Official 2019 OFFSEASON New York Yankees Thread: COLE OR STRAUS

Can’t believe he made it home. He’s slow as ****

Probably got hurt too, we’ll hear tomorrow

Hahahahaha, I don't even know what to say. I can just laugh at this ****in joke of a season so far. Guy tore his shoulder sliding back to base awkwardly. Un ****in real.

Pitching was good today, bats were still trash.

giphy-90.gif

Game four of 162. Relax.

It’s a disaster because

1. Didi is out until probably August
2. Hicks injured
3. Stanton bicep injury.
4. Severino shoulder
5. Betances injured
6. Andujar could be out for the season
7. CC dealing with injury 1 this year

That’s almost 1/3 of the roster already dealing with injuries, 4 games in. That’s a disaster.

Has nothing to do with the play of the team. Injuries by itself are already really bad.

It’s a disaster because

1. Didi is out until probably August
2. Hicks injured
3. Stanton bicep injury.
4. Severino shoulder
5. Betances injured
6. Andujar could be out for the season
7. CC dealing with injury 1 this year

That’s almost 1/3 of the roster already dealing with injuries, 4 games in. That’s a disaster.

Has nothing to do with the play of the team. Injuries by itself are already really bad.

1. Who said Didi was out until August? Are we assuming it’s a full year before he’s cleared to play? If that’s the case then that’s wrong, because TJ recovery for a position player and a pitcher are completely different. The Yankees and Didi have also said sooner than that.

2. Hicks being out let’s you get Frazier and Wade back up and seeing at bats. Hell, if Frazier didn’t have the concussion issues last year, he’d probably had been a major part of the team last year because he was looking solid.

3. Grade 1 Biceps Strain, isn’t super

4. Yes the injury sucks, but word hasn’t been he’s missing the majority of the season. Again better to miss time early in the season, than the time that really matters. Also allows your depth German, Luis Cessa, even Gio Gonzalez (the first two had pretty great spring trainings) to assert themselves and eat innings. There’s even a guy, Jordan Montgomery, who should be on the backend of his TJ rehab that could contribute soon.

5. Yes it hurts having Betances out, but hi Ottavino, Britton, Green. Not every team loses a guy like that for a period of time and have the luxury of three others that could fill in.

6. DJ LeMahieu says hi. Yes it hurts losing Andijar’s bat. But it’s a good thing we signed DJ when we did. Nice to have a career .300 hitter there if we need it.

7. See number 4.

Again, game 4 of 162 and hopefully more.

August for Didi would give him a 9-1/2 month timetable. Which falls in line with most position players who have had Tommy John.

Hicks injury means Gardner plays. And sure Clint can play. But Tyler Wade is no Hicks. He’s not a replacement for Hicks. Frazier is also only playing because Stanton is out. Frazier is no replacement for Stanton. Luckily for Stanton it shouldn’t be a long thing.

Nobody even knows what’s wrong with Severino. They just know it’s his shoulder. Again, we shouldn’t have Cessa, German pitching this early in the season. Jordan Montgomery had surgery in June. He’s not close to ready. We’re probably a couple months out at least from him being back from his surgery.

We didn’t sign Ottavino to fill in for injuries. Sure with the bullpen we have, we can afford to weather injuries... But losing a Betances isn’t losing just the 5th or 6th guy in the pen. You could argue that he’s our best reliever.

I’ll reserve judgement on DJ. But I’ll take Andujar’s bat over his.

CC can be replaced by back end fill in guys. But that argument can be made for him. Not for Severino

The initial report on Didi when he had the surgery said he could be back by All star break. Reports since then have said possibly June. No, Wade isn’t Hicks, but Wade was having a pretty damn good spring that brought back talk of how he was one of the Yankees top prospects. Losing Hicks’ glove hurts, but if he can get on base like Hicks at better then a .250 BA Hicks gives you, even better. Of course you’d take Andujar because we’re all prisoners of the moment. Had a hell of a season last year and is young and exciting. But DJ isn’t some chump. He won a batting title and is a career .300 hitter. It’s nice to have that just Incase.

No, the Yankees didn’t sign Ottavino to fill in for injuries. They signed him for depth, but also Incase injuries or down years (i.e. Kahnle last year) occur. Don’t get it confused, Ottavino was a luxury signing. He wasn’t, at the time, a need especially after resigning Britton. Ottavino was used in the setup role and was one of the best relievers in the game last year. He helps take pressure off oh Betances injury. Do you you want these young guys being tested this early? No, you never do. But it happened. I mean I’d say it was somewhat of a needed win tonight and German held it down.

But sure thing man. You want to find something negative out of every positive, go ahead. Great teams find a way to play and win through these type of things. This team is very capable of doing that. But to hear you ramble at game 4 of the season, as if it’s time to pack up and wait for next year, is a bit much. I guess one of the few things you can take solace in is it looks like the Red Sox about to lose again tonight.

Andujar, Stanton, Hicks, Didi, Betances, and Severino being out hurts no matter when it happens. That's six All-Star level players.

Sure it's early but we could very easily fall behind.

Never said it doesn’t hurt. Just think it’s a bit of an overreaction to act as if the season is over at game four of the regular season.

i know its only game 4 of 162 but we never know howmuch the medical staff are downsizing/downplaying these injuries. If later on Sevarino is still experiencing discomfort then we gotta accept the fact we wont go far without an "ace"

Yea it does suck that depth is being tested early on. Maybe you could sweep in and get Keuchel on the low. Living in Houston and watching him pitch, he is a workhorse and will eat innings.

the yanks aint gon give up a draft pick to sign keuschel... it would make sense to pick him up but i doubt it... they are rolling the dice on gio

the yanks aint gon give up a draft pick to sign keuschel... it would make sense to pick him up but i doubt it... they are rolling the dice on gio

If he waits and signs after a certain date, they won’t have to give up a draft pick. It’s probably was he hasn’t signed yet anyways.

Back
Top Bottom