Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

Guzman landed one of the prettiest Short left Hooks Ever.

Mopped Buddy.

was an incredibly short, sudden and Solid shot. on the button.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Guzman landed one of the prettiest Short left Hooks Ever.

Mopped Buddy.

was an incredibly short, sudden and Solid shot. on the button.
Guzman is a great example of a "what could have been" in the sport of boxing..
Sad story really.

Mormeck is the definition of a pathetic fighter...

laugh.gif

He didn't even try.

I dont even know if i have this epix channel. I have TWC.

Still havent found discounted MSG tix to see Sergio Martinez. My plan B is to see the Golden Gloves finals.

one of the funniest boxing news in awhile...   Rey "Boom Boom" Bautista of the PI was supposed to fight Genaro Garcia of Mexico.  Garcia fought for a few world titles and even knocked out Rafael Marquez.   Well, the "wrong" Genaro Garcia arrived in the PI and this dude's record was 10-11 and had no trainer with him
laugh.gif
   Same name, totally different fighter.  Fight pushed through, and Bautista knocked him out in the 2nd round.  All the fans who paid got refunds.

Well supposedly one of PBF's men Tommy Smalls has been talking in Gamboa's ear. No idea what about. The LA pressier is going on with just Rios tomorrow. Read it on maxboxing's twitter.

IBF denies Campillo's plea for rematch.

Spoiler [+]
The IBF on Monday denied Gabriel Campillo's request for an immediate rematch with light heavyweight titleholder Tavoris Cloud, who won a split decision to retain his belt in a controversial fight on Feb. 18.

Although Campillo, a former titleholder from Spain, was knocked down twice in the first round, many believed he did more than enough to earn the victory over the next 11 rounds when they met in Corpus Christi, Texas, in the opening bout of a "Showtime Championship Boxing" card.

While judge Dennis Nelson scored the fight 115-111 for Campillo (21-4-1, 8 KOs), judges David Robertson (116-110) and Joel Elizondo (114-112) scored for Cloud (24-0, 19 KOs), of Tallahassee, Fla., whose face was busted up. The Campillo camp was particularly upset with the surprisingly wide score from Robertson.

Rafael's boxing blog

Rafael Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

IBF president Daryl Peoples informed Leon Margules, the attorney representing Campillo and promoter Sampson Lewkowicz, of the decision in a letter emailed to him.

People told Margules in the letter that he and IBF championship chairman Lindsey Tucker had reviewed a DVD of the bout. Peoples reiterated that the judges for the fight were selected by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation in accordance with federal law and then denied the request.

"The judging of professional boxing events is subjective," Peoples wrote. "While you have presented many media accounts disputing the scoring of the fight, these criticisms do not represent the opinions of professional boxing judges. Absent any proof of wrongdoing, we must rely on the decisions rendered by the judges whether their decisions are popular or not.

"Any action taken by the IBF in this situation without proof of wrongdoing or violation of IBF rules would serve to invalidate the decision of the judges. You pointed out in your letter dated February 27, 2011, 'While we do not believe that a judges' scoring should normally be questioned,' the IBF agrees with your position. Based on the foregoing, the IBF will not grant an immediate rematch."

Margules had asked the IBF to order the rematch under the organization's rule that says the IBF has the authority to order a rematch at their discretion.

"I just think if they have this discretionary rule then this is the type of thing they should use it for, where the fighter was wronged and there is no specific grounds under their appeal rules to allow us to appeal anything that happened that night," Margules told ESPN.com. "This is when they should use the discretionary rule -- to right the wrong. But they decided not to."

In a separate request, Campillo also appealed the decision to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which oversees boxing in the state. Campillo has asked that the two judges who scored for Cloud be disciplined and that the decision to be changed to a no contest.

Margules said Texas has not yet ruled, but that in a letter it has asked him to provide additional information. He said Texas officials asked for a video of the fight, the scorecards and any other supporting documents related to the Campillo complaint. Margules said Texas asked for the material to be submitted by March 16.

Where in the world is Yuriorkis Gamboa?

