OFFICIAL CHEF/COOKS THREAD... VOL I wish these pics were scratch and sniff.

This thread made me hungry and stuffing is necessary for Thanksgiving. Can't wait

This thread made me hungry and stuffing is necessary for Thanksgiving. Can't wait

You could just dry out some bread too then you can say you made it from scratch!

Cooked for the Charlie awards here today. It takes place between the local restaurants. A pretty big magazine here took my pics for next months issue so if it makes it ill PST a link. It will have pics of the food so I didn't bother taking any. I graved in some salmon in southwest seasonings with a chipotle creme fresh. Stuffed some potato skins I fried with some home made green chilli sausage I made and eggs, jalapenos and onions to make a ranchero style potato skin. I also made some home made meatballs with some Italian sausage I made so this dude could put them in his BBQ sauce he's marketing.

It was pretty fun. Met some cool people. I heard Andrew Zimmerman was coming but I had to dip after the brunch so I couldn't catch the awards.

I'll post pics when the photographers drop them.

Excuse my typing I'm on my phone.

You could just dry out some bread too then you can say you made it from scratch!

Cooked for the Charlie awards here today. It takes place between the local restaurants. A pretty big magazine here took my pics for next months issue so if it makes it ill PST a link. It will have pics of the food so I didn't bother taking any. I graved in some salmon in southwest seasonings with a chipotle creme fresh. Stuffed some potato skins I fried with some home made green chilli sausage I made and eggs, jalapenos and onions to make a ranchero style potato skin. I also made some home made meatballs with some Italian sausage I made so this dude could put them in his BBQ sauce he's marketing.

It was pretty fun. Met some cool people. I heard Andrew Zimmerman was coming but I had to dip after the brunch so I couldn't catch the awards.

I'll post pics when the photographers drop them.

Excuse my typing I'm on my phone.

Originally Posted by GesheOneLove10

Originally Posted by frink85

Originally Posted by djaward

Anyone know how to cook a steak on a pan or oven? I tried it once but was disappointed.
honestly, cooking on a pan is a lot easier for me (i liked my steak medium/medium rare) but for my friends (well done...i know) i had to experiment with low heat/long cooking time

Naw you don't want any oil at all, if you use it, it'll just fry your steak. Here's how it's done

Cast iron pan heavily salted, heat it up on high till you can hold your hand over the bottom for more than 2 seconds

Have the oven preheated to 450

Throw the steak on for 2 minutes each side. Don't touch it while it's on the pan.

Throw the whole pan in the overn for approx 4-8 minutes (depends how you like your steak cooked) 4-5 for rare, 5-6 med rare, etcc

Pull it out, put the steak on a cutting board or plate, cover it and let it sit for 5-8 minutes. It'll soak up more juices that way.

RufioRufioRufio wrote:

for those who want to cook steak besides grilling.

I usually set my pan on super high. sear each side for about one minute.

then in a preheated 450 degree oven i put the pan in for 5-8 minutes depending on how you like your meat.

then after i take the pan out, be careful the handle of the pan will be hot, i throw in about 1-2 tablespoons of butter and herbs (rosemary, oregano, whatevs) and let it melt into the steak.

then you let your steak rest. do not cut it immediately fatboys.

as it rests either plate yyour sides or pour yourself a nice drink

and remember, you must also know the heat of your oven. not everyone has the same one.

MPLSdunk wrote:

Yup if you don't let your steak rest just throw it out
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GesheOneLove10

Originally Posted by frink85

Originally Posted by djaward

Anyone know how to cook a steak on a pan or oven? I tried it once but was disappointed.
honestly, cooking on a pan is a lot easier for me (i liked my steak medium/medium rare) but for my friends (well done...i know) i had to experiment with low heat/long cooking time

Naw you don't want any oil at all, if you use it, it'll just fry your steak. Here's how it's done

Cast iron pan heavily salted, heat it up on high till you can hold your hand over the bottom for more than 2 seconds

Have the oven preheated to 450

Throw the steak on for 2 minutes each side. Don't touch it while it's on the pan.

Throw the whole pan in the overn for approx 4-8 minutes (depends how you like your steak cooked) 4-5 for rare, 5-6 med rare, etcc

Pull it out, put the steak on a cutting board or plate, cover it and let it sit for 5-8 minutes. It'll soak up more juices that way.

RufioRufioRufio wrote:

for those who want to cook steak besides grilling.

I usually set my pan on super high. sear each side for about one minute.

then in a preheated 450 degree oven i put the pan in for 5-8 minutes depending on how you like your meat.

then after i take the pan out, be careful the handle of the pan will be hot, i throw in about 1-2 tablespoons of butter and herbs (rosemary, oregano, whatevs) and let it melt into the steak.

then you let your steak rest. do not cut it immediately fatboys.

as it rests either plate yyour sides or pour yourself a nice drink

and remember, you must also know the heat of your oven. not everyone has the same one.

MPLSdunk wrote:

Yup if you don't let your steak rest just throw it out
laugh.gif

swag
pimp.gif

my teacher is friends with the exec chef at a high end steak/seafood place around here.  dude went to bat for me and talked to his buddy and i got the job.

i can't wait to quit my job, arguably some of the best food in the midwest but the owner is a complete prick.

swag
pimp.gif

my teacher is friends with the exec chef at a high end steak/seafood place around here.  dude went to bat for me and talked to his buddy and i got the job.

i can't wait to quit my job, arguably some of the best food in the midwest but the owner is a complete prick.

Dope pictures from everyone. MPLS, Truth and anyone else who is seriously into food, I'll send you guys a PM, got a couple of questions for some of the dishes you guys made.
Keep it up, will post my contributions at a later date been busy lately.

Dope pictures from everyone. MPLS, Truth and anyone else who is seriously into food, I'll send you guys a PM, got a couple of questions for some of the dishes you guys made.
Keep it up, will post my contributions at a later date been busy lately.

Any tips on cooking with cast iron? I think I may have messed up my second skillet. Dont know what im doing wrong.

Any tips on cooking with cast iron? I think I may have messed up my second skillet. Dont know what im doing wrong.

yeah hit me with a pm if you want.

what did you do to it? for cast iron burn out the pan before you use it.  basically get it hot enough where it's smoking.  dump a little salt in and scrub it out with a paper towel.  you need that abrasiveness to clean it.  then put in a little canola oil and your ready to rock.  never run your cast iron pans in the washer.  just burn them out every time.

yeah hit me with a pm if you want.

what did you do to it? for cast iron burn out the pan before you use it.  basically get it hot enough where it's smoking.  dump a little salt in and scrub it out with a paper towel.  you need that abrasiveness to clean it.  then put in a little canola oil and your ready to rock.  never run your cast iron pans in the washer.  just burn them out every time.

damn i know other people on nt cook.  trying to keep this alive.  here's what i did today.

40 gallons of brown stock

blackened tilapia, i don't like tilapia but the seasoning made it bomb

some starters i did

tuna tar tar

salmon toro, i make it different usually but if this private party ordered it how i usually do it they would have spent 2k on salmon and the damn prep cooks didn't peel the cucumber.

self explanitory
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom