OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Euro Cup and Copa America starting soon

Who will win the 2023/24 Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yea not a big fan of this Brazil squad tbf...

20240510_142852.jpg

FB's and midfield still lacking.

The World Champs should still be the heavy favorites for the Copa.

Uruguay also has a real good squad

Gonna be fascinating to see how Mbappe integrates into that attack because there's so much chemistry between that front 3 right now.

Not sure I'd push Vini out of position since he's legit been one of the best players in the world out left the last 3 seasons running and he keeps getting better.

It's gonna take time and sacrifice to make it work but if any manager in the world can make it work it's Don Carlo tbh.

What an insane problem to have :lol:, how do you fit arguably the best player right now into a CL final reaching team?

I'm sorry but this is a terrible take... Brazils biggest stars have never touched the prem.
Historically no but they've been coming droves in recent years, not necessarily the very top of the line but the next tiers are well represented in the Prem. The creme de la crem still traditionally go to the Spanish big 2.

The recent tourney selections have been full of PL players though which I guess is why he's saying he doesn't trust them to really win anymore :lol:

Historically no but they've been coming droves in recent years, not necessarily the very top of the line but the next tiers are well represented in the Prem. The creme de la crem still traditionally go to the Spanish big 2.

The recent tourney selections have been full of PL players though which I guess is why he's saying he doesn't trust them to really win anymore :lol:
thats a talent issue though not a prem issue. again, his point isn't landing. Blame Neymar not the EPL

thats a talent issue though not a prem issue. again, his point isn't landing. Blame Neymar not the EPL

A lot of Brazilians feel this way.

I don’t know what side I’m on because I don’t care.

But a lot of them feel like those players going to England can make them worse.

They lose their style of play and identity and acquiesce to what the EPL demand from them.

Playing against elite competition makes players worse? This is news to me

Cafu is stuck in his time and ways. Think of how many South Americans went to the Prem in the 2000's and just did almost absolute nothing but had high hopes. They have done a lot better in recent times for sure, but I THINK what he is trying to get at now is that the styles of play get lost when they go play in the prem as opposed to La Liga and now that Brazil is counting on mainly prem players to lead the squad he has no confidence or expectations for them because of the style of play they have to conform to in the Prem and how it doesn't match South American, Brazilian or the Joga Bonito style of play.

Last edited:
I THINK what he is trying to get at now is that the styles of play get lost when they go play in the prem as opposed to La Liga and now that Brazil is counting on mainly prem players to lead the squad he has no confidence or expectations for them because of the style of play they have to conform to in the Prem and how it doesn't match South American, Brazilian or the Joga Bonito style of play.

Exactly.

Brazilians are of those type of people who believe styles make fights.

A lot of them are tired of their players going to England and those players coming back and being “too English”.

That’s how they feel can’t tell them different.

IMO it can be some of that.

But it’s also the fact Brazil doesn’t produce players like they used to.

I think it’s a mixture - along with the fact Europeans got better since their last WC victory.

So they would be better off playing Almeria or Getafe? The top half of the prem is elite competition
Saying the top half of the prem is elite is wild.

There are 3 ELITE teams in the Prem.

City, Pool, and Arsenal.

That’s it. Thats as Elite as it gets, most leagues have 2 or 3 ELITE teams.

Playing Brighton and Sheffield is hardly elite competition, respectfully.

Exactly.

Brazilians are of those type of people who believe styles make fights.

A lot of them are tired of their players going to England and those players coming back and being “too English”.

That’s how they feel can’t tell them different.
So then blame pep not England. Pep has turned so many instinct players into robots. Look at Doku.. again this is a silly take . The game has changed and great teams rely on structure… I maintain the fact Brazil is just short on talent the last World Cup.. naybe that changes as endrick comes through but (and I love him ) Vinny is a far cry from prime Neymar in terms of playing the Brazilian way.

So then blame pep not England. Pep has turned so many instinct players into robots. Look at Doku.. again this is a silly take . The game has changed and great teams rely on structure… .
Grealish was exciting at Aston Villa too. He didn’t shy away from taking on his opponents and dribbling past them. Pep turned him into just another cog in Pep’s system. Grealish doesn’t take on his man anymore, lost that flair he had at Villa, …
Pep seems to use him primarily because of his fantastic close control of the ball and the difficulty to dispossess him.

All due respect to Pep but I’d much rather watch a Liverpool match during the peak of their rivalry. City’s gameplan is incredibly effective, sure, but fun to watch? Nah.

Last edited:
Doku is far from playing like a robot he’s still out there doing his thing.

Grealish game has changed tho mainly cause of the difference he will see with us versus Villa cause we don’t have as much open space to run into but his game has changed to be more measured and I think it’s made him a better player. Maybe not a more exciting one but a better one.

If Europa didn’t exist prem fans would swear they’d dominate it every year. 4th place Aston Villa just got smashed by Greece’s 4th place team 6-2 on aggregate in the conference league.

There are 0 prem teams in the 3 different finals of European competition. And believe it or not but playing against the bull**** a team like Getafe will throw at you does help for European competition.

Doku is far from playing like a robot he’s still out there doing his thing.

Grealish game has changed tho mainly cause of the difference he will see with us versus Villa cause we don’t have as much open space to run into but his game has changed to be more measured and I think it’s made him a better player. Maybe not a more exciting one but a better one.
I agree with both your points. I’m hoping that Doku getting the license to dribble and take on defenders is a sign of Pep maybe loosening his standards/system a bit.

Back
Top Bottom