Official: 57th NBA All-Star Game 2008 Sunday TNT 8pm ET

I think they should just start having the AS game in Vegas NYC every year. Just my .02

pimp.gif

0a373ffb7113efed1223df0487e98daa-getty-79600120mw062_2008_nba_all_.jpg

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

How dudes acting like Lebron's statline was garbage. I mean Ray Ray gave the east the momentum right at the end but isn't the MVP award for OVERRAL performance throughout the game. Lebron contributed points, rebounds and assists.

Switch what Bron did with what Ray Ray did and I'm pretty sure that Bron would have still got that MVP.
I'm not THAT mad that Bron won. He's the face of the L while Ray is a dude who's brighter days have passed. So I understand the politics.
But Ray clearly deserved some sort of co-something!

Like someone else said, ROY 2004 all over again.
smh.gif

laugh.gif
@the dirk damage control
No amount of damage control can save Dirk.
laugh.gif

Bron had many more rebounds and assists than Ray and he was only 1 point short so i guess Bron earned it.

but i only watched the 1st quarter and then the end of the 4th. it was really boring until the end. missing T-mac, Carter, and Kobe i guess. if they had Tmacand Kobe, i think the West could have won.

Switch what Bron did with what Ray Ray did and I'm pretty sure that Bron would have still got that MVP.
I'm not THAT mad that Bron won. He's the face of the L while Ray is a dude who's brighter days have passed. So I understand the politics.

I pretty much agree, if the East won LeBron would have won regardless of what he did unless he only shot 4/18 or so and didn't have 5+ assists/rebounds. Icould have seen Dwight getting it though (being first player since Jordan to win MVP+Dunk contest I believe).

2009 ASG in Phoenix.
smile.gif
Maybe I can catch a plane ride to Phoenix again and go hang out with ZoDogg.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

I agree with all of this, but I do take issue with two things.

#1. Ray Allen 'milked' more points for his statline at the end of the game?
nerd.gif
Dude got hot when his team needed some outside scoring, netting like... what?... 9 points in the last 3 minutes?

I'm not saying he deserved MVP, because I think LeBron was the correct choice, but I do think it's a knock to say he was 'just milking his statline' at the end. I'm not going to knock him by saying something like that.

#2. All Laker fans are haters now? Anyone with 'Team Lakers' is a hater? Anyone with 'Team Lakers' is a Kobe fan?
nerd.gif

Ray did get some free-throws off fouls to score more points. Getting points off those free-throws wasn't exactly un-cheap. If he wasn't fouled twicelike that, he wouldn't have been the top scorer - LeBron would.

And I've seen a pattern. The ones with Team Lakers signatures are extra hateful towards LeBron and try to put a negative spin on anything LeBron does...For reasons which aren't hard to figure out. LeBron put up one of the best all-round statlines in all-star game history and he "robbed" someone?
indifferent.gif

And I love how the guy with the Dwight Howard superman avatar keeps saying LeBallhog, thinking he's funny. All the while arguing that Ray got robbed anddeserved the MVP. But in fact, Ray took more shots per minute than LeBron. And only had 1 assist.. On the other hand, LeBron was #2 in assist on his team and#3 in assists in the entire game.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

pimp.gif

0a373ffb7113efed1223df0487e98daa-getty-79600120mw062_2008_nba_all_.jpg

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

How dudes acting like Lebron's statline was garbage. I mean Ray Ray gave the east the momentum right at the end but isn't the MVP award for OVERRAL performance throughout the game. Lebron contributed points, rebounds and assists.

Like someone else said, ROY 2004 all over again.
smh.gif

Man, you know that nowadays EVERYONE is a LeBron fan. But regardless, this game wasn't as entertaining this year.

Originally Posted by Aristotle604

Man, who ever said it wasn't really the same without Kobe, Shaq, even T-Mac and Carter weren't kidding. I actually fell asleep

Very true. And if only Garnett weren't injured. I think this game would have been much more interesting then. Kobe and Shaq together again.

