**OFFICIAL 2019 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD**

Which team will win the 2018-2019 NBA Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Russell and Boston: Unfinished business

“Bill Russell got tagged with being antiwhite and rude and everything else,” [Tommy] Heinsohn says, “but all he really wanted to do was be recognized as an individual. He had been slighted several times, and he was smart enough to recognize it.” It should never be said that Russell handled these moments with humility. Drawing inspiration from his grandfather, who stared down the Klan, and from Martin Luther King and Malcolm X, Russell responded to the basest levels of racism with defiance -- which tended to only further infuriate his critics. The cycle went on and on.

Russell played for the Celtics, he liked to say, making sure to leave out “Boston.” And when his playing days were over, he relocated to Mercer Island, near Seattle, about as far from the Hub as he could physically get.
http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/22224/bill-russell-and-boston-unfinished-business

Reactions: JPS

The probably of the next shot going in drops each time a new shot is made. ESPN wrote an article about this that was pretty interesting. I’ll try to dig it up

How long does “being in the zone” last? Do you just keep shooting all night and never miss? Do you know you’re in the zone before you take a shot? Or do you hit 5 shots in a row and say you’re now in a zone?

100000 percent. it's definitely real. I've experienced it throughout my life in different sports, where you just lock in and everything slows down. Hoops is like no other though because you have the greatest stake and control. I still zone now. Not all of the time, but here and there. Where it just feel like your shooting at a hoola hoop in an empty gym. Defenses cant stop you and they know it. Crowd waiting to play next getting hyped. Every shot is a heat check, and you're sweltering. And its a tangible thing. You definitely know when you're zoned and when you're not. Some days you'll still shoot well, thats an ode to the practice and muscle memory, but the rhythm still feels a bit off; shots may go in, but its not that special golden boy vibe of being in kill mode, so you're less likely to take the more risky shots. Thing is, the flamethrower can strike at any time. You can be having a terrible day, and still randomly find the range and its over. I've had plenty of games where I just wasnt feeling it, and then have b2b games of 14 when we only going to 15.

I always patterned my games after my favorite players, mike, kobe, even threw in some bron the last few years on the account of full game control as far as points and boards and facilitating and because of my body. As I gotten older, I've adopted other styles. Harden size up moves and cp3 side step 3 have been huge additions for me. One of my favorite players to model has been klay. Constant movement, coming off screens, random cuts. Staying mindful that no matter how i take the shot, to square my shoulders. I'm really athletic and a natural shooter/scorer, so shooting more and driving less has been an easy transition.

Way back Wednesday for some “in the zone” moments from the Best PG in the game. Before he had, quote on quote “haaaalllp” and had to “carry a team” :rolleyes

Oscar Robertson still feels sting of racism from high school days

Oscar Robertson’s high school team in Indianapolis was the first all-black basketball team in the nation to win a state title. What should have been a joyous culmination to that 1955 season became a seminal moment in the life of a young man who would become an NBA legend.

Tradition had the winning team climbing aboard a fire engine and being lauded downtown in Monument Circle. That was the route taken when Milan High, the team that inspired the 1986 film “Hoosiers,’’ won the title in 1954.

But not this time, not with this team, which was quickly shuttled past the Circle. “Since we were black,’’ Robertson said recently from Cincinnati, “they decided we were going to tear up the town and they took us to an all-black community center.’’ https://www.newsday.com/sports/bask...ng-of-racism-from-high-school-days-1.13067419

The probably of the next shot going in drops each time a new shot is made. ESPN wrote an article about this that was pretty interesting. I’ll try to dig it up

An article about the hot hand written by someone who has never had a hot hand?

66898042-6B4D-4E77-85B5-EB709AB2D1E5.png

that doesnt even make sense. Maybe in a vacuum, but one shot has nothing to do with the other, logistically. Each shot is independent on the one before it. A lot of it is mental. It's why the great shooters always are said to 'have no conscious, and forget the missed shot as soon as it leaves their hands, and are already on to the next'

Did they mean a shot be made or a shot being taken? Figuring maybe they're tallying energy expenditure...but aside from that...the graph was probs made by dudes that dont hoop, trying to tell shooters they can shoot, but they can't really shoot.

How long does “being in the zone” last? Do you just keep shooting all night and never miss? Do you know you’re in the zone before you take a shot? Or do you hit 5 shots in a row and say you’re now in a zone?

This will sound like a cop out answer, but you just know. It’s a feeling.

been in a zone like once or twice.

at some points you just throwing stuff up, often stuff you'd never take, and it will go in :lol:

that doesnt even make sense. Maybe in a vacuum, but one shot has nothing to do with the other, logistically. Each shot is independent on the one before it. A lot of it is mental. It's why the great shooters always are said to 'have no conscious, and forget the missed shot as soon as it leaves their hands, and are already on to the next'

Did they mean a shot be made or a shot being taken? Figuring maybe they're tallying energy expenditure...but aside from that...the graph was probs made by dudes that dont hoop, trying to tell shooters they can shoot, but they can't really shoot.

4A5F1F90-FA1E-4EC0-B33E-7313BF310F67.jpeg

"Say Steph Curry has taken 100 shots in a row ..." he begins.

Miller, with piercing emerald eyes and long, professorial wavy brown hair, looks down as he draws X's and O's in a long sequence. In this hypothetical, Curry is positioned on the court where he'd make half his shots like flipping a coin. "Put him at half court or something," Miller says with a laugh.

He draws brackets underneath strings of three X's, signifying a trio of makes, then draws an arrow on the fourth shot of the sequence. The fourth shot is important here, it seems.

"You select each shot in which Curry hit the previous three shots and write it down on a piece of paper -- whether it was a make or miss -- and put each piece of paper in a bucket," Miller says. "He makes three in a row anywhere in the sequence, you put that fourth shot in a bucket."

After then, after drawing a series of brackets and arrows on the line of X's and O's, he looks up and poses a simple question: "If you reached into the bucket and pulled out a shot at random, what are the chances it's a make?" Miller asks.

I begin to panic. The answer seems obvious. The hot hand is a fallacy, right? It's 50-50, no different from a coin flip. Still, I have a creeping sense that my answer is wrong. Or why would he be doing this?

"Fifty-fifty," I say.

It is wrong. According to Miller, in this hypothetical, with Curry shooting from a 50-50 spot, if you study the fourth shots that follow three makes in a row, the probability that those fourth shots are makes is ... lower. In fact, he says, it's 46 percent, in the case of 100 shots, for example.

And now I am Neo, downing the red pill. Everything I believe is suddenly wrong. I ask Miller: Why isn't it 50-50? He replies that a subtle but substantial selection bias exists when picking out shots to look at that are conditional on the outcomes of other shots within the same sequence. In this case, the condition "given three hits in a row" actually changes the game and suppresses the likelihood that the fourth shot turns up as a hit.

klay being the only guy with 9+ 4 times tells me that he is the human personification of a microwave lol

also bron having gon 8+ 5 times is crazy lol
pardon my quick maths if i'm counting that wrong lol

Spoken like a true Melo fan. A lot of things are starting to make more sense now.
Lol dweebs always gotta resort to random irrelevant **** when they don't have a legit rebuttal. I'm flattered u remember I'm a melo fan tho I'm guessing ur one of the haters like that guy who had the pete Carroll avy

Than again we got folks in here debating whether the hot hand is a real thing so I'ma get lost u kids play nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom