Official Entrepreneur thread...vol. I'm a BOSS!

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

Executive76: yes
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Much Respected

^ what business are you running recycledpaper?

i have an HID/xenon kit business. it's your standard wholesale/retail e-commerce setup. the business stems from my car hobby back when i was a senior in high school (now 23) and it's been going steady ever since, minus a hiccup with an ex business partner.

i am also in the mobile food truck business that's recently caught fire in los angeles. i hope to launch a new food truck company sometime in july. right now i'm pressed for time because i'm studying for the MCATs... i'd still rather be a doctor above all else, even though the pay/hour isn't that great
frown.gif

recycledpaper wrote:
this guy is doing it wrong.

you will only work 24/7 if you WANT TO. why do you think people want to be business OWNERS? cuz they wanna OWN the business, not WORK on the business everyday. you say you envy the 9-5 people, but for what? vacation time? how about vacation whenever you want to because you have an automated system? how about never getting yelled at by ANYONE and never having to answer to ANYONE? yeah you don't get that with a 9-5 job.

the people who WORK 24/7 are 1) too cheap to want to pay wages to employees, 2) too lazy to hire and train, and/or 3) too lazy to revamp the way they do business and make it more efficient

This is probably the most ill-advised comment I've read all day.

First. When you're a business owner, you don't want to work 24/7. You NEED too. Your on the clock all day, every day. Here's a perfect example. This morning, I got a call from my ADT security company at 7:30 in the morning saying there was a possible break-in because something triggered the alarm. So the police were notified and I had to jump out of bed to my car and meet them there ASAP, at 7:30 with no shower, brushing teeth etc. Come to find out, a paper-thin poster had fell off the window and the motion from poster falling triggered the sensor
laugh.gif

On the way to my store, I was like this:
mad.gif
 "I swear to God if I catch whoever robbed me Im gonna ..."

Well I got there before the police did and I immediately went:
eek.gif
grin.gif
indifferent.gif
pimp.gif
 after seeing no glass broken and the poster laying in the middle of my store.
laugh.gif

So to recycledpaper, I take it you have a lot to learn about being an entrepeneur. You can't just hire anyone to run your hard-earned business. You can't just trust anyone. A bad employee can be the downfall of your business. That is why you'll usually see family operated franchise business. Ill stop right here.

Recycledpaper, you're talking out of your !$#. That is not the way it works. Nor has it ever worked that way.

The majority of businesses that are run with a hands off approach by the owner are your typical piece of #%!+. They are just getting by because there is sufficient demand that even a number of poorly run businesses can "succeed".

I work with a guy who has the same train of thought as you. He thinks that owners can just hire people, sit back, and rake in the profits.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

recycledpaper wrote:

you will only work 24/7 if you WANT TO. why do you think people want to be business OWNERS? cuz they wanna OWN the business, not WORK on the business everyday. you say you envy the 9-5 people, but for what? vacation time? how about vacation whenever you want to because you have an automated system? how about never getting yelled at by ANYONE and never having to answer to ANYONE? yeah you don't get that with a 9-5 job.

the people who WORK 24/7 are 1) too cheap to want to pay wages to employees, 2) too lazy to hire and train, and/or 3) too lazy to revamp the way they do business and make it more efficient

First. When you're a business owner, you don't want to work 24/7. You NEED too. Your on the clock all day, every day. Here's a perfect example. This morning, I got a call from my ADT security company at 7:30 in the morning saying there was a possible break-in because something triggered the alarm. So the police were notified and I had to jump out of bed to my car and meet them there ASAP, at 7:30 with no shower, brushing teeth etc. Come to find out, a paper-thin poster had fell off the window and the motion from poster falling triggered the sensor
laugh.gif

mad.gif

eek.gif
grin.gif
indifferent.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

So to recycledpaper, I take it you have a lot to learn about being an entrepeneur. You can't just hire anyone to run your hard-earned business. You can't just trust anyone. A bad employee can be the downfall of your business. That is why you'll usually see family operated franchise business. Ill stop right here.

i am young, i always have a lot to learn, and i do appreciate you taking the time to tell me your story. i do agree that when certain things happen, your presence and attention is needed and no one else's will suffice. when the DHL van that was supposed to deliver our weeks shipment was stolen at gunpoint, i was the one on the phones and i was the one making sure our insurance claim went through and we got compensated.

but for everything else, my presence is not required. that is the point i'm trying to make. i allow people certain decision-making abilities if it's under a certain cost level so that i do not have to be bothered with trivial issues. that is my way of streamlining everything so i can focus on other things, maybe spend time with my family before it's too late, spend the day listening to my vinyl collection, etc. where we share similarities is that in both of our cases, they're not your average responsibilities. does your alarm go off that often? no it doesn't. if you're managing your store, can you find and hire a trustworthy manager to fill in your position? yes you can, if you have good interview skills (not saying you don't). would you be willing to pay the manager almost 50% of your store's profits in order to keep them around and make your life easier? that's the problem most business owners face because on one hand, that extra 50% profit is VERY nice and heck, why pay someone else when you can do it yourself? but then you find yourself complaining that owning your own business is a pain in the +%$, the hours are long, haven't had a vacation in 10+ years, etc etc. these problems can all be avoided but most are just too greedy to accept the solution that's right in front of them. it's easy to quantify money, you can touch it and feel it and spend it and count it. time... not so much.

but yeah, again i respect everyone that's posting in here because it really does take a special skill set and passion to do something you love and to make a profitable business from it. i'm just trying to argue that time is a very valuable asset that also plays into how successful a business is. and i think that's the #1 complaint business owners have is that running their business takes too much of their time.

sorry if some of the things i said don't make 100% sense.. i'm a bit tired.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Recycledpaper, you're talking out of your %@%. That is not the way it works. Nor has it ever worked that way.

The majority of businesses that are run with a hands off approach by the owner are your typical piece of !**+ businesses that are just getting by because there is sufficient demand that even a number of poorly run businesses can "succeed".

I work with a guy who has the same train of thought as you. He thinks that owners can just hire people, sit back, and rake in the profits.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

so what about all the businesses that started off with just one store but are now full blown corporations? they all have to start somewhere. hell amazon started off in the founder's garage and i'm sure as hell he aint working 24/7 in order for amazon to stay running now lol.

recycledpaper wrote:

laugh.gif

mad.gif

eek.gif
grin.gif
indifferent.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

i am young, i always have a lot to learn, and i do appreciate you taking the time to tell me your story. i do agree that when certain things happen, your presence and attention is needed and no one else's will suffice. when the DHL van that was supposed to deliver our weeks shipment was stolen at gunpoint, i was the one on the phones and i was the one making sure our insurance claim went through and we got compensated.

but for everything else, my presence is not required. that is the point i'm trying to make. i allow people certain decision-making abilities if it's under a certain cost level so that i do not have to be bothered with trivial issues. that is my way of streamlining everything so i can focus on other things, maybe spend time with my family before it's too late, spend the day listening to my vinyl collection, etc. where we share similarities is that in both of our cases, they're not your average responsibilities. does your alarm go off that often? no it doesn't. if you're managing your store, can you find and hire a trustworthy manager to fill in your position? yes you can, if you have good interview skills (not saying you don't). would you be willing to pay the manager almost 50% of your store's profits in order to keep them around and make your life easier? that's the problem most business owners face because on one hand, that extra 50% profit is VERY nice and heck, why pay someone else when you can do it yourself? but then you find yourself complaining that owning your own business is a pain in the +%$, the hours are long, haven't had a vacation in 10+ years, etc etc. these problems can all be avoided but most are just too greedy to accept the solution that's right in front of them. it's easy to quantify money, you can touch it and feel it and spend it and count it. time... not so much.

but yeah, again i respect everyone that's posting in here because it really does take a special skill set and passion to do something you love and to make a profitable business from it. i'm just trying to argue that time is a very valuable asset that also plays into how successful a business is. and i think that's the #1 complaint business owners have is that running their business takes too much of their time.

...the only thing is, soon, if that Manager is anywhere near intelligent ( and if you're business is successful then I'm assuming he may be  ), he will leave and start his own operation. He'll realize that he's actually running the business and only making 50% of the profits.

Executive76: yes

bc60997: no, it's not. it's the difference between successful and smart business owners and your average, run of the mill business owners. why do you think some entrepreneurs are known to own multiple businesses? once they have a set system + trusted employees running the show, they start on another business. that's the only thing i can think of where you're working long hours because you're constantly working on something new. but after a year in business and you're still working 24/7? something is wrong with your business plan or you are spending wayyyyy too much than is necessary. that's what i call a FAILING BUSINESS. even if your company is making profit, you have failed because you are putting too much time into your business. how can you expect to enjoy the fruits of labor when you're busting your %%# everyday? a successful business can run without a hitch even if the owner/founder isn't there.
you are never going to be rich with that attitude
some people were born rich, others have to work their @sses off
we can talk about the big business tycoons, the top riches people in the world stuck by their business and that is how they got rich
you are telling me people like bill gates steve jobs warren buffet larry ellison li ka shing just chills and watch the stock prices soar?
when you do business you don't just look at it like a profit maker, you at it as it is part of your life.
successful entrepreneurs got to where they are because they all had a vision to shape up the market. to provide satisfaction.
you dont have what it takes to be one

Recycledpaper, you're talking out of your %@%. That is not the way it works. Nor has it ever worked that way.

The majority of businesses that are run with a hands off approach by the owner are your typical piece of !**+ businesses that are just getting by because there is sufficient demand that even a number of poorly run businesses can "succeed".

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

so what about all the businesses that started off with just one store but are now full blown corporations? they all have to start somewhere. hell amazon started off in the founder's garage and i'm sure as hell he aint working 24/7 in order for amazon to stay running now lol.
First off, public and private corporations have 2 entirely different structures. You want to talk about private or public?

Secondly, I would say that Bezos works a hell of a lot more than you give him credit for.

roora85 wrote:
REMEMBER THIS WILL BE YOUR LIFE. YOU WILL WORK 24/7.

I ENVY people with 9-5 jobs. weekends off, and vacation time with benefits/insurance and so on.
This. Man. Knows. What. He's. Talking. About.

I haven't had a day off in 44 days; literally. For 10-12 hours a day, I'm at my store. It's all I know. I have not went to a mall or anything of that nature in God knows how long..
laugh.gif
 But I am blessed to be in this position that I'm in. The decisions I made with the people I know lead me to where I am. 

Words of advice to anyone looking to become an entrepreneur/business owner: enjoy your freedom now, and your assets later..

Read "The four hour workweek" ... 
glasses.gif

recycledpaper wrote:

laugh.gif

mad.gif

eek.gif
grin.gif
indifferent.gif
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

...the only thing is, soon, if that Manager is anywhere near intelligent ( and if you're business is successful then I'm assuming he may be  ), he will leave and start his own operation. He'll realize that he's actually running the business and only making 50% of the profits.

then you let him walk
laugh.gif
. how many managers you know quit their job at pizza hut to start their own pizza hut? how about quitting a management job at sport chalet to open another sport chalet? it's called complacency and a majority of people are very complacent.

so who wants to make a really quick and clean logo for me

the business name is Reeke-Marold Company

just need the name and the logo in it....the logo is jsut simply RM

then you let him walk
laugh.gif
. how many managers you know quit their job at pizza hut to start their own pizza hut? how about quitting a management job at sport chalet to open another sport chalet? it's called complacency and a majority of people are very complacent.

Your logic doesn't make much sense.
A complacent person would not make a good manager. If you entrust the bulk of your operations to a manager then that means he would have to be the opposite of complacent if you were to succeed.

You are trying to apply a public corporate structure to a private business/ corporation. It doesn't work. Two entirely different beasts.

Again, I'll say it. In a majority of markets there is enough  demand even to  sustain (some) poorly run businesses. If you are a hands off owner, you will "get got" and you will bleed talent constantly.

Animal Thug, I'm looking to open a metro store next year with a friend when I have enough money. Any advice?do or don't do?

Originally Posted by senor chang

Animal Thug, I'm looking to open a metro store next year with a friend when I have enough money. Any advice?do or don't do?

Do. Definitely.

BUT, I would try and acquire the franchise ASAP before the year ends. It's getting harder and harder everyday to get a metroPCS franchise due to the fact that some markets feel that they're being maxed out per capita; some franchises are even being closed down due to certain numbers not being met. I would highly recommend  that if you can - do get started this year because in the 1st quarter of 2011, metroPCS will be going 4G internet speeds (or LTE). That should attract in influx of new customers which in time means more new accounts, which is what our metroPCS reps love.

MetroPCS will also have an android software phone coming out soon...
nerd.gif
 but you didn't hear that from me
laugh.gif

senor chang, what city/state are you planning on franchising in?

Lmfao @ recycled paper... there are different kinds of businesses and customers.
Blanket statements like that are dumb and coming off like that is offensive.