A lot of players are "All Stars" but aren't "All Star Game" players. Guys that are good players but aren't full of the glitz andglamor needed to pull off an entertaining exhibition game.

I think guys like Duncan, Yao, Bosh, Dirk, Hamilton, Jamison, Boozer etc. are great players but they dont have the personalities to make an ASG exciting.

I would have rather seen VC than Rip in the ASG. Bosh jacking up jumpshots all game made it less fun too. To think Ray was a replacement too.

But now that I have seen the damage Bron and Kidd can do together, I'm upset at Danny. But then again, it's not totally his fault. At least Larry'sbeen stepping up alot more in the last couple weeks, but that's another story.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

A lot of players are "All Stars" but aren't "All Star Game" players. Guys that are good players but aren't full of the glitz and glamor needed to pull off an entertaining exhibition game.

I think guys like Duncan, Yao, Bosh, Dirk, Hamilton, Jamison, Boozer etc. are great players but they dont have the personalities to make an ASG exciting.
Guys like that aren't exciting in these games because their skill-sets aren't conducive to how the ASG is played. Guys like Dirk and Yao justget lost in the athleticism and high-flying aspect of it, while Duncan/Boozer/Hamilton, while great, are just kinda boring to the average fan anyways. Guyslike Antawn and Bosh kinda fall somewhere between the two.

Basically, if you're not a guy that fits into the high-flying, run-and-gun system the ASG features, you're not going to be particularly impressive inthese games. You'll have a guy like Ray Allen get loose, but for the most part, these games are dominated by LeBron, Kobe, McGrady, etc... Or guys likeIverson, Nash, and Kidd who maintain the flow of the game and are on the distributing end of most of the exciting plays.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Two sides to every story, and NBA All-Star[/h1]

Well, the NBA All-Star Game was a disaster again, and not just because nobody cared.

I'm talking about the uniforms, which are really the only things that ever matter about this All-Star Game. The league certainly ought to sport the wildest, most innovative uniforms. The NBA, let's face it, remains the coolest of the professional leagues. Yet it continues to take many fashion missteps along the way, and I can't help but think the wrong people are making these decisions.

On Sunday, we saw the dumbest idea yet: uniforms that are completely different colors on the front and the back. This made it appear as if there were actually four teams out there playing against each other: the Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest. Imagine Jason Kidd's utter confusion. First of all, Kidd couldn't even be sure anymore whether he was playing for an Eastern Conference team (the Nets) or a Western Conference team (the Mavs). Then, while fastbreaking upcourt, Kidd had to figure out which guys were his teammates based on a snap judgement about which direction they were facing. To make matters even more confounding, the backs of the East uniforms were way too similar to the fronts of the West uniforms.

When you think of all the funky, functional possibilities for these All-Star uniforms - polka-dots, paisley, stripes - this was another terrible wasted opportunity. Personally, I lean toward the revolutionary Al McGuire-era Marquette uniforms, with the shirts designed specifically to flap outside the shorts.

And I'm still waiting for the Nets to go back to the asymmetrical stripes.
Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/bondy/2008/02/two-sides-to-every-story-and-n.html

the last 3 mins were great, but the whole 4th, and most of the 3rd should have been like that.... especially for the West, none of the player except for Paul were really trying.

i'm mad Yao didnt getting pt
cause he kept taking 3's even in the 4th...
1q, okay, funny business...but he just wouldn't stop. And Dwight was easily out muscling him.
maybe AI and Melo learned to pass...
Was a whole post on this really necessary when a post exactly like this was closed earlier?

Yao was horrible tonight, I don't see how you can defend him rocboys, you must be chinese.
laugh.gif

http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2008/02/enjoy_yao_fast_if_you_blink_yo.html

nope, I became a fan after people riding Dwight hard in the beginning of the season (claiming Yao's gonna get owned when they haven't played).

Yes, the jerseys were HORRIBLE. Thanks adidas.
eyes.gif

Anyway, they really need to change the selection of All-Stars to something like fans vote who they want to play in the game (starters ANDsubs; 10 players), while coaches vote a separate 5 or 6 man roster for alternates/players who are having all-star caliber seasons.

So for instance, these were the final numbers for fan voting for this year's game:
2008 NBA ALL-STAR FINAL BALLOTING EASTERN CONFERENCE

Forwards: Kevin Garnett (Bos) 2,399,148; LeBron James (Clev) 2,108,831; Chris Bosh (Tor) 838,498; Paul Pierce (Bos) 574,159; Yi Jianlian (Mil) 450,515; Caron Butler (Wash) 340,619; Hedo Turkoglu (Orl) 301,038; Andrea Bargnani (Tor) 293,200; Tayshaun Prince (Det) 280,369; Rashard Lewis (Orl) 240,725.

Guards: Dwyane Wade (Mia) 1,608,260; Jason Kidd (NJ) 1,246,386; Ray Allen (Bos) 1,061,740; Vince Carter (NJ) 981,050; Gilbert Arenas (Wash) 797,502; Chauncey Billups (Det) 625,772; Michael Redd (Mil) 375,243; Richard Hamilton (Det) 308,357; Joe Johnson (Atl) 253,308; T.J. Ford (Tor) 253,216.

Centers: Dwight Howard (Orl) 2,066,991; Shaquille O'Neal (Mia) 965,171; Rasheed Wallace (Det) 303,978; Andrew Bogut (Mil) 283,576; Ben Wallace (Chi) 256,604; Jermaine O'Neal (Ind) 217,675; Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Cle) 205,152; Emeka Okafor (Char) 147,447; Eddy Curry (NY) 107,279; Zaza Pachulia (Atl) 98,593.

2008 NBA ALL-STAR FINAL BALLOTING WESTERN CONFERENCE

Forwards: Carmelo Anthony (Den) 1,723,701; Tim Duncan (SA) 1,712,800; Dirk Nowitzki (Dal) 1,259,025; Carlos Boozer (Utah) 553,624; Shawn Marion (Phx) 514,142; Shane Battier (Hou) 475,483; Kevin Durant (Sea) 463,187; Luis Scola (Hou) 424,470; Josh Howard (Dal) 423,973; Grant Hill (Phx) 389,672.

Guards: Kobe Bryant (LAL) 2,004,940; Allen Iverson (Den) 1,203,152; Tracy McGrady (Hou) 1,192,742; Steve Nash (Phx) 1,174,125; Chris Paul (NO) 563,525; Manu Ginobili (SA) 541,148; Tony Parker (SA) 500,009; Baron Davis (GS) 499,186; Jason Terry (Dal) 300,125; Jerry Stackhouse (Dal) 270,412.

Centers: Yao Ming (Hou) 1,709,180; Amaré Stoudemire (Phx) 998,969; Marcus Camby (Den) 412,563; Tyson Chandler (NO) 289,593; Erick Dampier (Dal) 254,662; LaMarcus Aldridge (Por) 216,271; Pau Gasol (Mem) 206,408; Mehmet Okur (Utah) 202,403; Chris Kaman (LAC) 189,385; Andris Biedrins (GS) 161,411.

If fans got to vote starters and subs (10 players), east squad would have had Vince and Shaq (if he wasn't traded) while coaches added 2 reserves to roundout the team that actually plays (Caron and Jamison for instance). Then coaches get to pick 4 other players (NOT to play) who were deemed alternates or ashaving all-star type years (Hedo, Joe Johnson, RJ, Billups for example)

West would have had T-Mac starting while coaches would have rounded out the team with CP3 & Diddy. Then add Camby, Kaman, Josh Howard, S-Jax to thealternates/all-star caliber (NOT TO PLAY) roster.

Tweak what I suggested and I think we'd have a more exciting game. Or at least the players that people want to see IN the game.

why are u idiots still arguing about this?
bron had the better statline and the play of the game,
so him winning the mvp trophy is well deserved.

ray lit it up at the end, but bron had the better overall game.

dead this talk, forreal.
u guys ain't going nowhere with it.

TheHealthInspector

I dont know how yall feel but there was something missing in the all start game that lacked kobe bryant, tracy mcgrady, and vince carter
- these are guys that have been locks for the past 7 or 8 years and i know that yall feel that they "didnt deserve" to be on the teams but what im trying to say is that these guys know how to put on a show, it seemed like the only guy there that could really excite the crowd in the way that these 3 guys could was lebron
- some of you guys may claim that "these guys are soft" except kobe but i think that theyre the people that weve grown accustomed to these last few years that weve always expected to put on a show on all star weekend, from what i saw it was pretty much jump shooting with the exception of dwight and lebron
- also, add shaq to that list, even though he hasnt been playing up to par, he should have been involved in the weekend in some way

K2theAblaM
I agree. This years exhibition wasn't as exciting as I would have expected. A large part having to do with so many stars out of the game. I thought the jerseys this year were ugly to. Looked like there were three teams on the floor with those alternate two toned patterns.

rocboys
i'm mad Yao didnt getting pt. since hes the starting center but he told Byron to play him for 10 minutes b4 tipoff. boozer, d. west, and duncan really put me to sleep but yaos threes were cool lol the west will lose again if AI and melo (two players who dont know how to pass) start again.

off_line.gif
Mw2889
Shaq

on_line.gif
kash55
the last 3 mins were great, but the whole 4th, and most of the 3rd should have been like that.... especially for the West, none of the player except for Paul were really trying.
i'm mad Yao didnt getting pt
cause he kept taking 3's even in the 4th...
1q, okay, funny business...but he just wouldn't stop. And Dwight was easily out muscling him.

JapanAir21
Was a whole post on this really necessary when a post exactly like this was closed earlier?
Yao was horrible tonight, I don't see how you can defend him rocboys, you must be chinese.
laugh.gif

off_line.gif
Sick Ik 23
yeah the game needs McGrady, Carter, and Kobe all playing.

off_line.gif
EFIL 4 REKAL
I thought about this too and wanted to make a thread on it. An era of the NBA is coming to an end. Aforementioned players such as Shaq, T-Mac, VC were not present this year. Players such as Kobe, AI, Kidd, KG, and TD are perhaps descending from their prime. We might not have many more years of them starting ASG's or playing in them at all.

It's quite sad how fast their careers have gone by, yet seemed like such a long time ago when they first came in.

I started watching NBA in the 80s so I went through the end of that era with players like Bird, Magic, Isiah (MJ was a little bit younger). It was a worrisome time but luckily some amazing talents emerged and legends like MJ, Barkley, Drexler, etc were able to bridge the gap.

I liked what I saw tonight from Chris Paul. He left his mark on the ASG and I think he is just the type of player who will be a fixture in the ASG for many years to come. Some players, won't mention names, just show up at the ASG every year, put up some stats, but don't really leave their imprint on the game, yanno? Paul changed the game in the 4th qtr. The ASG will be in good hands with Lebron, Paul, perhaps Amare, but others will have to step up.

off_line.gif
651akathePaul
KG

off_line.gif
acidicality
it's missing baron davis.
wink.gif

all homerism aside, there's just no stakes to it...if the nba can add more incentive for players to play in the all-star game it'd make it more exciting. it's just a pointless exhibition..

off_line.gif
indohan
West might win if Camby and B-Davis are in the team. I know CP3 performed well, but things might be different.

off_line.gif
651akathePaul
what i really think....it isnt missing anything, its just bland and monotonous...which is why we need USA vs. International

JapanAir21
USA would kill international, unless they included players from outside the US (will never happen).
Who would you have play on international besides Dirk, Yao, Manu, TP, Nash, that would even be a difference maker?

off_line.gif
651akathePaul
Dirk, Yao, Manu, TP, Nash
thats a pretty good five though..is it not? but on top of that duncan (virgin islands), okur, peja, gasol, barbosa, AK 47, deng, calderon, ben gordon, turkoglu, kobe even spent a lot of time in italy..so maybe

pretty legit if you ask me

off_line.gif
JapanAir21
Compared to AI, CP3, Dwight, Bron, Wade, Melo, Kobe, Amare, Bosh, Booz, Caron, Rip, Chauncey, etc.?

No thanks. The "International" team would have no legitimate inside presence other than Duncan if you want to count him (be serious,
laugh.gif
). Even then, Amare/Dwight could murder him.

off_line.gif
Dam itz Lou
Yeah i felt the same way i was sorta bored until the 4th quarter.

[table][tr][td]
URL]
http://TH0MAS-CR0WN.u.yuku.com]TH0MAS CR0WN[/url][/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
Shaq, Kobe, VC, Tmac, Bdiddy.
[table][tr][td]http://GUILLERMO-GUTIEREZ.u.yuku.com]GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ[/url][/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
the all star game was missing All Stars.
[table][tr][td]
URL]
http://NYK-orange-and-blue.u.yuku.com]NYK orange and blue[/url][/td] [td]
[/td] [/tr][/table]
^ he said it, locked this post now lol

URL]
http://RetroBaller.u.yuku.com]RetroBaller[/url]
everyone rags on T-Mac, but you see what a difference he makes

URL]
http://memphisboi55.u.yuku.com]memphisboi55[/url]
i literally watched the 1st quarter, fell asleep and woke up with like 6 mins left in the 4th....watched the rest..... went back to sleep

http://durty-pancakes.u.yuku.com]durty pancakes[/url]
One of the worst All-Star games.

URL]
http://EG47.u.yuku.com]EG47[/url]
it was because david west and brandon roy were in the game.

URL]
http://DOWNTOWN43.u.yuku.com]DOWNTOWN43[/url]
the all star game was missing All Stars.
basically. i'm tired of people saying "so and so sucks this year, they don't deserve to be in the game, put (some random no-name) in instead"

my man gilbert said it and got heat for it, but its the truth. the all-star game is for ALL-STARS. everyone in the game should be either an established perennial all-star, or if it's a first-timer they should be an obvious up-and-coming all-star.

to clarify, Chris Paul and Brandon Roy are first timers, but they qualify as up-and-coming all-stars. a guy like Hedo is NOT, he is an average player throughout his career who happened to have a pretty good year. Jose Calderon is NOT, he is just a smart backup PG and game-manager that's having a pretty good year. those guys will and should NEVER be in the ASG.

URL]
http://K8be-wan-Kenobi-.u.yuku.com]K8be wan Keno[/url]
it is a travesty that Shaq was not at the ASG. Shaq needs to be there EVERY YEAR, i don't care.

the game is for the fans, and Shaq is the #1 fan-favorite in the NBA right now. i don't care if he's averaging 2PPG, Shaquille O'Neal should never be excluded from All-Star weekend.

URL]
http://Super-Producer-J.u.yuku.com]Super Producer[/url]
Originally Posted by EG47

it was because david west and brandon roy were in the game.
I agree with the David West completely, and B. Roy somewhat. But it was more than just them. I thought that quite a few of these guys were talented, but don't have the all-star flare in their game, necessary of course for an all-star game. Just to name a few: Boozer, West again, Bosh, Sheed, and a few others. Now, I'm not knocking any of these guys' talent, certainly not Sheed's, but I must admit its not all-star calibur, style-wise. Simply put, their game is just boring. Bosh has a few charismatic moves in the repertoire, and even B. Roy, but not enough I believe.

name="wmode"value="transparent">http://" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

Someone tell me how the East were playing lockdown D the whole game? How you gonna' go at David West with like, 4 defenders?

All-Star games are about excitement. SMH at the East out there playing like it was a championship game for the first 3 qrts.

The West was laxed a little bit on the defensive end for the first 3 qrts to give the offense more freedom to create and put on a show.

(The 4th qrt should be the only qrt where determined defense is allowed.)

Should have been co mvps IMO but no big deal....

- Lebron's dunk was so sick
pimp.gif

- Ray was showing that he could've won the 3 point contest

- Amare had a real nice game and that dunk on Dwight, oh my
eek.gif

- CP3's move with the fake bounce pass was the best move of the night BY FAR

- Sheed's left handed 3's had me laughing the whole game
roll.gif

- West would have won if Kobe played

Back
Top Bottom