Official 2019 OFFSEASON New York Yankees Thread: COLE OR STRAUS

Letting Didi walk is bad news. They’ll likely field 8 RH bats in that lineup. With Tauchman being the only LH. It’s such a bad idea.

Andujar cannot Play 3B at any cost. He’s so significantly bad at 3B, he made the entire IF defense in 2018 to be bad. I wish I had the Sharp Stats podcast from Talkin Yanks where they discussed how significantly Andujar hurt double plays for the Yankees.

Also why put Torres at SS where there’s a higher likelihood of wear and tear. When he can stay at 2B. And DJ can be 1B.

if you can get Didi for $12mil. Take it. There’s no damn reason they can’t other than cheap.

C- Sanchez
1B- DJL
2B- Torres
SS- Didi
3B - Gio
LF - Stanton
CF - Tauchman
RF - Judge
DH - Andujar

C - Higgy
1B/DH - Voit
OF - Clint
UTL - Wade

And there’s so much overlap between 1B, 2B, SS, 3B and DH that Voit can still get 100+ games.

Even with Andujars bad fielding he literally had nothing to do with our Playoff exit in 2018 and with him gone in 2019 we still didn’t make it. His defensive Flaws are severely overstated and have literally cost us no games that actually mattered.

Even with Andujars bad fielding he literally had nothing to do with our Playoff exit in 2018 and with him gone in 2019 we still didn’t make it. His defensive Flaws are severely overstated and have literally cost us no games that actually mattered.

That’s why he’s the every day DH. Because he can hit and is an XBH machine.
His fielding issues are not overstated, it’s really bad especially when in comparison to Gio just on the fielding side.

i say you put gio at third with with dj at second or short and andujar at first...hicks is the main center fielder but since hes out you put frazier there... i dont see how gleyber cant play short when its his natural position... and jeter had a long career playing short dont know why gleyber cant have the same longevity... i dont want to get rid of didi because his defense is great and its good to have a lefty hitter in the lineup... but if you have to sacrifice him to land cole or strasburg you do it 10/10... i think they will give him a long deal with reasonable contract similar to hicks...if they dont pickup a starter this winter i see the lineup like this... our starting pitching would be real solid though if you can get cole or strasburg and still keep dellin in the bullpen

1. sevy
2. paxton
3. tanaka
4. german
5. montgomery

Didi or Dellin don’t prevent Cole or Strausberg. Being cheap does and/or not getting rid of redundant players.... I’m looking strongly at Happ

MLB trade rumors did their Top 50 Free Agents with predictions

Didi to the Reds 3 year / $42mil
Dellin to the Rays 1 year / $7mil

The only guy we sign in the top 50 is Brett Gardner for 1year/$10mil

I swear to god, if this happens like that. SMH

i say you put gio at third with with dj at second or short and andujar at first...hicks is the main center fielder but since hes out you put frazier there... i dont see how gleyber cant play short when its his natural position... and jeter had a long career playing short dont know why gleyber cant have the same longevity... i dont want to get rid of didi because his defense is great and its good to have a lefty hitter in the lineup... but if you have to sacrifice him to land cole or strasburg you do it 10/10... i think they will give him a long deal with reasonable contract similar to hicks...if they dont pickup a starter this winter i see the lineup like this... our starting pitching would be real solid though if you can get cole or strasburg and still keep dellin in the bullpen

1. sevy
2. paxton
3. tanaka
4. german
5. montgomery
that is not a good number one our "ace" would be a 2 or 3 in another team

he won 19 games the year before... and this year he was injured... dont see why he cant be the #1 guy... i want cole and strasburg believe me but management has been cheap the last few years with the exception of trading for stanton

he won 19 games the year before... and this year he was injured... dont see why he cant be the #1 guy... i want cole and strasburg believe me but management has been cheap the last few years with the exception of trading for stanton
you are too enamored by the regular season stats thats the same yr he got rocked by boston in the playoffs also go check what he did in the 2017 playoffs as well hes a great pitcher but there is no consistency when the pressure is on thats why hes a very strong 2 starter just not a number 1

MLB trade rumors did their Top 50 Free Agents with predictions

Didi to the Reds 3 year / $42mil
Dellin to the Rays 1 year / $7mil

The only guy we sign in the top 50 is Brett Gardner for 1year/$10mil

I swear to god, if this happens like that. SMH

I can’t imagine us letting Dellin walk over 7 mil. That would be ****in crazy. I’ll ****in lose it.

I love Didi and think we should keep him but I won’t be surprised if we let him go.

Hal’s cheap but I don’t think he’d let Betances walk over 7 mil unless Betances was being spiteful that we didn’t offer him a multi year deal and took less to go somewhere else. And I don’t understand how quickly everyone just pushed Voit to the side. Everyone says the same thing “he was slumping after the injury” Didi slumped all year, Judge hit a slump, Gary Slumped when we needed him the most. People forget Voit was among the league leaders in OBP. I guess Yankee fans don’t have the same infatuation With Voit that they have with Didi.
Voit > Didi at this point in their careers.

i like gio and andujar better than voit... this is why id keep gio at 3rd and move andujar to first

I’m not pushing Voit aside. I still think he deserves 100+ games at 1B/DH.

I really just want this team to have significant depth. We needed it last year.
But we really could find a way for Voit/DJ/Gleyber/Didi/Gio/Andujar to all get 100-135 games. Depth will keep everyone fresh and will always be a weapon.

There’s zero reason for Dellin/Didi and Cole or Strausberg. NONE.

You can find the money, pretty easily. Didi and Dellin are project to make only $2mil extra based on MLB Trade Rumors projections (CC and Gardner is 80% of that)
And you can find $28mil of the $32-33mil for Cole by offloading Happ with a few mid level prospects for a Gio or Tauchman type, and splitting Ellsbury’s remaining money into 2 years.

Last edited:
Yankees are discussing a new contract with Gardner. In all honesty, just **** off.

He had a great year, but seriously, if you’re managing resources and worried about your payroll. Don’t commit them to a 1 year guy, unless you’re going all out everywhere.

If he comes back and plays everyday and ends up .250/.330/.420 and is at 16-18HRs. I’m going to be pissed, especially if we pass on returning guys like Didi and Dellin and/or passing on bringing guys in like Cole or Strausberg

Yankees Multi-Year Contracts Given to Starters:
CC - 2009 (7 year $161mil)
Burnett - 2009 (5 year $82.5mil)
CC - 2011 (5 year $122mil restructure)
Tanaka - 2014 (7 year $155mil)
Severino- 2019 (5 year $52mil extension)
Happ - 2019 (3 year $51mil)

That is absolutely crazy.

Really is time to push your chips into the center of the table. Get your big name pitcher and then you can just be easy the next 4 years of starting pitchers.

also Cole or Strasberg (with relative health) can all but guarantee that the 3rd year of Happ doesn’t get vested because he wouldn’t start 27 games or pitch 165IP........ Which does what Hal wants, saves money!

Last edited:
Well Cole would be the ace but essentially replace CC’s place in the rotation. Rotation would be:

Cole
Severino
Paxton
Tanaka
Happ?

Happ might have to slot in there because German’s suspension is about to come down soon, unless they go out and grab another starter.

Montgomery deserves a shot. And Deivi has a shot if he can impress in AAA for mid-season

What I’m saying is even if he’s the 5th, he’s likely not gonna hit 175IP because 175 for the 5th is tough to begin with. Also no matter what German’s suspension is, it probably won’t be a year. And even Monty and Loaisiga could make a claim for 5th starter. And mid-season pick up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom