Official Dwyane Wade to Jordan Brand Thread

From the Converse side of things I'll be talking about this over at The Converse Blog later on today...come check it out. Buthere is the official AP release.

Wade leaving Converse, going to Nike Jordan Brand

By TIM REYNOLDS (AP) - 3 hours ago

NBA scoring champion Dwyane Wade is changing shoes, making the switch from Converse to Nike's Jordan Brand.

Nike announced Friday that the star Miami Heat guard will now be representing the Jumpman label, joining the likes of Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony and DerekJeter.

Wade had three years remaining on his deal with Converse, which had him as the centerpiece of its attempt to reinvigorate the company's once-thrivingbasketball business. That relationship seemed rocky when the 2006 NBA finals MVP rarely wore his most recently released signature shoe, the "Wade 4,"last season, favoring an older model instead.

The Jordan Brand is a 12-year-old division of Nike, which also owns Converse.

"I grew up on the south side of Chicago idolizing Michael Jordan and have worked hard to achieve the same success that he's had on the court,"Wade said. "I have enormous respect for this brand."

Wade told The Associated Press that he inquired about switching allegiances from Converse to Jordan's brand before the 2008 Beijing Olympics, doing so,he said, out of concern over Converse's long-term viability in the basketball marketplace.

The 2008 request was declined, but earlier this month, Wade said he was "almost positive" a switch would happen.

"I didn't want to be in the Converse brand anymore because it seemed like they didn't know what to do with me," Wade told The AP.

Coming off a year where the Heat went from 15 to 43 wins and Wade won his first scoring title, Nike apparently agreed that the switch now made sense.

"I'm thrilled to have Dwyane Wade join the Team Jordan family," Michael Jordan said.

The deal was finalized Thursday afternoon. Complete terms were not released, although it was believed that the new deal, at minimum, matches the remainingthree years on the Converse contract.

It's a significant add to Wade's endorsement resume, which already includes deals with T-Mobile and Gatorade.

"I want to go global," said Wade, who is planning a trip to China later this summer for a series of business meetings and appearances."It's something I feel like I have to do. I want to continue to build my brand."

Wade made a cryptic reference to the move on his Twitter feed late Thursday night, saying he had "good news coming.....stay tuned." Dozens ofpeople quickly starting pleading for more information, even Wimbledon finalist Andy Roddick, who inquired via Twitter if that was Wade's way of saying hehad agreed to a contract extension with the Heat.

The move wasn't totally unexpected: As recently as last week, Wade was at a charity event with children in Miami wearing apparel featuring the Jumpmanlogo, prompting one of the kids he was meeting with to ask if he still was aligned with Converse.

Wade donned a blue pair of Converse sneakers at the Zo's Summer Groove game he co-hosted Sunday with Alonzo Mourning.

That'll likely be his last appearance in that brand. A "Wade 5" shoe was to be released by Converse in the coming weeks, although it now seemslikely that orders from retailers for that model will be canceled.

From the Converse side of things I'll be talking about this over at The Converse Blog later on today...come check it out. Buthere is the official AP release.

Wade leaving Converse, going to Nike Jordan Brand

By TIM REYNOLDS (AP) - 3 hours ago

NBA scoring champion Dwyane Wade is changing shoes, making the switch from Converse to Nike's Jordan Brand.

Nike announced Friday that the star Miami Heat guard will now be representing the Jumpman label, joining the likes of Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony and DerekJeter.

Wade had three years remaining on his deal with Converse, which had him as the centerpiece of its attempt to reinvigorate the company's once-thrivingbasketball business. That relationship seemed rocky when the 2006 NBA finals MVP rarely wore his most recently released signature shoe, the "Wade 4,"last season, favoring an older model instead.

The Jordan Brand is a 12-year-old division of Nike, which also owns Converse.

"I grew up on the south side of Chicago idolizing Michael Jordan and have worked hard to achieve the same success that he's had on the court,"Wade said. "I have enormous respect for this brand."

Wade told The Associated Press that he inquired about switching allegiances from Converse to Jordan's brand before the 2008 Beijing Olympics, doing so,he said, out of concern over Converse's long-term viability in the basketball marketplace.

The 2008 request was declined, but earlier this month, Wade said he was "almost positive" a switch would happen.

"I didn't want to be in the Converse brand anymore because it seemed like they didn't know what to do with me," Wade told The AP.

Coming off a year where the Heat went from 15 to 43 wins and Wade won his first scoring title, Nike apparently agreed that the switch now made sense.

"I'm thrilled to have Dwyane Wade join the Team Jordan family," Michael Jordan said.

The deal was finalized Thursday afternoon. Complete terms were not released, although it was believed that the new deal, at minimum, matches the remainingthree years on the Converse contract.

It's a significant add to Wade's endorsement resume, which already includes deals with T-Mobile and Gatorade.

"I want to go global," said Wade, who is planning a trip to China later this summer for a series of business meetings and appearances."It's something I feel like I have to do. I want to continue to build my brand."

Wade made a cryptic reference to the move on his Twitter feed late Thursday night, saying he had "good news coming.....stay tuned." Dozens ofpeople quickly starting pleading for more information, even Wimbledon finalist Andy Roddick, who inquired via Twitter if that was Wade's way of saying hehad agreed to a contract extension with the Heat.

The move wasn't totally unexpected: As recently as last week, Wade was at a charity event with children in Miami wearing apparel featuring the Jumpmanlogo, prompting one of the kids he was meeting with to ask if he still was aligned with Converse.

Wade donned a blue pair of Converse sneakers at the Zo's Summer Groove game he co-hosted Sunday with Alonzo Mourning.

That'll likely be his last appearance in that brand. A "Wade 5" shoe was to be released by Converse in the coming weeks, although it now seemslikely that orders from retailers for that model will be canceled.

Yeah, nothing special. I would honestly rather wear a pair of Converse than a JB Team Sig Shoe. D Wade needed a Nike Shoe, not a JB shoe. I think the Melos andCP3's are horrendous. Its pretty sad when I walked in Footlocker the other day and all 4 colorways of the CP3 II were just sitting there collecting dust.Now we will just get another ugly JB shoe. Didnt JB realize from the Retro I that the Jumpman doesnt look better in place of the swoosh. Thats why Im glad Kobewent with Nike.

Yeah, nothing special. I would honestly rather wear a pair of Converse than a JB Team Sig Shoe. D Wade needed a Nike Shoe, not a JB shoe. I think the Melos andCP3's are horrendous. Its pretty sad when I walked in Footlocker the other day and all 4 colorways of the CP3 II were just sitting there collecting dust.Now we will just get another ugly JB shoe. Didnt JB realize from the Retro I that the Jumpman doesnt look better in place of the swoosh. Thats why Im glad Kobewent with Nike.

Here is the official release from Converse.

Converse has enjoyed being a part of Dwyane's meteoric rise to the top of the basketball world. We have had an amazing professional and personal relationship with him and we thank Dwyane for his commitment to our brand. As he joins Jordan Brand, we know his Chicago roots and his on-and off-court style will be a great fit.

Converse is focused on creating quality basketball footwear in the mid-level price point range. In past years, we celebrated Dwyane's success by creating a higher priced signature shoes and saw great success with our Wade business. With Dwyane joining the Jordan Brand, we are continuing to meet our long-standing objective of offering high performing, functional basketball shoes at a mid-level price point.

More information later over at The Converse Blog.

Converse has enjoyed being a part of Dwyane's meteoric rise to the top of the basketball world. We have had an amazing professional and personal relationship with him and we thank Dwyane for his commitment to our brand. As he joins Jordan Brand, we know his Chicago roots and his on-and off-court style will be a great fit.

Converse is focused on creating quality basketball footwear in the mid-level price point range. In past years, we celebrated Dwyane's success by creating a higher priced signature shoes and saw great success with our Wade business. With Dwyane joining the Jordan Brand, we are continuing to meet our long-standing objective of offering high performing, functional basketball shoes at a mid-level price point.

You seriously had to make a new thread after the 4 page thread already made.......?

And now it's locked.....awesome....

You seriously had to make a new thread after the 4 page thread already made.......?

And now it's locked.....awesome....

interesting...There has to be some sketches of a sig shoe by now. Jordan Flash or something.

interesting...There has to be some sketches of a sig shoe by now. Jordan Flash or something.

Originally Posted by GilsonKY

Converse
has enjoyed being a part of Dwyane's meteoric rise to the top of the basketball
world. We have had an amazing professional and personal relationship with
him and we thank Dwyane for his commitment to our brand. As he joins Jordan
Brand, we know his Chicago roots and his on-and off-court style
will be a great fit.

Converse is focused on creating quality basketball
footwear in the mid-level price point range. In past years, we celebrated
Dwyane's success by creating a higher priced signature shoes and saw great
success with our Wade business. With Dwyane joining the Jordan Brand, we are
continuing to meet our long-standing objective of offering high performing,
functional basketball shoes at a mid-level price point.

Ouch. Nike must have told Converse it's mostly Kohl's and Target business going forward.

The press release keeps reaffirming this "mid-level price point" positioning for the brand. LOL

Originally Posted by GilsonKY

Converse
has enjoyed being a part of Dwyane's meteoric rise to the top of the basketball
world. We have had an amazing professional and personal relationship with
him and we thank Dwyane for his commitment to our brand. As he joins Jordan
Brand, we know his Chicago roots and his on-and off-court style
will be a great fit.

Converse is focused on creating quality basketball
footwear in the mid-level price point range. In past years, we celebrated
Dwyane's success by creating a higher priced signature shoes and saw great
success with our Wade business. With Dwyane joining the Jordan Brand, we are
continuing to meet our long-standing objective of offering high performing,
functional basketball shoes at a mid-level price point.

Ouch. Nike must have told Converse it's mostly Kohl's and Target business going forward.

The press release keeps reaffirming this "mid-level price point" positioning for the brand. LOL

ill make an Official official post to lock this up also..................jk

ill make an Official official post to lock this up also..................jk

Since the other one was locked, I'll copy & paste it here:

I would have much rathered seen him go with nike with his own sig but JB's better then Cons

Since the other one was locked, I'll copy & paste it here:

I would have much rathered seen him go with nike with his own sig but JB's better then Cons

Back
Top Bottom