Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

Let me get this straight......

We lost out on Takeo, Franklin, Baas and Lawson.

We resigned ALex and Wragge.

Frank Gore is expected to hold out.

FML!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Someone explain to me again why I renewed my season tickets?

mad.gif

Pretty bad start to the season so far. Lets hope we can make this up by signing Nnamdi

9ers creating cap space to pursue Asomugha
Recommend
Comment(0)
Email
Print
Facebook
RSS
July 27, 2011

MAIOCCO ARCHIVE
49ERS PAGE | 49ERS VIDEO

Matt Maiocco
CSNBayArea.com

SANTA CLARA -- The 49ers have a big need at cornerback and they have enough wiggle room to make a play for the top player on the NFL's open market.

The 49ers are going strong after Raiders free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, former Raiders executive and NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi reported Wednesday.

However, the New York Jets are the 49ers' main competition for the Asomugha's services, Lombardi reported. The Houston Texans are also believed to be pursuing Asomugha, a three-time Pro Bowl selection and considered one of the top corners in the league.

The 49ers will cut $2.375 million in salary with the release of reserve quarterback David Carr on Thursday. The club also plans to create plenty of cap space by addressing Nate Clements' $15 million cap figure. If Clements does not agree to a drastic reduction, the 49ers will likely release him, sources have told CSN Bay Area. The 49ers have more than $8 million in cap space before touching Clements' contract.

The 49ers did not get into a bidding war Wednesday to retain starting center David Baas, perhaps to save cap space for a run at Asomugha, an NFL source said. Baas agreed to terms on a contract with the New York Giants that will pay him money commensurate with the top three or four centers in the league, the source said.

The 49ers have discussed Chicago Bears veteran center Olin Kreutz, an unrestricted free agent. The club has also agreed to terms to re-sign veteran Tony Wragge, a source confirmed. Wragge, a six-year veteran, has two career starts at center.

In addition to drafting two offensive tackles -- Daniel Kilgore of Appalachia State and Mike Person of Montana -- that they plan to shift to center, the 49ers have also signed undrafted rookie Chase Beeler of Stanford.

Beeler, an All-American who played college ball under 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, knows the 49ers' offensive as well as anyone on the team. He assisted the 49ers' offensive line during a week of workouts recently at San Jose State.

Read more: 49ers creating cap space to pursue Asomugha
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Pretty bad start to the season so far. Lets hope we can make this up by signing Nnamdi

9ers creating cap space to pursue Asomugha
Recommend
Comment(0)
Email
Print
Facebook
RSS
July 27, 2011

MAIOCCO ARCHIVE
49ERS PAGE | 49ERS VIDEO

Matt Maiocco
CSNBayArea.com

SANTA CLARA -- The 49ers have a big need at cornerback and they have enough wiggle room to make a play for the top player on the NFL's open market.

The 49ers are going strong after Raiders free-agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, former Raiders executive and NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi reported Wednesday.

However, the New York Jets are the 49ers' main competition for the Asomugha's services, Lombardi reported. The Houston Texans are also believed to be pursuing Asomugha, a three-time Pro Bowl selection and considered one of the top corners in the league.

The 49ers will cut $2.375 million in salary with the release of reserve quarterback David Carr on Thursday. The club also plans to create plenty of cap space by addressing Nate Clements' $15 million cap figure. If Clements does not agree to a drastic reduction, the 49ers will likely release him, sources have told CSN Bay Area. The 49ers have more than $8 million in cap space before touching Clements' contract.

The 49ers did not get into a bidding war Wednesday to retain starting center David Baas, perhaps to save cap space for a run at Asomugha, an NFL source said. Baas agreed to terms on a contract with the New York Giants that will pay him money commensurate with the top three or four centers in the league, the source said.

The 49ers have discussed Chicago Bears veteran center Olin Kreutz, an unrestricted free agent. The club has also agreed to terms to re-sign veteran Tony Wragge, a source confirmed. Wragge, a six-year veteran, has two career starts at center.

In addition to drafting two offensive tackles -- Daniel Kilgore of Appalachia State and Mike Person of Montana -- that they plan to shift to center, the 49ers have also signed undrafted rookie Chase Beeler of Stanford.

Beeler, an All-American who played college ball under 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, knows the 49ers' offensive as well as anyone on the team. He assisted the 49ers' offensive line during a week of workouts recently at San Jose State.

Read more: 49ers creating cap space to pursue Asomugha
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

If we get Nnamdi it'll make this all worth it
nerd.gif
. If he goes to the Jets instead I won't be too disappointed either, but at least we're making a play.

No idea why Gore would hold out...he's getting older, he's somewhat injury-prone, I don't see how he can get more than he already makes.

nerd.gif
. If he goes to the Jets instead I won't be too disappointed either, but at least we're making a play.

No idea why Gore would hold out...he's getting older, he's somewhat injury-prone, I don't see how he can get more than he already makes.

Wow things arent looking good so far. I honestly am sick of Gore he hasnt done much to impress me these last two years. Yeah he has some great games but hes injured a lot and benefits from being in a run first offense.

The 49ers are focused on re-signing defensive end Ray McDonald. Then, McDonald would start at left defensive end, and Isaac Sopoaga would move to nose tackle.
I actually like this move. McDonald was good when he got the opportunity to play and I think Sopoaga could transition to NT. I dont think the 49ers are even going to attempt to sign Franklin so this would probably be the best choice anyway.

Also I still dont believe we will get Asomugha but if we do that would be huge after all of these players leaving.

Wow things arent looking good so far. I honestly am sick of Gore he hasnt done much to impress me these last two years. Yeah he has some great games but hes injured a lot and benefits from being in a run first offense.

The 49ers are focused on re-signing defensive end Ray McDonald. Then, McDonald would start at left defensive end, and Isaac Sopoaga would move to nose tackle.
I actually like this move. McDonald was good when he got the opportunity to play and I think Sopoaga could transition to NT. I dont think the 49ers are even going to attempt to sign Franklin so this would probably be the best choice anyway.

Also I still dont believe we will get Asomugha but if we do that would be huge after all of these players leaving.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter
@AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Consider this a welcome-to-the-NFL moment for 49ers HC Jim Harbaugh: RB Frank Gore is planning to hold out when SF reports to camp.

19 minutes ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

http://twitter.com/#

damn that sucks about gore. he expires in 2011 and had that fat (unwarranted 
nerd.gif
) extension a few years back at about 7M/year i believe. he's probably looking for one more payday in that range, probably 5 years left in him. while he's been injured, he's still a force to be reckoned with.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter
@AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Consider this a welcome-to-the-NFL moment for 49ers HC Jim Harbaugh: RB Frank Gore is planning to hold out when SF reports to camp.

19 minutes ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

http://twitter.com/#

damn that sucks about gore. he expires in 2011 and had that fat (unwarranted 
nerd.gif
) extension a few years back at about 7M/year i believe. he's probably looking for one more payday in that range, probably 5 years left in him. while he's been injured, he's still a force to be reckoned with.

Originally Posted by acidicality

nerd.gif

Last year of contact.  He wants assurance for the future.  He's def not going to get more than he makes now unless another team overpays him. 

nerd.gif

Last year of contact.  He wants assurance for the future.  He's def not going to get more than he makes now unless another team overpays him. 

This dude Gore has been so loyal to us too, this is bad timing to do this. If I was Nnamdi I'd cross us off the list knowing Gore has been nowhere to be found since the lockout was lifted.

Come on Frank, you're hurt every season and just broke your hip last year and now you're going to try and hold out? I'm sure we'll pay him and get it figured out, but I hope he's not asking for a substantial boost in salary.

Frank has been amazing to us, but I think this would be a great opportunity to trade for a solid QB.. I almost feel bad for saying that since he's been so good to us.

On another note, did you guys know Masoli is listed as a Running Back?

This dude Gore has been so loyal to us too, this is bad timing to do this. If I was Nnamdi I'd cross us off the list knowing Gore has been nowhere to be found since the lockout was lifted.

Come on Frank, you're hurt every season and just broke your hip last year and now you're going to try and hold out? I'm sure we'll pay him and get it figured out, but I hope he's not asking for a substantial boost in salary.

Frank has been amazing to us, but I think this would be a great opportunity to trade for a solid QB.. I almost feel bad for saying that since he's been so good to us.

On another note, did you guys know Masoli is listed as a Running Back?

Nnamdi had 13 passes caught on him all of last season
eek.gif

I was sketchy about us paying so much money if we get him, but when we have a chance to land a big time game changer like this I think we haveee to go for it

Nnamdi had 13 passes caught on him all of last season
eek.gif

I was sketchy about us paying so much money if we get him, but when we have a chance to land a big time game changer like this I think we haveee to go for it

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

nerd.gif

DeAngelo Williams agrees to five-year, $43M ($21M guaranteed) contract to stay with Panthers
with this as leverage and Gore/Rosenhaus knowing that the 49ers are probably gonna need a lot of Gore....
sick.gif
eyes.gif

nerd.gif

DeAngelo Williams agrees to five-year, $43M ($21M guaranteed) contract to stay with Panthers
with this as leverage and Gore/Rosenhaus knowing that the 49ers are probably gonna need a lot of Gore....
sick.gif
eyes.gif

Baas was supposedly paid as a top 3 center in the league. He wasnt worth bringing back if that was the case.

Baas was supposedly paid as a top 3 center in the league. He wasnt worth bringing back if that was the case.

Originally Posted by offbad

nerd.gif

sick.gif
eyes.gif

sick.gif

Originally Posted by offbad

nerd.gif

sick.gif
eyes.gif

sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom