Official BIG EAST Tournament Thread - Finals. PITT vs GEORGETOWN 9pm ESPN

Beating a team you can't beat doesn't happen often either...and Providence OWNS UConn

And you know Providence fans travel just as well as UConn fans to the Garden...especially for a game like that

...I'm just sayin, Providence could run it

I just finished talking to my boy Malcolm Grant about Wednesday's game. It should be interesting.

any marquette fans on here? lol, anyways hopefully ill sport some kicks from my collection wednesday

You know what it is.
pimp.gif

I've noticed Uconn is a trendy pick this weekend it seems...

But

"They are only 7-4 on the road this year. (3 point win over Central Florida, 1 point win at cinci where they dodged 2 buzzer beaters, 2 point win at Cuse.this is 4 games decided right at the buzzer. 2 of the 3 ranked road opponents they faced were losses GTown, Notre Dame... the lone win coming against Indianawho I think is very overrated. On neutral courts... UConn is 1-2 with the only win coming against Gardner-Webb. The 2 losses to Memphis and Gonzaga."

Georgetown is the Vegas favorite at +150

No. 1. Georgetown Hoyas (+150)- You have to likethe Hoyas' chances heading into this tournament. They're riding high after Saturday's huge win over Louisville, which capped off a five-gamewinning streak to end the regular season. It is worth noting that all three of their losses came away from home, so it won't be a cakewalk at MSG.We're predicting an appearance in the Final for the No. 1 seed.

No. 2. Louisville Cardinals (+250) -TheCardinals are our favorite to win this year's tournament. You just can't ignore a 14-3-1 ATS (against the spread) run to end the regular season and weabsolutely love their balance at both ends of the floor. Following a shaky start mired by injuries and suspension, this is a team that peaked at the righttime. After getting ousted in the third round against Pitt last season, expect to see a determined effort from this veteran-laden squad.

No. 3. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (+500)- It's hard not to like the Irish. After all, this is a team that lost only six games all season. We're just not sure that they have thedefensive fortitude to make it all the way to Sunday. Three of their conference losses came against the other three top four seeds, Georgetown, Louisville, andUconn. They could be in for a rough ride should they match-up against Marquette in the third round.

No. 4. Connecticut Huskies (+600) - TheHuskies came roaring back after a disappointing 06-07 season, but thanks to a pair of losses down the stretch, were unable to lock up any higher than a fourthseed. That could come back to bite them as they'll likely have to contend with West Virginia in their second game. Much like Louisville, the Huskies haveexcellent offensive balance, able to beat you from the inside or outside. We expect them to eke into the semis this weekend.

No. 5. West Virginia Mountineers (+1000)- The regular season was a bit of a roller coaster ride for the Mountaineers, but we do feel they're in good shape heading into the Big EastTournament. This is a team that almost fought its way into the semis of last year's tourney, falling short in overtime against Louisville in the thirdround. They're capable of running anyone out of the gym, and that could bode well against Uconn should they get past Providence on Thursday. Still,it's probably one-and-done for WVU this year.

No. 6. Marquette Golden Eagles (+1200) - The Golden Eagles weren't an easy team to figure out during the regular season. The experience and talent seem to be in place, but outside of onesolid five-game stretch, they were never able to find much consistency. They'll match up against Notre Dame after getting past Seton Hall and that could beadvantage Golden Eagles. They hammered the Irish in their first meeting before succumbing by the narrowest of margins in South Bend.

No. 7. Pittsburgh Panthers (+1200) - ThePanthers have to feel fortunate to have even gained the seventh seed after an injury-plagued regular season. Following a three-game losing streak inmid-February, the Panthers finished strong, winning three of their final four games. However, they were just 3-7 ATS over their final 10 Big East games.They'll be in a dog fight with Cincinnati in the opening round, but should they escape, Louisville will take care of them on Friday.

No. 8. Villanova Wildcats(+1500) - If you were smart enough to fade the Wildcats from mid-December to early-February, you're probably on holiday in the Caribbean rightnow. A 1-12 ATS losing skid was about as ugly as it got, but we'll credit 'Nova for rebounding to win six of their final nine conference gamesoutright. They closed the regular season on a strong 6-2 ATS run. Unfortunately they'll slam into another team with plenty of momentum in the Orange onThursday. Don't be surprised if the Wildcats make an early exit from this year's tourney.

No. 9. Syracuse Orange (+1200) - You know theformula in Syracuse. Start slow, make a late season run, and then dash everyone's hopes of an NCAA Tournament appearance. At least that's been the gameplan over the last couple of years. The Orange are the prototypical 'bubble' team. A big win over Georgetown could have saved their season, but theyfollowed it up with three consecutive losses. We expect them to sneak past Villanova before falling to a revenge-minded Georgetown squad on Friday.

No. 10. Cincinnati Bearcats (+3000)-TheBearcats may just be the hardest working team in the Big East. Unfortunately their lack of talent caught up with them in the final weeks of the regular season,as they dropped their final five games. We're not convinced they can pick themselves up off the mat in time for Thursday's matchup against Pittsburgh.Experience wins out, and the Bearcats go home early.

No. 11. Seton Hall Pirates (+3000) - Speakingof picking themselves up off the mat, that's something the Pirates will have to do after losing eight of their final 10 Big East matchups. The Pirates werepure fade material down the stretch, losing six of their final seven games ATS. We're having a tough time envisioning anything other than a blowout loss intheir opening round matchup with Marquette.

No. 12. Providence Friars (+4000) - The Friarsmanaged to beat UConn twice, but accomplished little else during their Big East campaign. They finished up 2-7 away from home and they'll likely serve asnothing more than a stepping-stone for West Virginia in this tournament. They're arguably the worst defensive team that will take the floor at MSG thisweek, and that certainly doesn't bode well for their chances of advancing.

Ken Pomeroy..

Big East

Qtrs Semis Final Champ
1 Georgetown 100 77.7 49.1 27.3
2 Louisville 100 75.5 45.2 26.2
6 Marquette 90.4 55.8 28.7 15.4
4 UConn 100 55.2 24.3 10.5
3 Notre Dame 100 42.8 17.1 7.2
5 West Virginia 81.6 41.3 18.4 8.1
7 Pitt 81.2 23.0 8.6 3.1
9 Syracuse 60.9 15.3 5.7 1.7
8 Villanova 39.1 6.9 1.9 0.4
12 Providence 18.4 3.4 0.6 0.09
10 Cincinnati 18.8 1.6 0.2 0.02
11 Seton Hall 9.6 1.4 0.2 0.02

Format: All games at Madison Square Garden, March 12-15.
Most likely championship matchup: Georgetown vs. Louisville (22%)

The Big East won't be a cakewalk for any team, which is what happens when you have five solid teams that are similar in strength. I believe Marquette wouldbe the first team to go 4-0 in two different conference tourneys if they were to pull this off. Back in '97, they won the CUSA Tourney by winning fourgames in four days.

Damn i just realized the game is at noon. My school ends at 2.
smh.gif

Might just have to skip the last two periods.

Sick of all these mid-major teams playing. Lets get it started tomorrow
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by SCuse7

Damn i just realized the game is at noon. My school ends at 2.
smh.gif

Might just have to skip the last two periods.

Sick of all these mid-major teams playing. Lets get it started tomorrow
pimp.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I know Syracuse is going to be dead while the game is on.

Were the 4 teams who didn't make the garden the 4 teams in the preaseason poll who weren't supposed to? Or was Depaul and Cinci swapped?

Originally Posted by petey yup

Were the 4 teams who didn't make the garden the 4 teams in the preaseason poll who weren't supposed to? Or was Depaul and Cinci swapped?

Yea i know Cinci was picked really low.

2007-08 Preseason Coaches' Poll

1. Georgetown (
glasses.gif

Louisville (
glasses.gif

3. Marquette 191

4. Pittsburgh 170

5. Syracuse 153

6. Connecticut 149

7. Villanova 143

8. Providence 141

9. Notre Dame 122

10. West Virginia 112

11. DePaul 79

12. Cincinnati 62

13. Seton Hall 56

14. St. John's 52

15. Rutgers 32

16. USF 23

Anyone seeing the hightlight clips of past BET on sportscenter now?
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Drew Hall drive and dish to Wesley Wilson
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom