OFFICIAL CHEF/COOKS THREAD... VOL I wish these pics were scratch and sniff.

damn i know other people on nt cook.  trying to keep this alive.  here's what i did today.

40 gallons of brown stock

blackened tilapia, i don't like tilapia but the seasoning made it bomb

some starters i did

tuna tar tar

salmon toro, i make it different usually but if this private party ordered it how i usually do it they would have spent 2k on salmon and the damn prep cooks didn't peel the cucumber.

self explanitory
laugh.gif

Yo for those chefs in here. I'm really thinking about going to culinary school, I cook a lot at home nd I'm into healthy food and stuff, well I'd prolly make anything but I like to keep it healthy, wouldn't mind making something different nd delicious for anybody though. I've worked at restaurants in the past but not in the kitchen, more as a manager, I enjoy being in the kitchen, tasting foods from all over the world but never put my hands in a kitchen restaurant other than at home.my question is, how would I get started into culinary school? What would you recommend, I know community college is cheaper than A.I or Le cordon blue. At the same time at the cc u lose motivation since is not the same inviroment as a private school. I really wanna do it, I like te California art institute in San Francisco, because they also teach different cuisines from other countries, not just French. So from ur experience as chef, what would you recommend? How did that debt worked out if u went to the private one? Financial aid, scholarships nd all that.
Thanks in advance.

Yo for those chefs in here. I'm really thinking about going to culinary school, I cook a lot at home nd I'm into healthy food and stuff, well I'd prolly make anything but I like to keep it healthy, wouldn't mind making something different nd delicious for anybody though. I've worked at restaurants in the past but not in the kitchen, more as a manager, I enjoy being in the kitchen, tasting foods from all over the world but never put my hands in a kitchen restaurant other than at home.my question is, how would I get started into culinary school? What would you recommend, I know community college is cheaper than A.I or Le cordon blue. At the same time at the cc u lose motivation since is not the same inviroment as a private school. I really wanna do it, I like te California art institute in San Francisco, because they also teach different cuisines from other countries, not just French. So from ur experience as chef, what would you recommend? How did that debt worked out if u went to the private one? Financial aid, scholarships nd all that.
Thanks in advance.

i go to hospitality management school in switzerland and i just finished up an internship at the inn at little washington (5 star 5 diamond relais and chateaux restaurant and hotel), pretty much all of the chefs there that didn't study in france, studied at CIA. cia has the most respect in the industry and from what all the ppl i know who went there has told me, they have a really solid curriculum.not to say other culinary schools aren't good (i know the one in new england is pretty good too) but hyde park is the top in america. some fine *!+ pastry chefs there too 
pimp.gif

i go to hospitality management school in switzerland and i just finished up an internship at the inn at little washington (5 star 5 diamond relais and chateaux restaurant and hotel), pretty much all of the chefs there that didn't study in france, studied at CIA. cia has the most respect in the industry and from what all the ppl i know who went there has told me, they have a really solid curriculum.not to say other culinary schools aren't good (i know the one in new england is pretty good too) but hyde park is the top in america. some fine *!+ pastry chefs there too 
pimp.gif

Been on a seafood kick the past few weeks. Lightly seared grouper, goat cheese whipped new potatoes and a roasted tomato ragu.
smile.gif

Been on a seafood kick the past few weeks. Lightly seared grouper, goat cheese whipped new potatoes and a roasted tomato ragu.
smile.gif

That tuna tar tar looks awesome.  I need to learn how to make some since tuna is my favorite fish and I don't really eat any other kind.  I did a horrible job of making spicy tuna rolls recently but when I just put the spicy tuna in a bowl with rice it was an awesome meal.
n1co86ya, I was thinking of going to culinary school as well a few years ago but the tuition is crazy expensive.  Plus someone made a thread about it and the people who did go to school said it wasn't worth it.  Crazy long hours and little pay.  The ability to travel all around and learn sounded great though.  I'm sure people who are in the industry will chime in their experiences.

That tuna tar tar looks awesome.  I need to learn how to make some since tuna is my favorite fish and I don't really eat any other kind.  I did a horrible job of making spicy tuna rolls recently but when I just put the spicy tuna in a bowl with rice it was an awesome meal.
n1co86ya, I was thinking of going to culinary school as well a few years ago but the tuition is crazy expensive.  Plus someone made a thread about it and the people who did go to school said it wasn't worth it.  Crazy long hours and little pay.  The ability to travel all around and learn sounded great though.  I'm sure people who are in the industry will chime in their experiences.

Originally Posted by n1co86ya

Thanks in advance.
do not go to AI or LCB.  you're in california, if you're going to drop 40k on those schools you might as well spend 20 more and go to CIA.  LCB isn't all french though, don't get it confused with the real cordon bleu in france.  it's just a private school here robbing people blind and getting sued left and right by their students who cant find jobs.  AI and LCB are kind of a joke in the industry.  no offense to anyone who goes there but yea... i'm at a CC now.  in the industry my program is a much higher level of respect than those two schools.  my program is more in depth.  matter of fact one of my instructors just got came from cordon bleu to teach at my school just last week.  he didn't agree with what the school was doing so he left.

my advice is go to a CC.  do you really want a 12 year death sentence of student loans to pay off as a line cook?  yeah you'll make a living but you wont be rich, i'd avoid the debt of those schools especially since they have half assed programs.  i've gone to AI and catered for an event and a few of their students where there.  they didn't know anything.
laugh.gif
  you won't lose motivation at a CC if you truly enjoy it.  it's fun as hell man.  my homey i go to school with works at a restaurant here under a james beard award winning chef.  since we're not at work though we can just make bad %%+ food all day and take our time and practice our techniques. nobody who knows anything about being a cook will laugh at you for going to a CC, they know it's a smart decision. 

i don't know about the CC's out there but mine has great chefs.  one is from a michelin star winning restaraunt in germany. another cooked at the french laundry in california, another is just a boss and knows every exec chef in the city and best friends with another beard award winner.
laugh.gif
great guy to know.

talk to the guys you know who cook in good spots and ask them what they think is a good school in your area.  i'd go the CC route, if you're dead set on a private school go to CIA or save your money. it's about who you know, i got my first cooking job in a steak house serving 50 dollar plates getting paid good half way through my first semester thanks to knowing people.  talk to people get in somewhere and do a stage once you feel confident in the kitchen and land a job.
pimp.gif
  i hope i helped, i just don't want to see people wasting their money.

foolio. congrats and you're right for sure.  we got a few
pimp.gif
girls at my school too.  one just graduated though, i gotta stop in and eat at her restaurant.

looks bomb as hell shoemasta.  i need to actually plate some stuff up for this thread some time.
laugh.gif

shogun, it's easy.  for those right there i just take a 1" by 2" piece of ahi and hammer it out for the wrap.  then it's filled with chopped ahi mixed with a spicy aoli.  if you can make mayo you can make aoli.  or just buy some mayo.  you can season it with whatever though.  it also hits with wasabi mayo mixed in with it throw that joint on some toasted bread and you're good.
pimp.gif

Thanks in advance.
do not go to AI or LCB.  you're in california, if you're going to drop 40k on those schools you might as well spend 20 more and go to CIA.  LCB isn't all french though, don't get it confused with the real cordon bleu in france.  it's just a private school here robbing people blind and getting sued left and right by their students who cant find jobs.  AI and LCB are kind of a joke in the industry.  no offense to anyone who goes there but yea... i'm at a CC now.  in the industry my program is a much higher level of respect than those two schools.  my program is more in depth.  matter of fact one of my instructors just got came from cordon bleu to teach at my school just last week.  he didn't agree with what the school was doing so he left.

my advice is go to a CC.  do you really want a 12 year death sentence of student loans to pay off as a line cook?  yeah you'll make a living but you wont be rich, i'd avoid the debt of those schools especially since they have half assed programs.  i've gone to AI and catered for an event and a few of their students where there.  they didn't know anything.
laugh.gif
  you won't lose motivation at a CC if you truly enjoy it.  it's fun as hell man.  my homey i go to school with works at a restaurant here under a james beard award winning chef.  since we're not at work though we can just make bad %%+ food all day and take our time and practice our techniques. nobody who knows anything about being a cook will laugh at you for going to a CC, they know it's a smart decision. 

i don't know about the CC's out there but mine has great chefs.  one is from a michelin star winning restaraunt in germany. another cooked at the french laundry in california, another is just a boss and knows every exec chef in the city and best friends with another beard award winner.
laugh.gif
great guy to know.

talk to the guys you know who cook in good spots and ask them what they think is a good school in your area.  i'd go the CC route, if you're dead set on a private school go to CIA or save your money. it's about who you know, i got my first cooking job in a steak house serving 50 dollar plates getting paid good half way through my first semester thanks to knowing people.  talk to people get in somewhere and do a stage once you feel confident in the kitchen and land a job.
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
girls at my school too.  one just graduated though, i gotta stop in and eat at her restaurant.

looks bomb as hell shoemasta.  i need to actually plate some stuff up for this thread some time.
laugh.gif

shogun, it's easy.  for those right there i just take a 1" by 2" piece of ahi and hammer it out for the wrap.  then it's filled with chopped ahi mixed with a spicy aoli.  if you can make mayo you can make aoli.  or just buy some mayo.  you can season it with whatever though.  it also hits with wasabi mayo mixed in with it throw that joint on some toasted bread and you're good.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Thanks in advance.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
great guy to know.

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Thanks a lot man, I'm actually looking forward to do it pretty soon, at the same time not sure about which school to choose. That definitely opened my eyes a lil better since ur not the only person that has adviced me to do the cc way. I know it might take a lil longer, maybe not, it all depends on the effort but im more than ready to do what I like. At the moment I live in Stockton, ca. Don't really know much about how good cc's are around here when it come to culinary, at the same time I'm thinking about moving to the bay area nd work out there. So yeah, there's still moves I got to do. I'm hoping theres more chefs in this forum that will also put their thoughts or experience about this so, come at me bro. (nh)

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Thanks in advance.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
great guy to know.

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Thanks a lot man, I'm actually looking forward to do it pretty soon, at the same time not sure about which school to choose. That definitely opened my eyes a lil better since ur not the only person that has adviced me to do the cc way. I know it might take a lil longer, maybe not, it all depends on the effort but im more than ready to do what I like. At the moment I live in Stockton, ca. Don't really know much about how good cc's are around here when it come to culinary, at the same time I'm thinking about moving to the bay area nd work out there. So yeah, there's still moves I got to do. I'm hoping theres more chefs in this forum that will also put their thoughts or experience about this so, come at me bro. (nh)

ideas for preparing boneless, skinless chicken breasts?

i'm done with cajun seasoning and lawrys then throwing them on the george foreman
laugh.gif

ideas for preparing boneless, skinless chicken breasts?

i'm done with cajun seasoning and lawrys then throwing them on the george foreman
laugh.gif

Bros, I am going to make some fried chicken this upcoming Sunday and want to know the ideal amount of time to brine the chicken parts for. Going to use drumsticks and thighs but obviously dont want the final product too salty.

Bros, I am going to make some fried chicken this upcoming Sunday and want to know the ideal amount of time to brine the chicken parts for. Going to use drumsticks and thighs but obviously dont want the final product too salty.

Back
Top Bottom