicks care about defense?
laugh.gif
Dirk is a 4 and not that great on defense. As far as your question though, I think Gallo could definitely guard Pau... well, I don't know about the new and improved not so soft Pau. But I think in situations like that, depending on the flow of the game, Randolph (or the Russian) might play the bulk of the game if defense is needed. But let's be serious, we know the Knicks game plan, if Pau scores 20, we need Gallo to score 22 and that's how we win that matchup. You don't shut down, you outscore, in this system at least.

The bigger issue with Gallinari at the 4, with or without Melo (which I want to stop talking about), is that means Amare plays the 5. He would be much better at the 4 and I believe that was part of the deal in signing him, that he'd play primarily the 4.

Of course, when we pay you 100 million you better be prepared to play some point guard if the coach says so, but I think we'd get crushed inside with Gallinari at 4 and Amare at 5. Then again, it's D'Antoni, it doesn't matter if a team drops 120 on us... so long as we score 121 on them.

The bigger issue with Gallinari at the 4, with or without Melo (which I want to stop talking about), is that means Amare plays the 5. He would be much better at the 4 and I believe that was part of the deal in signing him, that he'd play primarily the 4.

Of course, when we pay you 100 million you better be prepared to play some point guard if the coach says so, but I think we'd get crushed inside with Gallinari at 4 and Amare at 5. Then again, it's D'Antoni, it doesn't matter if a team drops 120 on us... so long as we score 121 on them.

Amare is the 4 though. So everyone saying he can play the 4 is wasting their time.

If you move Amare to the 5, do you really want a frontcourt of Melo, Gallinari and Amare?

All I was trying to say was if Gallinari continues to improve, why use your cap room to tie up the 3 spot? Can't keep spending money just to spend. It would be more efficient to find a 2 instead. Unfortunately, there aren't that many great 2 guards out there right now.

The Knicks would be over the cap with no real way of improving the 1 or the 2 spot, or possibly the 5 spot.

Amare is the 4 though. So everyone saying he can play the 4 is wasting their time.

If you move Amare to the 5, do you really want a frontcourt of Melo, Gallinari and Amare?

All I was trying to say was if Gallinari continues to improve, why use your cap room to tie up the 3 spot? Can't keep spending money just to spend. It would be more efficient to find a 2 instead. Unfortunately, there aren't that many great 2 guards out there right now.

The Knicks would be over the cap with no real way of improving the 1 or the 2 spot, or possibly the 5 spot.

A lot of you guys are underestimating gallo, or maybe i just have high expectations.

Either way, its been known that gallo has been working on his ball handling and bulking up, exactly what hes been doing. He also needs to be more aggressive, and not so passive, same with chandler.

And gallo isnt going anywhere, anytime soon. book that !*$#.

A lot of you guys are underestimating gallo, or maybe i just have high expectations.

Either way, its been known that gallo has been working on his ball handling and bulking up, exactly what hes been doing. He also needs to be more aggressive, and not so passive, same with chandler.

And gallo isnt going anywhere, anytime soon. book that !*$#.

Wizard, i dont get what you're trying to say.

You can say, what was the point in signing lebron? hes a 3 as well, although he can play point for some streches.

Look at the Suns. When Amare and Frye were on the court together, Amare was basically playing the 5 and frye was camping out by the 3 point line. ON PAPER, Amare is the 4, but most of the time, hes going to be playing the 5 position on offense anyway.

And that frontcourt is fine. All 3 are capable defenders, that can box their man out. All mike has to do, is PREACH defense more, something he didnt do last year.

Wizard, i dont get what you're trying to say.

You can say, what was the point in signing lebron? hes a 3 as well, although he can play point for some streches.

Look at the Suns. When Amare and Frye were on the court together, Amare was basically playing the 5 and frye was camping out by the 3 point line. ON PAPER, Amare is the 4, but most of the time, hes going to be playing the 5 position on offense anyway.

And that frontcourt is fine. All 3 are capable defenders, that can box their man out. All mike has to do, is PREACH defense more, something he didnt do last year.

If we get Melo, Gallo is not starting. He's the 6th man. Amar'e is not going to primarily be the 5 either. Only time to worry about Melo-Gallo-Amar'e is when the team is down by 15 in the 3rd.

Plus no need to worry about the cap space and not pursuing a pg for a sf cuz I'm sure Walsh will clear these roster spots once the opportunities present themselves.

If we get Melo, Gallo is not starting. He's the 6th man. Amar'e is not going to primarily be the 5 either. Only time to worry about Melo-Gallo-Amar'e is when the team is down by 15 in the 3rd.

Plus no need to worry about the cap space and not pursuing a pg for a sf cuz I'm sure Walsh will clear these roster spots once the opportunities present themselves.

I think knicks should have waited on the felton signing, wasn't d'antoni beasting to get ramon?

[h2]Wolves Shopping Sessions, Pursuing Ridnour[/h2]
Jul 12, 2010 10:08 AM EST

min_40.gif
Minnesota signed Ramon Sessions to a four-year, $16 million contract last summer, but are currently shopping him in the trade market.

“They’re basically looking for a salary dump,

I think knicks should have waited on the felton signing, wasn't d'antoni beasting to get ramon?

[h2]Wolves Shopping Sessions, Pursuing Ridnour[/h2]
Jul 12, 2010 10:08 AM EST

min_40.gif
Minnesota signed Ramon Sessions to a four-year, $16 million contract last summer, but are currently shopping him in the trade market.

“They’re basically looking for a salary dump,

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Amar'e is the 5 unless of course the Russian dude blows everyone away in Summer League & practice and is the starting center.
As for [using the cap to tie up the 3 spot], if you have a legitimate shot to sign a top 5 player in the league, you do it.
I'm completely against the Carmelo talk but hypothetically if we have a shot at signing him, you accommodate him, not Gallo. Gallo doesn't have a ceiling even close to how good Carmelo currently is.
And as for having Amar'e, Melo & Gallo as your front court, HELL YES. A super-athletic center who can finish around the basket, a versatile 3/4 (Melo) who requires a double team and a 3/4 (Gallo) who will keep a defender on the perimeter at all times, otherwise..water.
I think that's a pretty good front court.

......................however, we're not getting 'Melo so all this talk is nonsense.

Amar'e is the 5 unless of course the Russian dude blows everyone away in Summer League & practice and is the starting center.
As for [using the cap to tie up the 3 spot], if you have a legitimate shot to sign a top 5 player in the league, you do it.
I'm completely against the Carmelo talk but hypothetically if we have a shot at signing him, you accommodate him, not Gallo. Gallo doesn't have a ceiling even close to how good Carmelo currently is.
And as for having Amar'e, Melo & Gallo as your front court, HELL YES. A super-athletic center who can finish around the basket, a versatile 3/4 (Melo) who requires a double team and a 3/4 (Gallo) who will keep a defender on the perimeter at all times, otherwise..water.
I think that's a pretty good front court.

......................however, we're not getting 'Melo so all this talk is nonsense.

In an up and down offense, that would be almost unguardable.

But I do agree with you regarding spending money just to spend it. Gallo's great but sooner or later he's gonna have to be paid (assuming he performs beyond expectations like Lee did). Gallo could definitely fit in as a 4 in a small lineup or as a 3 in a big lineup. Can you imagine those three with a competent PG and a defense-only 5? Yowza.

Back
Top Bottom