OFFICIAL HEADPHONE THREAD VOL. iPod earbuds hurt

so i'm looking to put my iTouch into use again after a hiatus...

i'm looking for spend about $80 for some good ones. whichever ones you would recommend from Bestbuy.com up to $120 in price would be my "retail"budget since i'll be getting em for cheaper.

What should I be looking for? Brands? Features?

I figure everyone can ask questions in here and get some good advice and pointers.
smile.gif

Copied and pasted from another forum I visit... iem = in ear monitor:

I'm rather cheap but I want good headphones. ($0-25)

iem
JVC HA-FX 33/34 "Marshmallow"
JVC HA-FX 66 "Air Cushion"
JVC HA-FX 55
These ones are about $25

ear-clip
Koss KSC-75

earbud
JVC gumy
Yuin PK1
Yuin PK2
Yuin PK3

I'm not that cheap, I just want something value ($50-100)

iem
Denon C351
Creative EP630
Sennheiser CX300
Westone 1
j-jays
Etymotic ER6i
Shure SE110
Denon C551

Full-Size
iGrado
Grado SR60
Grado SR80
Sennheiser HD280
Alessandro MS1
Denon D1000/D1001
Ranges from $50-100, ascending in price

I have some money to spend on headphones and I want something great ($100-200)

iem
Westone 1
D-Jays
Etymotic ER4p
Shure SE210
Denon C700/750/751
Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 pro
All these are closer to $150, give or take a bit

Full Size
Audiotechnica AD700
Grado SR125
Grado SR225Beyerdynamic DT770

I have more than $200 to spend.

iem
UE Triple Fi 10
Shure SE420
Shure SE530 / SE530pth
Westone 2
Livewires
FreQ Shows
These range from about $250 (livewires) to $350 (Triple.Fi, SE530)

Full Size
Grado SR325i (Do note, these are very love/hate; Extremely agressive compared to regular grados. Try them before you buy them, for sure)
Alessandro MS2/MS2i
Audiotechnica AD900
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650
AKG K701
Denon D2000
These are all between $200 and $300.

I have so much money, if I don't spend as much as I can I will not be happy. I also like to make people jealous.

iem
UE 10pro
UE 11pro
These two will set you back about a thousand dollars.

full size
Denon D5000
Grado RS2
Grado RS1
Alessandro MS Pro
[d]Grado HP1/2/3
[d]Grado PS1
Grado GS1000
Audiotechnica W5000
Audiotechnica AD2000
[d]AKG K1000
[d]Sony R10
[d]Sony Qualia 010
Stax Omega II
[d]Sennheiser Orpheus (HE90 HEV70)
These range from about $350 (AD2000) to about $2000 (Omega II, no amp) for the current production headphones. The discountinued headphones (marked [d]) on this range from about $1000 (AKG K1000) to about $15,000 (Orpheus), market price.

Things not to buy at all
Bose anything: You're paying for the brand, not for the product. They would be fantastic - If they were about $100 cheaper, for their headphones. Much better headphones exist at much lower prices.

Skullcandy: Think of taking the cheapest crap you can find, putting on an ugly skull logo, painting it in tacky colors that would appeal to the same people that the NZXT Guardian. They sound like !%@, too.

Active noise cancelling
Not really suggested; they use an additional battery, they have a very high pitched squealing sound when they're on, and they don't block out all noise, only noise like engine noise, and car noises. Not people talking noise, mostly. Instead, try a nice pair of IEM's.

">

Sennheiser%20HD%20280%20Pro.jpg

I was tired of crappy earbud headphones, I tried a few in-ear buds but they were too uncomfortable. After a lot of research I decided to step up a I nabbedthese Sennheisers. I got them for about 80 about a year and a half ago, they should be less than that now.

I wish I would have made the switch years ago.

logo.gif
.ORG

there's only a handful people here who knows what they're talking about when it comes toaudio.

