Official 2019 Boxing Thread: 12/28 - Davis vs. Gamboa, Pascal vs. Jack SHO

Who will be the winner of the Kovalev vs. Canelo fight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can't say anything regarding longevity but which of those fights are you speaking of? Manny didn't win against Floyd
That was the exception. I was keeping track for a while, I remember Lomachenko beating Russell and there were a few others...

Last edited:
Hate him or love him, Bob Arum is the greatest boxing promoter ever.

The shear amount of legitimate stars that TR has built and promoted makes it not even close.

Bob definitely had a hand in shrinking the sports visibility to the general public, and legitimizing "short term greed" mindset that has taken over the sport for a while now (Eddie choosing KSA for the rematch is a good example of this) but he is the best ever and still the best right now IMO.

Great performance from Vergil Ortiz Jr. Man the young bul is holding it right now.

There's also a reason why the 3 highest grossing Boxers ever all left him, Floyd, Manny, Oscar, he's shady as ****
Arum built those fighters into superstars. There is no other promoter that comes close to his track record. His shady reputation is well known and the same can be said about almost every boxing promoter. We can make the case that he did not maximize FMJ. Nevertheless there isn't a promoter who has had his hand in more of the biggest boxing superstars and biggest fights in history.

:lol: Al is the reason Beyonce ended up suing her own father.

These guys don't get to where they're at by being morally competent actors. It's one of the main reasons why rooting for promoters is lame as hell.

There's also a reason why the 3 highest grossing Boxers ever all left him, Floyd, Manny, Oscar, he's shady as ****

You cant deny the fact that arum groomed them into superstars shady or not. You think they wouldve gotten to where they were without bob?

Ethics and promoting is two total separate things. In the boxing world, its rare that you get both.

Last edited:
Floyd didn't start making big money til he got out from under Arum. I still remember in the late 90s when Floyd was trying to beg Prince Naseem for a big money fight trying to ask for it at a 128 lb catchweight since Floyd was at 130 and Naz at 126. Floyd was barely making $500k purses at that time while Naz was the money man making the forbes list as a FW which to this day he's the only 1 thats done it at the weight class. Floyd executed the heel role himself and Al Haymon negotiated the deals with Showtime etc. I don't think Arum should get any credit, if anything Oscar can maybe get a bit since Floyd beating him took him to another level and was the last time Floyd was B side to anyone

Arum built those fighters into superstars. There is no other promoter that comes close to his track record. His shady reputation is well known and the same can be said about almost every boxing promoter. We can make the case that he did not maximize FMJ. Nevertheless there isn't a promoter who has had his hand in more of the biggest boxing superstars and biggest fights in history.

I think we can all agree that Bob didn’t maximize Floyd and Floyd was right for leaving, but there is no guarantee Floyd develops into the fighter he was without TR’s matchmaking which is the best thing they do.

Floyd didn't start making big money til he got out from under Arum. I still remember in the late 90s when Floyd was trying to beg Prince Naseem for a big money fight trying to ask for it at a 128 lb catchweight since Floyd was at 130 and Naz at 126. Floyd was barely making $500k purses at that time while Naz was the money man making the forbes list as a FW which to this day he's the only 1 thats done it at the weight class. Floyd executed the heel role himself and Al Haymon negotiated the deals with Showtime etc. I don't think Arum should get any credit, if anything Oscar can maybe get a bit since Floyd beating him took him to another level and was the last time Floyd was B side to anyone
The De La Hoya fight put Mayweather over with the general public. But then Arum also has to get some credit for developing De La Hoya into a PPV attraction. We can only speculate how FMJ would've turned out if he stayed with Arum. Top Rank had Cotto, Margarito, and Pacquiao who were bigger draws than all of the top Welterweights of today. We don't know what exactly Arums plans were, but it is pretty obvious that he was going to matchup FMJ with his stable. Maybe Arum would've been more open to making De La Hoya-Mayweather a little later. We did get to see De La Hoya-Pacquiao. During the few years that the public was clamoring for Mayweather-Pacquiao, the fans bought both of their PPV's in anticipation of them fighting eachother next. Floyd going the heel route was probably his own doing, but Arum created his biggest adversary.

Back
Top Bottom