Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

I'm extremely excited about Colin...

First player in NCAA history who passed for over 2,000 yards & rushed for at least 1,000 yards in three consecutive seasons. As a senior, he became one of only three players in NCAA history to have at least 20 touchdowns both rushing and passing. He has 59 career rushing TD's which ties the NCAA record. 82 career TD's to only 24 INTS. The ONLY player in NCAA history with over 4,000 rush yards, and 10,000 passing yards.

Very impressive.

I'm extremely excited about Colin...

First player in NCAA history who passed for over 2,000 yards & rushed for at least 1,000 yards in three consecutive seasons. As a senior, he became one of only three players in NCAA history to have at least 20 touchdowns both rushing and passing. He has 59 career rushing TD's which ties the NCAA record. 82 career TD's to only 24 INTS. The ONLY player in NCAA history with over 4,000 rush yards, and 10,000 passing yards.

Very impressive.

Originally Posted by What up

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Very impressive.

Especially if you consider the stellar competition he had to face in the WAC to get those numbers ...
laugh.gif

To be fair to Colin, he came up pretty big against good competition that he did face (Boise State, and Cal), and he came through in the clutch as well. And lots of good NFL QBs have come from non-AQ conferences.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Very impressive.

Especially if you consider the stellar competition he had to face in the WAC to get those numbers ...
laugh.gif

To be fair to Colin, he came up pretty big against good competition that he did face (Boise State, and Cal), and he came through in the clutch as well. And lots of good NFL QBs have come from non-AQ conferences.

Did you just say Cal was good competition? That Sept 17th game against Presbyterian ... I mean, who wouldn't make a $250 million TV deal to show those teams lighting up the scoreboard?

There might very well be a lot of good NFL QBs from non-AQ conferences, but they were more polished than Kaepernick - smoother motion, familiarity with a pro-style offense, etc. I want stability at the QB position as much as the next guy, but this kid won't provide that for a while (if ever).

Did you just say Cal was good competition? That Sept 17th game against Presbyterian ... I mean, who wouldn't make a $250 million TV deal to show those teams lighting up the scoreboard?

There might very well be a lot of good NFL QBs from non-AQ conferences, but they were more polished than Kaepernick - smoother motion, familiarity with a pro-style offense, etc. I want stability at the QB position as much as the next guy, but this kid won't provide that for a while (if ever).

Yeah, I did say Cal was good competition.
laugh.gif
As "bad" as Cal was last year in not making a bowl, they have a lot of NFL-caliber players on the roster. That defense alone had three draft picks this year in Cameron Jordan, Mike Mohamed, and Chris Conte...not many college football programs can say that. Not that Cal is elite-level competition, they were inconsistent, but they're better than any defense Nevada faced outside of Boise State.

Yeah, I did say Cal was good competition.
laugh.gif
As "bad" as Cal was last year in not making a bowl, they have a lot of NFL-caliber players on the roster. That defense alone had three draft picks this year in Cameron Jordan, Mike Mohamed, and Chris Conte...not many college football programs can say that. Not that Cal is elite-level competition, they were inconsistent, but they're better than any defense Nevada faced outside of Boise State.

If you're listing Chris Conte to support your claim, I'll go ahead and rest my case.
I'm with you, I didn't think he was that good, but NFL teams did. I think I'll trust scouts with football judgment more than I trust my own...

Back on Kaepernick, out of all the QBs available in the draft, he was the one I hoped we took the most because he has an upside that no other quarterback has in the draft class besides Cam Newton. The problems he has are fixable with a coach like Harbaugh, we will see in a few years, but I'm very confident he will turn out well for us.

If you're listing Chris Conte to support your claim, I'll go ahead and rest my case.
I'm with you, I didn't think he was that good, but NFL teams did. I think I'll trust scouts with football judgment more than I trust my own...

Back on Kaepernick, out of all the QBs available in the draft, he was the one I hoped we took the most because he has an upside that no other quarterback has in the draft class besides Cam Newton. The problems he has are fixable with a coach like Harbaugh, we will see in a few years, but I'm very confident he will turn out well for us.

I hear ya.  I get it.  But it's the 49ers ... So I'm not holding my breath.  Too many failures in the previous seasons for me to keep an optimistic outlook.  I don't know how some of ya'll do it.
laugh.gif

I will be rocking my old school 49ers snapback in Texas, though. Mutha&$#! your Cowboys/Texans.

I hear ya.  I get it.  But it's the 49ers ... So I'm not holding my breath.  Too many failures in the previous seasons for me to keep an optimistic outlook.  I don't know how some of ya'll do it.
laugh.gif

I will be rocking my old school 49ers snapback in Texas, though. Mutha&$#! your Cowboys/Texans.

I like this move

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Kaepernick to learn offense from Stanford QB, other 49ers[/h1]

By Matthew Barrows
[email protected]

Published: Friday, May. 6, 2011 - 12:00 am| Page 1C

SANTA CLARA – When the Rams drafted Sam Bradford No. 1 overall last year, it wasn't long before the quarterback was studying St. Louis' offensive system. He sat down with his offensive coordinator to go over the playbook the next day.