Spoiler [+]
Maybe it's too good to be true that former lightweight titleholder Brandon Rios and former featherweight titlist Yuriorkis Gamboa, due to jump up two weight classes from featherweight, would meet in a battle for a vacant lightweight belt on April 14 on HBO.

It's one of the most anticipated fights on the upcoming boxing calendar, but after what happened on Monday, who knows if it will happen?

Top Rank, which promotes the undefeated fighters, sure sounded concerned. So, too, did HBO. And both should be.

Top Rank was blindsided, as were Rios and his trainer (Robert Garcia) and manager (Cameron Dunkin), when Gamboa was a no-show at Monday's news conference to kick off the promotion in Miami, Gamboa's adopted hometown. Rios (29-0-1, 22 KOs) and his team were there, as were members of the Top Rank staff to run the event, but they had no idea Gamboa would blow it off, apparently without explanation, although Gamboa couldn't be reached for comment.

"All I can tell you is, he wasn't here and I don't know why he wasn't here," Top Rank spokesman Lee Samuels told me from Miami. "We have no answers."

Samuels said somebody from Gamboa's team informed them only a few minutes before the news conference was set to begin that Gamboa (21-0, 16 KOs), for reasons they also said they didn't know, wouldn't be coming.

Rios-Gamboa is such a hot fight -- one that matches two of boxing's most exciting fighters -- that Top Rank took the unusual step of putting together a two-city media tour to promote the bout -- Monday in Miami and Tuesday in Los Angeles, the area where Rios is from. Multiple-city media tours are normally reserved for pay-per-view fights.

The bout was announced three weeks ago to much fanfare, and tickets went on sale Friday. Top Rank president Todd duBoef described the initial sales for the fight, due to take place at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, as "terrific" and "better than we expected."

But then Gamboa didn't show up for the news conference. It's extremely rare -- frankly, I can't think of a single example in my time on the boxing beat -- for a main event fighter not to show up at a news conference to kick off a promotion when there was no travel issue or illness.

In fact, according to duBoef, one of the things Gamboa asked for when they were closing their deal was that a news conference be held in Miami, which duBoef said he was happy to agree to.

The promotion is supposed to move on to Los Angeles for another media event Tuesday. Top Rank's staff and Rios' team boarded their planes Monday afternoon for the trip, but it's anyone's guess whether Gamboa will show up in L.A.

"All I know is, we are going with Brandon to Los Angeles and we will be ready for another press conference on Tuesday," Samuels said. "Will Gamboa be there? I don't know what to tell you."

The industry scuttlebutt is that Gamboa is pulling out of the fight and perhaps is being wooed by Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s Mayweather Promotions. Whatever Gamboa does, duBoef said he has a firm promotional contract with him.

Knowing how Top Rank usually conducts its business, I have no doubt it has a solid contract with Gamboa. Just look what happened last year when Nonito Donaire tried to leave the company to sign with Golden Boy. They wound up in arbitration and Top Rank's contract was upheld.

DuBoef said Gamboa had agreed to the Rios fight and that he has an ample paperwork trail to back it up, even though the official bout agreement isn't signed yet. (It's standard practice in boxing for a formal bout agreement to go unsigned until well into a promotion.)

DuBoef said he has also been in touch with HBO to inform executives there what little he knows about the situation. Like boxing fans, duBoef hopes Gamboa has a good excuse for his non-appearance and makes it to Los Angeles.

"Where in the world is Waldo? I have no idea. Somebody let me know," duBoef said. "I'll be in L.A. for a press conference on Tuesday. I'll let you know if he shows up."

Man if this fight ain't happening...

30t6p3b.gif

I was about to get my tickets for the fight on ticketmaster a few hours ago until I went on boxingscene and read all this...

30t6p3b.gif

The attorney for THE RING's No. 1-rated featherweight Yuriorkis Gamboa said the former Cuban Olympic gold medalist won't fight the magazine's No. 1-rated lightweight, Brandon Rios, on April 14 on HBO unless he is "operating under terms that are satisfactory" regarding his contract with co-promoters Top Rank Inc. and Ahmet Oner.

Gamboa (21-0, 16 knockouts) did not show up for a noon press conference on Monday at the Versailles Restaurant in Miami, Fla., and said that he will not be present at the Los Angeles presser at the Millenium Biltmore Hotel's Crystal Ballroom today.

"No," Gamboa said when asked if he would attend the L.A. press conference on Tuesday. "There's no contract and there is no fight."

Gamboa spoke to RingTV.com from Las Vegas, where he arrived on Sunday and has been training at the gym owned by WBC welterweight titleholder Floyd Mayweather Jr. Gamboa's interview was translated by his wife, Maria Cabrera.

"Whenever everything is clear with my contract, that's when the fight will happen, but right now I'm not under the terms that I want the fight to happen," Gamboa told RingTV.com. "I don't have a problem with HBO, and I hope that HBO doesn't have a problem with me either because everything that's happening with me, I didn't choose to be in the position I'm in right now.

"But this is the time to do this, because if I don't stand up for myself, nobody else is going to do it. I never thought that things would wind up this way, but there was never a contract and there was never a signature from Gamboa agreeing to fight with Brandon Rios on April 14."

Gamboa contends that he has never been happy with the terms of the deal and that he has not signed a bout agreement to face Rios (29-0-1, 22 KOs), with whom he is scheduled to fight for the vacant WBA lightweight belt at the Mandalay Bay Resort in Las Vegas.

Gamboa's lawyer, Sekou Gary, says his client is willing to work things out with his co-promoters, but he also stresses that the undefeated boxer-puncher is unsatisfied with his current situation.

"He is looking to come to a resolution with Top Rank and the co-promoter, Arena Box-Promotion, and Ahmet Oner, and he's looking to go in another direction; he's hoping to come to an amicable resolution with these guys," said Gary, whose father, Willie E. Gary, has earned the nickname, "Giant Killer," for his billion dollar success in high profile cases.

"Top Rank and Ahmet Oner are in the same position. Ahmet Oner is the promoter that he's signed to, and Ahmet Oner did the co-promotion with Top Rank, so they're both the same entity as far as we're concerned, and we're not happy with either of them."

Although officials from Top Rank Inc. or Oner's Arena Box-Promotions could not be reached concerning the status of Gamboa's contract at the time of this filing, Top Rank Inc. spokesman Lee Samuels told USA Today that Gamboa is under contract with the company for another two years.

"He can't fight for anyone else," said Samuels.

Gary would not speculate on whether or not Gamboa would contest his contractual agreement with either promoter.

"We're not going to comment directly on that, because we're in the process of working on that," Gary said. "We don't want to predict the future. We're in the process of trying to deal with the future right now and we don't want to be pigeon-holed into that position.

"Because we don't really know what's going to happen with resolving this matter. It could turn out in a couple of different ways. There are a few different scenarios and we just have to find one that he feels comfortable moving forward under. We have to be operating under terms that are satisfactory to the fighter, and that's the bottom line."

Gary also wanted to be clear that his client is not afraid of Rios or withdrawing from any legal agreement.

"We have concerns because there are people saying that Gamboa is backing out of the fight, and things of that nature, and that's not true," Gary said. "(Gamboa) has never signed on to the fight, so he never has backed out of the fight. He just wasn't going forward with a fight that they hadn't reached satisfactory terms on."

Gamboa said he skipped out on the press conference "because I never signed a contract for the fight, and since I didn't have a contract, and we're still under negotiations, then there was no reason for me to go to the press conference."

"When I told them that I was not going to show up, they told me that there was no way that they could cancel this, and that I should just show up and be there and this and that," said Gamboa.

"But I said, 'I didn't sign anything, so I'm not going.' I told Jose Perez, who works with Ahmet Oner, on Saturday, when I spoke to my lawyer, that I was not going to go to the press conference on Monday."

Gamboa also denied reports such as that in USA Today that he is close to signing with Mayweather's promotional company.

"I'm here in Las Vegas with my father [Carlos Gamboa,] and I've been training in Mayweather's gym because he [Floyd Mayweather Jr.] is my friend," said Gamboa. "He offered me his Gym so that I can train there, since the fight is going to be here in Las Vegas. That's the purpose of my training here."

Gamboa said he wants the fight as much as Rios does.

"The message to my fans is that, obviously, I'm not scared of Brandon Rios. They all should know that. I have no problem fighting with him or any other boxer," said Gamboa.

"But the problem is with my promoters and how they're doing their business with me. So it has nothing to do with Brandon Rios, but with the way that the business is being handled."

http://ringtv.craveonline...unless-the-deal-is-right

News.

Spoiler [+]
Most of the boxing world's attention on Saturday night will be paid to Showtime's main event in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where featherweight titlist Orlando Salido of Mexico will defend against Puerto Rican star and former titleholder Juan Manuel Lopez in a rematch of Salido's huge upset last April.

[+] Enlarge
Amanda Kwok/Showtime
Mikey Garcia expects Bernabe Concepcion and Saturday's bout to be the last hurdle he must clear to land an opportunity to fight for a championship.
But there is also a lot on the line in the opening bout on Showtime (10 p.m. ET/PT) as featherweight contender Miguel Angel "Mikey" Garcia squares off with former two-time title challenger Bernabe Concepcion in the scheduled 10-round co-feature, knowing a victory could propel him into a title shot against the Salido-Lopez II winner or titleholder Celestino Caballero.

Garcia (27-0, 23 KOs), of Oxnard, Calif., has knocked out five consecutive opponents and been waiting patiently for a title opportunity. Concepcion (31-4-1, 17 KOs), a former two-time featherweight title challenger from the Philippines, could be his last hurdle.

Concepcion has lost two of his past three bouts, including a second-round knockout loss in a fierce title fight in Puerto Rico against Lopez in July 2010, but Garcia knows he has a lot to lose if he looks past him.

"My fight with Concepcion is a tough fight. It's a dangerous fight and it means everything to me," Garcia said. "If I want my title shot, I need to win. There has been talk about me fighting the winner of Lopez and Salido. I want my chance. I hope to fight the winner of Saturday night's fight for the belt before the end of the year.

"I'm thankful for the reception I've received in Puerto Rico. It's my first time here and I like it very much. I'm really looking forward to Saturday's match. I've put in a lot of hard work because the fight is so important to me."

Cameron Dunkin, Garcia's manager, said fights with the main event winner and Caballero are possible, but that Garcia would soon fight for a belt as long as he wins Saturday.

Rafael's boxing blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"But Mikey has to be very careful with this guy. Concepcion is a tremendous puncher," Dunkin said. "I managed [former featherweight titleholder] Steven Luevano, and you remember that fight, when Concepcion hit him after the bell and knocked him out. He got disqualified, but you know the damage he can do. He can knock guys dead. He dropped Lopez hard in their fight.

"He can crack, and every time you hear him land a punch, it's nasty. So I have all the respect in the world for him. It's a good test for Mikey to get him ready for a world title fight."

For his part, Concepcion would like to erase the memory of the loss to Lopez in Puerto Rico by bumping off Garcia.

"I'm excited for fight night on Saturday against Garcia. I came to Puerto Rico once before," Concepcion said. "Thank you to the promoters and all the fans for having me back, but I hope for a different result this time."

Three other undercard bouts will air on Showtime Extreme beginning at 8 p.m. ET/PT.: Jose Gonzalez (18-0, 13 KOs) against Hevinson Herrera (15-8-1, 13 KOs) in a 10-round lightweight fight; flyweight McWilliams Arroyo (10-1, 9 KOs) against Luis Maldonado (38-6-1, 29 KOs) in a 10-rounder; and flyweight Jonathan Gonzalez (8-0, 7 KOs) versus Erickson Martell (8-3, 6 KOs) in an eight-rounder.

Burns defends against Moses

Lightweight titlist Ricky Burns (33-2, 9 KOs) of Scotland will face former titlist Paulus Moses (28-1, 19 KOs) on Saturday but will go into the fight unfamiliar with Moses, who will be on enemy turf at Braehead Arena in Glasgow, Scotland.

[+] Enlarge
APPhoto/Danny Lawson/PA Wire
Ricky Burns hasn't had much exposure to Saturday's opponent, Paulus Moses, whom Burns claims he hasn't seen fight at all.
Burns, who is making his first defense, claims he hasn't watched any footage of Moses during his preparation for the fight. Instead, he said, he would rather figure him out in the ring.

"The first time I will have seen Moses in action is when we swap punches in the ring on the night," said Burns, who held a junior lightweight title before vacating to move up in weight. "I haven't seen a thing on him. I don't want to watch him at all. I've left it to my trainer, Billy Nelson, who has watched all his fights and figured out the strategy to beat him.

"I never like to watch my opponents before the fight, so I just leave it to Billy. A lot of it I will work out when I'm in the ring with Moses. Some people will be shocked by this, but it works for me."

Burns, who said he has trained 10 weeks for the fight, also said he wasn't overly concerned with the challenger's power, even though Moses has knocked out 10 of his victims inside three rounds.

"I've been in the ring with big punchers and beaten them -- Roman Martinez and Michael Katsidis more recently," Burns said. "If I was worried about being hit, I wouldn't have taken up boxing. I'm just going to stick to my game plan that I've worked out with Billy and beat this guy."

If Burns wins, promoter Frank Warren has talked about a summer showdown between Burns and England's Kevin Mitchell (33-1, 24 KOs), whose only loss was by knockout to Katsidis. But Mitchell has rebounded with two wins in a row, including an impressive eighth-round knockout of well-regarded and previously undefeated John Murray of England last July.

Rios not concerned about making weight

Whether former lightweight titleholder Brandon Rios (29-0-1, 22 KOs) faces Yuriorkis Gamboa (21-0, 16 KOs) or somebody else on April 14 (HBO) at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, he said he would make the 135-pound limit if necessary.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Frank Franklin II
Brandon Rios failed to make weight against John Murray, but he may not have to worry much longer about making the 135-pound limit.
"I hired a nutritionist and he's been cooking for me, so everything is going good," Rios said. "My weight is good. I'm 150 right now [on Tuesday], maybe a little under, so I will be ready for April 14. I have never felt this good before coming down in weight."

Rios, of course, failed to make the weight for a Dec. 3 title defense against John Murray on the Miguel Cotto-Antonio Margarito II undercard and was stripped of his title. His immense struggle to try to make weight was chronicled on HBO's "2 Days," and showed just how depleted Rios was as he weighed in. Although utterly drained and no longer in possession of the title, Rios went out the following night and knocked out Murray in the 11th round.

After he was called out by Gamboa, Rios decided to fight once more at lightweight rather than move up to junior welterweight. He and Gamboa are supposed to meet for that still-vacant lightweight belt, but Gamboa didn't show up at two promotional news conferences this week, putting the fight in jeopardy. Top Rank president Todd duBoef said Rios will still fight on April 14, even if a replacement opponent must be found. It's possible the replacement fight could be at junior welterweight.

Viloria eyes revenge on Nino

In 2006, Brian Viloria, a 2000 U.S. Olympian, was an undefeated junior flyweight titleholder when he made his second defense against Omar Nino of Mexico.

Viloria (30-3, 17 KOs) lost a lopsided decision for his first career defeat. Three months later, they fought to a draw in a rematch, a decision later ruled a no-contest because Nino (30-4-2, 12 KOs) tested positive for a banned substance after the fight.

Those blemishes on Viloria's record have bothered him ever since, which is why he is so anxious for their third meeting.

Tweet, tweet
Don't miss a moment of the latest boxing coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

"I want to clean the slate this fight," Viloria said. "We've had a loss and a draw changed to a no-contest, and that was my first loss. It kind of set the tone for how my career would go. I feel like there'd be unfinished business if I left it like that. The trilogy gives me a chance to put that chapter behind me. Romero is deceivingly quick and a little awkward at times. He goes in and out fairly well and throws a lot of combinations."

Viloria will defend his flyweight title when he and Nino meet for the third time on March 31 (Integrated Sports PPV, 9 p.m. ET, $29.95) at Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig City in the Philippines, where Viloria, a Filipino-American, has developed a strong following.

Viloria has won three world titles (two at junior flyweight and his current belt at flyweight) and was a 2000 U.S. Olympian, but he views avenging the loss to Nino as a way to bolster a legacy that is important to him.

"Right now, making it into the top 10 of the pound-for-pound list is what really keeps me going," Viloria, 30, said. "It's been a dream of mine. I've done just about everything as an amateur and professional. I want to keep fighting, but not just to be a footnote. I want to make my imprint to where people in 10 to 20 years will talk about watching 'The Hawaiian Punch.' My legacy is what really drives me today.

"I love boxing. It's been my passion since I was 6, so I've been doing this for a while. When the day comes to hang it up, I'll cross that bridge, and I'll know when it's time. I'm in the best shape of my life now. I'm in my prime and plan to be world champion for a while longer."

Quick Hits

• Talks for a Jean Pascal-Ismayl Sillakh light heavyweight title eliminator -- the winner would become mandatory for the winner of the April 28 Bernard Hopkins-Chad Dawson rematch -- had fallen apart and then had begun to come back together. But now, for the time being, the fight certainly is off after Pascal (26-2-1, 16 KOs) suffered a right shoulder injury that will keep him out of action until the summer, Yvon Michel, Pascal's promoter, told ESPN.com. "He slightly injured his right shoulder when he fell on the ice during a friendly hockey game," Michel said. "Jean is an excellent hockey player and he plays weekly in a non-contact league. This injury has nothing to do with the one that required surgery in 2009. Only bruises, but his doctor recommended two weeks of rest. His comeback is likely to be pushed until June." Pascal hasn't fought since last May, which is when he lost a unanimous decision and the light heavyweight title in a rematch against Hopkins. With Pascal out of the picture for the moment, Sillakh (17-0, 14 KOs), a native of Ukraine living in Southern California, likely will fight this spring on ESPN2, Square Ring promoter John Wirt said. A possible opponent is Denis Grachev (11-0-1, 7 KOs), a native of Russia living in San Diego.

[+] Enlarge
Patrik Stollarz/Getty Images
After destroying Jean-Marc Mormeck last week in Germany, Wladimir Klitschko already had his next opponent lined up: Tony Thompson.

• After heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko (57-3, 50 KOs) polished off Jean-Marc Mormeck in an utterly one-sided fourth-round demolition last week, Klitschko already knew who his likely next opponent would be: mandatory challenger Tony Thompson (36-2, 24 KOs). The fight is due by mid-July, according to the IBF, and Klitschko has no intention of giving up the belt. Klitschko knocked out Thompson in the 11th round of a dominant performance in a 2008 mandatory defense, but Thompson has won five fights in a row (all by knockout) to again become the mandatory challenger. "I'm doing everything to solely focus on beating him," Thompson said. "I just want to fight, point blank. It doesn't matter to me where it takes place. If he wants to come over here, great. If he wants to fight in Germany, that's great too." Thompson's team would like to lure Klitschko to Washington, D.C., his hometown, for the fight. Wherever the fight takes place, Thompson said he will go into the fight without the knee injury that hampered him the first time they met (and required surgery afterward). "I'm ready," Thompson said. "I'm done waiting for this part of my life to be over and I'm looking forward to becoming the heavyweight champion of the world."

• Middleweight titlist Daniel Geale (27-1, 15 KOs) retained his belt on Wednesday in Hobart, Australia, by outpointing mandatory challenger Osumanu Adama (20-3, 15 KOs) in his second title defense, 118-110, 117-111 and 115-113. Now Geale and promoter Gary Shaw are turning their attention to bringing Geale from Australia to the United States. Shaw said he hopes to match Geale with the division's best, including champion Sergio Martinez and titleholders Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Dmitry Pirog and Felix Sturm. "Sky is the limit for Daniel," Shaw said. "Right now the goal is to bring Geale to the U.S. for a big fight on [premium cable] television. He's earned the right to fight any of the current champions at middleweight. Daniel is a fantastic fighter, and I see him becoming the undisputed champion at 160. When I get back to the states, I will put everything in motion." Geale, who won his title in Germany by split decision against Sebastian Sylvester in May 2011, wants to fight in America. "A move to the U.S. could be next for me," he said. "I have confidence in my ability to unify the titles and become the best middleweight in the world. I feel great right now and I'm extremely happy knowing big opportunities await me. My career is headed in the right direction, and I'm looking forward to my next fight, whoever it may be. A fight with [former champ] Jermain Taylor is also intriguing, being that we were both Olympians in the 2000 Sydney Games. I'm ready to fight the best out there, including Sergio Martinez."

• They are two of the most famous female boxers in history, even if they are years past their primes. But that won't stop Christy Martin, 43, from facing Mia St. John, 44, on June 19 in a junior middleweight fight at the Table Mountain Casino in Friant, Calif., promoter Roy Englebrecht announced. It will be a rematch. Martin (49-6-3, 31 KOs), who said this will be her final fight, easily outpointed St. John (46-11-2, 18 KOs) at the Silverdome in Pontiac, Mich., in 2002 in a welterweight fight. "I am excited about this opportunity to get my 50th win against Mia St. John to finish my career," Martin said. "This time, I will KO Mia. That's as good a guarantee as you get." Martin, who returned after suffering serious injuries when she was shot and stabbed by her husband, Jim Martin, in November 2010, was stopped in the sixth-round by Dakota Stone in June in a fight that Martin was winning before she suffered a broken right hand and the bout was called off over her objections. St. John will be coming off a 20-month layoff but is anxious for another crack at Martin. "I've waited nearly 10 years for this rematch," St. John said. "I know I outboxed Christy in the last fight, but this time I am going to beat her."

• The story of Dewey Bozella, who served 26 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit before gaining his release and winning, at age 52, the one professional fight he dreamed of having, will come to ESPN in the form of a documentary. ESPN Films chronicles Bozella's journey from prison to prizefighter in "26 Years: The Dewey Bozella Story," which debuts on March 15 (8:30 p.m. ET) on ESPN. Bozella first gained national attention when he was honored with the Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the 2011 ESPYs. Light heavyweight champ Bernard Hopkins, who had served 4½ years in prison for armed robbery, and Oscar De La Hoya took notice and helped Bozella gain his license, then put him on the undercard of Hopkins' defense against Chad Dawson last October. Directed by award-winning producer/director Jose Morales, the film follows Bozella on his quest to earn a professional boxing license and sheds light on a man who never gave up fighting for his freedom. It is narrated by actor Laurence Fishburne and includes interviews with De La Hoya, Hopkins and Bozella's wife, Trena, and his attorneys.

[+] Enlarge
Ethan Miller/Getty Images
Roy Jones Jr. is set to make his return, although not as a fighter or even an analyst. He'll man Kendall Holt's corner on the March 16 edition of "Friday Night Fights."

• Roy Jones Jr. will appear on ESPN2/ESPN3's "Friday Night Fights" on March 16. But the former pound-for-pound king and four-division champ won't be fighting. Instead, he will be manning the corner of former junior welterweight titlist Kendall Holt (27-5, 15 KOs), who will meet Tim Coleman (19-2-1, 5 KOs) in the main event at Morongo Casino Resort in Cabazon, Calif. Holt, who grew up idolizing Jones, has lost three of his past five fights and is looking to get back in the win column following his decision loss to Danny Garcia in October on the Bernard Hopkins-Chad Dawson undercard. According to John Beninati, matchmaker for Holt's promoter, Gary Shaw, Jones -- with whom Holt has become friendly -- will work the corner because others were unable to. Holt's dad, Barry Porter, has been training him in the gym, Beninati said, but can't make the trip because of impending foot surgery. Mikey Skrowronski, Holt's former trainer, was also asked to fill in but was unable to due to the demands of his travel schedule for his job outside of boxing.

• Tickets for unified junior welterweight titleholder Lamont Peterson's rematch with Amir Khan go on sale at 3 p.m. ET Saturday, Golden Boy announced. Tickets for the May 19 rematch at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas are priced at $300, $200, $150, $100 and $50 (not including applicable service charges) and will be available via Ticketmaster and Mandalay Bay and their websites. In December, Peterson won a controversial decision in his hometown of Washington, D.C., against England's Khan to claim a pair of 140-pound belts. The all-action fight was marred by the highly questionable refereeing of Joe Cooper, who docked two points from Khan for pushing, a very obscure call. After a difficult negotiation, the sides agreed to a rematch.

• Although long-faded three-division champion James Toney was brutalized and shut out in a decision loss to Denis Lebedev in an interim cruiserweight title bout in Russia in November, he will fight on at age 43. Toney (73-7-3, 44 KOs) will face Bobby Gunn (21-4-1, 18 KOs), a former cruiserweight title challenger, in a heavyweight bout on April 7 in Southaven, Miss. ... England's Ryan Rhodes (46-5, 31 KOs), who lost a junior middleweight world title bout to Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in 2011, suffered a back injury and has withdrawn from a March 24 European title bout against Sergey Rabchenko (19-0, 14 KOs), who will instead fight an opponent to be determined in an eight-rounder on the card in Sheffield, England. ... Heavyweight Audley Harrison (27-5, 20 KOs), who hasn't been in the ring since he was stopped in the third round of a world title bout against David Haye in November 2010, postponed his planned April 14 return against Ali Adams (13-3-1, 5 KOs) in Brentwood, England, because of a right elbow injury. The fight has been postponed until May 26 at the same venue. ... Integrated Sports will carry promoter Jimmy Burchfield's March 24 card from Resorts Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City, N.J., on pay-per-view (4 p.m., $29.95). Heavyweight Mariusz Wach (26-0, 14 KOs), a native of Poland living in North Bergen, N.J., will face Tye Fields (49-4, 44 KOs) in the main event.

Adamek

Quotable

"I've already forgotten about the last fight. I lost on Saturday, and on Monday I came back to my family and my life in America. I was ready to get back to work. I quickly came back to the gym and went back to work." -- Heavyweight contender Tomasz Adamek, on shaking off a lopsided 10th-round knockout loss to titleholder Vitali Klitschko in September in his native Poland as he gets ready to return against Nagy Aguilera on March 24 (NBC Sports Net)

DeMarco

"We are working on certain things to take away his aggressiveness, but to be honest, sometimes the tactics you work on in the gym don't work in the ring. That is why the thing that we are going to do most in this fight is give it our all, our heart, our soul, our will to be somebody, and the desire to keep being a world champion. That is what is going to help me withstand everything and win the fight." -- Lightweight titlist Antonio DeMarco, on preparing for his first title defense, against Mexican countryman Miguel Roman on May 17 in Los Mochis, Mexico, DeMarco's hometown

"I used to watch Shane Mosley's fights. Now I am fighting him. It is like a dream." -- Junior middleweight titlist Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, on his defense against the former champion in Las Vegas on May 5 (HBO PPV)

Should be a good night of boxing tomorrow night, going to rewatch Lopez v. Salido I tonight. 
The Showtime TV Cheat Sheet- Mar. 9, 2012

(Photo [emoji]169[/emoji] Peter Amador / Top Rank)

By Marty Mulcahey

Upsets are special but not as uncommon as many believe, occurring with the same frequency in boxing as any other sport. In fact, every boxing magazine and website gives away year-end awards for “Upset of The Year

Yeah,I llike that, HBO should follow with one of their 10 channels.
predict
Andy Lee by UD
Juan Ma by UD
Garcia by 9th rd TKO
Ricky Burns by UD
Alvarado hgetsaanunced as Rios' new opponent

At 140? I don't think Alvarado gets sauced at all. That'll be a competitve fight.

I'd be shocked if JML/Salido went the distance.

I think it could go 12, but with Salido's chin looking bad vs Haya and Lopez being dropped by Concepcion and Salido before, who knows.
Clarification, Alvarado vs Rios is just a prediction.
Seems like the practical thing would be have them fight and have Gesta vs Herrera
Still have no idea what gamboa is doing

Back
Top Bottom