But lmfao @ "you'll never get rich with that attitude", like karma controls who makes what.
Scumbags make money, nice people make money, stupid people make money.. There is no "deserving money".

A sales gig that allows you endless autonomy is the best compromise between employee and entrepreneur.

Originally Posted by roora85

i own 3 brick and mortar sneaker/clothing stores and a pretty successful online website, no I will not mention what site it is. I will stay anonymous.

my advice to anyone who wants to get in to this business; DON'T. This will become your life, if you like it then go for it but prepare to be in debt for a long time. The days when you make money from a brick and mortar store aka mom and pop shop are over. everything is debt, more debt and bills.

if you decide to do a shop, then do something related to service, and no products. the hardest part about a sneaker store is ordering merchandise. YOU WILL NEVER ORDER ONLY THE HOT STUFF THAT SELLS. Out of the 1500 pairs of sneakers i order each month, i might sell about 400-500 a month. yes that is all. you will be stuck with the other 1000 and then pray to GOD for them to sell. if you do not understand this, go to your local mall and look at macys. DO YOU SEE HOW MANY ITEMS ARE ON SALE? why do you think they are on sale? BECAUSE THEY DONT SELL. and you will be stuck in the same situation and so on.

REMEMBER THIS WILL BE YOUR LIFE. YOU WILL WORK 24/7.

I ENVY people with 9-5 jobs. weekends off, and vacation time with benefits/insurance and so on.

You picked the wrong business, and unsuccessful. There will soon be nothing in that market. Stay anonymous.

This thread could be
pimp.gif
for young-+#+ people looking for a career/business. could be.

*bookmarked*/posting for later.

then you let him walk
laugh.gif

Your logic doesn't make much sense.
A complacent person would not make a good manager. If you entrust the bulk of your operations to a manager then that means he would have to be the opposite of complacent if you were to succeed.

You are trying to apply a public corporate structure to a private business/ corporation. It doesn't work. Two entirely different beasts.

Again, I'll say it. In a majority of markets there is enough  demand even to  sustain (some) poorly run businesses. If you are a hands off owner, you will "get got" and you will bleed talent constantly.

first of all... if you not being involved with the business 24/7 = a poorly run business, you have a BIG BIG problem. you shouldn't even be in this position if your business plan was on point and your figures were accurate. now...

why wouldn't a complacent person make a good manager? you give em a good job with responsibilities with good/fair pay, they're gonna like what they're doing and be with you as you expand. they won't have thoughts of starting something on their own because they're already happy with what they have now. maybe you're thinking of people who are are lazy or complacent with not doing work, in which case they obviously wouldn't be because you weed those out in the interview process.

also, something that helps a lot is to teach them enough to do everything you need them to but not enough for them to start their own business. and if you're operating a pretty well-known business with a brand name, that name doesn't go with them if they start their own business and they know that. things like that matter and are the reasons why people don't just quit their jobs to open a similar business of their own. if you're getting paid $60-70k for a management position with possibility for raises/promotions, why the hell would you ditch that to start a competing company? that doesn't make sense to me.

IMO, the perfect business is an automated one that doesn't require a lot of time and effort by the owner/founder. if you're working 15 hours a day, that's great but only if YOU ARE PUTTING THAT IN VOLUNTARILY. if you're working 15 hours a day and *****ing about it on NT, that's when you know you need to give your business a second look and find out how to run things more efficiently. NO BUSINESS OWNER WANTS TO WORK 15 HOURS A DAY FOR THE REST OF THEIR BUSINESS' EXISTENCE. that is the biggest BS i have ever heard. if they say that, THEY ARE LYING. hell, the whole reason people start their own business is because they want to avoid the time-sapping 9-5 jobs everyone else has. if you told someone that having their own business = 15 hour days instead of 8 hour days, NO ONE WILL WANT TO OPEN THEIR OWN BUSINESS.

My niche/focus right now is building a large user base on a few niche websites and then generate passive income through affiliate programs and direct sales advertising. I'm leveraging what I'm learning from my "9-5" as a business development analyst at an advertising technology company.

Does anyone know of any good forums/sites for entrepreneurs or internet business?

Thanks!

I was seriously thinking of a Metro store a while back I know a good location out here in The Bay thats available too. I was also considering a Buffalo Exchange Franchise, but I'm sure Metro would be more lucrative. Animal Thug where you at again Redwood City? Or Freemont?

Back
Top Bottom