This year, the ongoing lockout is a learning barrier for players, especially incoming quarterbacks such as Colin Kaepernick, who are barred from meeting with coaches until the lockout is lifted.

But there are other methods by which Kaepernick can begin his NFL education.

The Nevada quarterback is in the process of moving from Reno to Santa Clara, near the 49ers' headquarters. There he'll be only a 15-minute drive from Stanford's Andrew Luck, a quarterback who knows 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and his offense as well as anyone. Harbaugh coached Luck at Stanford the past three seasons.

Kaepernick and Luck met over the summer at the Manning Passing Academy in Thibodaux, La. They remarked on how similar they were – tall, mobile, with big right arms – and became friends who traded text messages throughout the 2010 season.

When Harbaugh and the 49ers moved up nine spots last Friday to draft Kaepernick in the second round, he received a call from Luck. More conversations are sure to follow.

"Especially if the lockout stays on," Kaepernick said last week. "I'm going to try and pick his brain as much as I can and try to get a jump-start into this offense, and pick up as much as I can from him."

Moving to the South Bay also will put Kaepernick in proximity with quarterback Alex Smith, a free agent the 49ers want to re-sign, and a dozen or so 49ers who have been training together.

Kaepernick has been communicating with the ringleader of that group, left tackle Joe Staley, and there are plans to get together.

The 49ers' private workouts have been limited to the weight room, but players soon want to move to the playing field, where they could put Harbaugh's playbook to use. During the brief time last week when the lockout was lifted, Harbaugh handed the playbook to a number of players, including Smith.

The 49ers drafted Kaepernick hours after the lockout was reinstated. Harbaugh was asked then if he would be disappointed if one of his veterans who received the playbook earlier in the day leaked it to Kaepernick.

"I'm not into hypotheticals," Harbaugh said.

On Saturday, Harbaugh was asked if there is an advantage to a rookie having the playbook if he has no access to coaches who can explain it to him.

Said Harbaugh, "I think it's better than not having the playbook, but it does need to be coached, explained. It needs to be interactive, questions being asked, questions being answered."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/05/06/3606314/kaepernick-to-learn-offense-from.html#ixzz1LbYh8jlg

I like this move

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Kaepernick to learn offense from Stanford QB, other 49ers[/h1]

By Matthew Barrows
[email protected]

Published: Friday, May. 6, 2011 - 12:00 am| Page 1C

SANTA CLARA – When the Rams drafted Sam Bradford No. 1 overall last year, it wasn't long before the quarterback was studying St. Louis' offensive system. He sat down with his offensive coordinator to go over the playbook the next day.

This year, the ongoing lockout is a learning barrier for players, especially incoming quarterbacks such as Colin Kaepernick, who are barred from meeting with coaches until the lockout is lifted.

But there are other methods by which Kaepernick can begin his NFL education.

The Nevada quarterback is in the process of moving from Reno to Santa Clara, near the 49ers' headquarters. There he'll be only a 15-minute drive from Stanford's Andrew Luck, a quarterback who knows 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh and his offense as well as anyone. Harbaugh coached Luck at Stanford the past three seasons.

Kaepernick and Luck met over the summer at the Manning Passing Academy in Thibodaux, La. They remarked on how similar they were – tall, mobile, with big right arms – and became friends who traded text messages throughout the 2010 season.

When Harbaugh and the 49ers moved up nine spots last Friday to draft Kaepernick in the second round, he received a call from Luck. More conversations are sure to follow.

"Especially if the lockout stays on," Kaepernick said last week. "I'm going to try and pick his brain as much as I can and try to get a jump-start into this offense, and pick up as much as I can from him."

Moving to the South Bay also will put Kaepernick in proximity with quarterback Alex Smith, a free agent the 49ers want to re-sign, and a dozen or so 49ers who have been training together.

Kaepernick has been communicating with the ringleader of that group, left tackle Joe Staley, and there are plans to get together.

The 49ers' private workouts have been limited to the weight room, but players soon want to move to the playing field, where they could put Harbaugh's playbook to use. During the brief time last week when the lockout was lifted, Harbaugh handed the playbook to a number of players, including Smith.

The 49ers drafted Kaepernick hours after the lockout was reinstated. Harbaugh was asked then if he would be disappointed if one of his veterans who received the playbook earlier in the day leaked it to Kaepernick.

"I'm not into hypotheticals," Harbaugh said.

On Saturday, Harbaugh was asked if there is an advantage to a rookie having the playbook if he has no access to coaches who can explain it to him.

Said Harbaugh, "I think it's better than not having the playbook, but it does need to be coached, explained. It needs to be interactive, questions being asked, questions being answered."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/05/06/3606314/kaepernick-to-learn-offense-from.html#ixzz1LbYh8jlg

Back
Top Bottom