**OFFICIAL 2019 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD**

Which team will win the 2018-2019 NBA Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a really complex, multilayered problem. LA is in the midst of a full-blown homeless crisis. There is a tent village of homeless people living under the freeway underpass nearest my house. I’m talking like 20 tents in a one block area. I encounter them every day. There are a few that truly just fell on hard times, a few that have chosen that lifestyle, but the majority either have some form of mental illness and/or are addicted to drugs.

I’m on 5th & Towne every Tuesday to volunteer at a feeding program.

Going thru Skid Row and interacting with the homeless community gives me a perspective on life. I’ve learned to live life with a sense of gratitude and appreciation.

Homelessness is such a deep rooted issue, especially in LA. While mental illness and drugs are contributing factors, the housing market is causing normal folks to become homeless.

I'm hoping to move in a few months on my own for the first time. I'll be happy if I can find a decent place for $1,300 a month (NOVA).

I'll be happy if I can find a decent place for $1,300 a month (NOVA).

tenor.gif

:lol: Jesus... My mortgage on a 3/2 is like 950 a month in North Dallas. Yall California dudes got it rough.

It's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. The jobs in California do pay you more, in some cases considerably more. For example my fiance is a legal assistant/paralegal and when she was in San Francisco the going rate was $85k-$95k. Now that we're back in Atlanta, that same role with similar experience level goes for $55k-$65k.

Reactions: MVP
It’s pretty wild...I got a friend who moved down to Houston recently. Dude got a high rise luxury condo in Uptown neighborhood and paying 1,800/mo with no roommates.

Same condo would probably cost 3.5-4k/mo in NYC, Boston, LA, etc.

I always get a laugh at the comparisons for cost of living for some remote place vs. major city

There’s a reason Houston is cheap compared to those cities :lol:

Man what a coincidence.

Been looking at some 2 bedrooms in Queens, NY. Being in close proximity to my parents is huge once kids come into play. Mortgage for a 2 bedroom in the areas i'm looking at for a damn Co-op is close to $1600. Combine that with a maintenance of $800.

I'll be paying $2400 for a 2 bedroom apt in some garbage building :smh:

Shooters shoot. Chumps sit on the sidelines scared.

All this Not Basketball Related talk... :lol: We need a free agency story to break.
Fair. The situations in Boston and Philly weren't remotely the same as Toronto though.

I'm almost positive Boston would've had to have moved one of Kyrie/Horford/Hayward's contracts to take on Kawhi's, in addition to Jaylen and whatever else, which we don't know because there are no specifics. Don't really think the market for Hayward coming off a broken leg was there.

Not exactly as plugged in to what Philly's situation was.

Toronto had a maxed out squad with the veteran DeRozan/Lowry duo which clearly wasn't getting over the hump. The opportunity cost was a bit different for them because they didn't have to give up any valuable (and cheap) young pieces. The worst case scenario for them was that they wouldn't win a ring and Kawhi would dip to LA, but they wouldn't be locked into the same core any longer and could re-build.

Kawhi was also coming off a season where he played 9 games, had an injury that was a bit of a mystery, and was forcing himself out of a franchise that at the time many thought couldn't do any wrong. There were definitely red flags. In the end, Toronto made the gamble, and it worked out.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Moms got a 4br/2.5 bath in a nice area and mortgage payment is only 1,200/mo.
You gotta enter a lottery for a rent stabilized studio or 1br apartment for $1200/month in NYC :sick::smh:
I tell the story all the time about someone I knew who went from a roach infested apartment in the bronx to a nice house in an ATL suburb.
Had me amazed at all she had down there (big backyard, nice lawn, garage, driveway), compared to what she had up here which was nothing.

Oh Lord, I know exactly where this topic is going. It's about to get real ignorant as people defend where they're from or where they live. :lol:

I grew up in Atlanta and lived in Rhode island, Seattle and the Bay area. Honestly all those areas are great and have advantages. I loved living in California, I prefer to SoCal to NorCal. I totally get why people move to California and never leave, that being said it is ridiculously expensive oh and I also understand why people choose to live in other places solely for financial reasons.

IMO, if you have the money California >>>>> anywhere else in the country but you can get more bang for your buck in other cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom