OFFICIAL 2020 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who will the four teams in the College Football Playoff be?

• Alabama

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • Clemson

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • UGA

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • LSU

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Oklahoma

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • UF

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Auburn

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Someone else

Votes: 17 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After she followed Jimbo to Texas and actually moved there, I don't even think a dude in a basement could pull something off that elaborate.

My apprehension about putting both Alabama and Clemson in the college football playoff isn't based in logic or looking at your schedule, it's primarily based on how things have worked out in prior seasons. So many times in the past, we've had heavy favorites going into the season, how often has that team (let alone two teams) been there at the end of the season? It's pretty rare. I can almost guarantee you that some team that no one is expecting will make it

Bama could go 9-3 this year and they'd bend over backwards to reason out having them as the 2 seed.

"Bama's losses were against SEC rivals on really humid days. Ohio State went 11-1 and they don't even play in the SEC, so that's like 7-5 if they played Bama's schedule!"

Bama could go 9-3 this year and they'd bend over backwards to reason out having them as the 2 seed.

"Bama's losses were against SEC rivals on really humid days. Ohio State went 11-1 and they don't even play in the SEC, so that's like 7-5 if they played Bama's schedule!"

Bama has built up such a good reputation over the last decade that they get the benefit of the doubt in most situations. for them to miss the playoffs, they would definitely have to have two losses. There's no way the committee would leave out a one-loss Bama team regardless if they won the conference or not.

Kinda hard to argue with results.

There’s a reason Bama and Clemson will get the benefit of the doubt and get in with one-loss almost regardless of anything else.

Kinda hard to argue with results.

There’s a reason Bama and Clemson will get the benefit of the doubt and get in with one-loss almost regardless of anything else.

I'm not arguing with it, they've definitely earned it. As much as we like to say that each season is completely separate, nothing is assessed in a vacuum. As much as the committee would like to talk about blind selection and taking the names off and just assessing based on resume, they don't.

That 2012 national championship game disaster is still in the committee's mind when they select Notre Dame. The Big 10 not showing up the last few years in a playoff also plays a factor when selecting Big 10 teams, it's just reality.

My apprehension about putting both Alabama and Clemson in the college football playoff isn't based in logic or looking at your schedule, it's primarily based on how things have worked out in prior seasons. So many times in the past, we've had heavy favorites going into the season, how often has that team (let alone two teams) been there at the end of the season? It's pretty rare. I can almost guarantee you that some team that no one is expecting will make it

Your thinking would make some sense if this was the BCS but there are 4 spots now. Either team can trip up now and still make it there because they are among the few teams that have enough depth and talent to win 2 games in a row against elite talent. Bama's been in every playoff and Clemson's been in 4 out of 5.

The reason why these two teams seem so out of reach right now is because not only do they have elite coaching and talent, they have elite talent at QB. Would there be any doubt that if you placed either Tua or Trevor on a teams like Cuse, Wazzu, and MSU that they wouldn't be legitimate playoff contenders?

While on the other hand Bama and Clemson would still likely be playoff contenders if the likes AJ McCarron and Kelly Bryant were at QB.

There have been like 2 or 3 pairs max made for any Jordan football school that have actually been above just okay. Incredible waste of potential for the Jordan brand with these fanbases.

@10508 cardo jr ln
@kickz4242

Georgia Practice Notes from today
Good afternoon everyone.

No sign of Jamaree Salyer or Nakobe Dean during practice today.

We understand Salyer is dealing with a lower leg issue, although the extent of the injury is not exactly clear. Coach Smart will be available after practice today. Hopefully, he will have an update.

As for Dean, we saw him working with team trainer Ron Courson during Tuesday's workout, but did not spot him today.

Something a bit unusual, running back D'Andre Swift was wearing a black jersey. First time we've seen any player other than quarterbacks wearing the black jersey, which typically is used to signify no contact.

For those wondering, Swift was still wearing full pads and going through every drill as the first team back based on the eight minutes we were out there today.

EChap-HU0AIkniF

...With Salyer out, freshman Warren McClendon was getting second-team reps at right tackle, although if it came down to it in a game situation, I'd expect Mays to slide over to tackle with Ben Cleveland at right guard.

Mays was working as the first team right guard today.

...Tight ends are repping as follows - Charlie Woerner, John FitzPatrick, Eli Wolf and Ryland Goede.

...Wide receiver groupings were as follows: Matt Landers and Tyler Simmons, Lawrence Cager and Trey Blount, Tommy Bush and George Pickens (Still wearing No. 83), Patrick Burke and Makiya Tongue.
...Demetris Robertson, Kearis Jackson and Dominick Blaylock repped in that order at slot.

From Seth Rainey

...Quarterbacks and running backs worked on their read-option handoffs with James Cook seeing more action as the "Wildcat" quarterback.

...Goede continue to wear a club over his wrist.

...D'Wan Mathis seemed to be lacking air underneath some of his passes while Jake Fromm, Stetson Bennett and company looked solid on their back-shoulder fades.

From Patrick Garbin

…According to Kirby Smart last Saturday, today’s practice was possibly the first in preparation for Vanderbilt in a week and a half. In period 2—the first of our viewing—the head coach was overseeing the same 7-on-7 read-and-react drill we’ve often seen during fall camp.

…I noticed old Georgia coach Jon Fabris observing practice. Fabris’ coaching career began around 1980 and concluded last season at Kansas State. He was at Georgia from 2001-2009.

…In the aforementioned drill, it was run similar to before. The quarterbacks, along with running back James Cook, took snaps from the shotgun and either handed it off or kept it. For what it’s worth, the running back rotation was as follows: D’Andre Swift who, as Dash mentioned, was wearing a black jersey, which is usually worn by the quarterbacks—Kenny McIntosh—Brian Herrien—Zamir White—Prather Hudson. As for the quarterbacks, besides Stetson Bennett and, today, Nathan Priestley, they seemingly always hand off. On the contrary, Cook always keeps the ball, and Bennett and Priestley keep it about half the time.

…In a passing drill for period 3, the quarterbacks alternated throwing to receivers running medium and long routes. “Air it out! Air it out, D’Wan!” OC James Coley hollered after quarterback D’Wan Mathis threw a long pass in which the receiver had to wait on to catch.

…I watched the defensive side of the field only for a moment, noticing the inside linebackers rotation minus Nakobe Dean: Tae Crowder and Monty Rice—Channing Tindall and Quay Walker—Rian Davis and Nate McBride.

Cliffs

• Utah St QB Jordan Love threw the best ball at the Manning Camp (he's a RS Jr FWIW). DJ's got him in the same cluster as Tua and Herbert http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...7616063=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral. The LSU game is going to be big for him.
  • There's some old heads who predictably don't like Tua because of his size and arm strength.
  • Teams like Nate Stanley, one scout has him right behind Tua and Herbert.
  • Fromm is unsurprisingly a polarizing prospect.
  • Teams liked what they saw out of Eason during their trips to UW last season.

Fine and King still aren't getting any love :smh:

“Tu’a’s size and arm strength”? They think he has a weak arm?

They like what they see out of Eason, mainly that he’s tall and hhwite. They still don’t get it.

Justin Herbert is horrifically overrated as a college QB. I get why he’s a pro quarterback, but he isn’t even the best QB in his division.

@casper90403 I went back and looked the practice notes and what people there posted and seems Slovis was the clear #2 in practice but didn’t do well in the 2-3 scrimmages. Sears was inconsistent in both practices and scrimmages so Fink probably should have been the names the #2 but I get wanting to give it to the freshman in that scenario.

Sucks for Matt though. He went 10-10 for 2 TDs in the 2nd of the 3 scrimmages while Kedon struggled. Jack it sounds like has been a 1 read and take off QB a lot of camp which Graham didn’t like.

As a bonus laugh, your guy Scott Wolf tweeted on Tuesday morning that assistant coaches told him that Helton was not going to release a depth chart because he’s a coward, but that he was pressing to name Matt Fink #2 even though they didn’t want to.
AB2007AB-0671-43ED-B094-4A1E50D6F37F.jpeg

The team names Slovis the QB and he flips it to, “I heard Helton forced them to pick Slovis even though they didn’t want to.”

Dudes been banned from practice for 3 years. He has no idea how any of the QBs performed :lol:

Last edited:

They like what they see out of Eason, mainly that he’s tall and hhwite. They still don’t get it.

Justin Herbert is horrifically overrated as a college QB. I get why he’s a pro quarterback, but he isn’t even the best QB in his division.

Tua's arm is average. The accuracy and anticipation more than make up for it, but he doesn't have the arm strength that other similar sized guys like Russell, Kyler and Baker have.

Herbert is overrated, but he's still better than Costello. Dillon Mitchell barley got drafted that receiving corps was(is?) trash.

It's funny because scouts always use the same coded language. "He looks the part" or he "looks like a first round QB". :lol:

He's a ba white dude whose semi-accurate, that's it. This is how Daniel Jones gets selected ahead of Dwayne Haskins

Tua's arm is average. The accuracy and anticipation more than make up for it, but he doesn't have the arm strength that other similar sized guys like Russell, Kyler and Baker have.

Herbert is overrated, but he's still better than Costello. Dillon Mitchell barley got drafted that receiving corps was(is?) trash.

But that's all projection right? What's your favorite Justin Herbert performance against a good opponent (not named Utah)? Costello spent the last two years spamming slants and fades but I still don't know that Herbert is better than him. Costello was slinging it while getting killed in the pocket last year. Herbert was untouched and still never "wowed" me. I really do think all the hype on him comes from his two good games in 2016 vs. Cal and Arizona and a bunch of sports people wanting to be early to hop on his train and not wanting to be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom