OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Idk why Jedd would leave the Rams for basically the same situation he walked into at UCLA. He's bound to get an NFL OC job in the next year by just being associated with McVay if he stays.

Greg Biggins:

"Something I haven't seen posted but USC gave Bru a full release from his LOI. That's big in terms of gaining immediate eligibility. Now the family still has to petition the NCAA to get this year back since he already started classes at SC but there is some confidence in the family that he could be eligible this fall. Had USC chosen not to release him, he would have had to sit out the year 100%, one big hurdle down, one more to go with NCAA appeal."

"they met for four hours yesterday and Clay didn't have to do this, it's a huge black mark for him to lose a player like Bru but told the family, I would never do anything to hurt you guys or block you from doing what you want, you're always family to us."

Last edited:
Crazy that USC has never finished below #13 in recruiting and lower than 2nd in the Pac 12.

Crazy that USC has never finished below #13 in recruiting and lower than 2nd in the Pac 12.

They’ve also never not signed a composite 5 star.

Clancy Pendergast, Johnny Baxter, Neil Callaway, Ronnie Bradford: “Hold our beers”

Last edited:
Yea, heard Abraham say that on the Audible with Feldman. More of a dumpster fire than I even realized. Apparently Harrell turned y'all down? Not sure why Fisch would go there either, forgot about the Drevno issues at Michigan.

Oh, Jimbo has those bags flying. Bet that. :lol: :lol:
:lol: Like Jimbo came to A&M to get short-changed on the recruiting budget. :lol:

2020 class in Texas is going to be nuuuuuuts. A real blood bath. Going to be really interesting to see if Texas and A&M can keep Oklahoma, LSU, Bama and OSU out of the state in the near future.

This Bru McCoy **** is wild... The NCAA's going to have to find a way to reign this in at some level or it's really going to get ugly. Problem is, at this point, I don't really know how you do it. Especially if you're granting immediate eligibility/releases from LOI's after a kid enrolls.

They're definitely going to have to snuff out the secretly sign an LOI but announce 3 weeks later nonsense.

Yea, heard Abraham say that on the Audible with Feldman. More of a dumpster fire than I even realized. Apparently Harrell turned y'all down? Not sure why Fisch would go there either, forgot about the Drevno issues at Michigan.

Because it's still USC and Fisch has been trying to get there for the past 2 years. With a competent offense they're hands down the best team in the Pac every year. Bro, Kayvon Thibodeaux is the only composite 5-star Pac 12 commit. The conference is bad.

:lol: Like Jimbo came to A&M to get short-changed on the recruiting budget. :lol:

2020 class in Texas is going to be nuuuuuuts. A real blood bath. Going to be really interesting to see if Texas and A&M can keep Oklahoma, LSU, Bama and OSU out of the state in the near future.

This Bru McCoy **** is wild... The NCAA's going to have to find a way to reign this in at some level or it's really going to get ugly. Problem is, at this point, I don't really know how you do it. Especially if you're granting immediate eligibility/releases from LOI's after a kid enrolls.

They're definitely going to have to snuff out the secretly sign an LOI but announce 3 weeks later nonsense.

SC's going to be dipping into Texas with Jinks next year. Especially after the **** UT has been pulling on the west coast this season.

It wasn't just Bru. Noa Pola Gates picture messaged an LOI to Nebraska then claimed he never signed one and still kept speaking to SC and Ohio State coaches and had them in-home. And again, Trey Sanders...

There are people at SC that wanted Helton to block the transfer and go after Texas for tampering. Whatever.

Because it's still USC and Fisch has been trying to get there for the past 2 years. With a competent offense they're hands down the best team in the Pac every year. Bro, Kayvon Thibodeaux is the only composite 5-star Pac 12 commit. The conference is bad.

Yea, but Helton is likely coaching for his job, no? Fisch isn't getting the SC job if Helton fails. Just seems like he'd be silly to leave the Rams to walk into this situation right now.

Yea, but Helton is likely coaching for his job, no? Fisch isn't getting the SC job if Helton fails. Just seems like he'd be silly to leave the Rams to walk into this situation right now.

Man Kliff Kingsbury just got a NFL HC job off the strength of being Sean McVay's drinking buddy for 1 month. Jedd lives in LA, wants to stay in LA, wants to call plays and has college and NFL OC offers right now and he isn't doing anything but gameplanning for the Rams. He'll be fine whether he decides to come to SC or stay another year with LAR.

Anything bad that comes of his SC tenure will be shouldered Helton the sin-eater anyway, and if they started 1-4, he'll be named the interim and we know how SC loves their interim coaches. He's pretty open about the SC HC position being his dream job in college or the pros.

Man Kliff Kingsbury just got a NFL HC job off the strength of being Sean McVay's drinking buddy for 1 month. Jedd lives in LA, wants to stay in LA, wants to call plays and has college and NFL OC offers right now and he isn't doing anything but gameplanning for the Rams. He'll be fine whether he decides to come to SC or stay another year with LAR.
I guess that's my point though. :lol: I'm hitching my wagon to McVay rather than Helton's sinking ship. I get that he wants to call plays and live in LA, though.

Is SC going to have competent players & coaches on both lines next season?
A breakdown:
HC - Helton is competent and imo the best recruiter in college football but he's overly loyal to a fault. He's basically Mark Richt. He'll take the whole ship down to do right by a kid or keep a promise. He also, to his credit and criticism, runs an annoyingly clean program (See: Bru McCoy, Toa Lobendahn, Bubba Bolden, Levi Jones, Jack Jones). For all of USC's crack smoking Medical school deans, you won't see a scandal out of Clay but he also won't bench or process a player he should.

OC - ??? If Fisch or Dave Nichol from Wazzu (or Todd Haley... lololol) the offense will be in good hands. No hire will make up for the hurt feelings and bitterness over Kingsbury though.

DC - Clancy Pendergast is one of the best DCs in college, idc idc idc. He was the Cardinals DC in the steelers superbowl in 09. He annoyingly doesn't rotate, tends to only play guys he trusts, leaves corners on islands and lives and dies by the blitz, but he's a great defensive coach. He doesn't recruit, period though, and doesn't really feel pressured to live up to fan expectations on that front because he comes from old family money and just coaches at SC because hes friends with Clay and likes it in LA. He's been trying to go back to the NFL for over a year.

WR - Keary Colbert was a dope receiver, hardworker, and fundamentally meticulous. Also a great recruiter. He's only a 2nd year position coach though, so who knows if he can teach yet. In theory he SHOULD be a coaching upgrade to Tee since he actually played the position and he's actually from So. Cal. and played at SC so he should be a great recruiter. We'll see.

TE/ST - John Baxter. *Fart noise*

RB - Mike Jinks is exciting. State championship HS coach in TX. Coached I think the best run game in TTU's history with Kliff (Deandre Washington was a 1400 yard rusher I think?) Seems to be a strong recruiter and has HC experience so he should be able to step in when Clay is messing up the money. You'd hope. Also he's put a ton of offers out in Texas and we've been eyeing getting back in there. **** a UT.

OL - Tim Drevno's fine. Older players hate him. Still he coached the only competent SC o line in the past 7-8 years, and that was with 4 freshman starters. Seems to recruit fine. He flipped a few kids in a short period once given the job but parents were wary of the quick turnarounds and wouldn't sign LOIs (see Jonah Tauanua) Bobby Layne Bobby Layne can speak more on this.

DB - Greg Burns was the DB coach on the national title teams. He's bounced around a lot cuz he has a tendency to take ****** jobs where the HC gets fired in 1-2 years. I like the little I've seen this go around, he recruits hard, is from the East Coast and has flipped a few kids (Briton Allen from GT, and soon to be Adonis Otey from Arkansas). Our last DB coach was a good coach but literally did zero recruiting. All DBs were being recruited by Gavin Morris, 1 of the 3 support staff people we have. Chris Steele said he'd literally never spoken to him at the time of his commitment. They only met and spoke when Steele came to campus.

DL - Lost Kenechi who I liked a lot and who was a great recruiter. Got Chad Kauha'aha'a (coach k cuz I'm never typing that again) to come over from Boise. He seems competent. Boise's D line was really good. He also recruits poly kids fairly well. (He's a Johnny Nansen guy and hire.)

OLB - Joe Deforest. Played LB in the NFL but hasn't coached LBs since 2000. Was a really good ST coach at Oklahoma State and at Kansas (whats the name of the Kansas NTER again?)

ILB - Johnny Nansen - Best poly recruiter in the country. Probably next in line to be the SC defensive coordinator. Seems like a good linebackers coach. The position certainly played well the past several years.

QB - ????? Gonna be whoever the OC hire is, or ... Helton? If the latter, eww.

Sorry for the long post, but it was kinda cathartic. TGIF

I think it’s going to make even less kids sign a LOI going forward and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the NCAA try to make the Financial Aid Agreements that the EE kids sign more binding

Lol at Shawn Robinson. Why is he transferring to Mizzou just to fumble behind Kelly Bryant?

————

Last edited:
I think people were clowning AM for being a substitute teacher on Twitter after AM posted a pic of his susbtitute ID. Anyway, AM started firing back, too.

Hope Manny has those boys ready on 8/31, a lot of gum flapping going on since those Gorman boys transfered in.
Bubba chirping the most and he ain't even on campus yet. :lol:
What’s happening there? Gorman boys swarming on Ahmad Black? He was nice in NCAA 09.
Somebody posted Bubba's high school highlights and Bubba retweeted it saying "Florida ain't ready". A bunch of Florida players and Ahmad Black clown him for it being high school highlights and Black clowns him for 7 tackles as a freshman. The war goes from there.

dacomeup dacomeup how good is Bubba, I’ve never taken the time to watch any tape on him. Hope he’s not another Vaughn Telemaque...
Honestly, nako xl nako xl probably better to answer this one because I don't even pay attention to those West Coast recruits like that :lol:. Seems really athletic and can tackle. Not sure how he is in coverage and how his ball skills are though.

Back
Top Bottom