OFFICIAL CHEF/COOKS THREAD... VOL I wish these pics were scratch and sniff.

Originally Posted by dont be a menace

Originally Posted by k b0mber

To all the professional chefs/cooks, what stations do you work ?? And what kind of cuisine do you cook ??

I used to do fish PM and got promoted to chef du partie/tournand cooking new-American/Californian/French cuisine. Since the hours suck, I quit cooking and now I sell wild mushrooms/truffles/vanilla to high end restaurants in the sf bay area.

i'm just an intern still. i'm in sf too btw.

my friend has the same idea as you going into specialized ingredients after interning as well due to the same reasons
laugh.gif
my dude i used to work with was one of the guys in the kitchen when brickhouse opened.

i work pantry and a little saute and broil.  i work at a steakhouse, kincaids.  i might dip soon though to a better spot that my boy cooks at, bar la grassa.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

To all the professional chefs/cooks, what stations do you work ?? And what kind of cuisine do you cook ??

I used to do fish PM and got promoted to chef du partie/tournand cooking new-American/Californian/French cuisine. Since the hours suck, I quit cooking and now I sell wild mushrooms/truffles/vanilla to high end restaurants in the sf bay area.

my friend has the same idea as you going into specialized ingredients after interning as well due to the same reasons
laugh.gif
my dude i used to work with was one of the guys in the kitchen when brickhouse opened.

i work pantry and a little saute and broil.  i work at a steakhouse, kincaids.  i might dip soon though to a better spot that my boy cooks at, bar la grassa.

did any of you went to culinary school or just learned from experience? if so, what do u guys recomend, cc or private( CIA)? and how is it working, talking money wise, hours, family time, etc..... 

laugh.gif

did any of you went to culinary school or just learned from experience? if so, what do u guys recomend, cc or private( CIA)? and how is it working, talking money wise, hours, family time, etc..... 

Originally Posted by n1co86ya

laugh.gif

i went to a cc with a culinary program (CCSF). i like the direction of the program. the students run the school cafeteria, we also have a "full service" restaurant next to it (although only for lunch hours), another restaurant in the downtown campus for a taste of being in the line (but only weekly events). and on the last semester, you're interning at a place you choose whether front of house or back of house.

money wise, i'm not spending a dime on tuition. i'm not even getting financial aid but as long as i fill up an application and is a full time student, the state covers it. hours are long, you're pretty much working when everyone else is off.

Originally Posted by n1co86ya

laugh.gif

i went to a cc with a culinary program (CCSF). i like the direction of the program. the students run the school cafeteria, we also have a "full service" restaurant next to it (although only for lunch hours), another restaurant in the downtown campus for a taste of being in the line (but only weekly events). and on the last semester, you're interning at a place you choose whether front of house or back of house.

money wise, i'm not spending a dime on tuition. i'm not even getting financial aid but as long as i fill up an application and is a full time student, the state covers it. hours are long, you're pretty much working when everyone else is off.

bro, i'm busy as hell and it sucks sometimes.  i cook full time and go to school full time, i had to take work off tonight just to do some homework.  it's worth it though.  me and my friends in school who are working cooking are miles ahead.

go to a cc, look up a good culinary program in a cc.  cia ridiculously expensive, i know guys who went there and they work the same places as the dudes who went to a cc.  no one cares about what school you went to.  it's all about making connections and talking to people.  to be honest the money sucks, but you should know that.  you don't do it for the money.  i'm not about to lie and say it's great money and bs you.  the good thing is it's easy to get a part time job or hustle on the side catering or whatever.  i'm at school 7am monday through friday and go straight to work and get off anywhere from 11pm to 1am.
sick.gif
  it's fine though, i knew what it would be like and i'm half done with school.

my best advice is just to go to a cheap school because it doesn't make or break anything.  it's all about getting that first job and moving up from there, once you're too comfortable time to find a new restaurant and keep learning.

bro, i'm busy as hell and it sucks sometimes.  i cook full time and go to school full time, i had to take work off tonight just to do some homework.  it's worth it though.  me and my friends in school who are working cooking are miles ahead.

go to a cc, look up a good culinary program in a cc.  cia ridiculously expensive, i know guys who went there and they work the same places as the dudes who went to a cc.  no one cares about what school you went to.  it's all about making connections and talking to people.  to be honest the money sucks, but you should know that.  you don't do it for the money.  i'm not about to lie and say it's great money and bs you.  the good thing is it's easy to get a part time job or hustle on the side catering or whatever.  i'm at school 7am monday through friday and go straight to work and get off anywhere from 11pm to 1am.
sick.gif
  it's fine though, i knew what it would be like and i'm half done with school.

my best advice is just to go to a cheap school because it doesn't make or break anything.  it's all about getting that first job and moving up from there, once you're too comfortable time to find a new restaurant and keep learning.

i personally do not have any experience working in a kitchen other than mine, and the jobs i've had have been managing restaurants... i love cooking though, do it all the time at home. In the other hand am debating if getting myself in debt just because is the CIA. i've talked to chefs from many places and they all have gone to school somewhere out of the states nd stuff. at the time i stay in stockton with the wife nd son but this $@*#$ city sucks, i lived in sf before nd know that when it comes to restaurants thats the place to be, also know a few people that may hook it up with a job cooking, but first i need to see what fits best. i like the idea of cc nd will look more into the one in sf.

i personally do not have any experience working in a kitchen other than mine, and the jobs i've had have been managing restaurants... i love cooking though, do it all the time at home. In the other hand am debating if getting myself in debt just because is the CIA. i've talked to chefs from many places and they all have gone to school somewhere out of the states nd stuff. at the time i stay in stockton with the wife nd son but this $@*#$ city sucks, i lived in sf before nd know that when it comes to restaurants thats the place to be, also know a few people that may hook it up with a job cooking, but first i need to see what fits best. i like the idea of cc nd will look more into the one in sf.

bored at the house so i made a tres leches cake.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tres-leches-milk-cake/

corn muffins with mango habanero jelly. no recipe for the jelly since i just did it off the top of my head.  but basically you make a simple syrup half cup sugar with a quarter cup water and quarter cup rice wine vinegar.  throw in a diced up mango and dice up 3 habaneros.  i also dumped in a bottle of that naked smoothie mango stuff. then i just reduced it for a while and thickened it with some arrowroot.  added some orange zest and squeezed the orange in after i cooked it so it wouldn't get bitter.

muffin recipe
laugh.gif
don't use shortening, use butter.

bored at the house so i made a tres leches cake.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tres-leches-milk-cake/

corn muffins with mango habanero jelly. no recipe for the jelly since i just did it off the top of my head.  but basically you make a simple syrup half cup sugar with a quarter cup water and quarter cup rice wine vinegar.  throw in a diced up mango and dice up 3 habaneros.  i also dumped in a bottle of that naked smoothie mango stuff. then i just reduced it for a while and thickened it with some arrowroot.  added some orange zest and squeezed the orange in after i cooked it so it wouldn't get bitter.

muffin recipe
laugh.gif
don't use shortening, use butter.

I graduated from CCA 7 years ago. I've worked every station a kitchen has to offer. Here's my advice, take it if you want...

Cooking school is damn expensive, and expect to get paid very little as a cook, especially if you want to work in a higher end restaurant. Alot of cooks i know have 2 jobs just to pay the bills. Getting a job in a country club or a hotel will pay you slightly more...

Expect to work long hours, have weird days off, miss sporting/social events, garbage pay, dirty mexicans, and sous chefs screaming in your face.

If you LOVE cooking, then go for it. The satisfaction you get when you manage to survive dinner service, when people love your food, is priceless.

And if you need wild mushrooms, vanilla products, truffle products, or caviar, let me know. I got you
How did you get in the business of selling mushrooms, truffles, etc.? Is it your own business? I've always wanted to get into it because I hear the margins are 
pimp.gif
! PM me if needed, serious about the business. I'm in the Bay too.

I graduated from CCA 7 years ago. I've worked every station a kitchen has to offer. Here's my advice, take it if you want...

Cooking school is damn expensive, and expect to get paid very little as a cook, especially if you want to work in a higher end restaurant. Alot of cooks i know have 2 jobs just to pay the bills. Getting a job in a country club or a hotel will pay you slightly more...

Expect to work long hours, have weird days off, miss sporting/social events, garbage pay, dirty mexicans, and sous chefs screaming in your face.

If you LOVE cooking, then go for it. The satisfaction you get when you manage to survive dinner service, when people love your food, is priceless.

And if you need wild mushrooms, vanilla products, truffle products, or caviar, let me know. I got you
How did you get in the business of selling mushrooms, truffles, etc.? Is it your own business? I've always wanted to get into it because I hear the margins are 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tee eye ehm

Expect to work long hours, have weird days off, miss sporting/social events, garbage pay, mexicans, and sous chefs screaming in your face.

pimp.gif

The guy I work with used to deliver to a restaurant I was cooking at. His business was expanding like crazy and I decided to join him. The profit margins are not bad... If the spot u work at can use my products let me know. Pm me if u want more info

Originally Posted by tee eye ehm

Expect to work long hours, have weird days off, miss sporting/social events, garbage pay, mexicans, and sous chefs screaming in your face.

pimp.gif

The guy I work with used to deliver to a restaurant I was cooking at. His business was expanding like crazy and I decided to join him. The profit margins are not bad... If the spot u work at can use my products let me know. Pm me if u want more info

MPLS- good looking. Jam was
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Made the jam (put extra seeds for heat), homemade biscuit and fried chicken cutlets. Had a good sandwich

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Made the jam (put extra seeds for heat), homemade biscuit and fried chicken cutlets. Had a good sandwich

Originally Posted by NycPosite

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

glad it came out proper.  did my vague instructions help and did you use the naked smoothy also?

Originally Posted by NycPosite

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

glad it came out proper.  did my vague instructions help and did you use the naked smoothy also?

Any of you fine folks have recipes for bison steaks?

I bought two at Sundays farmers market, totaling 1lb, totaling $22.50
alien.gif

I hope they're worth it. I love what and where they come from, so i'm happy with my purchase
smile.gif

Any of you fine folks have recipes for bison steaks?

I bought two at Sundays farmers market, totaling 1lb, totaling $22.50
alien.gif

I hope they're worth it. I love what and where they come from, so i'm happy with my purchase
smile.gif

i'd just treat it like a regular steak myself.  brush it with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper and let the meat speak for it's self.  just make sure you don't overcook it since it's super lean and will dry out quick.

props for going with some ethically raised food.  it's worth the money.

i'd just treat it like a regular steak myself.  brush it with olive oil, kosher salt and pepper and let the meat speak for it's self.  just make sure you don't overcook it since it's super lean and will dry out quick.

props for going with some ethically raised food.  it's worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom