Official Apple Media Event Thread: September 1, 2010

Apple's September media event kicks off on Wednesday, September 1st at 10 a.m. Pacific. The annual event typically focuses on Apple's iPod line, though recent rumors have suggested that the Apple TV may finally be getting a revision.

Rumors

Here are the major rumors heading into the event.

- Apple TV - A next generation Apple TV based on iOS, priced at only $99, as well as support for Apps.
- iPod Touch - Backside camera, mic, new shape, front facing camera, possible 3G and even a Retina display.
- iPod Nano - Smaller, square shaped design with a 3cm x 3cm touch screen. Case manufacturers have already been producing covers for the unannounced device (see above).
- Other updates to iTunes including TV show rentals and longer song previews.

Speculation

Meanwhile, here's a collection of fun speculative content that haven't been verifed, but in the run up to the event may inspire some interesting discussion:

- iPad 4.0? - We expect Apple will announce their plans for the deployment of iOS 4 for the iPad during the event. It's unlikely Apple will be able to launch tomorrow as Apple still needs developers to update their apps. So, hopefully we'll get a roadmap and a developer beta of iOS 4 for iPad.
- 2.8" iPod touch? iLounge suggests that perhaps we will see the long rumored 2.8" iPod touch emerge to fill the gap left by the former iPod nano.
- iPhone as Apple TV Remote? iLounge's Charles Starrett speculates that the rumored $99 Apple TV might actually require an iOS device to serve as a remote. Beyond his speculation, we'd actually heard unconfirmed whispers of the same, so it seems within the realm of possibility.
- iLife Mystery App is a Make Your Own App Tool? Rumors of iLife '11 suggested a brand new app would be introduced with the iLife '11 suite. We've heard an unconfirmed whispers that the new app could actually be a way for end users to create simple apps and deploy them directly (not through the App Store) to their iOS devices. Is Apple returning to their Hypercard roots? It's hard to say how feasible this would be.

Coverage
Apple announced this evening that they will be broadcasting their media event live over the internet.
Apple will broadcast its September 1 event online using Apple’s industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards. Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard, an iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad. The live broadcast will begin at 10:00 a.m. PDT on September 1, 2010 at www.apple.com

Engadget
Ars Technica
MacRumors
Macrumors Twitter

Apple's September media event kicks off on Wednesday, September 1st at 10 a.m. Pacific. The annual event typically focuses on Apple's iPod line, though recent rumors have suggested that the Apple TV may finally be getting a revision.

Rumors

Here are the major rumors heading into the event.

- Apple TV - A next generation Apple TV based on iOS, priced at only $99, as well as support for Apps.
- iPod Touch - Backside camera, mic, new shape, front facing camera, possible 3G and even a Retina display.
- iPod Nano - Smaller, square shaped design with a 3cm x 3cm touch screen. Case manufacturers have already been producing covers for the unannounced device (see above).
- Other updates to iTunes including TV show rentals and longer song previews.

Speculation

Meanwhile, here's a collection of fun speculative content that haven't been verifed, but in the run up to the event may inspire some interesting discussion:

- iPad 4.0? - We expect Apple will announce their plans for the deployment of iOS 4 for the iPad during the event. It's unlikely Apple will be able to launch tomorrow as Apple still needs developers to update their apps. So, hopefully we'll get a roadmap and a developer beta of iOS 4 for iPad.
- 2.8" iPod touch? iLounge suggests that perhaps we will see the long rumored 2.8" iPod touch emerge to fill the gap left by the former iPod nano.
- iPhone as Apple TV Remote? iLounge's Charles Starrett speculates that the rumored $99 Apple TV might actually require an iOS device to serve as a remote. Beyond his speculation, we'd actually heard unconfirmed whispers of the same, so it seems within the realm of possibility.
- iLife Mystery App is a Make Your Own App Tool? Rumors of iLife '11 suggested a brand new app would be introduced with the iLife '11 suite. We've heard an unconfirmed whispers that the new app could actually be a way for end users to create simple apps and deploy them directly (not through the App Store) to their iOS devices. Is Apple returning to their Hypercard roots? It's hard to say how feasible this would be.

Coverage
Apple announced this evening that they will be broadcasting their media event live over the internet.
Apple will broadcast its September 1 event online using Apple’s industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards. Viewing requires either a Mac running Safari on Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard, an iPhone or iPod touch running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad. The live broadcast will begin at 10:00 a.m. PDT on September 1, 2010 at www.apple.com

Engadget
Ars Technica
MacRumors
Macrumors Twitter

Cloud iTunes is a pipe dream (for now at least) 
nerd.gif

Can't wait, copping the highest gigabyte ipod touch. Apple aka Steve jobs better not disappoint

Can't wait, copping the highest gigabyte ipod touch. Apple aka Steve jobs better not disappoint

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

Originally Posted by CWrite78

another over hyped yawn fest

Agreed. I have the same sentiments about prety muh all these primetime conferences they have. I've really wanted a higher capacity iPod classic for the longest time. $10 says I'll be disappointed yet again come tomorrow.
Cloud storage is a pipe dream but it would be nice to at least get a demo of some future tech they have lined up.

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

Agreed. I have the same sentiments about prety muh all these primetime conferences they have. I've really wanted a higher capacity iPod classic for the longest time. $10 says I'll be disappointed yet again come tomorrow.
Cloud storage is a pipe dream but it would be nice to at least get a demo of some future tech they have lined up.

nerd.gif
@ apple tv
grin.gif
apple better come correct with that ipod touch. better make me not want those new archos players

nerd.gif
@ apple tv
grin.gif
apple better come correct with that ipod touch. better make me not want those new archos players

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

pr0phecy718 said:

cloud storage isn't as great as it sounds. especially with the crappy internet speeds we get in the US. streaming or even uploading your whole collection? ehh.

all im looking forward is a higher capacity ipod touch. maybe change up the form factor a little. other than, same ol' song and dance.

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

pr0phecy718 said:

cloud storage isn't as great as it sounds. especially with the crappy internet speeds we get in the US. streaming or even uploading your whole collection? ehh.

all im looking forward is a higher capacity ipod touch. maybe change up the form factor a little. other than, same ol' song and dance.

Back
Top Bottom