In-ear Beats by Dre are garbage. ~$150
Pro: Style, "tangle-less" cord design
Con: High's are to high, Low's aren't even present, expensive

In-ear Sony Xtra BASS are decent - ~$60
Pro: Good response, Low's kick.
Con: The design of the headphones are a bit off, they have a tendency to fall out sometimes.

I'm gonna pick up the Bose Quiet Comfort 3's soon, I'll let you know how they fit.

i recommend that you extend your price range. My reccommendations:
For your budget:

a little outside your budget

Splurge and have eargasms all day

Full-size headphones offer a better spectrum of sound and typically have better sound quality than comparable in-ear or earphones. Sennheiser and Denon makethe best quality headphones (IMO)
Sony MDR and V series are very good as well.
Peep Amazon to get discontinued models at very good discounted prices....probably better than the discount youd get from Best Buy.

I was peeping those sennheisers on the website , I forgot the employee price but they're nice.

I'm just unsure of how much to drop on headphones since i'm just listening to mp3 , not too familiar with AAC/lossless

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

I was peeping those sennheisers on the website , I forgot the employee price but they're nice.

I'm just unsure of how much to drop on headphones since i'm just listening to mp3 , not too familiar with AAC/lossless

Even with mp3s, youll notice the difference. Bass sounds fuller and you will actually be able to hear the difference between a mid and a hi. normal headphonestend to muddle these together. theres really no "corerect price" to spend on a pair f headphones. price does not always dictate quality. Its all whatfits in your budget. I have a very good pair of Sony MDRs that i got for half off ($80) Im completely satisfied with the sound quality...much better than theBose Triports i had my eye set on.

Originally Posted by raptors29

I need some headphones that don't hurt.

Sennheisers have very comfortable earcups.
I've used these everyday for the past year. I can wear them for hours on end and not feel discomfort at all

official eh?

good idea. headphone threads pop up pretty often.

hey audiophiles - is there really a big difference between the shure se110s and se210s?

i have the 210s but they crapped out on me. my mom lost the receipt so i can't send them in for free repair anymore

im trying to save money so i was wondering if i should save 100 or so and get the 110s or if i should man up and get 210s again or even upgrade to 310s.

once again, is there really a big difference between the 210s and the 110s?

Originally Posted by Physicx

official eh?

good idea. headphone threads pop up pretty often.

hey audiophiles - is there really a big difference between the shure se110s and se210s?

i have the 210s but they crapped out on me. my mom lost the receipt so i can't send them in for free repair anymore

im trying to save money so i was wondering if i should save 100 or so and get the 110s or if i should man up and get 210s again or even upgrade to 310s.

once again, is there really a big difference between the 210s and the 110s?

I think your best bet would be to go with another pair of se210s. The 110s had issues with hi's, and the 310s are not worth the premium you pay over areplacement pair of 210s. Do keep in mind tho that all 3 of these models are noise cancelling, which takes away from the quality of overall sound.

Originally Posted by acekilla408

Beats(dr.dre's brand) i think its about$180 for earbuds and $245 for headphones

do not listen to this man either. For the price, Beats are terrible headphones. Youre paying for the Monster name, which im sure you know all about working atBest Buy
03e15cef99a12ee6bbd03219196dd61dd9b05d1.gif

Beats have deep bass....and thats about it. mids and hi's muddle together, and they have terrible sound leakage. They do look nice though. I havent triedthe earbud version, so those could be a better buy. Im willing to bet against it though.

Originally Posted by VanillaGorillaDX

I have a fairly low budget (around 70-110).. should I go with Etymotic or Shure?

heaphones or earphones? with that budget you can get a decent pair of headphones, or even a pair on sale. I reccommend the Sennheiser 555
Sennheiser 555

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Originally Posted by VanillaGorillaDX

I have a fairly low budget (around 70-110).. should I go with Etymotic or Shure?

heaphones or earphones? with that budget you can get a decent pair of headphones, or even a pair on sale. I reccommend the Sennheiser 555
Sennheiser 555

Oh yeah, I'm looking for in-ears. I'd love to get full-size Sennheiser's but the portablity issue is holding me back.

Back
Top Bottom